• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJMAX Technika tune (Vita) Features music from KARA.

I apologize, but what kind of game this is? A musical game similar to Guitar Hero/Rockband and their ilk? I read the wiki but it just explain the gameplay modes but not what kind of gameplay I can expect if I buy this.

Seems interesting. Can someone explain to me about its gameplay, and what makes it enjoyable?

For something more familiar I'd compare it to something like Elite Beat Agents (mixed with Lumintes? Heh).

First off, here's a video of pretty much the easiest song on the easiest setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJiTEy5PbE

That shows mostly just basic taps. There's a bunch of different types of hits but the general idea is that the screen is split horizontally into halves and you have a timer bar that sweeps across one half and then the other. When the bar crosses over a circle you tap it on the screen. Aside from tapping there's some you have to slide along, some you hold your finger in place, others that require multiple taps (shown by a bar that extends out from the tap with vertical lines on it, you tap the original circle each time it crosses a vertical crossing line). And then as it gets harder it uses back touch for both holds and the multi-taps. For those your finger placement doesn't matter as long as you hit the back but they combine with front taps and your brain explodes.

Here's a harder song showing more of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP3xFhZl2-U

That's actually the easiest song on the hardest pattern setting, I believe.

That should explain pretty much all of the gameplay I believe.

Edit: Oh, anything with a purple background on the second video is where back touch is being used. And Fever makes it so every hit counts as a 100% hit (percentage is just timing accuracy).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For something more familiar I'd compare it to something like Elite Beat Agents (mixed with Lumintes? Heh).

First off, here's a video of pretty much the easiest song on the easiest setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJiTEy5PbE

That shows mostly just basic taps. There's a bunch of different types of hits but the general idea is that the screen is split horizontally into halves and you have a timer bar that sweeps across one half and then the other. When the bar crosses over a circle you tap it on the screen. Aside from tapping there's some you have to slide along, some you hold your finger in place, others that require multiple taps (shown by a bar that extends out from the tap with vertical lines on it, you tap the original circle each time it crosses a vertical crossing line). And then as it gets harder it uses back touch for both holds and the multi-taps. For those your finger placement doesn't matter as long as you hit the back but they combine with front taps and your brain explodes.

Here's a harder song showing more of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP3xFhZl2-U

That's actually the easiest song on the hardest pattern setting, I believe.

That should explain pretty much all of the gameplay I believe.

Can't view YouTube right now but will check later, thanks :)

Can't view YouTube right now but will check later, thanks :)

Well, here's a quick screen I found online that should give you a decent visual of some of the stuff I explained. You can see the timing bar on the top-half of the screen (blue vertical bar). Time your taps when it sweeps over the circles. It goes left-to-right on top and right-to-left on bottom. The areas on the screen with solid blue and purple backgrounds are back touch. Blue are holds (just keep your finger on the circle, don't move it along the path) and the purple are multi-taps where you hit the circle for each vertical line as the timing bar crosses

DKXLP.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well, here's a quick screen I found online that should give you a decent visual of some of the stuff I explained. You can see the timing bar on the top-half of the screen (blue vertical bar). Time your taps when it sweeps over the circles. It goes left-to-right on top and right-to-left on bottom. The areas on the screen with solid blue and purple backgrounds are back touch. Blue are holds (just keep your finger on the circle, don't move it along the path) and the purple are multi-taps where you hit the circle for each vertical line as the timing bar crosses

DKXLP.jpg

Aahhh I see. It really is more similar to Elite Beat Agents then Guitar Hero and such and such. It kind of sort of similar to Theaterhythm too. Hmm, I see. Thanks.

Gonna buy it I think, need a good game for my Vita and this looks nice :)

Aahhh I see. It really is more similar to Elite Beat Agents then Guitar Hero and such and such. It kind of sort of similar to Theaterhythm too. Hmm, I see. Thanks.

Gonna buy it I think, need a good game for my Vita and this looks nice :)

I'd say it's worth it but I've been a fan of the DJ Max games since the first Portable on PSP that I imported years ago.

A couple things to be aware of:

- Difficulty in the options doesn't change the patterns (that I know of) and is only to determine how much health you lose for a miss and likely how much you gain back for hitting notes. The trade-off is that you get more points on higher difficulties.

- The rear touch controls can be turned off completely and due to some awkwardness in holding while playing some people prefer to play without rear touch. Turning it off doesn't change the patterns but instead requires you to use regular front touch for all the rear touch hits instead. I tried this and found I did much worse as it's way too much to try to process on the front screen and often requires a lot of hits with double taps (two notes lined vertically so you have to use two fingers to hit). Add to that trying to do hold notes while tapping others on the front and your fingers can get twisted up pretty badly. I use someone else's mentioned way of holding the Vita for rear touch play: Thumb is on front of the Vita (around the center of the left edge) with index on rear top and ring finger on rear bottom. This holds it in place while leaving the middle finger free to tap on the rear rather easily.

...and that's pretty much it.

Edit: There's more things that can be explained but I figure you know enough to decide if you want to buy it and from there you can ask questions as they come up and explore the game as you please. It also starts you with a tutorial so you won't be jumping in completely blind.

I apologize, but what kind of game this is? A musical game similar to Guitar Hero/Rockband and their ilk? I read the wiki but it just explain the gameplay modes but not what kind of gameplay I can expect if I buy this.

Seems interesting. Can someone explain to me about its gameplay, and what makes it enjoyable?

If I could articulate that properly, we'd have an OT already (lol)

I think the PlayStation blog entry does the best job describing and demonstrating the game so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw, it's too bad this doesn't have an OT or anything, though, because it's definitely one of the most addictive games I've played all year next to Lumines. Backgrounds are great as usual. It deserves lots of attention despite the release date blunders.

Also, loving the selection of Kara songs in this (I'm happy that Mister made it!). All of the songs are great.

Aw, it's too bad this doesn't have an OT or anything, though, because it's definitely one of the most addictive games I've played all year next to Lumines. Backgrounds are great as usual. It deserves lots of attention despite the release date blunders.

Also, loving the selection of Kara songs in this (I'm happy that Mister made it!). All of the songs are great.

We pretty much have everything for an OT set except all the prose. If you want to contribute some writing, feel free!

the gf got me 50 bucks on psn and said to use it specially for this game (since she couldn't find anywhere that sold the physical copy)

fucking love this game. I do find the club mixes a little difficult but I'm trying to be patient as I've only had this game for a few days

Roubjon

Besides the nice presentation of the game, I'm really impressed with how all of the note charts are completely on sync with the music. Most of the time there are a couple of songs that are noticeably awkward, but I haven't found a single song that's like that yet, and I'm pretty close to have playing all the songs in the game after just unlocking the last Club Mixing stage.

The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the odd leaderboard ranking decisions that only rank your accumulated scores, the fact that you can't play the hardest note charts in freestyle mode, and that glitch that mutes all of the button presses after letting go of a orange hold note early. Overall it's really fun, but I still enjoy the traditional button DJMAX more.

ss_lemonade

Are there any guides or tips on how to play this? For some reason I sometimes keep getting low scores or misses even when I properly time my presses. Its like the game sometimes doesn't register my taps properly. Also I noticed the game sometimes hanging for a bit whenever I open up some menus. Game also froze on me once when I selected a song

Also, I just noticed the option to disable the rear touch panel. Does this make it play like the arcade then?

Roubjon

Are there any guides or tips on how to play this? For some reason I sometimes keep getting low scores or misses even when I properly time my presses. Its like the game sometimes doesn't register my taps properly. Also I noticed the game sometimes hanging for a bit whenever I open up some menus. Game also froze on me once when I selected a song

The hanging on loading is normal, and I've also had the game freeze on me a couple of times. And for registering your presses, the game is really accurate when it comes to that, so I'm thinking it definitely has to be the way you are hitting the notes. Make sure you are hitting exactly on top of them, because early on when I started playing it I found that I would often hit above or below a note and get a miss.

Also, I just noticed the option to disable the rear touch panel. Does this make it play like the arcade then?

Make sure you are not tapping the screen with your fingernails, as capacitive touch screens don't react to that. Trim your fingernails if necessary.

Yes, disabling rear touch makes gameplay closer to the arcade.

I was out this weekend so I didn't notice that they had announced LE ordering was going to reopen at noon today.

Going by comments on the Facebook page, they only had around 65 copies and they were gone within 5 minutes.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I kept wondering why I couldn't find this in stores... for some reason I thought it maybe hadn't come out yet.

I wonder why stores haven't purchased this game for sale? It's niche, but you'd think they'd buy a few copies...

Just bought it direct.

Wonko_C

I kept wondering why I couldn't find this in stores... for some reason I thought it maybe hadn't come out yet.

I wonder why stores haven't purchased this game for sale? It's niche, but you'd think they'd buy a few copies...

Just bought it direct.

It's so niche that stores don't want it. It looks like Play-Asia will stock it soon, though.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
It's so niche that stores don't want it. It looks like Play-Asia will stock it soon, though.

I mean, I guess that's the great benefit of digital... niche titles don't have to take a massive print run risk. I just wanted a physical version of it.

FML. Just broke my 33K combo in freestyle mode. Totally my fault, since I could have just closed the game through the Vita OS, but I'd just used my last anti-break and thought I could make it to the end of the song. ;_; Guess I'm sticking to easy songs when I try for that retarded 99K trophy again.

On the plus side, that sound glitch, although distracting, is really funny when it happens in a KARA song because it lets you hear the chipmunky autotuned backing vocals.

JEKKI

maaaaaaaaan I finally got this game it's a lot of fun!!

but real hard! I wanna play with my point fingers but then you cant touch the back,

but when u wanna touch the back playing with your thumbs is hard >_<

Roubjon

maaaaaaaaan I finally got this game it's a lot of fun!!

but real hard! I wanna play with my point fingers but then you cant touch the back,

but when u wanna touch the back playing with your thumbs is hard >_<

When you use the backtouch, you still shouldn't play with your thumbs. What I do is hold the vita with my left hand, using my middle finger for backtouch and then use my right pointer finger for front touch.

MrBS

Level 45 I think at the moment. This game has been taking up all my portable time. So much for catching up on Corpe Party of playing Persona 4 at all its just this game all the time. Love it.

When you use the backtouch, you still shouldn't play with your thumbs. What I do is hold the vita with my left hand, using my middle finger for backtouch and then use my right pointer finger for front touch.

Just got this yesterday, but that's how I'm playing it too. Without fail, one of the following happens, though:

1. My grip on the Vita slips when I'm doing a back press+hold.
2. My index finger drifts onto the rear touchpad and I lose credit on back press+holds
3. I readjust my grip during a menu and accidentally exit the game.

I wish these guys designed the game with some form of ergonomics in mind. Really my only complaint so far, but it's kinda big.

web01

Do you think we will ever get DLC? I have lost all faith tbh considering how long the JP/Korean versions have been out.

They could probably make more money from a Technika Tune Vita 2 in a year plus from now and I would be ok with that anyway.

Another thought is they really fucked up not finding a way to have a proper EU release after all these DJ Max games.
From what I understand the music for the most part is made for the game in house so it cant really be a licensing issue.
And there is nothing to translate except a couple menu screens.

JEKKI

ahhhh skillz.

yeay when I play I jus hold it w/ my left hand in the middle of the unit, I guess your way makes more sense, gonna try it now!

Do you think we will ever get DLC? I have lost all faith tbh considering how long the JP/Korean versions have been out.

They could probably make more money from a Technika Tune Vita 2 in a year plus from now and I would be ok with that anyway.

Another thought is they really fucked up not finding a way to have a proper EU release after all these DJ Max games.
From what I understand the music for the most part is made for the game in house so it cant really be a licensing issue.
And there is nothing to translate except a couple menu screens.

The DLC issue is the only reason why I haven't imported yet. The only DJ Max game that arrived in Europe was DJ Max Fever and it's no longer on the store (at least the last time I looked). Not sure if PM Studios (who gratefully brought it over) survived to tell the tale.

Roubjon

So I'm confused as hell about how the ranking works in this game. It's a total accumulation of all your scores right? But, for example let's say you are playing star mixing. Would this mean that every time you clear a song the score you got in that is added to your total score? Or is it rather that it starts out that for every song the score is 0, and the total accumulated score is the highscores of all of the songs added together? In this second case, it means that there is technically a max score that a person can get, as opposed to the first case where it's an endless free for all and whoever plays the most gets in first place.

I really hope it's the second case, although that means that I have to grind to level 99 before I can start climbing my way through the ranks and be numbuh 1.

So I'm confused as hell about how the ranking works in this game. It's a total accumulation of all your scores right? But, for example let's say you are playing star mixing. Would this mean that every time you clear a song the score you got in that is added to your total score? Or is it rather that it starts out that for every song the score is 0, and the total accumulated score is the highscores of all of the songs added together? In this second case, it means that there is technically a max score that a person can get, as opposed to the first case where it's an endless free for all and whoever plays the most gets in first place.

I really hope it's the second case, although that means that I have to grind to level 99 before I can start climbing my way through the ranks and be numbuh 1.

Free-for-all score total. At least I'm pretty sure it's that as I believe my score was going up even when replaying songs (and going up by the full point total, not just the points difference for improving).

Not the optimum leaderboard. Also, people initially were adding each other on here but I haven't seen anything for viewing friends or anything like that. There's no friend leaderboards, right? Also kind of lame.

Roubjon

So is anyone still playing this? I wonder how well it sold, I guess I could go through the rankings in star mixing and see the lowest rank or something to get a rough and probably extremely inaccurate idea.

MrBS

After unlocking every song and playing them all at least once I'm done for the time being. Now back into Corpse Party again and enjoying myself. Addiction over.... for now.

oldmario

After unlocking every song and playing them all at least once I'm done for the time being. Now back into Corpse Party again and enjoying myself. Addiction over.... for now.

To unlock all songs is it as simple as just doing the ranks since this is more of an arcade style game rather than the old DJMax games

So is anyone still playing this? I wonder how well it sold, I guess I could go through the rankings in star mixing and see the lowest rank or something to get a rough and probably extremely inaccurate idea.

I've gotten up to 7/8-star songs in club mixing (eerily similar to where I plateaued in DDR forever ago) but at this point I'm just grinding to hit level 99 since I pretty much feel like I'm done with the game. It's been a fun ride, though!

is EU seriously not getting this ??

I'm getting to the point of tired of waiting for ANY news

Pentavision has no subsidiary or publishing partner in EU so I don't see it happening. You can try bugging local publishers to at least show there is some interest, but I find it hard to imagine there would be a significant number of people who would buy it that didn't import it by now.

hamchan

Let's all just brainstorm a name now to get the OT out there. It's way too late already and the game deserves more recognition.

Top Bottom