• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we all agree that Nintendo is having a "soft launch" with Switch?

Peltz

The problem is that Zelda is a port of a Wii U game. We'll see how many decide to upgrade platforms to play it on the Switch. The same goes for Mario Kart.

To be honest, unless Splatoon 2 has a really new and fantastic single player mode, even that just feels like a remixed port rather than a full sequel. Kind of like what Unreal Tournament 2004 was to UT2003.

4Tran

A soft launch is one where the manufacturer is selling only a limited amount of product. It's similar to how some films will open to limited release before opening wide a couple fo weeks later. The Switch is aiming for 2 million units, so that's not soft by any stretch of the imagination. You can call it a bad launch, but that's something a bit different.

The Switch strikes me as a half measure that will end up satisfying very few people.

There's no real demand for console level games "on the go." The PSP and the Vita both offered this and neither one really set the world on fire. The Nvidia shield tablet is similar hardware and was doomed to obscurity.

The mobile market is fairly robust and seems perfectly happy with low tech timewasters.

The switch being a relatively powerful handheld has traded very low battery life to hit a performance level few mobile users are demanding. No Android integration means it can't replace a phone or tab.

Ironically all that power is only a third of what the Xbox one or Ps4 offer even when docked, so it's nowhere near as powerful as it needs to be to address the needs of console users or receive third party ports. From a home console perspective the switch will end up exactly where the WiiU was...too weak to receive ports of ps4/Xbox one/PC games and needing an exclusive build just for it.

Without the userbase to merit the effort, third parties will just abandon it, leading to Nintendo doing all the heavy lifting again and months long software droughts.

Nintendo should have gone all in on mobile OR a home system. The hybrid approach is flawed from the jump.
These are all inherent problems with a hybrid system, and they are the reasons why I thought that Nintendo would go with a more traditional handheld / home console approach instead. I can see why they tried to do things this way, but the risks seem to be overwhelming without the benefit of pulling in any new audience.

Peltz

If preorders are sold out everywhere, doesn't that mean they already sold 2 million for day one? Or do they not allocate the entire first shipment for preorders?

The latter. Preorders are usually around 10%-20% of the total allotment (but that's just me estimating).

Also, the 2 million number is for March. This thing launches on March 3rd, so that doesn't mean there will be 2 million Switches even available on day 1. That is an extremely conservative estimate of demand by Nintendo for the first month.

flkraven

For the records, the Wii U had the biggest launch -- and most exclusives at launch -- of the current gen consoles, and look where it got them. The SNES launched with five games.

33cNYj6.png

This list is at least partially wrong. Injustice didn't come out on Xbox One.

Calm Mind

I would not call it the greatest but it is definitely a step in the right direction from past Nintendo platform launches. I don't think anyone should be bringing up the PS4 or Xbox One launch lineups at all. Most of their launch games were available on last gen hardware.

x17th

Neo Member
The Scorpio has the benefit of a continuing ecosystem, while Switch is starting from scratch all over again.
If the price difference is only $100, I'd say Switch would be a tough sell. Especially given Microsoft's aggressive promos of giving people everything but the kitchen sink.

The effect of the Scorpio on the Switch is indeed minimal, and I don't expect it to be a major thing. It's just one of those small thoughts a person might have that'll get put on their unconscious list that convinces them whether it's worth it or not. Hardware wise, at least the Nintendo Switch won't be competing with a lot this holiday (i think).

Still a risk though. Just like people said Mario 3D World, or Mario Kart 8 or Smash etc would save the Wii U. Or how well the PS4 sold with a weak first year or exclusives, showing the western third party games Nintendo doesn't get are what really move hardware and brand mindshare (and ms ruining theirs with the X1 reveal) determine which platform people buy to play them.

I don't think Scorpio will matter much. People that want the "most powerful console ever" are probably largely disinterested in Nintendo and their underpowered hardware. The Halo, Gears, Forza crowd are largely disinterested in Mario, Zelda et al. For those that are interested, Nintendo is a secondary platform so still no affect beyond maybe waiting longer to buy Switch if they have to shell out for a Scorpio.

Nintendo just isn't directly competing with Sony or MS anymore. They're a platform that needs their diehards and portable gamers to buy en masse, some lapsed fans to come back and a fair amount of core gamers to pick one up as a complementary console of it's going to be a big success. Having a soft launch with a price many are finding high and getting blow back for things like paid online isn't a good first step to achieving that.

I agree that Nintendo isn't competing with Sony or MS anymore. I also see that their soft/forced launch with all the extra problems does not seem like it bodes well, but I'm mostly talking from the stand point that Nintendo Switch year 1 is set up to be dramatically better than the Wii U and other game consoles have ever achieved most likely.

Anyways I don't ultimately think a lot of console selling level games will "save" the Nintendo Switch, but I view them as things that put the Nintendo Switch in a better position than the Wii U had ever been in.

Yeah, I think Nintendo just wanted to be back in the picture, obviously that wasn't going to happen with the Wii U.

I would not call it the greatest but it is definitely a step in the right direction from past Nintendo platform launches. I don't think anyone should be bringing up the PS4 or Xbox One launch lineups at all. Most of their launch games were available on last gen hardware.

Exactly, all of them have boring ass launches, we just forgot about them when the games start coming out.

x17th

Neo Member
The latter. Preorders are usually around 10%-20% of the total allotment (but that's just me estimating).

Also, the 2 million number is for March. This thing launches on March 3rd, so that doesn't mean there will be 2 million Switches even available on day 1. That is an extremely conservative estimate of demand by Nintendo for the first month.

To help out with the numbers department, it can be estimated to be close to 2 Million day 1 though. Gamestop did say that they had 500,000 pre-orders as they are allowed to put out. Assuming the likes of Amazon, Wal-mart, and perhaps Best Buy altogether have 150 - 250k allowed for pre-orders, it can be somewhat safely assumed there is probably an extra 250k that will be available at launch that are for first come first serve.

So that would be about 1 Million, which is half of the total 2 Million for March. This is only a guess on my part based off the numbers Gamestop gave out though.

x17th

Neo Member
You're crazy if you think they're selling this thing without the dock. It's as integral to their pitch as the Wii remote was to the Wii.... especially when you consider the battery life.

Really? I actually think that selling it without the dock for the holidays would be an extremely smart move. It would put it at a price point where many many people would be willing to buy it at. $199.99 during Holidays would appeal to many people, as they will have access to all the games anyone with a dock would have. It is ultimately a portable gaming console with the capability of being a home console.

There was a rumor I recall how the home console version would be sold first, and then half a year later the portable version would come out afterwards. This rumor was like May 2016 I think...don't know though. But this would give it a nice set up for holiday 2017 if that were the case.

Edit: It's a lot easier to convince people to buy in increments than it is to drop $500 - $600 up front, as Xbox and Sony have both learned the hard way in their own respective generations with the PS3, and the Xbox One + Kinect.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that Nintendo isn't competing with Sony or MS anymore. I also see that their soft/forced launch with all the extra problems does not seem like it bodes well, but I'm mostly talking from the stand point that Nintendo Switch year 1 is set up to be dramatically better than the Wii U and other game consoles have ever achieved most likely.

Anyways I don't ultimately think a lot of console selling level games will "save" the Nintendo Switch, but I view them as things that put the Nintendo Switch in a better position than the Wii U had ever been in.

It's a great first year for Nintendo fans like me if everything hits. I'm just not seeing where it appeals to people who never bought a Wii U despite the library it built overtime and especially to those who also didn't buy a 3DS.

It seems like they think the play anywhere concept will make the same type of game library appealing where the Wii U concept failed. Maybe they're right. I don't see it as it's a pretty serious gamer niche that games On consoles and portables rather than one or the other. I think the bigger problem is they just long ago lost touch with mainstream gamer tests when the marker shifted to the west and they've gradually lost their base as people aged out of gaming and/or just got tired of their stale franchises.

They really need to use the extra development resources they have from not having to support two platforms and take some chances on creating new, big budget IP that have appeal beyond their base. Take some stabs at FPS, Tomb Raider/Uncharted/ type game, WRPG, cinematic games with art styles that appeal to the west. Make those gamers have some things they really want to play so they see those and go "Hey I can buy a Wii U and play that awesome new game and also check out Mario Kart and Smash." Where MK and Smash et all weren't enough to make them pick up a Wii U.

You're crazy if you think they're selling this thing without the dock. It's as integral to their pitch as the Wii remote was to the Wii.... especially when you consider the battery life.

You can still ''switch'' with the joycons, there's a lot of people out there who don't game on TV.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

People said the same thing about the Xbox One and Kinect. That they'd never sell it without it as it was a key focus of their message, the OS was built around it etc.

If the Switch sells like shit, they'll try something else rather than just doing nothing like with Wii U. Unless they're ready to just say fuck it and focus on mobile I guess.

I do agree they probably wouldn't just make a dockless SKU as it's too hammered in size and battery life as a pure portable.

If it fails I think they'd do very different and lower cost skus. A smaller portable with built in controls (not joycons) and a better battery. A small console with a console 500gb hard drive and a pro controller packed in. Both support joy cons sold separately for the few games that require them like 1 2 Switch and what not (few games as this only happens if the Switch fails to sell)

x17th

Neo Member
It's a great first year for Nintendo fans like me if everything hits. I'm just not seeing where it appeals to people who never bought a Wii U despite the library it built overtime and especially to those who also didn't buy a 3DS.

It seems like they think the play anywhere concept will make the same type of game library appealing where the Wii U concept failed. Maybe they're right. I don't see it as it's a pretty serious gamer niche that games On consoles and portables rather than one or the other. I think the bigger problem is they just long ago lost touch with mainstream gamer tests when the marker shifted to the west and they've gradually lost their base as people aged out of gaming and/or just got tired of their stale franchises.

They really need to use the extra development resources they have from not having to support two platforms and take some chances on creating new, big budget IP that have appeal beyond their base. Take some stabs at FPS, Tomb Raider/Uncharted/ type game, WRPG, cinematic games with art styles that appeal to the west. Make those gamers have some things they really want to play so they see those and go "Hey I can buy a Wii U and play that awesome new game and also check out Mario Kart and Smash." Where MK and Smash et all weren't enough to make them pick up a Wii U.

In a way the other major problem is indeed the $300 price point. The suggestion by someone else for a $199.99 version without the dock would actually make it more appealing since it can then appeal in the manner of being within 3DS price range as the "next gen handheld console". I do not doubt the validity of 3rd party titles, but I also agree that Nintendo needs to just get the Switch into as much hands as possible as I don't believe 3rd party will come on their own.

If they do what they did like with Hyrule Warriors and allowed 3rd parties access to their IPs, I also think that would be a nice direction for them to take as well.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
In a way the other major problem is indeed the $300 price point. The suggestion by someone else for a $199.99 version without the dock would actually make it more appealing since it can then appeal in the manner of being within 3DS price range as the "next gen handheld console". I do not doubt the validity of 3rd party titles, but I also agree that Nintendo needs to just get the Switch into as much hands as possible as I don't believe 3rd party will come on their own.

If they do what they did like with Hyrule Warriors and allowed 3rd parties access to their IPs, I also think that would be a nice direction for them to take as well.

I think a cheaper console only version would be a better route if Switch fails. The western market is much bigger than Japan and portables are decling rapidly here.

As above, if it fails I'd do a separate redesigned console and portable version that shared games. Get price down and see if it does better at a lower cost where the single use gamers can buy the model that fits their needs. Keep Switch around for those who want both console and portable mode.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel like the Switch will almost surpass the WiiU in it's first year.
Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade (sure haha), Mario Kart, Splatoon...
Can't think of many other noteworthy WiiU titles except Smash tbh.

Obviously there are some, but for the first year that line-up looks pretty solid.
Of course at least 2 games on that list will be delayed, but still

Am I wrong to think Nintendo's first goals is to get the 3ds owners who didn't buy a Wii u to get in on the switch? Think about it wasn't there like 50 million more people who bought a 3ds then Wii u? People always talk about how they aren't going to get the ps4 or Xbox crowd but who cares? What about that 50 million 3's owners that clearly have interest in Nintendo stuff. That's all they need.

guek

Banned
Yup. I'm ok with it. I wish people who weren't would just wait to see if the console becomes appealing for them by the end of the year. It's not like console launches are historically strong anyway...

x17th

Neo Member
I think a cheaper console only version would be a better route if Switch fails. The western market is much bigger than Japan and portables are decling rapidly here.

As above, if it fails I'd do a separate redesigned console and portable version that shared games. Get price down and see if it does better at a lower cost where the single use gamers can buy the model that fits their needs. Keep Switch around for those who want both console and portable mode.

If this redesigned portable console is compatible with their dock, then I would view it as a fine decision in the end. It just mostly stood out to me that they are indeed selling the dock separately for $89.99 on Nintendo's website. While it could be for the sake of replacing a broken/lost dock, or for people who want multiple docks in their house; it could be used just for the sake of separating the hand held from the dock so as to lower the price point without redesigning anything.

Edit: A $199.99 Handheld Switch would certainly be more appealing to me, since the most expensive New Nintendo 3DS XL is also being sold for $199.99. In that grand scheme it can probably be viewed as a no brainer as well when you think about it (price wise definitely...software wise...?...depends lol).

flkraven

Am I wrong to think Nintendo's first goals is to get the 3ds owners who didn't buy a Wii u to get in on the switch? Think about it wasn't there like 50 million more people who bought a 3ds then Wii u? People always talk about how they aren't going to get the ps4 or Xbox crowd but who cares? What about that 50 million 3's owners that clearly have interest in Nintendo stuff. That's all they need.

What 3DS-style portable Switch games have been announced?

It may be true that they will be working out the kinks in the short term, but my purchase early on is a long term investment for me. Waiting to save $50 on a price cut or bundled game later down the line isn't that big of a deal to me and I'm sure Nintendo will have a few extra perks to give early adopters. I'm not in desperate need of games to play once it's out, so I can play through Zelda and then comfortably wait for more content while playing through my enormous backlog of games.

Also I wouldn't consider it a soft launch by how much they are planning on shipping and the seeming demand for the product so far. With sold out preorders almost everywhere they should have a strong launch and then a bit of a lull until the holiday season where they can be more aggressive pricing and software wise.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member

It would have been a lot easier to attract 3DS owners if the console was a bit cheaper and 3DS franchises (like Pokemon, FIre Emblem, and Animal Crossing) were coming sooner rather than later.

spekkeh

Banned
Not really. It doesn't have a crapton of shovelware like some of the other big recent console launches, but who actually needs it. Four months after the PS4 I had what to play? Assassins Creed 4? Fucking dismal. If you don't own a Wii U it may well be the best console launch in recent history. With a few months you get the current best game of the generation (MK8), the freshest game of the generation (Splatoon), what looks to be the GOTF (Zelda), and then you have 3D Mario and an interesting new franchise (arms).

If you do have a Wii U though, it's decidedly less interesting.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It may be true that they will be working out the kinks in the short term, but my purchase early on is a long term investment for me. Waiting to save $50 on a price cut or bundled game later down the line isn't that big of a deal to me and I'm sure Nintendo will have a few extra perks to give early adopters. I'm not in desperate need of games to play once it's out, so I can play through Zelda and then comfortably wait for more content while playing through my enormous backlog of games.

Yeah I'm buying early for the same reasons, other than not having a big backlog.

Nintendo is a third platform for me behind PC and PS4. No matter how many games they put out in a year, it's rare for me to buy more than 5 or so Nintendo games in any given year as I have too much to play on my main platforms.

There's easily 4 or 5 games I want to play on Switch this year, so it's a no brained to buy at launch so I can keep up with those. If I wait a year or two to buy, I'd not get back to most of those games and probably only get to Zelda and Mario.

Again, I'm not a backlog builder any more. I buy a game and don't buy another one until I'm done with that (finished or abandoned). Buying day one gives me a better chance of playing most of the games that interest me. Buying later I won't play as many games as I'm always more focused on the latest and greatest and playing what I can both be enjoying playing and discussing in active OTs etc.

What 3DS-style portable Switch games have been announced?

What's a 3DS-style game?

3DS got OoT 3D and Switch gets Breath of the Wild

3DS got Mario Kart 7 and Switch gets Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

3DS got Hyrule Warriors Legends and Switch gets Fire Emblem Warriors

3DS got Fire Emblem Awakening and Switch gets its own full-fledged Fire Emblem

3DS got Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Switch gets what is presumably SMT 5

3DS got BoI, Switch gets BoI

3DS got Lego City Undercover, Switch gets Lego City Undercover

3DS got Xenoblade Chronicles, Switch gets Xenoblade 2

3DS got Dragon Quest ports like 7 and 8, Switch gets Dragon Quest ports like 10 and 11

3DS got Bravely Default, Switch gets Octopath Traveler by the same team

3DS got SSF4, Switch gets Ultra Street Fighter 2

3DS got Shovel Knight, Switch gets Shovel Knight

3DS got Cave Story, Switch gets Cave Story

Yes I agree.

I believe the hw is great, has lots of stuff and features, it is loaded, I hope it is a success.

Motion controls+
Local MP anywhere
HD Rumble
Portability

Now the games. It is no secret the launch is barren, although almost everyday we get a minor announcement and Zelda makes for like 3 games IMO, it is looking amazing.

If 3rd parties are waiting on it, then the success obviously lies in people liking the product itself (HW) and Nintendo delivering on the promise of more frequent releases.

The promise of all VC on the Switch, including Wii and GCN, all studios focused on one device or architecture, indies and some games from third parties is enough for me, the portability is the greatest feature next to the HD Rumble.

I think we will get Japanese 3rd parties, and some Western, I could see some fighting games, sports games, maybe racing games and smaller RPGs.

I posted this in another thread , but do you think that press have had hands on with the online and are under NDA? I ask because it struck me was that none of the big gaming websites have reported on the voice app debacle that had started to spread - not what i have seen anyway (ign, gamespot, Eurogamer).

It strikes me has odd because gaming websites don't really turn down chances to get clicks, and considering the furore it as caused on here , it make for a great story. The gaming press have never turned down opportunities to create stories on what someone has said in an interview before.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I think Zelda has the potential to be one of the greatest games ever made. Laugh if you like. If that turns out to be the case, how many consoles have launched with a game of that calibre? I think, whether right or wrong, Nintendo are confident that it alone is enough to launch the system with. Time will tell very soon.

soultron

Banned
I think it sounds like a soft launch, yeah.
I say this as someone getting one at launch.
They're clearly only aiming for the most hardcore with Zelda being the day-one draw here. The ecosystem and services (online app mainly) aren't even really being advertised as complete yet, in my opinion. Nintendo has been clear about that.

I think you could call the proper launch more of a window than a specific date; leading from late summer and into the holiday season. There will be a few more big Nintendo titles released at that point and I think positive word of mouth from the hardcore base will expand the audience a bit.

D.Lo

Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
SSX
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Swing Away Golf
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad

yea...ps2 had a terrible launch lineup...
That was the US launch seven months after the actual launch in Japan, which was:

A-Train 6
Drum Mania
Eternal Ring
Kakinoki Shogi IV
Kessen
Mahjong Taikai III
Morita Shogi
Ridge Racer V
Stepping Selection
Street Fighter EX3

Jubenhimer

It should be very clear to anyone who can read between the lines that Nintendo is taking a very calculated approach with the Switch. Calling a home console, when it's so obviously not a home console just because they don't want the 3DS to die yet. Launching in March rather than fall. Purposefully not front-loading it with games at launch, not charging for online until the fall. The decision to unveil it as a 3 minnute trailer, instead of a proper reveal at E3. It not coming with any pack-in title, Large amount of expensive accessories. Shipping a suspiciously low amount of units. It should be blatantly obvious to people what is really going on here.

Nintendo is in hot water with share-holders, and the Switch needs to be very profitable, very fast. The best way to do this, in their eyes, is to milk the hardcore fans for a few months, then expand focus towards the end of the year. This can backfire heavily if Nintendo isn't careful, so I'd tread lightly if I were them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Am I wrong to think Nintendo's first goals is to get the 3ds owners who didn't buy a Wii u to get in on the switch?

There is a Monster Hunter game releasing on 3ds 15 days after Switch's launch. There is a FE game launching on 3ds in May. There are still so many exclusive games launching on 3ds this year. There is no Pokemon or MH game announced for Switch. Switch has a console price rather than a handheld price.

It's launching with Zelda (which didn't really reached full sales potential on 3ds) and games that try to emulate rather the Wii experience.

If Nintendo tries to sell Switch first to the 3ds owners then they're doing all the wrong moves for that.

yophlow

Banned
If this is the case for whatever reason, while the soft launch is happening and they are chasing their tails, the mobile and tablet market will continue to evolve to serve consumer's needs at a lightning pace.

You don't have a year to sort this out Nintendo.

it's coming out in March and then Mario comes out in the fall/winter so they have two launches.

basically the console will be out in time for this Christmas but w 9 months early access & new Zelda

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
To clarify my original agreement with the topic, I don't think this was a planned soft launch.

They just couldn't come close to getting their shit together for a launch this fall and missed that holiday season. In response to missing that the told their investors they'd launch in March and kind of had to stick with it. Delaying again would look bad. Especially for Zelda after dedicating nearly their entire E3 presence to it last year.

If they didn't have those pressures, I think the would have waited until October/November and launched during the holidays with the online service ready to go, Mario and Zelda at launch, and more stock ready to meet demand.

KAL2006

Banned
I will cancel my preorder. I have a backlog of games. And Switch is really expensive in the UK and the games are typical high price which is normal for a new console launch.

I've decided I'll pick up a Switch in the end of Summer around August or September when I'm expected to go on a long holiday so the portability will come in handy.

By then I'd have a nice backlog of games to buy
- Zelda
- Splatoon 2
- Mario Kart 8

And with a better look at what's in store for the future after E3. Hopefully Pokemon Stars is confirmed.

I'm not sure if having a lot of software/variety corresponds to a strong launch...

Maybe i'm defending Nintendo a bit too much here or putting too much emphasis on their own games but I would rather have a limited launch library that I can maximise the most time and enjoyment out of than a variety of games that collectively I won't enjoy as much.

The PS4 launched with a fair few games that could be played on the XB1 vice versa. But is that really what I want? Do I want to spend my time playing FIFA, CoD, Battlefield etc or engulf myself in an experience.

Okay sure, Zelda can be played on the WiiU, but if I was an outsider, I probably might enjoy having a limited library but a really great launch experience with a few selected titles.

It's hard to judge but hey...

I've always gone for the experience with Nintendo and it's never betrayed me.

Top Bottom