• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we all agree that Nintendo is having a "soft launch" with Switch?

King_Moc

Banned
A soft launch is just going to give the general public the idea that this thing is a failure. You don't go back from that. So no, I don't think that's what they're doing.

Spy

Is there a single game in March that isn't on another platform?
1, 2, Switch
Fast RMX
Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together!
Super Bomberman R
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Then there's a few more exclusives leading up to E3...

ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Puyo Puyo Tetris (digital exclusive)

120v

"soft launch" is a good way to put it. pretty obvious that was the approach ever since the March release window was announced.

the thing is pretty much a glorified Zelda machine for 6 months and i don't think nintendo is particularly trying to convince early adopters otherwise. nothing wrong with being critical but concerning launch lineup, availability, ect, Fall 2017 is what's really going to matter here.

A soft launch is just going to give the general public the idea that this thing is a failure. You don't go back from that. So no, I don't think that's what they're doing.

And yet Wii U launched with 30 titles in the biggest sales period of the year.

And yet 3DS had an identical launch to Switch.

AniHawk

"soft launch" is a good way to put it. pretty obvious that was the approach ever since the March release window was announced.

the thing is pretty much a glorified Zelda machine for 6 months and i don't think nintendo is particularly trying to convince early adopters otherwise. nothing wrong with being critical but concerning launch lineup, availability, ect, Fall 2017 is what's really going to matter here.

mario kart and splatoon are big franchises. the latest releases in those franchises sold more than the previous console zelda game (and while skyward sword had a handicap - so did mario kart 8 and splatoon). zelda is definitely an event title though, thanks to its placement at launch and the amount of attention it's received over the last several years. but those two games are definitely going to do good business - this isn't a wii u style drought where it was pikmin 3, nintendoland, nslu, game & wario, nsmbu, the wonderful 101, and sing party for its first ten months.

If by "soft" you mean "limp", then yeah.

This thing clearly wasn't ready for a March launch and it's clear from the launch lineup to the lack of basic streaming apps. If they could have released it during the Holiday, they would have been much better off.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't think people know what a soft launch really is. It certainly doesn't include taking preorders for two million units.

It's simply another botched launch from the company that does it best. The same company that once again had plenty of time to get their ducks in a row while their current system was on life support.

Nintendo is by far the most incompetent company in the business. Despite all of their fuck ups I've still been excited to get my hands on a unit on March 3rd. But this thread....just makes me want to cancel my preorder. Sounds like it's on death's door already and it hasn't even launched.

Jonnax

I think there is some aspect of trying to get the die hard fans on board first.

They are more willing to faff around with getting early preorders and forgiving of early bugs.

Zelda isn't really their mainstream title to sell the console.

Mario Kart is more like it. With it being essentially 2 months out of launch. (Late April vs Early March Launch) that's plenty of time for stock issues to die down.

It may be a counter measure to mad demand and subsequent impossibility to find a unit of the NES classic and original Wii.

Nintendo doesn't get scalper money past the selling price of the console.

Seems like all new hardware is a soft launch in one way or another. People just forget over time.

Yeah pretty much. A lot of people on here said that the X1 and PS4 should have launched 6-12 months later. Obviously PS4 done it a lot better than anyone else.

I don't think a soft launch will hurt them. I think the machine will get pretty good word of mouth once its in people's hands and that will start their momentum going into christmas.

Might be handy for them to provide a roadmap though.

AniHawk

Seems like all new hardware is a soft launch in one way or another. People just forget over time.

it does seem like people forgot how poor the 3ds's early months were. they know it did not sell well, but the fact that the eshop wasn't even on the machine at that time was a big indication of nintendo's preparedness for that platform.

Neff

And yet Wii U launched with 30 titles in the biggest sales period of the year.

And yet 3DS had an identical launch to Switch.

If we're strictly talking about launch, Wii U had the numbers but none of them were particularly compelling. A new Zelda, regardless of whether it's on Wii U or not, is a pretty good purchase incentive.

3DS had nothing of note for a long ass time and didn't really get anyone interested until 3D Land/MK7 came along later that year.

It's fair to say Switch has people more excited right now than 3DS and Wii U prior to launch, at least regarding that one system-selling title neither of Nintendo's previous two systems had.

it does seem like people forgot how poor the 3ds's early months were.

It was dire. I remember trying to convince myself of a reason to buy one, simply for the decadent thrill of owning new hardware at launch, and I couldn't. It had nothing.

If by "soft" you mean "limp", then yeah.

This thing clearly wasn't ready for a March launch and it's clear from the launch lineup to the lack of basic streaming apps. If they could have released it during the Holiday, they would have been much better off.
I'm hoping the whole Switch is a "soft console" and they announce the real thing in 6 months.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills that nobody is recognizing this.

Wii U: launched holiday season with 30 titles before anyone knew what it was = poor performance, setting a precedent for its future

3DS: launched in the spring with a sparse but strong lineup throughout the year, fully formed with at least 3 major titles by Christmas = great performance, setting a precedent for its future

How is it even controversial that the Switch would follow the 3DS model?

Baleoce

What'a with the Breath of the Wild Wii U denial?

I've no idea tbh. It's a bit odd. There will be a considerable amount of Wii U owners who will get it on that system. Myself included. I have no need to test the waters on a launch day system with little other immediate prospects other than BotW, when I can play it perfectly well on a device I already own.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Wii U: launched holiday season with 30 titles before anyone knew what it was = poor performance, setting a precedent for its future

3DS: launched in the spring with a sparse but strong lineup throughout the year, fully formed with at least 3 major titles by Christmas = great performance, setting a precedent for its future

3ds got a $80 price cut. If by this you mean following the 3ds model then yeah, Switch will be OK after a $80 price cut.

3ds got a $80 price cut. If by this you mean following the 3ds model then yeah, Switch will be OK after a $80 price cut.

Who can say whether it was the price or the games by that point?

Who can say whether Nintendo might actually have already planned to drop the Switch price by Christmas? Sounds like a good plan to me.

Pachinko

Yup , they want to get the launch out of the way primarily to have some cash coming in by fiscal year end. They also have 6 months to course correct (like they did with the 3DS back in 2011) if they must.

This is why I don't think it's worth rushing to buy one at launch , wait until September.

Baleoce

If it follows suit and comes down in price you may have a point. The price cut was arguably the biggest reason for its shift in momentum.

Don't be ridiculous.

Don't be ridiculous yourself. You act like the number is so important. Maybe it was just the fact that there had been a price drop at all within consumer memory, people feeling like they were getting a good deal. Maybe Switch can drop $20 and go into holiday with Zelda, Kart, Splatoon and Odyssey, and that'd be more than enough.

People made a huge deal about the 3DS's trifecta of strong games, both in Japan and in the US.

Harmen

I feel they could've easily spiced launch window up with more WiiU ports. Low risk in terms of budget and it helps to give the platform a good lineup early in its life. Furthermore, many people think the WiiU had zero appeal and missed out on some of its gems (me included).

I am interested in Mario and Zelda and like how the hardware is looking, but that is not nearly enough for me to drop 450 euros to be honest.

I think they went in too soft too, op.

I am fine with that characterization at the moment, though based on the evidence I am also suspicious of anyone saying that any recent console save maybe the Wii or PS2 did not have a soft launch

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't be ridiculous yourself. You act like the number is so important. Maybe it was just the fact that there had been a price drop at all within consumer memory, people feeling like they were getting a good deal. Maybe Switch can drop $20 and go into holiday with Zelda, Kart, Splatoon and Odyssey, and that'd be more than enough.

Yes, a 30% price cut is perceived in the same as 6% price cut.

New002

This isn't a "soft launch" imo. That just sounds like an attempt to rationalize what's going on. It's just their launch, and it is what it is.

I think the launch is soft but Bomberman, Snipperclips, and Zelda especially look good.
Reminds me of 3ds but the first party seems good this year.
Zelda
Mario
Splatoon 2
MK8D
Arms
Fire Emblem Warriors
1 2 Switch
and there is always E3 for more stuff.
I think we will see more 3rd party at E3.

From what you describe it doesn't sound like a soft launch but more of a forced launch. Anyone that follows the game industry and remotely likes Nintendo should be worried about those implications.

KageMaru

So are we calling horrible launches soft launches now? Didn't they delay the launch because they said they wanted to make sure to have things ready or was that just the reveal? It looks like it could use another 6 months in the oven.

Buggy Loop

it does seem like people forgot how poor the 3ds's early months were. they know it did not sell well, but the fact that the eshop wasn't even on the machine at that time was a big indication of nintendo's preparedness for that platform.

I want to add to this also that the DS had one of the shittiest no big hitters launch of all time too.

Zelda Botw, portable >>>>>> any handheld launch, it's not even comparable.

Hero

People seem to forget how crappy most system launches are.

From what you describe it doesn't sound like a soft launch but more of a forced launch. Anyone that follows the game industry and remotely likes Nintendo should be worried about those implications.

Anyone that follows the game industry and remotely likes Nintendo would know the kind of long term console health that Wii U's November launch resulted in, and what kind of long term console health the 3DS's February launch resulted in.

AniHawk

I want to add to this also that the DS had one of the shittiest no big hitters launch of all time too.

Zelda Botw, portable >>>>>> any handheld launch, it's not even comparable.

the ds looked like it was on its deathbed in the first five months of its life. it wasn't wii u levels, but the psp was a point of comparison and so was the gba. for the first couple months there was warioware touched, feel the magic, super mario 64 ds, and yoshi touch and go. kirby canvas curse was the first one that people formed a fairly positive consensus on, and that was april or may of 2005. it wasn't until nintendogs that the system was beginning to turn around. e3 2005 was particularly strong with sonic rush, castlevania dawn of sorrow, mario kart ds, and animal crossing ds all set for release in 2005, and other games like nsmbu, super princess peach, and metroid prime hunters scheduled for later in 2006.

Seik

Banned
If by launch we talking about day 1 releases, yep it is.

yR5AljN.gif

End of 2017 is promising as hell though.

I'm convinced that Nintendo internally wants the Switch to be this holiday, but having basically no home console for a year and investors breathing down their necks forced their hand.

I think it's launch year, should everything hit, is far stronger than either the xb1 or the PS4. Day 1 is skimpy though.

Neither XB1 or PS4 had a great launch lineup. But the Switch is competing (arguably, though I know someone would say it's not) with two systems that are now several years in, and will have a lot coming out in 2017.

Yeah I agree with the OP. They pretty much have to launch it this fiscal year. It's just not ready yet. I assume we will get a relaunch this fall.

Find me a USB C to HDMI adapter that also charges the USB C device for $5 please.

The Macbook equivalent (charger+cable+HDMI adapter) is $120.

You can't sell the switch without a power cable, so dropping the dock means Nintendo has to include a USB C to power plug adapter regardless if they drop the dock or not.

All that's left is a USB-A to hdmi hub/adapter and a bunch of plastic.

You can get that for less than $10, especially if you're a manufacturer buying in bulk and not some chump buying accessories at marked up prices off the shelf.

Top Bottom