• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you even consider the hygiene condition of characters in any game?

Kat from Gravity Rush is the one that comes to mind. She lives in a sewer pipe so I can't imagine her smelling good when she goes running around taking out bad guys.

Shock32

Final fantasy 15. When you go extended periods camping out in the wilderness, fighting monsters and going through dungeons. The thought of four sweaty dudes in the car all at once with the top up.

Orb

I feel like in some game worlds like Dark Souls, the smell is constant enough that everyone is so used to it they dont even realize it anymore.

Which game/series had tthe zombies that smell like fruit?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Man this thread is getting weird with this smelly lara talk...everyone in the witcher, geralt included, probably smells and all those villages likely smell like a mix of human and animal shit
Oh god, I remember one dude thinking a little too hard about a certain Last of Us character's menstral hygiene, and how the smell would affect enemy detection during gameplay. He just kept going on and on trying to justify his weird, grotesque comments. I've never fully recovered from that thread.

After just playing Uncharted LL the other day, it really showed with Chloe and Nadine near end game. The newer tomb raider games are also good for highlighting how grimy adventuring in outdoor environments for days at a time can be.

Most medieval games would smell like literal crap, especially around farmlands. I imagine the Fallout games would smell pretty bad, but tbh 3 and 4 have pretty bad excuses for their crappy settlements, since it is 200 years after and they still haven't gotten their shit together.

Though I always wondered what a Space Station like in most recent Prey would smell like, I imagine it would be rather sterile and smell like air conditioning since they would need to keep it climate controlled at all times, but your character does have their helmet on, so they probably wouldn't smell anything.

Only when characters are running around in sewer.
No heavy heaving, no puking, no puffy eyes and rarely a change of clothes after. It's a stupid trope setting made worse by Devs being unable to realistically portray it.

While my friends and I were playing Dying Light every time Jade appeared in a scene we'd yell "wipe your face" cause she had the same dirt splotches on her for however many day/night cycles we went through.

Toxi

Banned
Bloodborne

ggerowqlsie6cyygeaur.gif

zeemumu

I question how Lara Croft didn't lose every single one of her limbs to infection after being covered in cuts and stab wounds while trapped on an island rolling around rooms full of mud, dirty water, and corpses.

Alebrije

I question how Lara Croft didn't lose every single one of her limbs to infection after being covered in cuts and stab wounds while trapped on an island rolling around rooms full of mud, dirty water, and corpses.

Because she always carries

images

peakish

Nah but why do people not change clothes in games. What, they only got one set? I play games to explore other worlds, not my own shitty life

Yes, I have. I've also considered the fact that the protagonist doesn't get to hear the awesome music that's playing as they go through their adventure. It's pretty depressing.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Jokingly, it does explain why our heroes get attacked often.
If I was an animal or a monster I'd attack you as well if I had to unwillingly smell your stank swamp booty from a mile away.

It's the opposite. The artificial smell of cleaning product is what attracts wild animals. I usually just bring scentless, biodegradable shampoo and wash my hair and scrub my face every day. That's generally enough. Any faucet or lake will do.

Drewfonse

In Uncharted TLL I felt bad for the heroes constantly getting soaked in their jeans and t shirts.

After just playing Uncharted LL the other day, it really showed with Chloe and Nadine near end game. The newer tomb raider games are also good for highlighting how grimy adventuring in outdoor environments for days at a time can be.

I kept thinking, why the fuck are you wearing jeans? Some sturdy yoga pants would have been the ticket.

Main thing that really boggles my mind is how the fuck do they survive with feet getting wet. Did military training service a few months ago, and one of the war games ops required me to traverse swamps almost exclusively for 72h. My feet were wet almost all the time and I could barely walk in the end, feet being blistered and all. And that's with changing socks regularly. Ofc the boots sucked a bit but considering what the peeps in video games wear, jeez.
Many protagonists would have serious trench foot or some other form of immersion foot syndrome.

Plum

I kept thinking, why the fuck are you wearing jeans? Some sturdy yoga pants would have been the ticket.

Yeah, why do Nate and Sully wear jeans when going on their adventures? Why can't they wear sturdy yoga pants instead?

:)

Top Bottom