• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Bethesda will pull a “Fallout 4” with the next Wolfenstein’s release?

lcap

I mean, by pulling a “Fallout 4”, revealing and releasing the game in a short time span.

Well, at E3 2016 they teased a possible sequel titled The New Colossus with a mock cmd.exe screen showing their past games with their release dates and a “New_Colossus” folder with a “**-**-**” date.

wolfenstein-the-new-cd6rtq.jpg

In an interview in 2014 for GiantBomb, The New Order Creative Director, Jens Matthies, revealed that they had a very clear idea for a sequel.

“Matthies: We would love to do a sequel. We have a very, very clear idea of what we accomplished with this game, and what we want to accomplish with a sequel.”

Source:
A Conversation With Wolfenstein: The New Order's Jens Matthies

In 2015, Eurogamer reported that the actress behind Anya, Alicja Bachleda-Curuś, slipped on an interview that a sequel was in the works with a possible 2017 release.

"I'm working on a video game, first part of which I have already made. Now we're making a second one, which will take two more years.” said Alicja.

Source: The voice of The New Order's Anya strongly suggests a new Wolfenstein is in the works

During an interview last year for TwoLeftSticks, B. J. actor Brian Bloom revealed the following:

“I’ll be safe with this answer. If you look at Bethesda’s E3 2016 lineup there was a title hinted at in a cool way. It sparked a bit of wildfire. That subtle, very simple DOS language, going through the titles. Perhaps we’re working on that as we speak.”

Exploring Infinite Warfare With Actor/Writer Brian Bloom

And then, last week at Kinda Funny Gamescast, Bethesda marketing executive Pete Hines said he played Machine Games next game was fucking bananas.

"MachineGames has been hard at work on something, which I can tell you I have played," he explained. "It is f**king bananas. And I can't wait to show what it actually is."

Wolfenstein: The New Order Dev's Next Game Is "F**king Bananas," Bethesda Boss Says

About the release date, it’s just wild speculation right now but we can assume Machine Games next game will be revealed this year and hope for a Fallout 4 situation, where it was revealed in June and released in November.

So, what do you think? Would you like this possibility? What would you improve on the first game?

Bonus Points:

Listen to Mick Gordon song The Partisan for the game.

I can see it being a random GI cover before E3 and releasing early next year.

Wolfenstein doesn't have the pull Fallout has to pull that kinda short marketing cycle off. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it but at that point it would probably come from being cheap then anything

Bethesda could do what they did with Fallout because of how huge Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim were. I don't if Wolfenstein has quite the same pull.

Nah, these games need a longer PR and marketing track. There is also no "E3 moment" for them, since Bethesda seems to be happy to push these games in the spring (Wolfenstein, DOOM and now Prey each released in that timeframe) making it more difficult to do.

I do expect it with The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games going forward.

dr_rus

It's possible, but releasing a Wolfenstein title in autumn season would be a mistake so don't expect them to announce it anytime soon.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I was thinking of Wolfensteine last night actually, is that weird for a 28yr old? Anyway I am ready for this, Wolf is a game thats been with me since a kid. Id love there to be a multiplayer aswell but not sure what they would go for, a traditional Dm, TDM, CTF type or possibly a class/hero type shooter? Could be a good time to revive the type of multiplayer RTCW and Enemy Territory had, I know its not the same devs but maybe they can use the idea and put there own spin on it.

Nah. I do think we might see it at the stacked E3 Beth press conference this year though. For a Spring release.

New Colossus(Spring '18)
Evil Within 2 Teaser (Sep '18)
Prey (Sep)
Bethesda Space IP Teaser(Fall '18)
Dishonored Dlc
More Fallout or Skyrim DLC
1% Chance of Fallout New Orleans (I like to gamble my hopes away)
ESO Dlc

lcap

Nah. I do think we might see it at the stacked E3 Beth press conference this year though. For a Spring release.

New Colossus(Spring '18)
Prey (Sep)
Dishonored Dlc
ESO Dlc

Well, Prey is already slated for May 17.

I was thinking of Wolfensteine last night actually, is that weird for a 28yr old? Anyway I am ready for this, Wolf is a game thats been with me since a kid. Id love there to be a multiplayer aswell but not sure what they would go for, a traditional Dm, TDM, CTF type or possibly a class/hero type shooter? Could be a good time to revive the type of multiplayer RTCW and Enemy Territory had, I know its not the same devs but maybe they can use the idea and put there own spin on it.

Nope, I'm 28 year old as well and love the game. I actually played it after The Old Blood and was mind blown by the quality of the campaign.

I presume Wolfestein will get the announcement-release-cycle of Prey, not Fallout 4.

I can see it being a random GI cover before E3 and releasing early next year.

Wolfenstein doesn't have the pull Fallout has to pull that kinda short marketing cycle off. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it but at that point it would probably come from being cheap then anything

Nah, these games need a longer PR and marketing track. There is also no "E3 moment" for them, since Bethesda seems to be happy to push these games in the spring (Wolfenstein, DOOM and now Prey each released in that timeframe) making it more difficult to do.

I do expect it with The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games going forward.

Yeah, I can actually agree with these points. They are being sucessful with their current model and Dishonored 2 releasing in November didn't help it either.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wolfenstein, despite how good that last game was, isn't going to get the hype cycle marketing of something like Fallout. Maybe something closer to Dishonored 2.

It would be nice to play it this year. I'm dying to know what's next for BJ and Anya, there's so many ways they could take the story. Didn't hear about that Giant Bomb interview so that makes me even more excited that they had such a clear idea for the sequel so early.

dr_rus

New Colossus(Spring '18)
Prey (Sep)
Dishonored Dlc
ESO Dlc

...What?

And yeah, Prey will be out by the time of E3'17.

By "doing a Fallout 4" I automatically think of releasing a game with last gen graphics, gameplay and terrible performance.

DKHF

As others have already suggested, I think it will be released next spring. Though they are lacking a game for this fall as it stands... I still think it will come out next spring.

Falchion

I'm fine if they announce it at E3 and it comes out in the fall, I wish more games would wait longer before announcing so that we didn't have to wait 4 years for everything.

daveo42

Banned
I was worried you were talking about taking the best aspects of Wolfenstein and ripping them out in favor of trying to appeal to a wider audience.

Makes alot of sense for them to announce and release in a short period of time. As others have said, Wolfenstein doesn't have the same pull as a Fallout game, but a short timespan should help in keeping hype from announce to launch.

Zukkoyaki

Nah I don't think so. Mostly because that would entail an E3 reveal -> fall release and despite TNO's success, Wolfenstein isn't a strong enough brand to survive going against behemoths like Destiny 2 and Red Dead in the fall. I'd have to imagine that Bethesda is weary of releasing something that isn't the calibre of Fallout or Elder Scrolls in that window after Dishonored 2.

Though I do think it's a 100% lock for a grand unveiling at E3 for a Q1 or Q2 2018 release.

Top Bottom