• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want crossplay on PS4? Make your voices be heard.

Whales

Banned
Honestly, anyone against this is not a gamer or doesn't care about this Industry​ or is a straight up fanboy who started gaming this generation. It's hard to believe there are folks making excuses why this shouldn't happen after everything has been super clarified how easy and beneficial this is. Straight up, you are what's wrong with the gaming community, thinking about numbers that you have no merit or stake on.

It is what it is, you can stay on your high horse.

b-b-but no dude, I gamed once on xbox and someone insulted my mom!

I mean, seriously. these are the kind of reasons as to why some people here dont want crossplay. The fuck???

Seems most of your posts in this thread reflect a hatred for Sony before any of this became an issue and this is your proxy to shit on them and their "fanboys".

lol what? Care to post them?

I get irritated sometimes sure, this is exhausting. But if I truly hated Sony and was some sort of Xbox/PC warrior (or even PS4 warrior who just doesn't want Sony to look weak or somehting) that was out to get Sony then I would be making posts like these...

Personally I don't care about it. Put me down for "I don't give a duck."

don't care

I put that # to good use lol

TeamDontCare.

Didn't think it was a priority in all the other threads. Still don't think it's a priority now with this one.

Don't give a duck in the slightest.

If it happens, great. If not, then thats fine too. But I'm not gonna put any effort into this because I can't imagine a scenario where any of this would apply to me.

I couldn't care less about cross play.

You realize that's the whole point? Sony and MS are doing whatever it takes to gain a MAU. Sony, via the peer pressure of their 60M user base and MS with Minecraft extortion.

ok so

is Minecraft like the only game that's not crossplay?

Sony by FAR is not the worst to do this, Microsoft has been holding private circlejerk sessions since forever. The only reason people don't complain about that is because they've been doing it for so long

And Nintendo doesn't have any multiplayer network games anyway

No I don't support the petition.

Isnt it a bit hypocritical not mentioning FF14 on xbox.

Shouldn't you guys be tweeting about MS making good games again, first?

So where can I sign for keeping crossplay away? I really do not like the idea of it and only see trouble down the road...

I don't care personally​ I don't see it effecting me either way. 90% of my friends are in PS4.

Couldn't care less.

Don't care

From a business point of view:

Consumer wants to play a game with his buddies.

If he can only do that by buying a ps4, consumer would be more eager to buy a ps4.

I for one don't care! If it is implemented at least give me the option to chose. Dont want to end up chatting with the likes of crapgamer and co.

Nope. Not interested.

I think the people who care about this think way too much of themselves.

There are dozens of you.

This made me laugh.

I for one couldn't care less. This is just going to add complications that will somehow trickle down to us down the line.

I dont care for it. Not sure why ppl care so much about it.

There's already a healthy online population on the PS4, add me to the "who cares" group.

I have more of a problem with my Ps1 classics purchases being stuck on Ps3.

If something you want basically isn't possible because of simple business reasons then why would you keep crying for it?

I hope they don't do this. Of all the things to start a fuss over, this has to be one of the least useful. Better off putting this effort into getting name changes on PSN.

I do not care about cross play. In fact, I like having a buffer keeping Xbone people away from my headset.

I do not want​ crossplay.

Because for it to work there must be a proper balance. If Sony gave me free consoles and games that would certainly be in my interest, but they would go out of business pretty fucking fast. If Sony restricted PS4 players from playing with other PS4 players or raised PS+ subscription by $200 I would be pissed and drop them like a hot potato along with the majority of the subscribers. I'm not sticking up for Sony, I'm saying I don't care because my consumer interests are being met already. And my first point was that consumer interest only extends to those who are actual consumers of a service of product that a company gives. Other consoles players don't fall under that.

dont really care. there's a lot of users to play with on PS4 only.

maybe switch and xbox users want crossplay due to lacking online users on their systems?

That's what I would say if I wanted to stick it to Sony and "score a point for my team" so to speak because I know that crossplay is an awesome feature to have and I wouldn't want them to be able to say that they have it too so I would be doing all that I can to downplay etc... Instead of lending my support and energy in order to do something that benefits consumers while at the same time helps strengthen the gaming landscape. Not just for Sony, but for all gamers and devs like this...

Even if you don't give a duck, what's the harm in helping those that do, by tweeting? I mean, you actually took the time to come in here and type out, "I don't care"

The fuck guys.

I was thinking the same. Some people have their head really deep into their arse just because is MS the one pushing for it. It's a fucking shame this community is so fucking childish sometimes.

Dude, did you not read the first two words?

I was requested to do this. I like to help out whenever consumer related issues come up. I said that I could make the time to do it if no one else was going to if people really wanted.

This also has nothing to do with what fanboy camp you are in or what companies hardware you don't own. Read the scenarios I wrote for crossplay again. This kind of future benefits everyone. I wouldn't give a flip who it was that was standing in the way of making it become a reality faster. I would be doing the same thing.

It should be important for everyone. We've gotta tear down those walls and play together. We're one big family.

Nintendo players, PC players, Playstation players and Xbox players playing together. Close your eyes and imagine living in such a world and tell me that you wouldn't want something like that.

This is our playground! We've gotta fight for such a bright future where everyone plays together, no matter on which platform.

There are lots more examples of fine gentlemen like these, I just didn't want to go through the entire thread again lol.

Cerium

I wish Switch and Xbone GAF would chime in on this subject since their position and perspective are the complete opposite of Ps4's right now.

How does it feel to be part of a bigger more integrated community and have the opportunity to play with friends on other platforms?

Switch early adopters jumped on without any guarantee that we would ever get nice things. In some ways I don't think it's really sunk in yet and people can't believe their good fortune. The notion that we're getting a massively upgraded version of Minecraft that has parity and crossplay with PC and Xbox One is beyond any expectation.

The fact that we're getting this upgrade and PS4 isn't is surreal. No one wants to start a console war by giving the appearance of celebrating the disparity, but it really feels bizarre and I feel certain that the Sony of a few years ago would never have let it happen.

Knowing that Rocket League will have a thriving community from day one into infinity is icing on the cake. That's without even considering cool GAF community possibilities like organizing Xbox vs Switch matches.

alt27

My hashtag suggestion is #unitetheplayers

Anyways, I had this in the big general thread, but is there anyone here fluent in Japanese? I sent this through google translate to send to @yosp but I'm sure it's terribly mangled. Would anyone care to fix it?

He speaks english well enough, and pretty sure hes head of first party is he not? Probably not the right person.

BADMAN

Posts like this, and many, many more in this topic, are why this "movement" is not catching on. So many people here that want crossplay are arrogant, condescending asses that can't grasp that this isn't an issue for most people. You all aren't convincing anyone with the moral superiority stance.

A topic which so many people are divisive or apathetic to doesn't gain followers by insulting them.

People are reacting like that because a lot of the people opposing crossplay are coming across as shitposters with nothing to say. Saying "I don't care so you shouldn't ether" or "Sony will never do this because they don't need to" aren't contributing anything and it's really frustrating to people who think this is actually a big deal.

That being said everyone should take a step back and chill, there isn't any reason to call out shitposters as it doesn't serve the cause and makes the thread into a console war style poo flinging colosseum. I'm happy to debate anyone who isn't sold on crossplay and has a reason for it.

Novocaine

Yeah the amount of people showing apathy towards this is weird. This is precedent setting shit. It benefits everybody if this goes through. Minecraft and Rocket League, are both massive games and have the best shot at getting this off of the ground.

postaboy

Don't really care for crossplay since I don't have a PS+/XBL Gold subscription and all I play now is single player games. I just hate that online play is behind a paywall on consoles when it's free on PC. This is what you guys should bitch about...

Thorrgal

Then we did you post in this thread ?

Well it would help if the OP wasn't a notorious Xbox fanboy...let the PS4 players push for it if they want to

Edit: I posted for those 2 reasons. 1, I felt the OP was being disingenuous. 2, he was asking, wasn't he? "Do you want...". In my case I don't fucking care...is that not a valid answer??

Persona7

Banned
I don't understand why the point of contention is logging into your Microsoft account. If you have a mojang account you basically have a microsoft account already.

MS only wants it for the game they own, lol. MS, the losers of this gen, not the leaders, want this. Very obviously its largely being done by MS for the press. Again, the idea this is some altruistic thing is preposterous. Sony is the status quo, it would be insane to allow other people to play in their ecosystem without paying to be part of PSN.

There is a huge incentive to buy a PS4, because far more people already own it, so if you wanna game with them you have to get one. Cross play is completely in the losing guys interest, and not in the winning guy, Sony. Sony has worked hard to wrestle the mantle away from MS, and now that MS has been beaten comprehensively, MS wants Sony to give up the mantle just like that?

Personally, I really am surprised so many people feel strongly about it. The situation isn't even going to arise very often. Oh wow, the biggest most succesful videogame of all time, Minecraft wants to do this after years of making billions of dollars. Minecraft is an institution. These circumstances will almost never be recreated. No one else is even going to bother wasting money to do it. I think for me, and many people, it doesn't matter if I am multiplaying with Sony strangers or other strangers. Prefer it if its just Sony actually, as that's the best bet you are playing on even ground.

Rmagnus

Banned
MS only wants it for the game they own, lol. MS, the losers of this gen, not the leaders, want this. Very obviously its largely being down by MS for the press. Again, the idea this is some altruistic thing is preposterous. Sony is the status quo, it would be insane to allow other people to play in their ecosystem without paying to be part of PSN.

There is a huge incentive to buy a PS4, because far more people already own it, so if you wanna game with them you have to get one. Cross play is completely in the losing guys interest, and not in the winning guy, Sony.

Personally, I really am surprised so many people feel strongly about it. The situation isn't even going to arise very often. Oh wow, the biggest most succesful videogame, Minecraft wants to do this after years of making billions of dollars. Minecraft is an institution. These circumstances will almost never be recreated. No one else is even going to bother wasting money to do it. I think for me, and many people, it doesn't matter if I am multiplaying with Sony strangers or other strangers. Prefer it if its just Sony actually, as that's the best promise you are playing on even ground.

Did not know MS owned rocket league.

Whales

Banned
Well it would help if the OP wasn't a notorious Xbox fanboy...let the PS4 players push for it if they want to

What the hell does this even have to do with the thread?

This is literally the best moment to fight for crossplay. You could finally play games with your friends who own an Xbox one or your PC gaming friends.

The longevity of so many fighting games, FPS games, etc would be increased by a fuckton because of merged concurrent players

You'd have to wait a lot less time to find matches in ANY game and this doesn'T affect you negatively at all, it's literally only positive for us consumers

there is no reason at ALL to not want this. And the fact that so many so called ''gamers'' come in here just to say they don't care or ''i dont want to have to log in into xbox live or anything else'' ( SERIOUSLY? So hard... wow) or literally spout dumb stuff like you just did ( that has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand) is seriously baffling me.

just wait until next gen, if xbox ever gets in the lead and has crossplay with other platforms EXCEPT Sony... That would be hilarious as fuck, and pretty much all of us who own Sony consoles would be bitching about it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Will do. People who say they don't care or think it isn't important either are the biggest sony fanboys or don't see the bigger picture.

Also 'but i have to sign into xbox live for minecraft' whining is incredible you can't tell me you guys did not create a blizzard, gearbox, origin or uplay accpunt for their games or all benefits. The only reason to object this seems to be being a console fanboywarrior.

Edit: read the thread, my god some of you make me feel embarassed to own either of these consoles. You lose nothing by this if you are on playstation.

Ffs kids.

I'm... Notorious?

I would really like to know what makes you think this. lol. Because it can't be my post history.

I actually haven't turned my xbox on in like... 2 and a half years now since I built my PC.

Anyway, I apologize if I needed to own a playstation product before I can make a thread about a playstation related issue. Even if it does affect everyone. I seriously was asked to do this by what I am assuming where PlayStation fans.

CaptainClaw

Edit: I posted for those 2 reasons. 1, I felt the OP was being disingenuous. 2, he was asking, wasn't he? "Do you want...". In my case I don't fucking care...is that not a valid answer??

You not caring would be...you not partaking since you do not CARE. And since you cared to tell everyone how you feel and by your comment It seems you don't want it....and I'd ask why you don't want it but I know the answer to that...so try not to point out and name call the OP being a "Fanboy"

Oh hey, here's an option that would stop a lot of bitching about "I don't want to play with others!":

enable cross play? Y/N

Rocket League does it and so could everybody else. Now the filthy opposite console players can't touch you.

BADMAN

MS only wants it for the game they own, lol. MS, the losers of this gen, not the leaders, want this. Very obviously its largely being down by MS for the press. Again, the idea this is some altruistic thing is preposterous. Sony is the status quo, it would be insane to allow other people to play in their ecosystem without paying to be part of PSN.

There is a huge incentive to buy a PS4, because far more people already own it, so if you wanna game with them you have to get one. Cross play is completely in the losing guys interest, and not in the winning guy, Sony.

1. It's affecting rocket league as well.
2. This is in everyone's best interest as it increases the player base
3. The point of this is to convince Sony to go against their interest.
4. What do you mean by "playing on even ground"?

The amount of people questioning why people are talking about crossplay... god damn console tribalism is frustrating as fuck. I refuse to believe anyone seriously doesn't understand the conversation coming up after the recent pattern of Sony blocking it, and all the "don't care, don't see why others care" is crazy when Sony themselves were the ones pushing crossplay earlier in the gen.

Also, is it in "the leader's" best interest to join in Crossplay? Absolutely YES, if you're the odd one out it's not just a comparison of PS4 players to Xbox players to PC players and whatever individually, it's PS4 vs Everyone.

BADMAN

I felt he was being disingenuous about it so it compeled me to answer...

Plus he was asking, wasn't he? My answer: I don't fucking care. Is that not a valid answer??

It's a valid opinion but it's not one worth discussing if you don't elaborate on it.

Chauzu

I think most Sony owners on GAF not well versed in this issue and not caring much have this attitude. That the whole crossplay thing is just some console warrior thing coming from Microsoft and Nintendo fans just because they could finally score a win over Sony in something.

Quite sad really. We just want crossplay. If Nintendo were the company standing in the way they would get just as much flack, if not more.

MS only wants it for the game they own, lol. MS, the losers of this gen, not the leaders, want this. Very obviously its largely being done by MS for the press. Again, the idea this is some altruistic thing is preposterous. Sony is the status quo, it would be insane to allow other people to play in their ecosystem without paying to be part of PSN.

There is a huge incentive to buy a PS4, because far more people already own it, so if you wanna game with them you have to get one. Cross play is completely in the losing guys interest, and not in the winning guy, Sony. Sony has worked hard to wrestle the mantle away from MS, and now that MS has been beaten comprehensively, MS wants Sony to give up the mantle just like that?

Personally, I really am surprised so many people feel strongly about it. The situation isn't even going to arise very often. Oh wow, the biggest most succesful videogame of all time, Minecraft wants to do this after years of making billions of dollars. Minecraft is an institution. These circumstances will almost never be recreated. No one else is even going to bother wasting money to do it. I think for me, and many people, it doesn't matter if I am multiplaying with Sony strangers or other strangers. Prefer it if its just Sony actually, as that's the best bet you are playing on even ground.

I was as ignorant about this as you are. You know how I stopped being one? When I took myself out of a corporation's shoe and put myself in a consumer's shoe.

Fuck the status quo. Fuck the console wars. Fuck the exclusivity. Fuck the winning and losing side.

The question here is whether this is great for the industry as a whole. The answer is YES, IT IS.

PS4/XB1 are not going to be around in two years. I hope you look back and see that once PS5 isn't the hot buns that you believe it may be, and the tides change, that you realize how silly it is to not consider the possibility of unified online ecosystem.

It's straight up fanboyism. Who gives a fuck if OP is a fanboy of Xbox. Does that change the stance of universal space for online play?

Dart

I'll be honest, Cross platform play is not something i'd use too often atm. I occasionally play multiplayer, and I don't have many or any friends that I know of on Xbox or Switch. Really, I'm more upset about Minecraft's better together update not coming to Playstation.

That said I know how important it is for many of you, perhaps cross platform play is the future of gaming. We'll see, I signed the petition.

So #PS4crossplay huh? okay simple I like it.

vXwEOFH.png

I'll be honest, Cross platform play is not something i'd use too often atm. I occasionally play multiplayer, and I don't have many or any friends that I know of on Xbox or Switch. Really, I'm more upset about Minecraft's better together update not coming to Playstation.

That said I know how important it is for many of you, perhaps cross platform play is the future of gaming. We'll see, I signed the petition.

So #PS4crossplay huh? okay simple I like it.

BRB stealing amazing hashtag pic and placing in OT.

wbEMX

I was as ignorant about this as you are. You know how I stopped being one? When I took myself out of a corporation's shoe and put myself in a consumer's shoe.

Fuck the status quo. Fuck the console wars. Fuck the exclusivity. Fuck the winning and losing side.

The question here is whether this is great for the industry as a whole. The answer is YES, IT IS.

PS4/XB1 are not going to be around in two years. I hope you look back and see that once PS5 isn't the hot buns that you believe it may be, and the tides change, that you realize how silly it is to not consider the possibility of unified online ecosystem.

It's straight up fanboyism. Who gives a fuck if OP is a fanboy of Xbox. Does that change the stance of universal space for online play?

Aaaaand the thread is done. This will benefit EVERYONE who plays online games on fucking consoles. I only own a PS4 and a Switch as of now and I have a friend who will now get an XBOX ONE X because he has more friends who play online on XBL than on PS4. I'd freaking love to play CoD: WW2 with him in November, but I can't. Now imagine this would be possible for many others. It would be so insanely awesome to get rid of that problem.

Instead we have this straight-up fucking fanboyism going on because "LUL SONY IS IN THE LEAD".

This is why we can't have nice things. Because of fucking idiotic fanboys. I'm not even diplomatic about such things anymore. Why should I when I read some of the responses in here?

It's a nice to have, but nothing mandatory for me. I play with friends only anyways and we all are on the same platforms.

IMO this whole topic is way overblown. I mean we have crossplay options on PlayStation since PS2-days. But now when Switch and Xbox get it, it has become the biggest thing in the world?! Calm down, everything will be fine.

If people are wondering why posters are coming into threads like this with a chip on their shoulder it's because over the last couple of days the discussions on cross play have been framed with claims of arrogant Sony. Posters not willing to realize that if Microsoft or Nintendo were in the same situation as Sony they would be showing just as much obstruction to the idea of sharing their user base. Another thing, is posts baffled that users are pointing out why Sony wouldn't want to do it from a business perspective. I'm not pro-corporation if I want to point out why a company is probably acting a certain way and want to discuss it.

I am for cross play happening, I have doubts of how it would actually work on larger scale for all third party games, which makes me hesitant to get excited for it. But it just kind of bugs me how quick people are to assign a corporate entity as greedy and baulk at people trying to rationalize or fully understand why and what the different parties are doing. I get it, that as consumers we only gain by this being a thing but being told to tweet Jim Ryan memes to get that point across doesn't really make me want to.

Aaaaand the thread is done. This will benefit EVERYONE who plays online games on fucking consoles. I only own a PS4 and a Switch as of now and I have a friend who will now get an XBOX ONE X because he has more friends who play online on XBL than on PS4. I'd freaking love to play CoD: WW2 with him in November, but I can't. Now imagine this would be possible for many others. It would be so insanely awesome to get rid of that problem.

Instead we have this straight-up fucking fanboyism going on because "LUL SONY IS IN THE LEAD".

This is why we can't have nice things. Because of fucking idiotic fanboys.

Well I hope not! haha

Ferr986

The fuck you talking about status quo, winners and losers... How can you have such a childrish view abour this hobby?

This is about benefiting consumers, not playing corporation wars.

Holy shit at some of you guys.

If people are wondering why posters are coming into threads like this with a chip on their shoulder it's because over the last couple of days the discussions on cross play have been framed with claims of arrogant Sony. Posters not willing to realize that if Microsoft or Nintendo were in the same situation as Sony they would be showing just as much obstruction to the idea of sharing their user base. Another thing, is posts baffled that users are pointing out why Sony wouldn't want to do it from a business perspective. I'm not pro-corporation if I want to point out why a company is probably acting a certain way and want to discuss it.

So again, corporation wars, egos ofended over a company and whataboutism are the reasons. Ok.

Chauzu

It's a nice to have, but nothing mandatory for me. I play with friends only anyways and we all are on the same platforms.

IMO this whole topic is way overblown. I mean we have crossplay options on PlayStation since PS2-days. But now when Switch and Xbox get it, it has become the biggest thing in the world?! Calm down, everything will be fine.

Yes, everything will be fine when Sony open the floodgates for the crossplay future.

Show me PS/Xbox/Nintendo crossplatform play since PS2 days. I'm waiting...

Toki767

I don't personally care one way or the other, but I certainly don't see the harm in doing a simple tweet for the many (whether that be a minority or majority) who do care.

I feel like this won't necessarily gain much needed traction until the big third party publishers want to start doing cross play on their big games though.

Which I figure may be a big thing come next gen.

I think it would be neat it they added it, and I think their excuse for not having it is a terrible one, but ultimately I don't care. At least not for the two games that have it so far. I never play Minecraft online and Rocket League has an extremely healthy player base on PS4 already.

ChrisD

It's such a big deal because this is the first time, ever, that there's actually a chance to have everyone together. Not X and Y, or W and Z, but W X Y AND Z. This is a huge deal. There are no negatives. There are many positives. It does not devalue any console, but add.

I think it would be neat it they added it, and I think their excuse for not having it is a terrible one, but ultimately I don't care. At least not for the two games that have it so far. I never play Minecraft online and Rocket League has an extremely healthy player base on PS4 already.

The games you don't care about are two of the biggest in recent history. If they don't get the treatment, why would any of the games you WOULD like to have cross play get it?

CaptainClaw

And?...MOBAs have been around as early as 1989 but didn't get traction till 2008

Vr has been around for time and is finally getting some love...yes things that have taken place before have become popular later on

The fuck you talking about status quo, winners and losers... How can you have such a childrish view abour this hobby?

This is about benefiting consumers, not playing corporation wars.

Holy shit at some of you guys.

So again, corporation wars, egos ofended over a company and whataboutism are the reasons. Ok.

See you're a perfect example

BADMAN

It might not change anything for you but this is a big deal for people in regions with lower player bases.

And yeah it is a big deal that Nintendo and Microsoft are combining player bases since none of the big three have EVER done this in the past. It's a big deal here and now because Sony has a horrible excuse and the issue is hot right now. It's a perfect time to pressure Sony into making a decision that improves things for the entire gaming community.

I have a PS4 and an XB1 and a 3 year old. Would be great to play Minecraft with him in a year or so.

That's awesome. Another great reason :)

Limality

Banned
I don't give a rat's ass about crossplay anymore...but I'd gladly sign a petition or something just to get this whining shut down.

Tomeru

Honestly, anyone against this is not a gamer or doesn't care about this Industry​ or is a straight up fanboy who started gaming this generation. It's hard to believe there are folks making excuses why this shouldn't happen after everything has been super clarified how easy and beneficial this is. Straight up, you are what's wrong with the gaming community, thinking about numbers that you have no merit or stake on.

It is what it is, you can stay on your high horse.

Honestly, we dont know how easy it is. It could be easy tech-wise, but bureaucracy is always a bitch. It still is corporate policy. I dont think, for one second, that sony doesn't have a valid reason - no matter how rediculous we think it is. That said, any feature that improves gamers gaming is a blessing, even when I never felt that I'm missing someone to play with. I think crossplay will come from sony eventually. Its a big feature yes, but could hurt sales potentially (like choosing a platform by what your friends have vs what you'd like to have - good for you, could be bad for the companies).
Anyway, I hope this ends well for everyone.

Top Bottom