• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA5:LR PC Modding Thread

Gonna add my own tutorial to the texture mod tuts, since I think it's a purer .dds workflow with no conversion / need for .pngs if you have Photoshop.

1: Download and install NVIDIA texture tools. It's a suite of tools aimed at game development, and it will allow Photoshop to read and write .dds files.
2. Download uMod V2.0 Alpha (r53), a tool for extracting textures from DX9 games.
3. After extracting the .zip, run uMod.exe and click Main > Use global hook. Now there should be a check mark next to it.
4. Now go to Main > Add game, and in the explorer window that opens, navigate to your \DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round directory and click game.exe. If you have a DOA5:LR shortcut on your desktop, clicking that also works.
5. With uMod running, start the game in Windowed mode (turn off antialiasing / shadows if you want, so the game runs lighter in the background). You'll see a new tab open up on uMod labeled 'game'
6. In the Capture textures window of uMod, check Save single texture, Show texture... and Show message.... Map keyboard keys to Back, Save, Next, these are the buttons you'll be using to sift through and extract textures in-game.
7. Set your save directory to something or leave it default. I make a folder with the name of the assets I'm planning to extract, but it can be whatever. Now your uMod screen should look like this:

DrdadF3.jpg

8. In the game, navigate to a character selection screen (the drawback is that you will only be able to see your character from the thighs upwards), or start a training match in Dojo if you need to see your whole character's body.
9. Hold down (or mash) the keys you set in uMod for Back and Next until the asset you want to extract on screen is highlighted green There'll be a lot of textures so it might take a while to find the one you want. Press the key you set to Save on all the textures you need. For costume edits, you'll probably want to grab diffuse, normal, and specular maps of your character's face, body and outfit. Using Marie Rose's Costume 03 as an example:

AjImk3G.jpg
rK2WB9j.jpg
OWyrr9U.jpg
DWQ0mQO.jpg

Your files should begin appearing in the directory you set in uMod. If you have a lot of files, you can usually tell which are the main costume files by the resolution (W1024_H1024).

10. Open the files in Photoshop. If a dialog window opens with .dds settings, make sure Load Using Default Sizes is checked, and Load MIP maps and Load Flipped Vertically is unchecked. Click OK on the dialog.
11. Edit the textures how you want. For cohesive texture edits, you will probably need to edit normal and specular maps too, but for simple recolors it's not necessary to do.
12. Make a new folder for your edits (just to keep originals and mods separate). Photoshop will now have a .dds option in the file format drop down menu thanks to NVIDIA texture tools. Save it as that into your new folder without editing the file name. (Save a .psd copy too if you want). A dialog window will appear when you try to save .dds files. Use the following settings and then click Save:

4WZcSDn.jpg

13. Drag and drop your new .dds file onto the blank space in uMod, and your texture should now replace the original. You can drag and drop multiple .dds files here and they should all update in-game:

FGon5d3.jpg
8DyhXyj.jpg
A note on why keeping the files as .dds rather than .png is a good idea - some of the textures have their specular maps embedded in the alpha channel of the .dds, which you lose if you save as .png. Saving as an RGBA .dds file keeps all the channels intact, and it means you can do specular edits on files with the specular in the alpha channel (as it is for body / face textures).

KHlover

Banned
Gonna add my own tutorial to the texture mod tuts, since I think it's a purer .dds workflow with no conversion / need for .pngs if you have Photoshop.

A note on why keeping the files as .dds rather than .png is a good idea - some of the textures have their specular maps embedded in the alpha channel of the .dds, which you lose if you save as .png. Saving as an RGBA .dds file keeps all the channels intact, and it means you can do specular edits on files with the specular in the alpha channel (as it is for body / face textures).

Oooh, thank you! Finally a way to edit those weird half-transparent textures.

RM8

It'd be cool if eventually, I could replace all the labia-and-nipple-covering bikinis with actual costumes :p

The Cowboy

It'd be cool if eventually, I could replace all the labia-and-nipple-covering bikinis with actual costumes :p

This is something that I'm actually hoping for to, i really like the DOA fighting model and find it a really good game to play - but i hate the look of a lot of the characters due to the clothing (or lack of it).

For the most part I stick to using the clothing that covers the most up, and I would love some really good decent clothing texture options - and an option built into the game to make it so the AI can only use certain costumes.

RM8

This is something that I'm actually hoping for to, i really like the DOA fighting model and find it a really good game to play - but i hate the look of a lot of the characters due to the clothing (or lack of it).

For the most part I stick to using the clothing that covers the most up, and I would love some really good decent clothing texture options - and an option built into the game to make it so the AI can only use certain costumes.
Lol, same. I grew up with Tekken, but I'm finding DOA to be very enjoyable because of the gameplay and I can't help but wish I could separate the series from the fanservice aspect. I know it's impossible, DOA is fanservice and it'd be dumb catering to me and ignoring the established fanbase. I'm not a prude, and I don't think it's "wrong" to have games with blatant fanservice, but it's not what I personally enjoy in gaming and it'd be cool if I could at least choose to turn off the more ridiculous outfits. The game is very good looking, and while playing arcade mode you'll be fighting, say, Akira (a fighter who looks like a fighter), and then suddenly you're punching a naked Barbie doll in the tits.

I likely won't be buying the game out of principal... but subbing in case the overwhelmingly awesome mods convince me otherwise... Come on return of soft bodies!

KHlover

Banned
Okay now that I got sweat-editing working it's time for a new mod: I'll try to turn Raidou into a Namekian, purple blood and all. Stay tuned lol

Uraizen

Banned
I made a video showcase of a bunch of ones I did earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZBTMA_aDEM

Download's in the description.

Christie Wright, lol. I love it.

Boss★Moogle;158792377 said:
Didn't Tecmo say something about not wanting any mods for DoA5 on PC?

Yeah, but all people heard was a dare.

-------------

Hey, when did the first mod for DOA5 come out? There was a sudden spike of players on 4/1.

http://steamspy.com/app/311730

I got a feeling that this is one of the first UI / option mods that will be made when the game is opened up. I've heard this from so many people, incl console users, and also seen multiple people be disappointed that the 'random filter' was not for AI, so they couldn't turn off the sexy women.

Blood Mod WIP. Does anyone else think the blood needs to be a bit darker?
Yeah darker, so how does it work exactly? I haven't played much of the game to know how sweat works, I assume they just get sweatier as the match progresses? It's a shame UV's are stacked in half for body / face, makes asymmetrical skin textures impossible.

Welp, I've banned myself from modding until I complete the arcade on hard mode. Will force me to get better I guess, and there's a costume I need to unlock anyway. :D

Hey, when did the first mod for DOA5 come out? There was a sudden spike of players on 4/1.

http://steamspy.com/app/311730
Weird, I'm not seeing anything on SteamDB https://steamdb.info/app/311730/graphs/

KHlover

Banned

As promised. That was faster than I expected. Seems like I'm slowly getting the hanng of things.

Download link

Yeah darker, so how does it work exactly? I haven't played much of the game to know how sweat works, I assume they just get sweatier as the match progresses? It's a shame UV's are stacked in half for body / face, makes asymmetrical skin textures impossible.
Yeah, you get sweatier as the match progresses.

I personally use a few runs of "Selective Color Adjustment" to get the sweat to a faint red color (need to experiment with the colors here a bit), then I use "Color Balance" multiple times with the slider to 100%. To get it darker I then use "Selective Color Adjustment" with the dropdown at "Red Colors" and slightly raise the Cyan slider.

I use the German version of Photoshop though, so the options likely won't have the same name.

I personally use a few runs of "Selective Color Adjustment" to get the sweat to a faint red color (need to experiment with the colors here a bit), then I use "Color Balance" multiple times with the slider to 100%. To get it darker I then use "Selective Color Adjustment" with the dropdown at "Red Colors" and slightly raise the Cyan slider.

I use the German version of Photoshop though, so the options likely won't have the same name.
Ah, I meant how does it work in-game :p As in, how does the game handle transition into the sweat texture.

I noticed that there's some animated textures for sweat rolling down the body / face. Running some kind of batch adjustment on all the frames of texture to turn them red might be tricky, but it would take a blood mod to the next level and could look cool.

I don't think I'd ever use one though, poor Marie :x

KHlover

Banned
Ah, I meant how does it work in-game :p As in, how does the game handle transition into the sweat texture.

I noticed that there's some animated textures for sweat rolling down the body / face. Running some kind of batch adjustment on all the frames of texture to turn them red might be tricky, but it would take a blood mod to the next level and could look cool.

I don't think I'd ever use one though, poor Marie :x

I suspect that the game simply makes the texture less transparent as the match goes on (I'll increase the amount of rounds and see what happens now). No matter how dark I make the blood in PS, it never got as dark as it theoretically could be during a match. With one exception so far:

2015-04-05_00001zjuef.jpg

Guess what caused this :p

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/doamods/comments/31gkxu/namekian_cyborg_raidou_dl_in_comments/cq1edrr

Post on reddit where I tested the influence the amount of rounds has on the blood. Result: Capped, Water is special.

I suspect that the game simply makes the texture less transparent as the match goes on (I'll increase the amount of rounds and see what happens now). No matter how dark I make the blood in PS, it never got as dark as it theoretically could be during a match. With one exception so far:

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/doamods/comments/31gkxu/namekian_cyborg_raidou_dl_in_comments/cq1edrr

Post on reddit where I tested the influence the amount of rounds has on the blood. Result: Capped, Water is special.
Hmm, water activates the same texture as sweat? It makes sense for them to do that, but it also means that any blood mode that uses the sweat textures will be pretty unreliable.

Heads up apparently a Zach Island retexture mod video just got taken down by KT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1SwJyOnZbs.

I guess be careful about where you publicize your mods, since this one was not even NSFW I guess nobody is safe.
Not surprised in the least....They throw up 2 incomplete sets of DLC, both $50+ dollars (which that they apparently don't have plans to split it up in any way) and wonder why people would rather reskin the included costumes.

Trojan X

Banned
Blood Mod WIP. Does anyone else think the blood needs to be a bit darker?

Definitely need to be darker. Right now it looks like someone splashed koolaid on her face.

EDIT: I saw the updated version. Looks ok, maybe it need more effects. Tough thing to work on.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not surprised in the least....They throw up 2 incomplete sets of DLC, both $50+ dollars (which that they apparently don't have plans to split it up in any way) and wonder why people would rather reskin the included costumes.

Eh... but this is a stage? This isn't exactly effecting their bottom line until new stages are able to be made.

synce

That stage mod video also had a nude Momiji mod I believe. Also I think the guy was asking for money.

shiroryu

Hmm what are your specs? Doesn't a PC crash imply a hardware problem?

I'm sorry I've never used GeDoSaTo, if anyone has a good guide for it I'll add it to the OP.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Specs: Zotac Nvidia GTX970 3.5GB (*sniff*), Intel i7 4790K (not OC), on an SSD. Monitor is unfortunately 1920x1080.

Can't rule a hardware issue out, but it's not like it's overheating the card with MSI Afterburner monitoring temps, and the crash is immediate and replicable, like it was accessing. And haven't been getting these problems with other games.

Why don't you juse use 4xSSAA @ 1080p? What's your monitor's native res?

1920x1080. Isn't GeDoSaTo superior in that respect though?

And using 4xSSAA prevents SweetFX from running, right?

double edit: fuck me, you're right. The original instructions I read asked me to turn off AA, so I set it to none. But you can use 4xSSAA and SweetFX too. Thanks!

edit: That Black Widow mod is superb. I always thought they messed up giving Christie white hair.

squarealex

For use SweetFX 1.5.1

A : Installation :

1 : Download SweetFX 1.5.1 here : http://sfx.thelazy.net/static/media...ector_CeeJay.dks.1.5.1.ChromaticAberration.7z

2 : Extract file where you want.

3 : Copy all the files in the Dead Or Alive 5 Location

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8811/17038838692_6dfdde74a5_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7709/16420129823_a4657a3b7a_o.jpg

4 : Edit the file SweetFX_Settings.txt if you want change the look of game.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7604/17038838292_f1c2a51288_o.jpg

Change 0 to 1 for enabled the shaders. At the bottoms, change for more or less effect (if it enabled). Then, use CTRL+S (or Save) and switch to the game.

- Use Break (Pause) key for reload SweetFX. (Important if you just change the file)
- Use Inset key for Enable or disabled SweetFX
- Use Prt Scr key for Screenshot.

B : Use DiZpel Resolution Mod with SweetFX 1.5.1

1 : Download version 0.2.1 and extract all you files where you want

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7654/17014450086_8671066fbe_o.jpg

2 : Rename on the Dead or Alive 5 location, the d3d9.dll on d3d9_sweetfx.dll

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8776/16420292173_1250e9893a_o.jpg

3 : Copy all files of DiZpel Resolution on the Dead Or Alive 5 Location and put your resolution on the Mod_resolution.ini file. , DELETE the ";" symbole on the line (ProxyChain d3d9.ddl) for swwetFX (view picture) and save.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8731/16852806558_de62720eec_o.jpg

4 : ???

5 : Profit

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Up close it looks low res and rough, but have you got any screenshots showing it actually in battle where you'll be seeing it most?

Forrest HD Retexture by GamingDamned

YESSSSSSS FIX ALL THOSE STAGES!!!!!

Any comparisons to how it looks OG?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Forest HD Retexture by GamingDamned

Eh, it turns it from a Fall Forest into... something Spring with WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much green grass. Most forests won't have that much grass depending on the canopy.

If they darkened the textures a little while keeping the leaves it wouldn't be that bad a "quick redo" to fix the lighting/etc on the stage.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Eh, it turns it from a Fall Forest into... something Spring with WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much green grass. Most forests won't have that much grass depending on the canopy.

If they darkened the textures a little while keeping the leaves it wouldn't be that bad a "quick redo" to fix the lighting/etc on the stage.
Still W.I.P. but if he adds some leaves here and there it would be nicer than DOA5 original. (Original Forest stage remains better)

Also when he releases the texture I can pretty much alter it.

Can't get uMod working with SweetFX or GEMFX, anyone have an idea why?

Makes the game run impossibly slow. I have to choose between nice IQ or nice costume mods, but I want both :mad:

Top Bottom