• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually answer the door? Do you answer it blind?

Oppo

yes i answer the door you weirdos.

i work at home; i want people to know it. including would be burglars testing out.

if it's a sales person or w/e i just say sorry i'm working and that's that.

i do want a doorbell cam though. seems handy.

prag16

Banned
No lie, unless I'm expecting someone, I don't answer the door.

Why? Anyone I give the slightest fuck about would either text or email me.

Unless i expect someone i don´t even go look. Not my problem.

Absolutely not. Same shit with random phone calls. Not a number in my contacts? They'll leave a voicemail if it's actually important.

Good God. And all within the first 25 posts... I fear for the future of our society.

Can't you people just be normal for once.

Seriously.

People who knock on my door are usually the exterminator hired by the landlord, a delivery of some kind, or the JWs. I don't open the door for JWs.

Once there was a guy who was trying to scam people into changing their power service away from Con Ed, and he had almost got me to show him my last Con Ed bill before I realized what he was up to.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Depends. I have a Ring video doorbell so I can have a look. If they appear to be trying to sell me something (aka 99.9% of anyone who comes to my door I am not expecting) I ignore them. If they hang around too long I tell them to piss off via my phone.

I usually check the peephole first to make sure it's not a solicitor. Not really an issue in my current apartment (partially because getting into the building itself requires a key here), but at my old college town one, they were really goddamn aggressive sometimes. Pretty much anybody else I'll open the door for, unless it's an unreasonable hour
or unless I don't feel like putting on pants

SJRB

Gold Member
If I'm not expecting anyone, I'm probably not answering.

You know why? Because it's always someone I don't need. It's the mailman asking if he can drop a delivery for the neighbor who isn't home, or it's someone from a charity asking for a donation.

King Al B

I live out the sticks. And everyone i know that would come visit knows to use the side door. If someone knocks on the front door it cant be a good thing... so i hide and let the barking door scare them away.

emb

I do find myself surprisingly unsettled when a stranger knocks on the door. It's a reaction I wouldn't have expected myself to have, but I end up finding myself nervous unlocking the door for strangers.

Still, I'd rather satisfy my curiosity. Thinking about it logically, I know that odds are almost completely in favor of it being perfectly safe. And it's a rare enough occurrence for anyone to knock on the door that I tend to not mind. If anything, it's fun to say hey to them, tell them I don't want what they're selling, and move on.

mindatlarge

I do a lot of voluntary community service which involves some door to door work and you'd be surprised how many people still answer their doors.

TheContact

Why would you answer the door? Who knocks on your door in 2017? You don't need to answer to anyone.

Why should I answer the door?

Is there anyone who actually feels calm about somebody knocking on their door? Stop knocking on my door. You're up to no good by knocking on my door.

I refuse to believe anybody feels calm when they hear the door knock. Do you answer the door blind?

So I bought a house a few months ago. I've had 2 people ring my doorbell since then (one guy was spamming it over and over and woke my kids up). They were both looking for the previous owner.
Answering the door is pointless unless I order delivery and know they're coming. Otherwise it's probably just some asshole

It depends I guess. I will look out a window first, and if it's someone clearly trying to sell me shit or something similar? Fuck no, go away I don't have time to listen to you babble to me about something I am going to tell you no about anyway. Having said that I'm not scared or anti social or something I just literally don't want to waste yours or my time.

Mashing

I typically do not as it usually solicitors or Jehovah Witnesses. Although, one time it was a neighbor telling me my pipes in the yard were leaking. Mainly because I live alone and not altogether trusting of strangers who appear on my doorstep.

dealer-

Aye, fuck that.

I go upstairs and open the window. I can wind my neck around just enough to see who it is. Then I usually don't bother.

necrosis

i check to see who's there but uh, yeah

the idea of not answering your door under most circumstances is sort of wild to me

I typically do not as it usually solicitors or Jehovah Witnesses. Although, one time it was a neighbor telling me my pipes in the yard were leaking. Mainly because I live alone and not altogether trusting of strangers who appear on my doorstep.
Why not just draw up a pentagram in a circle on the floor with candles lit at the points and invite them in for coffee next time?

I live in the burbs. If somebody is knocking on my door or ringing the bell and it's not Halloween then they're trying to sell me something. No thanks.

Alchemy

No one ever knocks on my door unless its a package delivery, a Mormon, or one of those magazine subscription scams. I only answer the door for packages I'm expecting otherwise fuck off leave me alone.

Shredderi

I've never had an unexpected knock on my door lead to anything good.

This is it. This is the most compact and efficient way to explain it. I live alone in a flat and I'm not needed/missed on a day to day basis, nor has anyone I know ever tried to come visit without calling me first. It would only be solicitors/salesmen/jehova's witnesses/neighbors(who I want nothing to do with). There really is no scenario where there would be something good knocking on the door.

If I'm not expecting anyone, I'm probably not answering.

You know why? Because it's always someone I don't need. It's the mailman asking if he can drop a delivery for the neighbor who isn't home, or it's someone from a charity asking for a donation.

I get my fair share of passive-aggressive people canvassing for various home improvement companies. I had NO idea that my new roof looks like it hasn't been worked on in awhile! Of course I want a free estimate!

Oh wait, no I don't because I just got the fucking thing replaced. Asshead.

All you people who never answer the door are the reason modern societies lack a sense of community. Where is the sense of trust in your fellow man? Don't let your fear and anxiety about safety drive your life.

Shredderi

Imagine being so scared and paranoid that you can't even answer your own door

Lol I'm not scared or paranoid. I don't imagine killers etc. knocking on my door. I just can't imagine anyone I would want to interact with, unless I knew they were coming. It's just a matter of "why bother?".

kaiju

I won't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone.

I won't answer a call if I don't recognize the number.

I won't open emails that I don't recognize...

Yeah. No reason not to answer the door. I just look through the peephole first.

Besides if I don’t answer the door now they might come back later.

Fuck no.

I look through the peephole. If it's not a package guy or food delivery or someone Im expecting I don't answer.

Fuck you solicitors. I ain't going to your church presentation.

I'm always startled when there's a knock on my door, since visitors have to be buzzed in form the gate anyway and I tend to wait for them at the door. When there's a knock it's usually a neighbor, which usually means they need help with something. I always answer.

jfkgoblue

When I get a salesman/religious person/campaign I'll open the door they say "Hello, my name is...."

"Not interested"

And I shut the door, it's not that hard guys.

andrespi

I'm confused. don't you guys in the US receive fines or registered mail (that requires a signature) at home? Sure if you don't answer, you can go pick up at the post office after they leave a note, but it seems easier to just answer the door.

Or what if it's just a neighbour? You never go to your neighbour maybe to ask something or chat occasionally? I struggle to imagine living without ever talking or going to your neighbour occasionally.

Or maybe it's the house manager (if you live in a flat like me)?

I understand not answering occasionally, when you are really busy (I do that sometimes if they ring at strange hours or I can't answer for whatever reason or I'm really busy at work and can't stop). But not answering ever, seems so strange.

Don't you have employees from your water/power/phone company occasionally coming to check your water/power systems in the common parts of your building (still talking about people living in a flat complex)?

it's just so strange to not answer your neighbour. Furthermore I don't really understand the fear of answering your door. You don't need to open the door. You can just ask with the door closed, while seeing through the peephole, they can totally hear you. or you can buy an intercom/door phone.

yes i answer the door you weirdos.

i work at home; i want people to know it. including would be burglars testing out.

if it's a sales person or w/e i just say sorry i'm working and that's that.

i do want a doorbell cam though. seems handy.

look into the Ring smart doorbell, i've worked from home for 7 years now and it CHANGED. MY. LIFE.

[both for security and delivery reasons]

Celcius

°Temp. member
I look through the small glass peep hole. If I don't recognize the person I go back to what I was doing.

Baleoce

I always look through the spyhole at the door lol. I also always Google unrecognised numbers before accepting calls.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Nope, first I check who's there thru the peephole, then maybe I'll answer. Camden is still spotty these days

Qasiel

I answer the door most times, but during my weekdays off we get so many cold callers trying to sell me shit, or donate to random charities, every so often I don't. It's becoming easier to tell when they're around because they'll knock at my neighbour's house within 20 seconds because I think they just try as many doors as they can to see who's home, so if I can't see anyone standing at the door I'll leave it.

ThisGuy

I answer blind unless its really late at night and I'm not expecting anyone. Then I look before opening the door.

Top Bottom