• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does 'First Come, First Serve' not mean anything, any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

So now I'm arrogant, discourteous, and cheap? I'm not going back and forth with you. You've found a system that works for you, and that's great -- just set your little appointment, get your $5.00 weave plugged in, and roll out, so more power to you.

When you put it this way, it's insane that anyone would think the alternative is better.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So in case you guys ever wanted to see a correct example of the often-misused term "entitlement", here you go.

So now I'm arrogant, discourteous, and cheap? I'm not going back and forth with you. You've found a system that works for you, and that's great -- just set your little appointment, get your $5.00 weave plugged in, and roll out, so more power to you.
It is pretty arrogant to think you deserve immediate service over someone who takes the time to make an appointment ahead of time, yes.

imBask

Banned
You've found a system that works for you, and that's great -- just set your little appointment

andy+3.png

You could have come up with a better example to get your point across, OP.
I would have agreed if it was a situation where I go in, order, wait, but the person in line behind me get their's first. That happens too often.

cDNA

The problem are the businesses that advertise they welcome walk-ins or no reservations required but don't have good system to service that customers. If a barbershop have a sign that say walk-in welcomes, then don't make your no reservations customers wait 1 hour plus. That is not welcoming. It is better they said outright reservations only, so the customers don't waste their time.

It is pretty arrogant to think you deserve immediate service over someone who takes the time to make an appointment ahead of time, yes.

Have you been following the thread? You make it sound as if I storm into a barberhop, immediately demanding a chair. I wait in line, a physical line. And how do you compare someone "taking time" to make an appointment to an in-house customer who takes MORE time waiting for a haircut?

I would have agreed if it was a situation where I go in, order, wait, but the person in line behind me get their's first. That happens too often.

These are the ones that came to mind, because they've both happened recently. I'm sure other examples are available and considered more applicable to the growing problem.

Sophia

I'm gonna blow your mind here: I don't pay anything to get my appointment in. So not only am I getting in and out faster than you, but I'm probably paying even less!

tumblr_moltcgpk4j1qa5pbsu1.gif

I dunno about Chipotle (I simply just wait), but the barbershop...you didn't know about making an appointment with your barber?

Two things you need to know about the barbershop - tip your barber, and make appointments where possible. I got my barber on speed dial, and we've got enough of a rapport now where I could text him on Saturday night before going out and get a great shapeup/shave/hot towel treatment in 30 minutes. He'd leave his own home just to come cut my hair if I asked him to.

Waiting in the barbershop is for chumps.

Have you been following the thread? You make it sound as if I storm into a barberhop, immediately demanding a chair. I wait in line, a physical line. And how do you compare someone "taking time" to make an appointment to an in-house customer who takes MORE time waiting for a haircut?
Because the person calling in is scheduling time out of a businesses day to organize their time in the most efficient way. You are randomly coming in and making them find the time for you. Just because you're spending more time doing what you're doing doesn't mean that the time you're spending is beneficial to the business you're at.

1.) Fast Food

There's a Chipotle near where I live, which is usually packed; the line stretches from the register and snakes around the restaurant to the door on the other end. In the past, the wait time to get a buritto or whatever was 20 minutes; these days, with ONLINE ORDERING, the wait time is easily doubled. First of all, what dumbass thought it was a good idea for customers to order online, come into the restaurant, and cut in front of everyone else to get to the front of the register to retrieve their meal? The worst part about it is whenever a customer makes an online order, that order is immediately transmitted to the employee, and that employee arranges the order on the spot, stalling the customers that have been waiting in line for forever. WTF is this!?.

If you have used it in the past why would you ever just show up to Chiptole if you knew ahead of time that's what you wanted and you were going to take it home?

I love this no more annoying lines with families ordering 4 things just to take home... I order, pre pay, go in get my Burrito Bowl and leave.

Ideally Chiptole should have one person or two dedicated to small online orders and the general walk up area but in the days of companies trying to cut costs I don't see them ever setting that up.

TS-08

But his point goes way beyond that. He doesn't like people getting preference in service based on phoning or otherwise contacting the business ahead of time over the people who "pay their dues" by physically showing up and waiting in person. Your example doesn't illustrate what his point seems to be.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't know where you live OP, but I can walk in to any barbershop and get my hair cut after a maximum wait time of 20 minutes.

aparisi2274

1.) Fast Food

There's a Chipotle near where I live, which is usually packed; the line stretches from the register and snakes around the restaurant to the door on the other end. In the past, the wait time to get a buritto or whatever was 20 minutes; these days, with ONLINE ORDERING, the wait time is easily doubled. First of all, what dumbass thought it was a good idea for customers to order online, come into the restaurant, and cut in front of everyone else to get to the front of the register to retrieve their meal? The worst part about it is whenever a customer makes an online order, that order is immediately transmitted to the employee, and that employee arranges the order on the spot, stalling the customers that have been waiting in line for forever. WTF is this!?

2.) Barbershops

They're the worst. The absolute worst. You can't get a quick haircut these days without an 'appointment.' Last week, I walked into a shop and asked the barber if his chair was available, to which he asked, "You got an appointment?" and to which I responded, "No." Yup, back to the waiting chair. 30 mins later, some guy walks into the shop and plops right down onto the barber seat, no waiting or anything. I mean, you've got seated customers waiting 30-45 minutes to get their haircut, and they don't take priority over some asshole who just happened to call ahead of time from the comfort of his home, without paying his dues? If traditional barbers (not hair-cuttery hacks) weren't so good at their trade, people wouldn't put up with them and their endless jive talking, interrupt-this-customers-shave-while-I-make-my-point-about-the-Dallas-Cowboys-to-this-other-baber ways.

Now, before common-sense GAF inserts their $.02 and reminds me of the merits of comforming to the common practice being vilified in my rant, as opposed to complaining about it, which ultimately yields nothing, let me add that I've online ordered Chipotle in the past and I've made haircut appointments, but I always felt like shit afterwards. Maybe it's because I've worked in retail and as a customer service representative in my youth that I've come to hold a greater appreciation for FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE. A concept that is being flushed down the toilet apparently.

1. If you hate waiting in the line, then go on your iPhone or whatever smartphone you have, open the Chipotle app and place an order. Then get off the line and go get it! I do that at places that have crazy lines and there is an app available for that restaurant or movie theater.

2. I am not sure where you go for a haircut, but my place is always walkin and go! Granted, I have been using the same barber for some time now, but still, it has never been an appt only type place!

Seriously, if you are unhappy with the way things are going, then make a change! Use the Chipotle App to get your food faster. Go to another barber who will take you on the spot. If you just keep with the norm, then you have nobody to blame but yourself, and then you'll end up making a thread on NeoGaf!

Because the person calling in is scheduling time out of a businesses day to organize their time in the most efficient way. You are randomly coming in and making them find the time for you. Just because you're spending more time doing what you're doing doesn't mean that the time you're spending is beneficial to the business you're at.

They're supposed to find time for me; I'm their walk-in customer. If they see me walk in at 4:00 PM, and the only thing keeping me from taking a barber seat is a call-in that is running 2 minutes late, I should get the seat, not defer to the other customer who's not even there yet. It's that simple.

True enough. The actual time period can vary depending on multiple variables including how many people are inside vs. drive thru, the size of the orders, and even just the indecisiveness of the person making the order. But in general, the Drive Thru gets priority in food preparation over the people who choose to order inside.

Every morning at Dunkin Donuts. I drive to a DD, get out of my car, walk in, get my coffee and get out well before the folks that pulled into the drive through before me get theirs. The times I went to the drive through it was always the same...someone ahead has an order for their office, slowing everyone else down.

So I just bypass that.

I think you could have rallied more people to your cause if you had stuck with Chipotle. I am with you on that one.

But...barbershops? That is a long-standing (you imply that this is part of a cultural shift), mutually beneficial arrangement. I can't even wrap my head around why a person would dislike that. It's not even really the same issue, is it? Calling ahead is not the same as an appointment. Ordering a burrito online is not the same as making an appointment.

"Walk-ins welcome!" has always implied that you are welcome to walk in and if they have an opening they'll slide you in. It's the best anyone can expect them to do. It would be prepostorous to have a barber who is just on hand for walk-ins at any given time, that is a great way for the business to bleed money. As is giving up appointment slots because the loyal customer is five minutes late and somebody else just walked in.

This. So much this. That's the worst part about all this, the people calling ahead of time are doing the courteous thing for the business as well. By not booking ahead of time you are making things more difficult for yourself AND the business you are going too.

They're supposed to find time for me; I'm their walk-in customer. If they see me walk in at 4:00 PM, and the only thing keeping me from taking a barber seat is a call-in that is running 2 minutes late, I should get the seat, not defer to the other customer who's not even there yet. It's that simple.
This isn't true and hasn't been for a very long time. Their job is to make enough money to be profitable, and if they can do that more effectively and efficiently by taking appointments (They do, which is why the system is in place.) over hoping that people are going to walk in at any part of the day that's the system they will use.

Do you honestly think that these businesses would be using these practices if they weren't beneficial?

And they will, once they've fulfilled their commitments. Like the one that they made with their appointment. And yes, they're doing to do the courtesy to the person who is running two minutes late because that person did them the courtesy of scheduling both their and the businesses time. Why make that person wait 30 minutes because of something potentially out of their control?

This post sounds as though there's an expectation or entitlement, when there isn't at all.

mackattk

The first come, first serve thing goes out the window for places who have reservations. Online ordering I can kind of see your point that way, but not many people order online (in my experience), that having a separate line for them doesn't impact the flow of the walk-ins too much.

On the other end of the spectrum, some of the places who offer call ahead seating. I call ahead before I get to the restaurant, I get there, only to be placed on the waiting list on a first come first serve basis along with everyone else. The call ahead function was useless and about made me walk out.

This isn't true and hasn't been for a very long time.

I'm realizing this.

http://www.losaltosbarbershop.com/no-reservations

See that? TRADITION. Explain to me why they emphasize the no-appointment part. It's because they understand it's a bullshit business model, and it isn't conducive to proper customer service. People thinking they can spout for just 15 seconds on the phone, then strut themselves into the barber seat without waiting. Fuck you.

imBask

Banned

says who? You're out of touch with reality, they don't owe you shit unless they have a big sign that says "WE PROMISE TO TAKE WALK-INS BEFORE APPOINTMENTS"

Man you're really going to hate when you go to a real restaurant.

Or doctor's appointments... Or anything really. Most things use appointments and things like a barber shop have been doing appointments (at least the ones I go to) for some time now. These are recent changes.

I'm realizing this.

See that? TRADITION. Explain to me why they emphasize the no-appointment part. It's because they understand it's a bullshit business model, and it isn't conducive to proper customer service. People thinking they can spout for just 15 seconds on the phone, then strut themselves into the barber seat without waiting. Fuck you.

:lol Goddamn you're out of touch reality. I'm not sure what some website for a barber shop that looks like it was designed in the 1990s is supposed to do for us. Barber shops have been doing this for pretty much over 15 years, I'm not sure how you just recently ran into this problem.

2 minutes is insane. Hell, their clocks could easily be off by 2 minutes.

I'm realizing this.

Okay this has to be a troll thread.

I'm realizing this.

Well go to that place then.

It's not a "bullshit" business model - taking bookings in advance means guaranteed income - the owners know they don't have to rely on people passing by and dropping in. It clearly works, or most barbers wouldn't use it.

Does waiting in the shop somehow make you a better person?

Sophia

Okay this has to be a troll thread.

You mean you didn't realize that when he made his comment about a $5 weave in? Maybe my popcorn gif wasn't obvious enough. :p

That Barber Shop doesn't appear to handle women's hair, so that would allow them to do no appointments more easily than an actual hair stylist.

I'm realizing this.

Okay, well, that's a barber for you then. I would never go to a barber that doesn't keep appointments. I would worry about them rushing my cut if there happens to be a long line, or risking ending up in a long line myself.

I'm not sure how many minds you are going to change with this anecdotal example. I'm sure there are many barbers who do not keep appointments. Hell, I had an internist once who didn't keep appointments (it was terrible). There are people in any field in which appointments are the norm that don't like dealing with them. The vast majority do and there are good reasons for that.

It isn't a troll thread. Look at my topic history.

I'm genuinely upset, but I think I've made my point and no one's really said much to refute it. I'll end my part of this discussion.

I'm realizing this.

Lol so because people want to use an efficient system that prevents them having to waste 40 minutes of their time that makes them an asshole? As has been explained countless times in this thread, booking ahead of time is beneficial for the business as well. Seriously is it better customer service for everyone to have to wait for 15 seconds, or to have to wait for 40 minutes? That's a hard one.

I'm really finding it hard to believe that you're not just trolling here.

I'm genuinely upset, but I think I've made my point and no one's really said much to refute it. I'll end my part of this discussion.

They have many times, most of which you haven't acknowledged and continued to post the same thing over and over.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dude, if a family decides that they have enough money to spend on getting a fast pass so they can let their kids not have to wait in line, all for them. Deal with it.

I did deal with it. I enjoyed my stay there whilst in between bitching about it to my wife and to anyone else who would listen to me.

I'm realizing this.

Actually that mentions you can hold a place ahead of time if the place is busy and there's a long line. It's just in person instead of over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom