• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does too much fanservice in games bother you?

Doosi

Banned
For me personally, I'd say no. But the recent changes in SFV for example don't bother me at all. I guess I am indifferent.

What about you guys?

Yes, it does. Especially when there doesn't seem to be any other value to the game beyond it's fanservice.

Honestly, though, the asinine and disingenuous arguments surrounding fanservice bother me a lot more.

Warxard

Banned
Only if the fan service depicts underage looking kids. I don't care if she's a thousand year old imp or whatever, breh she looks like a six year old.

Women in sexy outfits? Dudes in sexy outfits? Go nuts.

zsynqx

Yes. Any fan service should very subtle and something only huge fans of the series would pick up on.

Edit: Misunderstood what you meant by fan service. So you are basically asking do you like looking at naked videogame characters?

No, I know the difference between real and make-believe.
They should go nuts. If I don't like something I'll either not buy it or ignore it.

Greddleok

The question "does too much fan service bother you?" means by definition it will. It's too much.

I rarely find games that have "too much" usually too little. I love me some anime tits n ass.

Nightbird

If it reaches Senran Kagura Leves, then yes.

Other than that, i can ignore such stuff easily, so it doesn't bother me

gelf

I don't like it. There's a reason Dead or Alive doesn't always get taken seriously as a fighting game compared to others as it takes that element too far. I'm not offended by it, I just think it cheapens things.

I'm all for the whimsy and the fantastical. I don't expect my fictional worlds to mimic real life. I want exotic settings and I enjoy seeing exotic characters as well.

As long as you're not sexualizing kids, even fictional ones, I don't have a problem.

Cincaid

Wait, fan service == naked (young) girls for no good reason, other than "pleasing the fans"? Then yes, I have zero interest in it. Also, why even masquerade it with calling it "fan service" and not "naked (young) girls"?

Fan service bothers me more than many other things. It's unnecessary, holding the industry back, and unless it's equal on both fronts and used for comedic effects it's just essentially pleasing perverts.

Doesn't even have to be fan service though. When I was playing Sunset Overdrive and in the OT and people were posting their characters, there were always the dudes with the female character who took of her pants and gave her as little clothing as possible.

It depends on the tone of the fan service. If it's meant to be titillating I usually find it extremely off-putting, but if it's done tongue-in-cheek and over-the-top I enjoy it. DOA fanservice is too much for me. Mika in SFV I had no problems with though. Bayonetta is cheesy enough to where it doesn't bother me. It's a case by case thing.

Regiruler

Absolutely.
I don't like it. There's a reason Dead or Alive doesn't always get taken seriously as a fighting game compared to others as it takes that element too far. I'm not offended by it, I just think it cheapens things.
It's a shame too. There are some cool characters in the series, but quite a few of them have been cut because they don't have a good fanservice angle. I was a really good Genra in Dimensions.

If the fans didn't like it, they wouldn't call it fanservice.

People who hate fanservice are a tiny minority, it's why fanservice sells product. It just so happens the tiny minority are very vocal. However because most devs and publishers like money, they include fanservice anyways so it always works out.

Not a huge fan of it, and it instantly loses the ability to be taken seriously by the people I know because of it. Also I have some friends that are all about the fan service games, and I can't take them seriously either

Trickster

Only if the fan service depicts underage looking kids. I don't care if she's a thousand year old imp or whatever, breh she looks like a six year old.

Women in sexy outfits? Dudes in sexy outfits? Go nuts.

Yup

Edit - Though, fanservice or "sexification" of characters for no good reason in a sequel is something I dislike.

Aeana

If the fans didn't like it, they wouldn't call it fanservice.

People who hate fanservice are a tiny minority, it's why fanservice sells product. It just so happens the tiny minority are very vocal. However because most devs and publishers like money, they include fanservice anyways so it always works out.

That must be why the Vita is doing so well.

Warxard

Banned

It still sells because Casual fighting game players love titty, so DOA'll be alright

It depends on the fan service: hiding little nods to previous games and what not is awesome, filling your game with huge tits, short skirts, and panty shots is not awesome.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
When has "fan service" become code for boobs and ass?

Lime

If it's an integral part of the product, it doesn't bother me. I just don't play those games.

If it's just some side-stuff meant to stroke some male player's dick in an otherwise 'serious' game that I am actually interested in, then it bothers me.

Yep, but if a game is made for that specifically I prefer it as I can know it's not for me and move on, while the people that do like it can enjoy the product.

What I actually really hate in all media (games, comics, books, TV, manga/manhwa, the lot) is the blindside fanservice (of the sexual kind). A story can be progressing along without any of that stuff and be well done and then boom, some out of place sequence that was clearly designed to make someone make rule 34 fanart pops in, and then back to your regularly scheduled program. Pisses me off to no end.

Top Bottom