• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Sterling aims to 'dig up' dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling's team of lawyers has hired four private investigation firms to dig up "dirt" on the NBA's former and current commissioners and its 29 other owners, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.

The move was earlier reported by The Associated Press, citing a person familiar with Sterling's legal strategy.

Investigators were given a six-figure budget over the next 30 days to examine the league's finances, allegations of previous discriminatory conduct and compensation to past commissioner David Stern and current commissioner Adam Silver, said the AP source, who spoke Thursday night on condition of anonymity. The person wasn't authorized to talk publicly.

The person said the investigators also are looking into whether other owners made any off-color jokes, or racist or sexist remarks.

"The gloves are off, as they say," the person said. "Have them dig up all the dirt they can find."Sterling, 80, is suing the NBA for $1 billion in federal court after the league tried to oust him as Clippers owner for making racist remarks to a girlfriend that were recorded and publicized. Silver fined him $2.5 million and banned him for life.

The suit alleges the league violated Sterling's constitutional rights by relying on information from an "illegal" recording. It also says the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale.

"Now his objective is to demonstrate for everybody that the NBA is a damned hypocrite," Sterling attorney Bobby Samini told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "We're going to pull every case against the NBA. Then we'll demonstrate that the culture of racism and gender discrimination is born at the NBA, where Adam Silver has worked in a high-level position for a long time."

In addition, Sterling's attorneys will face off with his estranged wife's attorneys in probate court during a four-day hearing scheduled for July.

The probate court hearing centers on whether Shelly Sterling had the right to unilaterally negotiate a $2 billion deal to sell the Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. Shelly Sterling's attorney, Pierce O'Donnell, said she made the deal as the sole administrator of the Sterling Family Trust, which owns the team, after two doctors determined her husband was mentally "incapacitated." Donald Sterling is fighting that conclusion and her authority to sell.

The person who spoke to the AP said Donald Sterling reluctantly agreed to hire private investigators after this week's legal proceedings in probate court. The NBA submitted a legal filing Wednesday urging a judge to confirm Shelly Sterling's authority to sell the team.

"He realized these guys will literally go to any low to get this sold," the person said. "Even if it gets [him] nothing other than exposing all these guys and shaking up the league and seeing a change in the leadership of the league, it'll be worth it to him."

The firms will be engaged in an "audition" of sorts, the individual said: "Whoever delivers the best [material] is going to stay on for the next round, and it might be all four of them ... 29 owners is not a small undertaking."
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...g-hires-4-private-investigation-firms-dig-nba

Donald Sterling might actually end up being successful considering Cuban did something similar a while back and found "something."

I would LOVE it if NBA owners took it personally and in retaliation dug up evidence that Donald Sterling is in fact violating the fair housing act.

"He realized these guys will literally go to any low to get this sold," the person said. "Even if it gets [him] nothing other than exposing all these guys and shaking up the league and seeing a change in the leadership of the league, it'll be worth it to him."

The firms will be engaged in an "audition" of sorts, the individual said: "Whoever delivers the best [material] is going to stay on for the next round, and it might be all four of them ... 29 owners is not a small undertaking."

Makes him sound like a movie a movie Villian talking to his henchmen. Wonder if these guys have detective gaf skills or something higher.

Vyroxis

Banned
Well, if the recording did happen to be illegal I don't think it would be admissible in court. Meaning he has a fair chance at winning if he can get that far, as the NBA would be hard pressed to prove anything without it.

Gorillaz

From the get go I knew he would takedown everyone with him that he could. Players, Coaches, owners, the league itself. Hell maybe even different owns in other sports like NFL...hollywood maybe? Everybody and anybody that wasn't on his side for this.

It might get interesting. I might need to actually make popcorn for this whole shitshow

E92 M3

I don't care for the NBA; but the commissioner should have allowed the team to be sold and removed the fine/life time ban. Donald is an old billionaire with a lot of time and money - he will fight dirty and he will fight for however long he needs.

Good. The league deserves it and so does everyone who patted themselves on the back for "standing up" during this scandal (cough doc rivers and Chris Paul cough) even though they agreed to associate and take money from a known bigot and all around terrible human being

I mostly just hope his digging discovers that Jim Buss is secretly a nazi or something so that we can get him and his family to sell the Lakers.

Odoul

Yeah buddy.

Go after the NFL and NCAA while you're at it.

banetalia.jpg

Burn this motherfucker to the GROUND.

M3z_

Well if he decides to spend his efforts exposing people for sexist or racist practices then go ahead. It's not like the NBA is going to get exposed for those sorts of things and be like "Well I guess Don is more like us than we wanted you to believe. Welcome back." It will only force the NBA to own up to shameful behavior and change if that behavior exists.

He's such an insufferable little fuck. Take your racist ass, shut the fuck up and disappear, you asshole. So much for being "mentally incompetent" like he claimed.

This may sound morbid, but with the rumours going around about his health, what're the chances he even lives long enough to get his suit to trial? And if he does die before hand, who the fuck would keep the lawsuit going? His wife already wants to sell the team. Whats the point of going out in the most bitter way possible?

E92 M3

This may sound morbid, but with the rumours going around about his health, what're the chances he even lives long enough to get his suit to trial? And if he does die before hand, who the fuck would keep the lawsuit going? His wife already wants to sell the team. Whats the point of going out in the most bitter way possible?

Men such as him live on their own principles and don't like it when they're questioned (even if they are wrong).

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
This is like Marvel's original sin, but instead of super heroes it's nba owners. Coooooool.

Fathead

Well, if the recording did happen to be illegal I don't think it would be admissible in court. Meaning he has a fair chance at winning if he can get that far, as the NBA would be hard pressed to prove anything without it.

At this point it doesnt matter. He admitted he was the one recorded, and the NBA protected its financial interests in not losing its agreement with the NBAPA and stopping the bleeding of losing sponsors. Once he admitted to the statements, regardless of how the recording happened, the contract he had with the NBA gave them the right to strip his ownership due to the financial impact alone.

You cant be prosecuted for an illegal recording. You can be fired from your job for admitting to saying stupid racist crap that hurts your private employer.

Cat Party

They won't find anything interesting. The other owners probably don't record every conversation they have like asshole here does.

daw840

Can someone explain exactly what else this guy has done other than off handed racist shit?

I mean....most old people are racist to some degree, hell I love my grandpa but he says some questionable shit racially speaking.....

Maddocks

I hope this outs some refs, sick of them taking games over. Only sport where you know the refs first and last names like they are the players.

Can someone explain exactly what else this guy has done other than off handed racist shit?

I mean....most old people are racist to some degree, hell I love my grandpa but he says some questionable shit racially speaking.....

He is an LA slumlord that discrinamtes also

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

He's a documented slum lord. What he said in the privacy of his own home is basically the NBA's out. Trying to get rid of him while ignoring all the shit he's done in the past that they never acted on. Him trying to take the NBA out with him is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom