• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D coming on May 24 (Euro)

Sales-age, get hype!

Meanwhile those of us just wanting something to play have to continue yawning because it's hard to get excited about a game you've already bought. At least there's Luigi, Harmoknight and Fire Emblem in the preceding months, I guess.

LudwigB

I missed out on the Wii version, but I will definitely buy this when it's released. Like others have said, "my wallet is crying."

EVH

Meanwhile those of us just wanting something to play have to continue yawning because it's hard to get excited about a game you've already bought. At least there's Luigi, Harmoknight and Fire Emblem in the preceding months, I guess.

Just think about the no-shake.

I don't know if I'll buy it day one, but the fact is that I loved the game and didn't got the 100% so I will buy it eventually. Anyways, hope there's some new content like a new world or something.

I think 2D platformers work better on handhelds.

Maybe, but I'm not interested in springing for a port of a game I already bought based purely on that. I'd hoped Super Mario 3D Land meant we were going back to the Game Boy's Super Mario Land/Donkey Kong Land (1)-style original titles instead of the Game Boy Advance's Super Mario Advance/Donkey Kong Country ports but here we are.

Just think about the no-shake.

I could just use the Ocarina code if that was a concern for me. Not worth paying full price for the game again.

Maybe, but I'm not interested in springing for a port of a game I already bought based purely on that. I'd hoped Super Mario 3D Land meant we were going back to the Game Boy's Super Mario Land/Donkey Kong Land (1)-style original titles instead of the Game Boy Advance's Super Mario Advance/Donkey Kong Country ports but here we are.

Which 3DS Mario is a port? I think having DKC Returns on 3DS is a hint for a new entry in the future.

602089_459730890765574_2139400042_n.jpg

Made me laugh a bit.

Mael

Did you miss this?

Did you miss this?

Oh hey a port released after an original game and two sorta-kinda-stripped-down-remakes had already hit the system, put out six years after the game's initial release, that totally invalidates my point. Might as well mention Super Mario Bros. DX while we're at it.

Mael

Oh hey a port released after an original game and two sorta-kinda-stripped-down-remakes had already hit the system, put out six years after the game's initial release, that totally invalidates my point. Might as well mention Super Mario Bros. DX while we're at it.

You said that we were back to when no port of home console games were done and all that.
I mean we did get DKC on GBC in the end, that doesn't mean we won't get a new original DK game either.
And heck after SML2 we didn't get a new original Mario sidescroller till NSMB even!

You said that we were back to when no port of home console games were done and all that.

I said going back to original games. There's nothing to stop ports from happening after that, but I'd like new games to play first.

Also I said Game Boy whereas DKC was a Game Boy Colour game so gotcha on a technicality ;)

And heck after SML2 we didn't get a new original Mario sidescroller till NSMB even

[insert Yoshi's Island is/isn't a Mario game argument here]

Mael

I said going back to original games. There's nothing to stop ports from happening after that, but I'd like new games to play first.

Also I said Game Boy whereas DKC was a Game Boy Colour game so gotcha on a technicality ;)

I don't think I'll buy this one (because really I can play that on my Wii/WiiU with no pb),
but yeah I think it's a good they're thinking of even testing the waters there.
It's too bad Monster Games aren't doing something more productive though, they're awesome and deserve to work on something better!
I'm not saying this is shit though, then again if it means more DK games from them I'm not complaining if they can pull it off.

I meant handheld!
Yoshi's island is best Mario!

grumpy

March
Castlevania
Monster Hunter 3
Luigi's Mansion 2
Harmoknight
Devil Survivor Overclocked

April
Fire Emblem

May
Donkey Kong Country Returns

June
Animal Crossing
Code of Princess

Plus, scribblenauts is still coming out in Euroland, right?

Fuck my wallet.

gerudoman

I hope they start releasing direct feed videos soon, I want to check if they managed to keep the 60fps. If so I'll probably get rid of the Wii version and get this one.

There are a lot of 3DS games to play, I don't know why you are making a fuss about this. Monster Games isn't gonna make a DK game anyway, so might as well port a critically acclaimed game that new people can enjoy.

I hope they start releasing direct feed videos soon, I want to check if they managed to keep the 60fps. If so I'll probably get rid of the Wii version and get this one.

The one you can download on the eShop looks really really good. I'm not sure if better than the Wii version, but it looks fantastic in 3D and seems to run smoothly.

XenodudeX

Or they could work on a new Excite title or something. But y'know, porting this game to 3DS is probably a better use of their resources.

Who are you to dictate whats is and isn't a good use for a companies resources? You're not getting a excite truck. Stop complaining and let people who didn't get the wii version enjoy this.

gerudoman

The one you can download on the eShop looks really really good. I'm not sure if better than the Wii version, but it looks fantastic in 3D and seems to run smoothly.

The problem is that, if I'm not mistaken, all eShop videos run at 30fps, even MK7 one. And I agree, the game looks almost identical to the Wii version, that's why I'm afraid it won't keep the wonderful 60fps. Otherwise, it would be almost sorcery.

Stop complaining

Well see I thought this was a discussion forum where we could all exchange ideas and opinions but it seems I was confused. Now that you've clarified that it's the Positive Peeps Only Friendly Flower Time No Negative Nancies Hour I'll leave you to your business.

Has it been determined whether or not they're replacing waggle roll with button press? That's basically what it's hinging on for me. Otherwise, I'll just go play the wii version again.

If it still had waggle to roll, then it would completely break the 3D effect.

That's a good point. Even more reason to at least give the option to change the control setup. To this day, I still feel they integrated that waggle mechanic simply to appease the Nintendo Overlords...I can't imagine they'd really think it would be superior to a button press. Such a bummer it wasn't even an option and that you had to go through a roundabout measure just to play it optimally with a CC.

I'm hoping now that it's off the Wii, they don't feel pressured into using the same gimmicks. The 3DS does have gyroscope thingymibob though, so it's still a possibility.

Has it been determined whether or not they're replacing waggle roll with button press? That's basically what it's hinging on for me. Otherwise, I'll just go play the wii version again.

The trailer for the game shows the waggle command for punching in Tikis post boss battles replaced by X so you could draw the conclusion that X is the new waggle.

Top Bottom