• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date
haha. I know that feeling. I was a huge "thrower" in the 8 and 16 bit days but (S)NES controllers hardly ever broke; even when hitting a wall.
Now I always have an unplugged broken NES controller sitting next to me when I play Wii or WiiU. I case of anger and frustration I send it via airpost through the living room.
wiimotes and gamepads are too expensive to throw.
LoL, interesting idea!

I never threw a controller again after I broke a XBOX controller once. The first XBOX. It fell apart but still worked.

Ever since then, I kept cool and never wanted to throw one. Not worth breaking a expensive controller over my lack of skills in a game!

Feindflug

I didn't like Giana Sisters (bleh) but Sonic Generations is incredible on the PC. That's where it should be played.

I like Sonic Generations more than Super Mario 3D World, if I'm honest. My favorite platformer of the last several years so you better believe I would include it.

Besides, this was intended to show that platformers are still alive and well not that they are all Nintendo quality.

I should play the PC version then and hope that my old ass PC can maintain a steady 60fps, to be honest the game was a mess technically on the PS360...it was 30fps and was also running at sub-HD IIRC. :(

No, no. You shouldn't care at all, and I actually agree with you on those games.
Was just another rant at game reviewers :p

Oh..I misunderstood then. :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
edit: The reviewer may of docked points, because its too difficult for the targeted audience, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

If that's the case, I can't help but wonder what kind of enormous crybabies reviewers are nowadays. DKCTF is very challenging when you try to get gold or especially shiny gold medals, but just playing through the game shouldn't pose a problem to a person working in the games industry. That's just plain embarassing. Reminds me of the ridiculous Luigi's Mansion 2 review on Gamespot (oh yeah, no checkpoints in quite easy 10-minute missions... come on) or the Sonic Lost World complaints regarding the "unforgivingness" of the levels.

If the reviewer is incapable of stomaching a loss, then he should stop playing games where you can lose. I really like visual novel-kind of games (VLR, Ace Attorney), why don't they just play those, they are fun too and you cannot lose :/.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If that's the case, I can't help but wonder what kind of enormous crybabies reviewers are nowadays. DKCTF is very challenging when you try to get gold or especially shiny gold medals, but just playing through the game shouldn't pose a problem to a person working in the games industry. That's just plain embarassing. Reminds me of the ridiculous Luigi's Mansion 2 review on Gamespot (oh yeah, no checkpoints in quite easy 10-minute missions... come on) or the Sonic Lost World complaints regarding the "unforgivingness" of the levels.

If the reviewer is incapable of stomaching a loss, then he should stop playing games where you can lose. I really like visual novel-kind of games (VLR, Ace Attorney), why don't they just play those, they are fun too and you cannot lose :/.

Most game journalists are absolutely terrible at games, you only have to watch them playing E3 demos to realise that.

I honestly thought Returns was too hard considering the demographics they're aiming for. I was raised on the mean streets of the NES and even I found it difficult to the point of being annoying and frustrating.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't there an Easy mode this time around, anyway?

I can understand why some reviewers would dock point for it. If it's so hard that you can't enjoy it, then that will obviously color your impression of it.

Personally, I'm rather masochistic about my platformers. BRING IT ON

Bluth54

That's a huge plus (to me). screw checkpoints.
I want frustration-like difficulty at bosses

I'm fine with no checkpoints on the boss fights as long as they don't screw you over like the world 8 boss fight in Donkey Kong Country Returns, where if you die after the rocket barrel sequence you start without Diddy Kong, so you have the choice of redoing that or fighting the boss without Diddy.

JoeM86

That's what I don't get, surely higher sales meant more people wanted DK over Metroid. Why this weird insistence that no one wanted it?

Because Metroid is the awesome core title, but it seldom sells. It lacks mainstream appeal. From the outside, Metroid Prime would look just like a generic space shooter to the general populace.

I love it as much as the next person, and would love new titles. Same with StarFox and F-Zero, but the fact is that, no matter how awesome they are, these games don't sell and will not "save" the Wii U.

coldone

Because Metroid is the awesome core title, but it seldom sells. It lacks mainstream appeal. From the outside, Metroid Prime would look just like a generic space shooter to the general populace.

I love it as much as the next person, and would love new titles. Same with StarFox and F-Zero, but the fact is that, no matter how awesome they are, these games don't sell and will not "save" the Wii U.

Gamecube was a console curse. Nothing really sold well on it. The Wii version was too waggly.. neither it was for hard core fans nor a casual title. Same thing happened with two zelda's on Wii. It is not going to make people stand in line and buy a new WiiU. But will have much higher attach rate on WiiU than it did it on Wii.

gogoud

Most game journalists are absolutely terrible at games, you only have to watch them playing E3 demos to realise that.

tis true. it's very rare to find a good game journalist who can play well. who is up to the challenge. it's also just as hard to find a 'hardcore' gamer who can write/investigate/put their time into their pieces as some of the good game journalists out there.

It does suck. but this is the industry we're in. Ebert, rip, knew what made good movies, but he couldn't do a good movie himself.

in all fairness if a game is too challenging to the reviewer (average gamer) then it should be noted, and also should reflect the gameplay aspect of the review. Lowering the score because you have had tremendous difficulty in beating the game, or because the game is not what you wanted it to be tells many things about the reviewer(s).

We have these reviews every now and then, and you have to ask yourself how do some of these reviewers go through some games with unforgiving difficulty without some sort of assistance.

But who cares? The game is targeted at the hardcore platformer crowd who have played dkcr and enjoyed the difficulty, the unforgiveness, the creativity and some of the tid bits that made you throw your wii mote/3ds on the floor while yelling out every single letter of the alphabet.

I'm glad it's getting these reviews. I bought dkcr for the wife (now fiancee) on the wii. She didn't play it much and I struggled with the waggles. Then I got her and myself the 3ds copies. She played for 10 minutes and I had trouble playing dkcr with the 3ds. I might buy this... but I have high blood pressure since I was a toddler... been going through life, peacefully and relaxed without much anger, or yelling, and reading some of the impressions/reviews I may not live long enough to see the next retro game.

But I do love the sound track, so....

NEO0MJ

It does suck. but this is the industry we're in. Ebert, rip, knew what made good movies, but he couldn't do a good movie himself.

There's a big difference, though. We're not asking them to make games, just play them better. It's kinda understandable that most suck, though. When you have to play so many games and for so long every week eventually you're bound to gravitate towards the games that give you an easier time with your job.

I didn't think DKCR was even that hard, aside from a couple of the temple levels, so I hope TF is actually as hard as people seem to think. That would be awesome.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
tis true. it's very rare to find a good game journalist who can play well. who is up to the challenge. it's also just as hard to find a 'hardcore' gamer who can write/investigate/put their time into their pieces as some of the good game journalists out there.

in all fairness if a game is too challenging to the reviewer (average gamer) then it should be noted, and also should reflect the gameplay aspect of the review. Lowering the score because you have had tremendous difficulty in beating the game, or because the game is not what you wanted it to be tells many things about the reviewer(s).

We have these reviews every now and then, and you have to ask yourself how do some of these reviewers go through some games with unforgiving difficulty without some sort of assistance.

But who cares? The game is targeted at the hardcore platformer crowd who have played dkcr and enjoyed the difficulty, the unforgiveness, the creativity and some of the tid bits that made you throw your wii mote/3ds on the floor while yelling out every single letter of the alphabet.

I'm glad it's getting these reviews. I bought dkcr for the wife (now fiancee) on the wii. She didn't play it much and I struggled with the waggles. Then I got her and myself the 3ds copies. She played for 10 minutes and I had trouble playing dkcr with the 3ds. I might buy this... but I have high blood pressure since I was a toddler... been going through life, peacefully and relaxed without much anger, or yelling, and reading some of the impressions/reviews I may not live long enough to see the next retro game.

But I do love the sound track, so....

"AAEEEE!!!!!!!!"

*deep breath*

"BEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"

*gasps*

"CEEEEE!!"

I will now try this when frustrated with games. Thanks for the advice! ;D

As far as your wanting to maintain a level of peace while you play these games, I actually found Returns incredibly relaxing when you paid attention to the environments and animations. Being DK was like being Samus in Metroid Prime... just... fun!

mf luder

I read this in a review on *********.com 'The offshoot of such a dense game seems to be loading issues when starting levels (sometimes taking over a minute).' Is that really true?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I read this in a review on *********.com 'The offshoot of such a dense game seems to be loading issues when starting levels (sometimes taking over a minute).' Is that really true?

Unless someone's disc drive is extremely dirty, load times should never take over 25 seconds and should average in the low teens. Many levels (bosses and K levels especially) should load in 10 seconds or less.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I personally wouldn't trust ***********.com as a source for anything

Oersted

You could add this review by German site 4players to the OP though. 90/100.

They like a game? Hell freezes over confirmed.

Sorry, I don't know why that happened. Its on *********.

Its done it again. I type in the name of the site and that happens!

http://www.*********.com/reviews/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze

Ha! Well its just not going to work!

Lol. Junior, some sites are banned here. If you see asteriks instead of the name, just don't bother.

mf luder

They like a game? Hell freezes over confirmed.

Lol. Junior, some sites are banned here. If you see asteriks instead of the name, just don't bother.

Is there any way I can find out why its banned? I've been visiting it for years and its never done anything remotely controversial, must be a mistake.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way I can find out why its banned? I've been visiting it for years and its never done anything remotely controversial, must be a mistake.

Your best option is probably to PM a moderator.

Nico_D

I'm in World 2 now and I too would say this is a bit more challenging than DKCR. Which is excellent, I like my platformers hard - although Champions Road and Mystery House Marathon in Super Mario 3D World are killing me.

Aksala

Banned
NowGamer's review is really just a critique on Nintendo itself.

I especially want to point out the portion of the review where the reviewer says the game is too easy, and then backpedals by saying that there are many elements to the game that make it difficult, only to say, "But still..."

He also brings Call of Duty into the conversation and compares its yearly rehashing with that of Donkey Kong. It's very incorrect to do that since Donkey Kong is not a yearly rehash. The last DK game before this one was released in November 2010. This game was released February 2014, 3 years and three months apart.

NowGamer also says they criticize COD every year because of it's rehashes.

They gave COD Black OPs 2 a 7.5.

They gave COD Ghosts a 7.5.

They gave Modern Warfare 3 an 8.8 out of 10.

They've been giving higher scores to the yearly, bug-infested Call of Duty games than to a sequel released three years and three months apart from its predecessor.

It's a bad review.

atr0cious

Sorry, stop right here. Roger Ebert wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, he made a good movie.

And Ebert evaluated on what the movie wast, not what it should be.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
MMGN: 9/10

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a challenging, well designed and rewarding platformer. It's the perfect start to 2014 for Wii U fans, and has topped Returns in challenge, design, soundtrack and overall fun. Tropical Freeze is unforgiving at times, but that only makes success even more sweet. If you’re a fan of Donkey Kong, Retro Studios or a challenging platformer, you’ll absolutely love Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Top Bottom