• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Advice- PS4 Pro or PC With No 4K/HDR?

HOLY. SHIT.

This game is AMAZING. I am SO glad I got it on PC. Guys thank you.

I decided to stop OC'ing my processor. With very, very few exceptions this game runs at 60FPS. My god this might be the best looking game of all time right now.

I am ashamed to admit this but I’ve had the game since launch and haven’t played it yet. I’ve been so caught up in my JRPG backlog.

Eternal is just sitting in my SSD waiting for my 2070 Super to tear through

Velius

Banned
I am ashamed to admit this but I’ve had the game since launch and haven’t played it yet. I’ve been so caught up in my JRPG backlog.

Eternal is just sitting in my SSD waiting for my 2070 Super to tear through
Dude these levels are INCREDIBLE. Jesus christ they got these rotating fire lines it's like a Mario castle level. IN HELL.

The gameplay is crazy. You have to move and you have to kill. Ammo is limited so you have to use your abilities and the game is about choosing what ability to use on what enemies to refill ammo, health or armor. There are times when you get into this, almost a dance. Where you're just in tune and you're slaughtering an entire horde.

MY GOD it's amazing. When you blow off chunks of a Hell Knight and they keep coming but you can tell they're hurting

Gp1

HOLY. SHIT.

I decided to stop OC'ing my processor. With very, very few exceptions this game runs at 60FPS. My god this might be the best looking game of all time right now.

...i said it... lol

the only time that i notice a really fast frame drop was i the first hell gate when you glory kill/grenade/chainsaw a lot of minions all together (and i'm something saying like 10 or more minions )

Brofist

Game runs amazing, I don't think I get a dip from 144fps at 1440p settings all at max.

I'm ashamed to admit at first I switched to using a controller just for some of the platforming, but I've gotten used to that in Kb/M now.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
A 1080 can easily play this very well maxed out.
Also you can totally just plug your PC to your tv and play in HDR that way.

Cant imagine playing this on controller and I'm no pc snob. ive definitely played with controller on PC in plenty of mp games and did well.

But Doom campaign is just too crazy imo for controller. there are so many key bindings and the action is so frantic, even as someone who is comfortable on controller I feel like the experience would be lessened with one.

Oh, I should say I'm rocking mostly Ultra with a gtx 1080. I play around 120-144fps.
plays great on controller and i play PC. I prefer controller tbh but mostly because im pretty good with them, i could easily manage half of doom 2016 on ultra-nightmare with a controller when i was still playing it.
my cards a 2080 Ti and i use an Xbox Elite controller V2 if that matters.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Serious question, how the hell do you play Eternal on any difficulty higher than hurt me plenty with a controller? I genuinely feel like this game gets so intense on ultra-violence and up that its kind of too fast-paced for controller aiming. Nightmare has to be impossible with a gamepad, i refuse to believe otherwise and I'm not a m+kb snob in the slightest.

Larsowitz

HOLY. SHIT.

Glad you like it!

Do you play on ultra nightmare settings? Enabled dynamic resolution scaling?

Velius

Banned
Glad you like it!

Do you play on ultra nightmare settings? Enabled dynamic resolution scaling?
I'm playing on Ultra Nightmare.

I don't know if dynamic resolution is on. I'll check.

I only just started the third level. I have to say the second level might be the best level I've played of anything in my life

I played on PS4 Pro with the Back Button Attachment, but if I had the opportunity I would definitely play it with M/KB.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I often have this "dilemma" as well. I have a new 65 inch QLED and an One X vs a high end PC but with a 27 inch 144Hz QLED monitor without HDR. Due to this I've been double dipping a lot to see what I like the most (basically a matter of comfy sofa vs comfy chair, lol), and I always end up doing most time with the PC version.

Last edited:

kingbean

HOLY. SHIT.

Turn off the steam overlay and you'll get 90fps probably.

plays great on controller and i play PC. I prefer controller tbh but mostly because im pretty good with them, i could easily manage half of doom 2016 on ultra-nightmare with a controller when i was still playing it.
my cards a 2080 Ti and i use an Xbox Elite controller V2 if that matters.
We must be brothers lol. I'm running the same exact gpu and controller combo. Haven't tried it with kb+m yet.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cant imagine playing this on controller and I'm no pc snob. ive definitely played with controller on PC in plenty of mp games and did well.

But Doom campaign is just too crazy imo for controller. there are so many key bindings and the action is so frantic, even as someone who is comfortable on controller I feel like the experience would be lessened with one.

Oh, I should say I'm rocking mostly Ultra with a gtx 1080. I play around 120-144fps.
Haha WHAT this game is made for controllers.
The pc layout is backwards as hell.
2016 was fine.

But eternal is just keyboard spaghetti

Velius

Banned
In settings for steam should be a tab called in-game and turn off use overlay.
Then turn on the FPS counter built into dooms menu to see how much fps you're getting.
Okay I just did it and, while it never exceeds 60 FPS, it never dips below, even that part I mentioned at the beginning? There's NO stutter now!

THANK YOU!!! I LOVE THIS GAME AND I"LL BUY YOU A BEER as soon as coronavirus is gone

Velius

Banned
No prob.

I've got a 144hz monitor and vsync off so I'm always above 90fps on my 1080ti.
Ah okay, I didn't know Vsync unlocked it. I just checked both my monitor's-- they're both 60hz so doesn't look like that will happen for me, until I upgrade my screens

drotahorror

Haha WHAT this game is made for controllers.
The pc layout is backwards as hell.
2016 was fine.

But eternal is just keyboard spaghetti

Good thing you can rebind EVERYTHING on PC. Most layouts for any game don't work me, I have my own way of doing shit which I suspect a lot of PC players do.

Who stays with default binds for PC games and complains about it when you can rebind the keys?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good thing you can rebind EVERYTHING on PC. Most layouts for any game don't work me, I have my own way of doing shit which I suspect a lot of PC players do.

Who stays with default binds for PC games and complains about it when you can rebind the keys?
Stop
Srsly no

Stop 🤣

Kacho

I initially bought the Xbox version and maybe I’m just rusty but I found this game borderline unplayable with a controller. Double dipped on the PC version tonight and wooooow its a night and day difference. The gameplay feels so much better.

Quezacolt

I've played it with a controller on pc and had no issues, as long as you have experience with shooters on consoles, you will do fine.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
A friend of mine has it on PS4 and he's already beat it on Nightmare and moved on to going for Ultra Nightmare. That's with the standard DS4, at least in my case I have Razer Wolverine and the option to put 6 buttons onto the back of the controller. I can double jump, dash, flame belch, switch grenades, and equip sword all while aiming and moving at the same time, and he's still further along than me. Don't forget too that this game has aim assist and assisted secondary lock-on. I'm sure it helps a lot.

What changes between KB/M and Controller is mostly aiming precision and immediacy of weapon switching. On controller you have to change strategies to account for that. I find myself doing more evasion and target acquisition, along with planning/switching weapon combos in between groups of enemies. I'll play it through both ways. I just love the feel of pulling a trigger and feeling the rumble when shooting.

TLZ

Banned
I do this shit always, i buy and never play it until 6 months after. Feels bad man when discounts hits it.
When I realized I was doing that 6 years ago, buying games that slept in my shelf for many months, while their prices in shops shelves depreciated and in mine didn't, I stopped buying day one. Just leave it sitting in store shelves instead of mine and let them depreciate in price there. Then buy when the price is right where I'd have no remorse, or when I know I'm ready to play a game.

Larsowitz

I often have this "dilemma" as well. I have a new 65 inch QLED and an One X vs a high end PC but with a 27 inch 144Hz QLED monitor without HDR. Due to this I've been double dipping a lot to see what I like the most (basically a matter of comfy sofa vs comfy chair, lol), and I always end up doing most time with the PC version.

You could also connect your PC to the TV and play in HDR...this works for me on my OLED without any issues.

Ogbert

I’m not a PC snob by any stretch of the imagination, but this type of shooter is pretty much exactly what a keyboard and mouse is made for. Sure, you can get by on controller but it would be like playing Street Fighter on keyboard.

And a 1080 will shred it.

chinoXL

loving this game. slow walking it since i finally got around to finishing Doom 2016 and then bought this day one. running at Ultra nightmare on 3440x1440 and this game is crazy as hell compared to 2016. i also agree i dunno if i could run this game with a controller on PC. the quick turns are much easier with a mouse i feel

Tqaulity

Just in case others were wondering, I was in the same boat as the OP and decided to get it for the PS4 Pro (I may still get PC version later). The game (as expected) is amazing and looks and runs amazingly well. I went and played Doom 206 on my brand new high end PC at the time running ~90fs in ultra wide 1440p. It was a great expericene but I actually prefer controller over keyboard +mouse which is uncomfortable to me. Now, I get to play Doom Etenral on my PS4 Pro in my theater room on a 77in OLED with HDR and a Dolby Atmos surround sound system. Needless to say, it also is an amazing experience.

Seriously, image quality is pristine and the performance is immaculate with a near constant 60fps. This is a game that is absolutely viable on consoles (particularly the enhanced consoles) with a level of spec that eclipses the majority of PCs. The only way you will notice any deficiencies is if you had multiple versions side by side and was analyzing the images (a la Digital Foundry, NX Gamer, VG Tech etc). Nobody is going to run the PS4 pro version and say to themselves, it looks inferior to XB1X or PC or it looks so bad or blurry i wish i had another version. It really just comes down to preferred control input and gaming environment. But the PS4 and PS4 versions are best case scenario ports that is in line with the high end experience for the game :messenger_grinning:

Top Bottom