• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders releasing in NA in October on PS4 and Vita

If that's your rationale, then why PC? Why would you follow the success of minecraft platform-wise if you are an 'anti-Minecraft'?

Big audience. Mod support.

Also I'm pretty sure there's plenty of PC Minecraft owners who still share that sentiment of Minecraft: like the idea, but would enjoy a more structured take.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The idea that DQB can tap into Minecraft's success is frankly naive. DQB doesn't have the novelty, price point, platform availability, multiplayer or post-launch support that drove Minecraft into a phenomenom. It instead has a brand with limited western appeal. If you don't believe me, ponder this: How come Minecraft PS Vita Edition is a fixture on Japanese sales charts 15 months after launch, yet DQB is no where to be seen less than 5 months after launch? That's the market where DQ is its strongest and Minecraft is its weakest.

Not sure if I should get involved in this conversation... I'm not wishing for a PC version and I don't think there is a reason to think there will be a PC version either. Heroes was made by a company (Koei/Omega Force) that seems to produce PC ports with a flip of a switch considering their quality so I doubt Heroes ending up on PC will determine anything about this game.

Now my opinion on that out of the way let me get to what I replied to you for, doesn't your last sentence actually answer the question preceding it? I don't know if this game can tap in to the Minecraft audience or any PC audience either, but if the market for Minecraft isn't as big as DQ in Japan wouldn't a DQ with building progression like this naturally do worse there? Those who are interested in Minecraft would go for the real thing with the online and other features they want instead, wouldn't they?

I think it's hard to peg the audience for this with just the Japanese release. How have the PS4/Vita versions of Minecraft done here?

Well, finally time to get a PS4. Already been wanting to play Darius Burst Another Chronicle badly and Dragon Quest Builders was my other big wish. Very cool of SE to also bring it to Vita owners, I hope this is also a sign they are finally serious about trying to make DQ overall a more global brand. Now if we could just finally get the final western release dates for DQ VII & VIII 3DS and some more Joker love.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's not.

Vita owners should be happy they're getting the game here at all over SE passed up recent Setsuna, Mana and Romancing Saga 2 releases. If you want a physical copy, then go PS4.

Much truth being said here.

Is this a good game though? Isn't it just a map level editor? Does it have a story and beginning and end and lots to do? Also is it coop?

Powwa

Well I would prefer a physical release for Vita because I do like to own the games and I can lend it to the friends or my SO. However at this point I'm happy that we are getting it on Vita. Maybe if it sells enough we may see future releases in physical, just like what happened with Sword Art Online.

Is this a good game though? Isn't it just a map level editor? Does it have a story and beginning and end and lots to do? Also is it coop?
It was received very well in Japan and by importers.

It is not a map level editor. It is a building game with combat, gathering and quests.
It has a story with a beginning and end and many things to do.

It is single-player only, but if there's a Dragon Quest Builders 2 they might add multiplayer in that. http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/0...der-multiplayer-make-dragon-quest-builders-2/

Redhood

Seeing how the full game is 300mb I think this being digital is no offence.

Its the atelier series that break the memory cards.

MacTag

Banned
There's a fundamental difference though, Square Enix invested in the Bravely series for the West and managed to get a great return, whereas Dragon Quest remakes (and other games for that matter) hasn't exactly had the same success. However, the reasoning behind BD was not something related to the 3DS. If anything, it was related to how Square Enix thought that niche games couldn't be successful at an international level. In other words, they were surprised that a JRPG could sell well at an international level, which in turn made them rethink JRPGs.

That being said, I think it's clear that Dragon Quest is struggling to find success in the same way that Square Enix's other projects have. I don't even think it's a 3DS problem, as it's an issue that dates as far back as the time that Enix tried making Dragon Quest/Warrior successful during the time that Squaresoft broke the mold with Final Fantasy.
Square Enix didn't invest in Bravely for the west, Nintendo did. Which is sort of exactly the point; SE has shown a continual aversion to publishing on handhelds in the west despite the successes we've seen on 3DS and Vita, one of which (Bravely Default) even made them reevaluate their approach to western localization. This consistent aversion is why it's so surprising Vita is getting a shot with DQ Builders.

Wray

Is this more like rpg maker where u get to build an actual rpg? Or is this more like mindcraft where u build...stuff??

Teletraan1

Banned
The trailer did nothing for me since I wasn't sure exactly what I was watching in terms of gameplay. Watched a bit of a Lets Play and became intrigued. I always liked the concept of Minecraft but I don't really like aimless sandboxes. As a bit more of a guided path this game has me pretty interested. Was it a full price release in JPN or more of a budget title? I don't think I would plop down 79.99 in canada for this but I would bite if it is cheaper.

The trailer did nothing for me since I wasn't sure exactly what I was watching in terms of gameplay. Watched a bit of a Lets Play and became intrigued. I always liked the concept of Minecraft but I don't really like aimless sandboxes. As a bit more of a guided path this game has me pretty interested. Was it a full price release in JPN or more of a budget title? I don't think I would plop down 79.99 in canada for this but I would bite if it is cheaper.

IIRC, it wasn't a full priced game when I got it off the network. I had enough money left over for some other things, so it'll probably be 40 or 50.

Which is an absolute steal considering this game contains a lot of content and fun.

I'll be interesting to see what people make outta this game. I created a huge castle out of my starting village and had a few other neat houses here and there, but some of my friends set up shop in other places.

F4r0_Atak

Let's do this! Persona 5* and DQ Builders this Fall in NA!

(* Could still be happening. Worst case scenario, will import it!)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is there a big difference between the PS4 and PSVita versions aside from the graphics?

You dont go blind playing the PSV one.

WBiMBYM.gif

The only real reason to get the PSV one is if you plan on playing on the go a lot. Otherwise get the PS4 version.

Since with how the camera is pulled back kinda far depending on where you are, does make things a bit tiny at times.

Have both versions here

No co-op.

Game has a story for the campaign mode. Nothing super detailed though. If you are into building shit like minecraft games then yes you should be amused enough.

There is a free build mode that has no monsters in it which unlocks later.

trikster40

Finally. I loved the demo on the JP store. I was worried because I'm not a huge Minecraft fan but I like that this game feels like it has a purpose. Maybe they'll make a FF Builders one day...

Realize this is a funny question given the topic of this thread, but how's the language barrier? I watched a bit of a lets play and it seems like the story's cute, but the quests shouldn't be a problem despite my inability to read japanese using a bit of intuition and the little icons.

Realize this is a funny question given the topic of this thread, but how's the language barrier? I watched a bit of a lets play and it seems like the story's cute, but the quests shouldn't be a problem despite my inability to read japanese using a bit of intuition and the little icons.

I don't know Japanese but I was able to navigate just fine, save a few issues here and there. A guide exists if you wanna play it now, but you could decipher most of what the quests want.

Those same Youtube videos will help with what you need to collect, too.

Square Enix didn't invest in Bravely for the west, Nintendo did. Which is sort of exactly the point; SE has shown a continual aversion to publishing on handhelds in the west despite the successes we've seen on 3DS and Vita, one of which (Bravely Default) even made them reevaluate their approach to western localization. This consistent aversion is why it's so surprising Vita is getting a shot with DQ Builders.

"Invest" was poor wording on my part. Even though Nintendo localized and published it, it's still Square Enix's IP at the end of the day, and it's their choice to decide if they want to bring it over to the West. I really don't think there's any aversion to publishing in handhelds. Perhaps the Vita since it sold poorly (that and there's what, only FFX/FFX-2 off the top of my head?), but the 3DS doesn't really make sense. After all, Square Enix developed many of those titles for Japan and kept the titles there. They only brought over KHDDD, Theatrhythm games, FF Explorers, etc. because they relied on its brand's power to sell the games. Which is why Dragon Quest and so on never made it past Japan, as their selling power isn't as strong in the West in contrast to the other localized 3DS titles.

I don't know Japanese but I was able to navigate just fine, save a few issues here and there. A guide exists if you wanna play it now, but you could decipher most of what the quests want.

Those same Youtube videos will help with what you need to collect, too.
Ah good shit. I missed my window on a cheap copy, but I think if another comes across I might just go for it. Otherwise I'll be hoping for asian english.

Z3M0G

I think it looks good on Vita and the DQB Vita itself is gorgeous, not taking any fotos of that one. To lazy.
But yepp, another buy on both systems.
Wow this is first gameplay shots ive seen and assumed this was ps4 before reading comment and zooming in. If it runs smooth, vita may be the way to go some day.

Faustek

Wow this is first gameplay shots ive seen and assumed this was ps4 before reading comment and zooming in. If it runs smooth, vita may be the way to go some day.

It's not perfect. Have some dips here and there. Especially when you throw down a magic cannon inside a dig out with water and blast away but never noticed it in the fights. It also looks better depending on how much you zoom in or out. The loading isn't bad per say but comparing to PS4 it is slow when you first load up a world.

Top Bottom