• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Have you been to Bitterblack yet? If so, does its progress get reset once you begin NG+? I'm thinking of finishing the main quest and starting over (mainly aiming for Trophies at the moment), but if possible I'd rather not lose the progress I've made so far.

Not been there yet - I am starting BBI once I get the Platinum just to not think about it anymore.

You're welcome to use mine - I rarely play Dogma anymore (or the PS even), but I can log into PSN to add you. I've got a level 200 Ranger, PSN tag is Armdal. I can't remember what state I left the pawn in, but she should have mostly high tier gear.

You can add me too - PSN - Kinezo ..my pawn was left off running around in her underoo's, so let me know what you want her to be, and I'll gear her up - she's not lvl 200, but is high enough to help

Thanks, added you both.

Hung Wei Lo, the vocation doesn't matter, she just needs to be able to deal as much damage as possible.

Thanks, added you both.

Hung Wei Lo, the vocation doesn't matter, she just needs to be able to deal as much damage as possible.

You can add me as well.

RS_Daimon - lvl 200 Strider
Xpress24 - lvl 200 Sorcerer

rd78hKm.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nice Fashion Dogma. Dat dragonwing circlet is the best. Is that a coat of shadow, though? Oblivion's better but I guess it can be a bitch to get.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ah ok, it looked darker in my memory. Yeah I don't like the BBI lv.3 head pieces either. The red vocation helms are hideous, and the hoods and veils aren't that much better.

Guys....the final push is so hard...

Only 20 levels to get to level infinite, but its hard to stay motivated and grind. I much prefer to roam Grannys and its green lands and sunny skies, but it doesn't level you up like Bitterblack does. I don't like the Bitterblack geography as much as the rest of the Dogma world.

I pretty much just farm Death, but he's such a bitch and keeps running before I can land the final kill. And rancid meats don't come easy.

Ah ok, it looked darker in my memory. Yeah I don't like the BBI lv.3 head pieces either. The red vocation helms are hideous, and the hoods and veils aren't that much better.

I love the Immortal helm, especially with Oblivion armor
1417654_10152036830256294_1043762915_o.jpg

Had a great session on this last night, and beat the Ur-Dragon and a Cursed Dragon in Bitterblack. Got the Ascalon and decided to try it out (been using daggers up until now), and it's awesome so far. I really love the agility and speed the daggers have, but this is great too, with much better power and knockback, and almost as fast. Took it for a test drive with the Drake at Devilfire Grove and decimated the bastard about three times faster than ever before.

Tonight, I may summon one more Cursed Dragon for a battle, and then I'm going deeper into Bitterblack. I'm something like level 87 now, and I must be 90+ hours.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nah, it can't beat Fashion Souls, Fashion Souls has so many better armour designs. =) Buuuut the Dogma character creator can't be beat. Best I've ever seen.

When you go to NG+ do you have to recreate your pawn, or do they carry over as is? I don't want to lose my big dude.

It's gonna take you to the character creation screen, but everything will be preset as you had it. So if you want the exact same character you had, you'll just have to choose confirm character without making any edits.

Thanks guys. Just reading up on the Wiki (still at work and everyone else has gone home, so why not?) and in Bitterblack I'm really close to a couple of crucial locations, so I'm gonna stay there for a while before going on to NG+. One last question for the day; if I used a Rancid Bait Meat to summon a Cursed Dragon to fight in Bitterblack and I killed that Dragon, does anyone know how long until I can attract it to battle again? I don't want to waste my RBMs.

ZenaxPure

Thanks guys. Just reading up on the Wiki (still at work and everyone else has gone home, so why not?) and in Bitterblack I'm really close to a couple of crucial locations, so I'm gonna stay there for a while before going on to NG+. One last question for the day; if I used a Rancid Bait Meat to summon a Cursed Dragon to fight in Bitterblack and I killed that Dragon, does anyone know how long until I can attract it to battle again? I don't want to waste my RBMs.

There is no cooldown on it per se, if you lay meat to summon a dragon, after defeating him you can exit the room and walk back in to get another dragon from the same piece of meat. I've actually had a few times where I've gotten 3 dragons from one piece of meat (though that seems really random/rare).

Basically just keep walking in and out of the room and you can chain them forever. Bait meat was actually what I used to grind for the last 25 or so levels to reach 200.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not sure about the delay, but here's a trick to farm the Cursed Dragon (post-Daimon at least, not sure if that works pre-Daimon) for easy dragonforging:
Go to Duskmoon Tower, defeat the drake that spawns there, save, wait a bit, and if no Cursed Dragon spawns (sometimes they'll come on their own), drop a Rancid Bait Meat. You are guaranteed a Cursed Dragon spawn. After killing it, leave the area to go to the Vault of Defiled Truths, then come back to Duskmoon Tower. Another cursed dragon will already be there. I think you can leave and re-enter for another dragon if you defeated the previous one quickly enough, but I typically don't bother. I don't know if you can just drop another meat after that or repeat it, but it's a quick way to get 2 cursed dragons in a row and they're guaranteed spawns -- at least, they never failed to appear for me.

The cursed dragon can be baited in other areas too, but sometimes Death appears instead, Duskmoon Tower is pretty much guaranteed in my experience, never had anything but a Cursed Dragon after dropping the RBM there.

I wouldn't worry too much about wasting RBMs though, they become quite common eventually.

Holy shit; just got to the Dark Bishop and the bastard pounded me! When I was able to get close I could do some decent damage, but his area of effect attacks are goddamn devastating. Got a lot of things to manage and I'm running low on health potions, so I think I'll head back to the surface and come back again when I've levelled up some more.

Managed to farm a couple of Cursed Dragons one after the other, and they went down pretty easily. I used Pilgrim's Charm just before killing the first to get double XP, and then managed to kill the second while it was still active. Very nice way to level up. I also went to the Rotunda of Dread and there were two Condemned Gorecyclops there, which I could barely scratch. Ended up running away from them. A good night all in all, but I need to level up before taking on the Dark Bishop again. Maybe I should try a different vocation; I've maxxed Magick Archer, but never tried using proper spells. Might be a good time to.

Jon Armdog

Thanks, added you both.

Okay, I accepted the PSN add. I logged into the game to make sure she wasn't wearing a jester's outfit or some other crazy nonsense, fully intending to just equip-up my best gear and log out...ended up playing for like four hours. Ha ha...this crazy game. Just too fun.

Holy shit; just got to the Dark Bishop and the bastard pounded me! When I was able to get close I could do some decent damage, but his area of effect attacks are goddamn devastating. Got a lot of things to manage and I'm running low on health potions, so I think I'll head back to the surface and come back again when I've levelled up some more.

Yeah his AoE spells are crazy. My pawns always died instantly so I pretty much did the fight by myself and it wasn't hard when you learn the tactics. Run when he does AoE, wait for Cursed dragon to spawn, now being a Warrior with a beastly weapon I was able to kill the dragon in one hit with AoD, the bishop would then fall down iirc and I would go to town on him.

I beat the Dark Bishop and opened up the second shortcut in Bitterblack. However, I decided to push on with the main story and move to NG+. If Bitterblack has been reset I think I can get back to where I was fairly easily.

I want to get the Platinum trophy and then give my PS3 a rest for a week or two, as I've been playing until 1 or 2am and getting up for work at 6-7 every morning for a couple of weeks, and I'm starting to feel shattered.

One last thing; I really liked the game's ending. The stuff with the
Seneschal was interesting and thought provoking, and it was weird when I became Seneschal and could no longer interact with the world. I liked the idea that I could use my Godsbane to end it but he had no such choice
. Really great game, I've done about 100 hours now and I've enjoyed it so much.

Didn't get the chance to play this the last couple of nights, but I'll be back on it tonight. Going to concentrate on the story missions first of all, and then I'll probably return to Bitterblack once I've defeated Grigori again.

I am *this* close to 1000/1000 this game. Need to do only the Ur Dragon, the next 3 quests for The Hero and beating the game for the 2nd time of course. Currently I am 65% into the story in NG+.

Some questions first:

1) I've unlocked every level in every vocation for my main. Now what? I am sticking to Assassin because God of War and Kratos but should I switch vocations around in order to level up all the stats evenly?
2) My main and my main Pawn are level 85. Am I ready for Bitterblack? Never went there before.
3) There are some "Hidden Skills" on the "Set Skills Menu" that I have never even seen. How do I learn them? I do not know after 110 hours of playing the game, heh.

I am *this* close to 1000/1000 this game. Need to do only the Ur Dragon, the next 3 quests for The Hero and beating the game for the 2nd time of course. Currently I am 65% into the story in NG+.

Some questions first:

1) I've unlocked every level in every vocation for my main. Now what? I am sticking to Assassin because God of War and Kratos but should I switch vocations around in order to level up all the stats evenly?
2) My main and my main Pawn are level 85. Am I ready for Bitterblack? Never went there before.
3) There are some "Hidden Skills" on the "Set Skills Menu" that I have never even seen. How do I learn them? I do not know after 110 hours of playing the game, heh.

1) You should check the stats growth in the wiki sections to see what stats you are lacking.

2) The first 1/3 of BBI is pretty easy stuff.

3) Some of the hidden skills are only obtainable in Bitterblack Isle.

I'm close to the Platinum on my NG+ run-through as well. Done about half of the quest requirements for The Hero trophy and once that's done I'll move on to the others and finish the main story.

The ones I still need to get are:
Solitude
Servitude
The Hero
The Captain
Well Equipped
Into the Manse
The Ever-Turning Wheel
The Coin Collector
And obviously the Platinum, The True Arisen

Once I've got The Hero I'll concentrate on Well Equipped; getting 350 different pieces of weapons of weapons and armour, and then sell it all to try and get 10,000,000 gold. The others should be relatively simple to get.

Some questions first:

- I don't honestly know as I haven't really concentrated on that side of things, but I noticed last night that my main pawn, who has been a warrior or fighter the entire game, has over 4000 health and my Arisen has about 2700, which surprised me (both around level 106 with 90 something hours played). The information is kind of overwhelming, but I would recommend checking out the vocation information on the wiki for detailed information depending on what kind of build you want to go for.

- Definitely. I went there at about level 80 I think and while it was challenging, it was not unmanageable. There are some enemies there though who absorb damage like a goddamn sponge (Elder Ogres, Gorecyclops, Eliminator), but you'll quickly find armour and maybe even weapons which outperform the best from Gransys proper. I'd recommend taking down the Ur Dragon first though, as if you can beat that bastard then you can take down Undead Dragons who show up fairly regularly in Bitterblack.

- No idea, sorry.

Thx for the answers guys. Killed Ur-Dragon yesterday - that was a bitch of a fight due to the placement of his weak spots (on his fucking wings). I could outheal his damage pretty easy, the main problem was draining the last 2 orbs of his health bar. The physical change of the Ur-Dragon during the fight was phenomenal. Thanks for this game, Capcom.

img_3758kzsg8.jpg

With that out of the way - I am off to Bitterblack Isle. So far I've encountered only Hobgoblins and Ice Hounds (?) there that I can one shot. Seems easy :)

Damaging its wings was what I struggled with as well - I could not for the life of me hit the 'hearts' on its wings, and it took me ages to discover that you can just hit the wings themselves in any place and it causes damage. I did utterly hate the camera in that section too, as it kept ducking to floor level any time I was on its back and it started moving around.

Tiops

Ur-Dragon is so ridiculously easy with a Sorcerer. I can kill it farily easily with my Assassin, but with the Sorcerer the fight lasts for about 2 minutes.

Use some periapts, then Holy Affinity + Focused Bolt. Your attacks automatically targets the remaining hearts, and each attack can kill a heart if you're strong enough.

Actually, Focused Bolt is really overpowered for most of the game. I only have problems with my sorcerer with those damn magic resistant enemies, but nothing that can't be resolved by my pawns.

Bitterblack is fun.

I spend 30 minutes sniping some Chained Cyclops from walkways above in the Midnight Helix. Gained 2 levels after killing him. Then I moved to another garden area where a Wolf boss teleported out of nowhere. It was like a faster Chimera fight. Biggest problem was when he one shot my Pawns by throwing them up in the air!

I do not like changing Pawns that much, I did it very rarely in the main game - you can say I get used to the likeness of my Pawns and to the hell we've been through together in the last 40 hours. And so it happens that I have two LVL 52 Pawns with me which have 1000 and 1500 HP. They are not cut for the Bitterblack Island :D Need to swap them to something that is close to my level (95).

I also met Death :O My 3-Star Ascalon barely scratches him!

You may already know this, but Death is designed to be fought over many encounters, and when you meet it at random you won't be able to cause much damage. Best thing to do is either keep your distance and fire arrows like crazy or run away like Brave Sir Robin and I think when you re-enter the room it's always gone.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Run like a little bitch" was my go-to strategy for Death until I got BBI lv. 3 weapons, for sure. Not worth the hassle and you'll likely just lose all your pawns to the Rift while you waste time tickling him.

I like how Death's arrival is telegraphed by those eerie chimes. Always makes me go "uh oh..."

Killed the Beholder in BBI, yay. Sniping from the highest ledge possible hitting his lower eye lid worked well. The next batch of normal enemies is quite more powerful than the previous ones. Pyro Saurians and BBI Bandits pack quite a punch. Need to find a replacement for my Ascalon, stat. Also managed to take off one Death healthbar.

Game is great, a true 3D Diablo.

Hardest encounter in the whole game so far:

Cursed Dragon (the real one)? Easy.
Dark Bishop battle? Done.
Eliminators? Yawn.
Elder Ogre? UNCHECK.

(S)he decimated me. Again and again. And when she went furious she chased me to the place where there were Golden and Silver Knights waiting for me. Shit was fucking CRAY. Thank god for High Miasma - which is the only thing that damaged and killed the fucking ogre. I used a Wakestone in this fight which I consider "cheating" :/

BBI is crazy in the lower levels. This game is just insane.

Killed the Beholder in BBI, yay.

What's the Beholder? I don't recall fighting an enemy called that. You don't mean the Gazer do you; the enormous eyeball? A good tactic with that is when it's shooting the tentacles from beneath with the orange lava outline, get underneath it, as those tentacles hitting itself knocks it out and exposes the eye for tons of damage.

Hardest encounter in the whole game so far:

Cursed Dragon (the real one)? Easy.
Dark Bishop battle? Done.
Eliminators? Yawn.
Elder Ogre? UNCHECK.

(S)he decimated me. Again and again. And when she went furious she chased me to the place where there were Golden and Silver Knights waiting for me. Shit was fucking CRAY. Thank god for High Miasma - which is the only thing that damaged and killed the fucking ogre. I used a Wakestone in this fight which I consider "cheating" :/

BBI is crazy in the lower levels. This game is just insane.

Elder Ogres are utter bastards. They're so fucking durable and resistant to physical damage, which is where I put almost all of my effort for most of the game. It reached a point in Bitterblack when if I got an encounter with an Elder Ogre I'd just goddamn run. I could beat them, but it took ages and was a struggle. Bloody pawns didn't help either.

Did you get 1000g on this yet? I have to leave it a for while as I'm off on holiday. I'm also likely to miss juicy E3 gossip, which will be a shame as I don't know if I'll have much chance for wifi connection, and roaming data is £5 a sodding day!

dragonsdogma_darkaris33s5f.jpg

And that's that. What a magnificent game. An easy 10/10 in my book. 2nd best RPG of last gen right after Demon's Souls.

Shame about the lack of Dark Arisen trophies because I have no motivation to play it further after 140 hours and 1000/1000 it.

Lach

Damn I started again from scratch on Monday (this time Dark Arisen I got through PS+. The first time I played on launch on 360).

I'm hooked again, even though I can't comprehend why they would swap the theme song. Can I get the old one back somehow?

I'm right near the end now, about to start Honour and Treachery, and I'm just wondering if I can complete Bad Business after Reward and Responsibility but before Deny Salvation, or if I have to finish it beforehand?

I've done all sidequests now other than Bad Business, aside from Aelinore's final one which I can't do yet, and I'm just curious as to how long I can hold off doing it without losing access to it.

deim0s

So I picked up the DA version of the game and started a new game on "hard mode" - overwriting my original DD post-game save since release.

And lol, at level 26 I never thought I can be still one shotted by bandits, hobgobbos, and bats! Freaking bats!!!

I'm Level 26 now and totally forgot that it's easily to miss quests in this game. Seems I already lost some Cassardis quests already (I think, the church ones and something else?) upon reaching and a few bits of Gran Soren.

Do we have a quest list or breakpoints when to do them?

Dude, I love the original song. The wind is pushing me...eeeeeeeeeeeeee. The Dangan, bro. (Whatever the hell that is)

I was expecting this as the intro, why did they remove it from DA!? :/

I was expecting this as the intro, why did they remove it from DA!? :/

Probably licensing :(

Also, finally got the 360 version of this. Holy shit, I didnt think the performance would THAT much better (as a whole of course). Even the tearing was greatly exaggerated. ..

Top Bottom