• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn to Life: the next Chapter heads to Wii and DS

Pyrokai

schlew said:
Well, for what it's worth, Nintendo doesn't allow the developer (if different from the publisher) to be noted on the front of the box.

This isn't completely true. Professor Layton has Level 5 on the front of the box. Nintendo was the publisher, right?

See:
professor_layton_boxart.jpg

Jackson

Pyrokai said:
This isn't completely true. Professor Layton has Level 5 on the front of the box. Nintendo was the publisher, right?
Level 5 published the game in Japan, so in all likelihood it is the actual owner of the game. In most cases, Nintendo does not put a game's developer on the box cover. This is an unusual case since Level 5 was a publisher as well.

Pyrokai said:

See:
professor_layton_boxart.jpg

That's probably because it doesn't have the "Licenced by" above the Nintendo logo like all 3rd party games do (Since it's being published by Nintendo themselves) so the normal rule of no dev on the front of the box probably doesn't apply.

schlew

Nuclear Muffin said:
That's probably because it doesn't have the "Licenced by" above the Nintendo logo like all 3rd party games do (Since it's being published by Nintendo themselves) so the normal rule of no dev on the front of the box probably doesn't apply.

That Level 5 thing was a good catch though. Forgot about that. This whole issue came to light when Gamecock talked about their experience regarding Dementium and Mushroom Men (they were upset about this weird Nintendo rule, as they don't like the developer not getting proper credit on the front of the box).

Anyways, both these Drawn to Life titles look really good. They've certainly got me interested in the first entry (will look in stores tomorrow, but eBay might win out if I can't find it). I like the directions the two developers are going with their entries, and I like that Planet Moon may have a fire under their bum to outdo the creators of the series. They're both great studios, and I hope there's some healthy competition going on. Both titles will be better for it.

Nuclear Muffin said:
schlew said:
That Level 5 thing was a good catch though. Forgot about that. This whole issue came to light when Gamecock talked about their experience regarding Dementium and Mushroom Men (they were upset about this weird Nintendo rule, as they don't like the developer not getting proper credit on the front of the box).
As I noted above, though, Level 5 did publish this game in Japan. Nintendo marketed and distributed it in other regions, but Level 5 was the company that funded production and handled initial publishing--for all intents and purposes, it too was a publisher, so this isn't really an exception.

jarosh

ds version looks cool. wii version looks atrocious.

Jackson said:
Also David Hellman (Braid artist) drew the ending
omg seriously? WTF. are we talking about the ending for the first drawn to life here (i never finished it) or this new one? I NEED TO KNOW

Jackson

jarosh said:
ds version looks cool. wii version looks atrocious.

omg seriously? WTF. are we talking about the ending for the first drawn to life here (i never finished it) or this new one? I NEED TO KNOW

No he's doing this game's ending (DTL:TNC)

Although you SHOULD beat DTL because the ending has some cool surprises and ties into the 2nd game ;)

jarosh

awesome, thanks for the info. will buy day one then... but would have probably bought it anyway :)

i will hopefully beat the first one some day - you know i didn't stop playing it because i didn't enjoy it (i made all that metroid stuff, maybe you remember). i actually stopped - and this might sound a little odd - because i wasted way way WAY too much time drawing all the objects. and i got increasingly frustrated because i felt guilty whenever i half-assed it... but there were so many objects and i could never just focus on playing the game because i got too obsessed with drawing everything perfectly etc. :'(

Ramenman

jarosh said:
i could never just focus on playing the game because i got too obsessed with drawing everything perfectly etc. :'(

Yeah, this game was hell for perfectionnists :lol

I know what I'm talking about D:

Jackson

jarosh said:
awesome, thanks for the info. will buy day one then... but would have probably bought it anyway :)

i will hopefully beat the first one some day - you know i didn't stop playing it because i didn't enjoy it (i made all that metroid stuff, maybe you remember). i actually stopped - and this might sound a little odd - because i wasted way way WAY too much time drawing all the objects. and i got increasingly frustrated because i felt guilty whenever i half-assed it... but there were so many objects and i could never just focus on playing the game because i got too obsessed with drawing everything perfectly etc. :'(

lol I never thought about that. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DS Version is a buy for me.
I still can't believe how bad the Wii version looks to be though, and believe me when I say that I had my expectations set pretty low...

farnham

Banned
dunno why nobody is talking about this but i just checked out some wii version vids

and i have to say it looks damn impressive... almost like klonoa (graphicswise)

anyway how was the spongebob spinoff..?

edit : oh wow i just read the thread and everybody thinks the wii version looks baad..?

farnham said:
dunno why nobody is talking about this but i just checked out some wii version vids

and i have to say it looks damn impressive... almost like klonoa (graphicswise)

anyway how was the spongebob spinoff..?

edit : oh wow i just read the thread and everybody thinks the wii version looks baad..?
I was going by the pics linked earlier:

drawn-to-life-the-next-chapter-20090527045013730.jpg

Do you have a link to said video?

pakkit

Banned
Planet Moon needs to do original IPs again. Their casual output hasn't been terrible, but it's a far cry from their earlier glory days.

Battle of the Bands was terrible, though.

Top Bottom