• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Bikes - Review thread

All that's left is this:

O2lCIqw.png

Make it happen Evo...

yessssssssssss

Bought it and love it, but I have a question for a friend:

He only has the free PS+ version of Driveclub and only wants Driveclub Bikes (Standalone) but if he goes to the store (Germany) Hr only gets the 14,99€ version.
What's up with that? Can you buy the 14,99 extension for the PS+ version and it will work?!

yes it will

jaypah

This is probably my favorite arcade bike racing game ever. It is amazingly fun and I prefer it to the base game by a wide margin. Not that I even had gripes with the base game but bikes have me hooked!

I'm a huge bike racing fan so I was very hyped for this. It sounds strange but the handling is very driveclub-like. It's very easy to pick-up and unrealistically hard to fall off. On the other hand, being fast requires skill and learning each track for each machine just like over on the car-side of things. Unlike most other bike racers where not falling off or taking a trip through the gravel is all that really matters.

Deband

They are some serious differences physics wise.

The first Climax game I played was 06 on the 360. And I loved it. Then I went back and played previous iterations, 2 was b/c. It was fun, but I enjoyed 06 and 07 more.

07 was fantastic. 60fps, better cockpit views, and I actually enjoyed the career and extreme modes.
My favorite last gen though was 08. I just preferred Milestone's physics and cockpit views. You couldn't tap the rear brake to powerslide around which I know people loved.

Monumental did a great job with 10/11 too. Another one at 60fps, with great graphics and large grids across the classes.

I also played all of the SBK games that were released in NA or region free to import.

15 keeps a lot of the same Milestone physics as their previous MotoGP and SBK games. They did make it a bit tougher on Pro physics, you can easily lose it simply from changing from first to second gear from the bike stepping out.
They finally improved the graphics to make them closer to a next gen release, Milestone games have always been lacking in graphics, mostly the trackside details and lighting effects. Bike and rider models and animations have been typically been really good though.
Not too shabby-
19620624605_9ccfce11da_o.jpg

18998039794_35a4171a12_o.jpg

15 has a huge bike list, the full 2015 and 2014 MotoGP, Moto2, and Moto3 rosters. They also have a Redbull Rookies cup class as DLC, and historic packs including 4 stroke and 2 stroke bikes and riders. IMO, it's one of the best MotoGP games yet.

RIDE is fun, but really lacking in graphics for a next gen game. Super long load times too. But it has a great street and SBK type bike list. 15 tracks with multiple ribbons and you can customize your bikes and rider too. It's the only place to race Imola and Road America on a bike this gen.

Playing the same bikes between DC and RIDE is really jarring. It's amazing how good DC's bikes look.

So, long answer to your question and a unplanned rundown of bike games this gen I guess.

I played MotoGP 14 the most of any racer this gen so far. Went through the main tour of DC but a ton of DLC to finish. And I just don't have the time yet to play more 15 and pCARS.

Between MotoGP15, pCARS, WRC 5, and DC, I'm set for racing games for a long time.

Thanks for all the information in this post. I definitely loved the powerslides from the climax games. But I'm gonna give 15 a try after your review.

Jamesways

Thanks for all the information in this post. I definitely loved the powerslides from the climax games. But I'm gonna give 15 a try after your review.

If you haven't, try DC's bike pack. You can slide these around corners similar to the old Climax games. It's not the fastest way around apexes, but it's super fun.

I can't stop playing this pack Rushy! Great job, incredibly fun and addicting. Bring on more bikes for DLC in the future please.

newjeruse

Very positive review from Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-06-driveclub-bikes-review

So DriveClub Bikes is a very pleasant surprise, another fascinating chapter in the exceptional turnaround of Evolution's game. Don't expect it to change any of the fundamentals - multiplayer races are still overly aggressive, and the progression system still feels stunted and dumb - but do expect to see the work of a developer that's now firing on all cylinders. I can't wait to see what they do next.

RECOMMENDED

Top Bottom