• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub dev "had confidence" servers would work - compensation possible

Funnily enough, DC in its current state still feels like a launch title despite the year delay.
That Sony/Evo have the balls to charge full price for this incomplete game is just shocking.

Still waiting on that weather patch....

I wonder if the current problems will see them delay the weather patch to 2015?

Yeah I suppose so.

I dunno, I just feel like I got robbed, frankly. I was really looking forward to the game, got it day 1, and now the portions I was excited about are not available 99% of the time. I told my friends I was gonna play the game with to hold off, and now I'm hoping Amazon gives me at least Amazon credit for the game after I opened it. Maybe if everything gets really ironed out later on ill buy it again for cheaper.

Oh I can certainly understand the disappointment in it all, but lets not pretend that this is the first high profile game with a messed up launch.

You're in a better situation that me in that you have purchased retail, I've bought from the store and whilst I realise that some functionality is missing the biggest annoyance for me right now is that I get the disconnected message. I'm still really enjoying the game in it's current state.

I wonder if the current problems will see them delay the weather patch to 2015?

I doubt, the engine is really good, is the netcode that need some rework: different people work for different part of the game. Also, with this debacle, Evo need to release something new and soon as possible to uphold the public attention

DOWN

Banned
Most these issues would have all been avoided had they not made this a game that's online only. They get the flack for this because of their own choices and Sony's silence as well.

It's not online only. There's a single player tour that I've played more than 10 hours getting all accolades in and I'm halfway through.

All I know, is if this game was multi plat, was delayed a year, released without things as basic as replays, private matches, had fundamentally broken, unplayable online, not even that hyperbole bullshit that people like to call broken/unplayable, kicked people out of SINGLE PLAYER events when connection dropped to PSN........heads would be doing some public rolling.

We'd have threads about digital refund policies, much use of the word "shady" due to the demo version being scrapped so the full extent of the games broke ness is reserved only for paying customers.

Just generally loads of bad press, everywhere. No, even more than this.

EVO are damn lucky in that regard, as well as the fact that's the only thing that represents a racing game on PS4 right now.

All I know, is if this game was multi plat, was delayed a year, released without things as basic as replays, private matches, had fundamentally broken, unplayable online, not even that hyperbole bullshit that people like to call broken/unplayable, kicked people out of SINGLE PLAYER events when connection dropped to PSN........heads would be doing some public rolling.

We'd have threads about digital refund policies, much use of the word "shady" due to the demo version being scrapped so the full extent of the games broke ness is reserved only for paying customers.

Just generally loads of bad press, everywhere. No, even more than this.

EVO are damn lucky in that regard, as well as the fact that's the only thing that represents a racing game on PS4 right now.

Shady would be them just pulling without reason, they have made it very clear the reasoning for pulling the PS+ version, if you CHOOSE to purchase the full game to get early access, then you should already know what to expect. They haven't said we're pulling the free version but the paid for is working fine. They have given reasons which are perfectly acceptable.

Mugatu

I hate to sound entitled but I'm still sore about this going from a free with PS+ game to a free demo with PS+ demo. I could understand delays but given that other stuff I've completely lost interest in this game.

Dougald

Shady would be them just pulling without reason, they have made it very clear the reasoning for pulling the PS+ version, if you CHOOSE to purchase the full game to get early access, then you should already know what to expect. They haven't said we're pulling the free version but the paid for is working fine. They have given reasons which are perfectly acceptable.

Someone who doesn't slavishly follow GAF/[insert-gaming-news-source] isn't going to know what to expect

HORRORSHØW

I hate to sound entitled but I'm still sore about this going from a free with PS+ game to a free demo with PS+ demo. I could understand delays but given that other stuff I've completely lost interest in this game.
it was never intended to be a free game on +. your disappointment is a product of your imagination.

Ambient80

Oh I can certainly understand the disappointment in it all, but lets not pretend that this is the first high profile game with a messed up launch.

You're in a better situation that me in that you have purchased retail, I've bought from the store and whilst I realise that some functionality is missing the biggest annoyance for me right now is that I get the disconnected message. I'm still really enjoying the game in it's current state.

Oh heck no, not at all. I'm actually really surprised how much folks seem to be giving the devs lots of slack on this, considering they'd likely be asking for heads to roll if this were another game from EA.

Some of you guys not-so-subtly hinting towards 'SonyGAF' should visit the Driveclub OT thread, it didn't reach OT2 so fast because of people discussing the game itself.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I guess it's not all that shocking that while Evolution are amazing at visuals and other stuff they're not exactly masters at the online bit. Their previous games have only had really basic online multiplayer, nothing like what they've attempted here. Do we know if they hired any new people with online/server competency before/while making the game?

rambis

Banned
Of course they have an end. Their end was to make sure their server code didn't have bugs in it, which they failed at.
I don't see how "server code with bugs in it" is of any consequence here.

Its quite obvious that whatever quantity of clusters they set aside aren't sufficient for the loads this game presents. The fact that the dev pleaded that synthetic load tests were good corrobates that this issue is indeed server loads. Which hardly falls on Evo to provide as a first party studio.

hamchan

I don't see how "server code with bugs in it" is of any consequence here.

Its quite obvious that whatever quantity of clusters they set aside aren't sufficient for the loads this game presents. The fact that the dev pleaded that synthetic load tests were good corrobates that this issue is indeed server loads. Which hardly falls on Evo to provide as a first party studio.

Well, you have the game director directly contradicting you so.....

https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521409277479895040

@KrisTheKritik We've got no limits to the amount of servers or the quality of hardware, its purely down to the server code having some bugs.

I still don't know if I should buy this. Of course when they fix this major issue. But im waiting on that ps+ version to try it out.

Noobcraft

I still don't know if I should buy this. Of course when they fix this major issue. But im waiting on that ps+ version to try it out.
It really is a hit or miss game. Lots of people here love it, but I really didn't like it at all (and I usually like racers). I ended up trading it in and waiting for something else to come this fall. If I were you I'd wait until the PS+ version comes and decide from there. I think it's one of those games that people will forget about in a month or two.

Grimløck;135105103 said:
it was never intended to be a free game on +. your disappointment is a product of your imagination.

Full game minus a FEW© cars and tracks.

Hey guys, "few" means over 80% of something.

"You did good on the test, only missed a few© questions"
"What was my score?"
"19%"

BRB using imagination for word definitions.

Have they said what the compensation will be yet?

PSN Store credits? Free game/DLC?

Funnily enough, DC in its current state still feels like a launch title despite the year delay.
That Sony/Evo have the balls to charge full price for this incomplete game is just shocking.

Still waiting on that weather patch....

Right.

rambis

Banned
Well, you have the game director directly contradicting you so.....

[rl]https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521409277479895040[/url]
Twas the 12th. Theres multiple links on the driveclub twitter last week that explains how server upgrades have gotten more users on the servers and how its brought them closer to plus edition. Hes even retweeted those.

The above is likely him saving face for sony, who was taking a pr beating for PSN at the time. Or just him speaking too early.

Hugstable

Banned
Have they said what the compensation will be yet?

PSN Store credits? Free game/DLC?

Ehh I'm hoping that maybe they do a huge discount off the Season Pass and reimburse some PSN credits to those who already bought the season pass. I really wouldn't mind that since there seems to be alot of content planned and I wouldn't mind playing it, but I'm sure I won't spend 25$ on it right now on a game with an uncertain future at this point. I've said it alot and I love this game and it sucks to see such a fun game dealing with so many issues that will hurt the overall perception of the game

Top Bottom