• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub dev "had confidence" servers would work - compensation possible

I think DC is a good game but you know that being a brilliant game means noting if sales are bad.
Based on the recent NPD, I bet Drive Club will out sell Forza Horizon 2 in its lifetime. Especially when they get the ps+ version up. It's a good game. And every ps4 owner with plus will get to see for themselves eventually.

I think evolution will be fine. At least that's what I hope for.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Based on the recent NPD, I bet Drive Club will out sell Forza Horizon 2 in its lifetime. Especially when they get the ps+ version up. It's a good game. And every ps4 owner with plus will get to see for themselves eventually.

I think evolution will be fine. At least that's what I hope for.
FH2 chart last month?

Considering that there has been almost no marketing I going to say that it doing decent to bad.
Is it possible that they sold way more than expected and had way more people than they thought there would be trying to connect causing the server problems? I think with it being one of the only racing games on PS4 and it's install base, it is probably doing at least as good as expected at this point. Just a theory.

Heroman

Banned
Is it possible that they sold way more than expected and had way more people than they thought there would be trying to connect causing the server problems? I think with it being one of the only racing games on PS4 and it's install base, it is probably doing at least as good as expected at this point. Just a theory.

I dont think so , since they had to expect millions of players due to the ps+ plus version.

I dont think so , since they had to expect millions of players due to the ps+ plus version.
Yeah I think it's been explained as some kind of server bug, or to do with the way the game communicates with the server. I don't think it's just a player load issue.

Good point.

I still think DC will have sold well so far. It was one of the games shown during the reveal and I would think most people with a PS4 knew it was coming out regardless of lack of marketing.

FH2 chart last month?
It didn't do too well considering it was on both the one and the 360. Not well at all. I know the numbers but not sure if allowed to say.

But I don't want this to be about Forza, my point is that no one is clamoring for playground studio's death, even tho the sales weren't so hot.

No one should be worried about Evolution just yet. I'm sure they're doing everything in their power to fix the online, as the actual game is pretty awesome.

Can it be improved? Of course! and hopefully there'll be a sequel to take care of that.

ThisOne

Kinda sad to me that these issues will likely kill the player base. Same thing happened to Socom 4 when it released and then like 3 days later PSN was hacked and offline for like a month. Hardly anyone was interested in Socom when it came back online despite the fact that it was a decent game.

OmegaDL50

I think DC is a good game but you know that being a brilliant game means noting if sales are bad.

Are you honestly using the "Sales are an indicator of quality" angle?

This is Argumentum ad Populum aka the Appeal to the Masses logical fallacy.

I don't buy that it is a simple bug. It has been too long.

It must be a total and complete miscalculation of eventual server load. Someone inexperienced was at the helm of that part of the project.

The thing that drives me crazy is *MY COPY HAS NO CONNECTIVITY* and I'm not into the theory of exceptionalism -- I'm pretty sure I'm not exceptional in this.

Therefore Evolution studios, or PSN has a bug beyond that which is making for a shitty experience for those that do have connectivity, they have a bug that completely cuts off some people who bought the game.

As in, cuts them off 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by PSN username or user ID. Or by PS4 console serial number or something else weird like that. You name it, I've tried to eliminate it, and I've never got a hint of connectivity. Up to and including this moment in time.

The only thing I haven't tried is to rent or borrow a disc copy, delete the PSN pre-order digital copy, and try that instead. Why should I pay to rent a game to debug this issue?

Heroman

Banned
How convenient for your argument to decide which studios compare to evolution.

Those studios that have created some of the biggest ips in gaming vs Evolution who created a b tier Sony ip.
Are you honestly using the "Sales are an indicator of quality" angle?

This is Argumentum ad Populum aka the Appeal to the Masses logical fallacy.

How did you get that from my post? I said that being good doesnt mean that you sell a lot.

oggob

I think the following happened: Sony expected sales of X and budgeted servers for sales of X. The game might have done moderately better than that or Sony budgeted for medium-term demand rather than launch day. Racing games are not huge, it's not unrealistic. They are rearranging the deck chairs, so to speak, to make the game lighter on sever queries or what have you, but the long term solution is that people will stop playing and the servers will become responsive. That's my two cents. It's a real shame it isn't working 100% yet but I find the reactions here to be pretty callous.

I agree with this at some level, BUT the PS+ edition, a version of the game that is meant to go live to PS+ members at the same time as the retail version.

Supposedly there are 10M+ consoles out there in the wild, even if you say there is a 20% adaption rate on PS+ memberships, that leaves you with 2 million accounts that potentially might want to have a look at what is being offered. Perhaps the game did sell higher than their expectations, but they should have known there are heaps of people that have been mentioning they will try it out before making a decision.

Sony/Evolution are struggling with retail copies... Imagine if they released the PS+ version, it would be armageddon at this point!

It is disappointing, but it has improved alot since go live and it will keep improving and that's all that matters at the moment.

The SP is fun as hell. Evo, hope you stick around. We need more games like this. and for those that say, "we need more games that are released broken?" you haven't played the game, because if you have, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

drotahorror

Those studios that have created some of the biggest ips in gaming vs Evolution who created a b tier Sony ip.

How did you get that from my post? I said that being good doesnt mean that you sell a lot.

Evolution Studios did in fact create the best arcade racing series ever. Keep that in mind.

5 days tracked and didn't chart in the top ten, nope. Which is also a bummer.

Am hopeful that an audience does actually exist out there to support these games, but I'm not sure on the economics of it.

Over 510,000 on the leaderboard as of today ( subtract 5 - 10% for used and multiple gt houses) the game is doing fine 21 days after launch.

nelchaar

Those studios that have created some of the biggest ips in gaming vs Evolution who created a b tier Sony ip

Evolution Studios did in fact create the best arcade racing series ever created. Keep that in mind.

What drotahorror said. Heroman, You clearly either don't care for evolution, or don't know much about their history, or maybe even have it in for Sony exclusives. I don't know, but this post of yours is enough for me to cease to care about your opinion concerning this issue.

The SP is fun as hell. Evo, hope you stick around. We need more games like this. and for those that say, "we need more games that are released broken?" you haven't played the game, because if you have, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

this is an understatement.

i was gonna wait for the PS+ edition, but all my friends bought the game, and it was $30 cheaper than what I normally pay for a full game. So with some hesitation I bought the full game. And from the get go it hits you; the gameplay in Driveclub is fucking amazing. The mechanics, the track design, the graphics, the music, are all top tier.

It exceeded my expectations big time, and it will probably be one of my GOTY contenders when all is said and done by end of this year.

Over 510,000 on the leaderboard as of today ( subtract 5 - 10% for used and multiple gt houses) the game is doing fine 21 days after launch.
Awesome! And when the ps+ version goes live that number will double. At least.
Million seller confirmed. Even Knack hit one million sold.
Can't wait for drive club 2!!!

im just being hopeful

Edit: hasn't it only been less than 2 weeks since it came out? Even less in the European countries?

Heroman

Banned
Awesome! And when the ps+ version goes live that number will double. At least.
Million seller confirmed. Even Knack hit one million sold.
Can't wait for drive club 2!!!

im just being hopeful

I wonder how many ps+ user download the game they are given each month.
What drotahorror said. Heroman, You clearly either don't care for evolution, or don't know much about their history, or maybe even have it in for Sony exclusives. I don't know, but this post of yours is enough for me to cease to care about your opinion concerning this issue.

He didnt say anything, creating the best of something doesnt mean anything, if it did then sony Liverpool would still be around and there would still be burnout games

Wouldn't this all have been avoided if PS+ edition was released on 1st like every other PS+ game instead of dropping it with full game? They would've caught the error early on and it would've worked as free beta/demo as well as PS+ version that they promised. But no, they probably didn't want free version to cannibalize the sales of full game, and look where we are now.

Xenon

It's amazing that Sony seems to get off hook here. It's obvious that this game could not have possibly made launch. Yet it was presented as a launch title. The whole thing has the stench of the "me too" play from their play book. Oh MS has motion controls, me too.(quick slap together a tech demo) Oh the XBO is launching with a 1080p racer, the PS4 too! But ours is going to have real time lighting and weather. But it was bullshit. The game was released a year later running at half the frame rate of Forza 5 without weather. However, it doesn't matter because you had people criticizing Forza 5 for baked lighting, no weather, and 2D crowds. They were able to offer up a competitive racer without actually having to release it. Brilliant! If I had the time I'm sure going back and reading all the quotes about F5's lack of weather would be a hoot in light of all we know now.

I don't think that DC's developer should be shutdown because they accomplished the goal Sony set out for them. Besides, Sony is the publisher that squeezed this turd out. Their name is on the game and they need to take some responsibility for not jumping in to help steer this game away from the disaster it seems to have become.

I know there are people enjoying the game, but that doesn't make DC's delays and problems go away.

It's amazing that Sony seems to get off hook here. It's obvious that this game could not have possibly made launch. Yet it was presented as a launch title. The whole thing has the stench of the "me too" play from their play book. Oh MS has motion controls, me too.(quick slap together a tech demo) Oh the XBO is launching with a 1080p racer, the PS4 too! But ours is going to have real time lighting and weather. But it was bullshit. The game was released a year later running at half the frame rate of Forza 5 without weather. However, it doesn't matter because you had people criticizing Forza 5 for baked lighting, no weather, and 2D crowds. They were able to offer up a competitive racer without actually having to release it. Brilliant! If I had the time I'm sure going back and reading all the quotes about F5's lack of weather would be a hoot in light of all we know now.

I don't think that DC's developer should be shutdown because they accomplished the goal Sony set out for them. Besides, Sony is the publisher that squeezed this turd out. Their name is on the game and they need to take some responsibility for not jumping in to help steer this game away from the disaster it seems to have become.

I know there are people enjoying the game, but that doesn't make DC's delays and problems go away.

what in the world...

Nailed it. I was just thinking the other day how was this game ever going to be a launch title.

This game really brings out the stupid in people. Meanwhile, it's an awesome racer. Go fucking figure. Fuck these schoolyard hardware allegiance agendas.

Ya! The real problem here is Sony failed at copying Microsoft. :/

Kilau

Gold Member
The whole thing has the stench of the "me too" play from their play book. Oh MS has motion controls, me too.(quick slap together a tech demo) Oh the XBO is launching with a 1080p racer, the PS4 too!

Driveclub revealed Feb. 20 2013

Forza 5 revealed May 21 2013

Some of these people in here are acting like:

tumblr_m4z6nxpjeF1qc8g9f.gif

When we have a fully functioning single player unfortunately plagued by MP issues. Sorry, I don't believe that is worth shutting down an entire studio over. Glad some of you don't make such decisions.

The thing is, that like with most big games, once it's over there is some downsizing. I shall await the shit storm of a thread blaming bad sales and poor launch for this normal practice.

Considering that there has been almost no marketing I going to say that it doing decent to bad.

So you literally don't have any numbers to speak of and using "marketing" (which really means how many commercials you have or haven't seen on TV) as a declaration on how much sales a game gets. Even gamefaqs would be appalled by this logic.

The one thing this thread really needed was a fanboy to bring the console warz to justify his/her purchase.

Xenon

So by announcing 3 months before Forza 5, Driveclub was already copying Forza 5? Really? You're going to need to come up with a better argument than that.

Not copying, but rather offering a competitive product. Sony needed a racer at launch to match Forza, they showed us Drive Club.

This shit makes me want to quit neogaf hard.

Not copying, but rather offering a competitive product. Sony needed a racer at launch to match Forza, they showed us drive club.

DC is not trying to be FM, that's GT's gig. Stop using DC as your shitty console warz Trojan horse. At least play the game before you want to act like it has no redeeming value.

Fuck, man.

Biker19

Banned

Not copying, but rather offering a competitive product. Sony needed a racer at launch to match Forza, they showed us Drive Club.

You serious? C'mon...

Gaf is a little bit overprotective with Driveclub
12 days in, servers still bomba and this is not the only problem with the game.

So we should just Jeff gerstmann it? I actually own the game and I think it's an amazing racer, and that's without the online. It is not trying to be FM, and definitely has its own unique voice in the genre. I hope one day it's sense of time and place become the standard in other racers.

Kilau

Gold Member
I think everyone already knew the 720 was launching with Forza 5.

No, it doesn't work like that.

We could argue that "everyone already knew" that Evolution was making a next gen racing game for Sony.

Yep Driveclub got delayed and missed launch, I was upset.

Xenon

Grimløck;135090043 said:
revisionist history? wasn't driveclub announced/shown before fm5?

Something tells me Sony knew about Forza 5 before May 21st.

No, it doesn't work like that.

We could argue that "everyone already knew" that Evolution was making a next gen racing game for Sony.

And if MS announced Forza 5 as launch title and then released the game almost a year after launch, incomplete and a buggy servers you would have a point. Sony presented a game that was obviously far from being ready as a launch title. Why would they do that? Not only did they say it was launch but it would be free for their new for PS plus users. Probably to help make that pay-wall multiplayer pill easier to swallow.

Top Bottom