• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

aganu

Watching one of the off-screen gameplay videos, I have to say the cockpit view looks odd... I think these are my issues with it:

- The twitchy steering animations need to be smoothened out by maybe adding more frames.
- Hands grip on steering wheel need to be moved slightly upward to make it look more realistic (see GT5's grip in cockpit view)

Shaneus

Motorstorm was amazing. I'm pretty sure its the 1st (only?) off road racer that had deformable terrain. A next gen version of that would be mindblowing.
Sega Rally says "hi". Might not have been the first, but it's definitely not the only.

Like i said in the other thread, the game looks mind blowing in trailers they released.

iVeKrQM7zkOQY.gif
Pro hint: The trailers I believe have been put together by the guy who used to work for Bizarre and worked on the intros/trailers/teasers for Blur, PGR 3 and 4 (possibly others), The Club and I'm sure other titles as well... all of which used 100% in-game assets and the in-game engine. I think the only difference at least with those titles was that the rendering was sped up for the super slow-mo shots. So take that as you will, but I'm pretty confident that all that stuff cut in those trailers is at least all in-engine.

impressions by the fastest e3 driveclubber:

19911_10152904133135057_872310254_n.jpg
He said the magic three letters. Make no mistake, hype rising considerably. Great impressions.

Hilti92

Does the game let us kind of freely look around the interior and exterior while racing? Like.. If we move the right analog around while driving, we can see different angles of the inside and outside of the car? That is a must for me.

HooYaH

Does the game let us kind of freely look around the interior and exterior while racing? Like.. If we move the right analog around while driving, we can see different angles of the inside and outside of the car? That is a must for me.

I just wish Sony would just say, "Fuck it! We are supporting Oculus Rift and Drive Club is our first title using it." The only drawback, the game has to be 720p/60fps.

orioto

Good Art™
Pro hint: The trailers I believe have been put together by the guy who used to work for Bizarre and worked on the intros/trailers/teasers for Blur, PGR 3 and 4 (possibly others), The Club and I'm sure other titles as well... all of which used 100% in-game assets and the in-game engine. I think the only difference at least with those titles was that the rendering was sped up for the super slow-mo shots. So take that as you will, but I'm pretty confident that all that stuff cut in those trailers is at least all in-engine.

But if this is in the current build, why oh hell why did they choose to demo something so sad and lame compared to that. That is still a mystery to me.

I know demos are a pain to do cause you have to shift some resource and time to it when you're actually needing all your resources to finish the game in time.. Maybe the time delay between the demo and the actual game is actually pretty huge.

But if this is in the current build, why oh hell why did they choose to demo something so sad and lame compared to that. That is still a mystery to me.

I know demos are a pain to do cause you have to shift some resource and time to it when you're actually needing all your resources to finish the game in time.. Maybe the time delay between the demo and the actual game is actually pretty huge.

Probably their most stable build.

Bringing a buggy, unstable demo to a show like E3 is a terrible look. IMO that would be worse than a build with bad graphics.

Hilti92

I just wish Sony would just say, "Fuck it! We are supporting Oculus Rift and Drive Club is our first title using it." The only drawback, the game has to be 720p/60fps.
I think it's safe to assume that Sony will develop an Oculus type device unlike the one they had before. I really hope so anyways. If they want 10 years out of this console, that is how.

Shaneus

I was just about to say... this:
Probably their most stable build.

Bringing a buggy, unstable demo to a show like E3 is a terrible look. IMO that would be worse than a build with bad graphics.
I'd wager that there's some kind of "god mode" that allows for custom cameras and such that would be the latest build, but may only work with replays if controls are buggy, that sort of thing... certainly not something that could be packaged up and used for demonstration at E3. Better people play the game to get a feel of it at an early state than something a bit newer that never gets past the loading screen.

GorillaJu

Wait, Drive Club had "bad graphics"? The game looked fantastic to me in the videos I saw, it just needs some nicer looking environments.

I don't necessarily believe everything I hear from E3 impressions. When Demon's Souls was revealed and demoed at E3, it was slagged off as an ugly generic fantasy game with clunky controls. What I saw with my eyes in the videos taken looked really good.

Drive Club is perhaps suffering from the "blank slate" syndrome where everyone is projecting their own expectations onto it. Trust in Evolution to deliver a good game in the end as they have in the past. Sony wouldn't be using this game as the face of PS4 if it wasn't looking up to snuff.

Wait, Drive Club had "bad graphics"? The game looked fantastic to me in the videos I saw, it just needs some nicer looking environments.

I don't necessarily believe everything I hear from E3 impressions. When Demon's Souls was revealed and demoed at E3, it was slagged off as an ugly generic fantasy game with clunky controls. What I saw with my eyes in the videos taken looked really good.

Drive Club is perhaps suffering from the "blank slate" syndrome where everyone is projecting their own expectations onto it. Trust in Evolution to deliver a good game in the end as they have in the past. Sony wouldn't be using this game as the face of PS4 if it wasn't looking up to snuff.

I meant to go back and put quotations on "bad". I don't think the graphics are "bad" at all, I think people are comparing it (perhaps unfairly) to Forza which at this point just has more visual "pop" to it. They're also comparing off-screen in-game footage to the 1080p direct feed trailers which is always going to end up in disappointment.

I meant to go back and put quotations on "bad". I don't think the graphics are "bad" at all, I think people are comparing it (perhaps unfairly) to Forza which at this point just has more visual "pop" to it. They're also comparing off-screen in-game footage to the 1080p direct feed trailers which is always going to end up in disappointment.

Unless they compared them in person.

Loudninja

Seems like the environments need work, but the cars look fantastic.

demolitio

Seems like the environments need work, but the cars look fantastic.

Pretty much which I don't think is too uncommon since you'd expect some of the cars to be complete by now whereas the environments can improve a lot in half a year, especially with Evolution's history of using some sort of secret sauce at launch after less than impressive demos.

The game doesn't look bad by any means but the environments are definitely the weakest part and it doesn't help that they're not lively cities like other games so it's even harder to impress people. I'm sure there will be a few mountain backdrops that will make me drool though.

Shaneus

So can we say this is a PGR game in spirit?
I think we can. There's only one or two people at Evolution who worked at Bizarre (and I'm not sure of their level of influence on this game) but with them hiring Eamon Urtone (dude I mentioned before, worked for Bizarre, cut all of their showreels/intro and promo movies etc.) I'm convinced they're using it as one of their, if not the biggest inspiration for the game.

WQdvR54.png

I really love the lighting model in this game - whatever they've done, it really gives a very unique, almost-cinematic look to the game that its rivals lack.

Shaneus

WQdvR54.png

I really love the lighting model in this game - whatever they've done, it really gives a very unique, almost-cinematic look to the game that its rivals lack.
For reference, the license plate in that screenshot bears the surname of the guy who cuts the trailers ("Urtone"). That's why I was so pumped when I saw that specific screenshot :D

Exactly my thoughts.

This is getting stranger and stranger.
Eyetoy Wheel.

Espada

Just got a confirmation from someone who's on the team that not only does the game look like that, it'll probably look better when it's released. HYPE.

While running at 60 fps like they're targeting? I don't know, man. Those are some pretty serious visuals they're chasing.

I don't know if this has been posted here, but the game will have 50 cars and 54 tracks at launch.

Have they mentioned which cars and tracks these are?

Mascot

OK, Driveclub looked pretty shit at E3 and has disappointed a lot of people. For the sake of argument let's put that down to a stable demo of very old code for the purposes of E3.

E3 has been and gone, yet the memory of off-screen jaggy sub-30 Driveclub remains.

Why the hell don't Evolution release some up-to-date HD direct-feed gameplay footage (NOT post-production replays, or fancy camera angles, but GAMEPLAY) showing us the game in a better light and eradicating all those bad E3 memories?

amar212

I was told if a wheel works on the PS4, it'll work on DriveClub.
But, yeah, we don't know which wheels will work on PS4 yet. Presumably most top-end PS3 ones will.

Well, all we can hope is how HID/USB standards for both TouchSense SDK (Logitech and Fanatec models) and Thrustmaster T500RS will be supported. The outcry would be unimaginable - and I still can't gather any concrete info on this subject, no matter how I am trying.

50 cars? WTF?
Imagine how many we will get with ps plus.
Good start,this game will have alot of DLC.
Plenty of tracks in the game.
Yes. They also said in a different interview they will be support the game with fresh content weekly for free for PS4.

Yes, I was also told about *weekly updates*.

From info I got from my friends who were at E3, I see DriveClub as somehow *covergence* between classic on-disc and free-to-play approach. Team has a great idea behind everything and they are establishing a system where long-run players (teams) will be able to get their load of fresh content throughout the lifespan of the game.

Same is crafting for GT6 to be honest, so it is probably a prospect of the future for the genre on consoles: make game ship with satisfactory quantity of content for initial and casual players and in the same time have the foundations for keeping the game alive for long-term players.

While I personally do not care about cars, new tracks during the lifetime (as also announced for GT6) will be great step towards longetivity.

Yes, Ged Talbot was the lead designer for all you've mentioned and his inclusion in DriveClub is extremely important and IMO welcomed.

Also, on another note, my friends also told me these very interesting details regarding actual game-design:

- there will be up to 20 members for one Club
- when you drive and race you get your "LV" points - AKA points that ranks you among the players, but they also add to your Club Ranking within game, but..
- ...now comes the twist: if you decide to go (migrate/transfer) from one Club to another, you are taking all your points with you to your new Club, while your previous Club's score and Club Ranking position is adjusted based on points you took with you
- so, basically, there will clearly be some crazy "MVP" things going on there, which is a great idea IMO

GTSurgeons Club vs NeoGaf Club will be spectacular :D

TJP

Hmm..I see the magic 3 words 'Project Gotham Racing' have been mentioned..I'm suddenly very interested now!

Top Bottom