• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Games launching with the release of a new console have always been special cases, Marty. If you're going to try and bang me over the head with your impressive industry credentials, you should know there isn't really any time when console launch games are really "ready" to be shown outside of very near to the launch itself. And you know full well that taking that route wouldn't result in any less criticism in the interim

More to the point, we can be constructively critical of their progress and express valid concerns about whether they might be overly ambitious in their goals for a launch game without resorting to uselessly dismissive slags like "crappy product", which is just completely unappreciative of the developer's willingness to let us see their progress in the first place. Why should it strictly be the developer's responsibility to show some restraint and good judgment here?

Well you said and I quote:

If you're not an afficionado of the actual craft of making games, then don't look.

so I felt like I had to state my background before I could critique.

I understand launches and, just be to clear, by no means do I think any of the games shown indicate the capabilities of either system. I've also worked on a launch title before so I know what a frantic rush it is to get something going and how you're always short on time; even more so than a normal dev cycle.

I completely agree that calling it a crappy product is uncalled for. I do however think it's quite valid to say it didn't look impressive, to point out other games that are coming out on the next gen systems too and to compare them, and to call them out on the discrepancy between the unveiling and the first playable. Those are all legit things that I feel are warranted and so are negative impressions. Clearly the competition was able to get their stuff in a position that looked better so to say there's no good time for a console launch title to be shown isn't true.

Just to be clear, my stance on all this is I like Evolution and their games and know what they're capable of. I also understand the harsh conditions of a launch title so it's also to be expected that things are underwhelming in the end. I'm just saying I was disappointed at the gap between the release trailer and what I played and in comparison to other next gen titles. It was underwhelming and the criticism is warranted. I'm still looking forward to it and seeing how it turns out, but I'm less enthused than I was before.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Marty, did you see me attacking any of your criticism of what was shown? I quoted specific people for a reason. Way to misread, as usual.

Marty, did you see me attacking any of your criticism of what was shown? I quoted specific people for a reason. Way to misread, as usual.

I didn't like the qualification you had put out for someone to make a judgement call on it. And again, while I think calling it "crappy" is uncalled for, I can certainly understand where the negativity is coming from. I'm not misreading anything here.

Shaneus

From (re)watching the E3 trailer and going through the various impressions, the more I think about it, the more I think this game basically *is* a PGR game, but imagine PGR with live online scoring for each corner you take to compare to your friends. I really like that idea, as long as it's not too obtrusive or the game isn't too heavily reliant on that aspect of it. Online stuff can be good, but it can also be annoying at times (see: Horizon).

nib95

Banned
From (re)watching the E3 trailer and going through the various impressions, the more I think about it, the more I think this game basically *is* a PGR game, but imagine PGR with live online scoring for each corner you take to compare to your friends. I really like that idea, as long as it's not too obtrusive or the game isn't too heavily reliant on that aspect of it. Online stuff can be good, but it can also be annoying at times (see: Horizon).

If I'm honest, it was the online side of things that put me off the title initially. But I'm still willing to give it a try. Fact that a pseudo version of it is free on PS+ certainly helps. Hopefully it's a decent game, especially with PGR5 supposedly on an even longer vacation...

If I'm honest, it was the online side of things that put me off the title initially. But I'm still willing to give it a try. Fact that a pseudo version of it is free on PS+ certainly helps. Hopefully it's a decent game, especially with PGR5 supposedly on an even longer vacation...

Didn't some of the PGR guys (Ged Talbot) join Evolution?

GorillaJu

At least, after seeing the bad impressions at E3, why didn't they tell something or show something more advanced to reassure people..

Because they're busy working on the game and it's only a small group of nit picky people who want to see more. Your E3 presentation isn't "do or die," it's a small preview - different publishers and developers put varying weight behind their E3 showing.

There will be more as it approaches release, no doubt.

I'm glad about the limited cars and lots of tracks. The maximum I try is 20 cars. I'd rather have very high quality cars like in the trailer with amazing environments then lots of scrap metal that most people would not even try. They should have statistics in games like Gran turismo just to see how many different cars people actually play.

Loudninja

So what are the facts about this game?

-50 cars
-54 tracks
-Day/Night cycle
-Free weekly DLC
-Weather
-Dynamic lighting
-Aiming for 60 FPS
-You can customize the look of your car
-Damage
-Social features

Sure there is more.

Amir0x

Banned

-50 cars
-54 tracks
-Day/Night cycle
-Free weekly DLC
-Weather
-Dynamic lighting
-Aiming for 60 FPS
-Damage
-Social features

Sure there is more.

54 tracks includes mirrored ones and such?

Amir0x

Banned
I am not sure but that's a good guess.

Yeah 54 is a pretty lovely number even with mirrored courses, and the car count ain't bad either. These are obviously launch games, but not a bad effort if it hits 60fps too + hits the mark with its amazing team racing features.

orioto

Good Art™
Because they're busy working on the game and it's only a small group of nit picky people who want to see more. Your E3 presentation isn't "do or die," it's a small preview - different publishers and developers put varying weight behind their E3 showing.

There will be more as it approaches release, no doubt.

I don't know, i believe E3 is the more mainstream coverage you can have for a game before its release. A bad show like that isn't only bad for a small group of nitpicking people. It's bad for a good amount of people having tried, or heard (or didn't) about the game and who won't care now.

Loudninja

Yeah 54 is a pretty lovely number even with mirrored courses, and the car count ain't bad either. These are obviously launch games, but not a bad effort if it hits 60fps too + hits the mark with its amazing team racing features.
Agreed,I am no racing fan but I am actually interesting in this one because of the club aspect.

I am 99.9% certain that drive club is going to look great when it launches. Visuals are the least of my worries for any PS4 title. whether or not devs can deliver a game that plays well and utilizes the ps4 core features that has me worried.

I am 99.9% certain that drive club is going to look great when it launches. Visuals are the least of my worries for any PS4 title. whether or not devs can deliver a game that plays well and utilizes the ps4 core features that has me worried.
Yeah I agree. I'm a little more concerned that the game won't be much fun in single player since I'm not sure how many of my friends will get into it, even the free PS+ version. We'll see.

sunnz

-50 cars
-54 tracks
-Day/Night cycle
-Free weekly DLC
-Weather
-Dynamic lighting
-Aiming for 60 FPS
-Damage
-Social features

Sure there is more.

If only, IF ONLY there was a

- open world

in that list, would have easily been my most anticipated title for next gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, it sounds like Evolution and even Guerrilla didn't polish the E3 demos all that much and just focused on the games. Making demos takes a ton of time and they want to be good to go for launch.

Yeah, it sounds like Evolution and even Guerrilla didn't polish the E3 demos all that much and just focused on the games. Making demos takes a ton of time and they want to be good to go for launch.

Yeah I was at bethsoft when they were working on the fallout 3 demo, and man was it hectic around the office. Pretty much all hands on deck to get that thing just right for the game play reveal.

Amir0x

Banned
Where has weather been confirmed?

I don't know if they showed it, but they said you can make custom multiplayer events based on time of day, weather, car type, etc.

From this thread, you can see the quote.

- cars will take damage, but it won't affect handling
- AI lies somewhere between an arcade and simulation racer
- in terms of additional cars, it will apparently be one of Sony's 'biggest dlc games'
- tracks are on open landscapes with large draw distances
- you can play offline or as a single player if you wish
- you can create race events of varying types and size, configure time of day, weather etc. have sprawling multi-day events with hundreds of teams

So there ya go :)

Jedi2016

Evolution Studios, if you're reading this and I know this is way too early, but please think about a water based arcade racer for your next game. Would be a great way to really show off the PS4 with some sick looking water effects.
Man, somebody needs to do this, seriously... we went an entire generation without a single jet-ski game, or any other aquatic racer. I really miss those. And they were fun as hell back on PS2.. just imagine what could be done with today's simulations and physics, not even mentioning graphics.

from the last pr blurbs , i think they left it as "fewer cars and tracks, but not features"
Good to know they've said something about this, I was wondering what the "PS+ Edition" was. The fact that it was a separate edition told me right off that it would probably be limited in some way. Still, it'll make for a hell of a demo to try it out before deciding to shell out the cash for it.

GorillaJu

I don't know, i believe E3 is the more mainstream coverage you can have for a game before its release. A bad show like that isn't only bad for a small group of nitpicking people. It's bad for a good amount of people having tried, or heard (or didn't) about the game and who won't care now.

But it wasn't a "bad show." It was spoken of very well by everyone who played it. The mainstream doesn't care about texture quality.

beast786

Yeah I was at bethsoft when they were working on the fallout 3 demo, and man was it hectic around the office. Pretty much all hands on deck to get that thing just right for the game play reveal.

maybe that is why infamous demo looked the best, because of there late launch they could afford to spend time on the demo

LCfiner

But it wasn't a "bad show." It was spoken of very well by everyone who played it. The mainstream doesn't care about texture quality.

eeeehhhhh. let's not distort the truth. A good number of hands on impressions were middling.

It wasn't unanimous praise, hence the somewhat pessimistic tone in this thread for most of E3 week.

Doesn't mean the final game will be of the same quality, but let's not ignore the more negative comments of the E3 build.

-50 cars
-54 tracks
-Day/Night cycle
-Free weekly DLC
-Weather
-Dynamic lighting
-Aiming for 60 FPS
-Damage
-Social features

Sure there is more.

Photomode is mentioned in the current issue of Games TM.

The latest shots with the grain applied are probably photomode shots, what other options are available in this mode Rushy?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I didn't like the qualification you had put out for someone to make a judgement call on it. And again, while I think calling it "crappy" is uncalled for, I can certainly understand where the negativity is coming from. I'm not misreading anything here.
I wasn't setting the bar particular high for anyone, Marty. You certainly didn't need to give me a 20 yr resume. Just being able to distinguish an incremental build from "crappy product" would suffice. A simple demonstration of a basic appreciation for the craft one wants to critique isn't really asking too much, is it?

Meanwhile it's apparently perfectly OK to qualify negativity as uncalled for, yet understandable.

Criticism isn't fundamentally negative - that's a slant driven by other motives outside the desire to provide genuine critical feedback. Valid criticism shouldn't even be about negativity at all. But that's just me, setting the bar too high, I guess.

maybe that is why infamous demo looked the best, because of there late launch they could afford to spend time on the demo

I'd say there is some truth to what you're saying. Then there are games like Warframe which was put together 3 months prior to E3 and still looks pretty damn good.

orioto

Good Art™

That's so wrong...
If you think random kids who wants a new console in Christmas won't quick look at Forza5 and Drive Club in the store... That's how things work. I've seen that, I was there when people did that with Daytona USA on Saturn and Ridge Racer on PS :)

Not saying that's obvious or that Forza looks really impressive anyway (but it has more eye-candy for now). BUT it's a next gen launch. Look will matter, believe me. It's the contrary. Only rich geeks on boards can buy a 400$ console without giving a shit about how the game looks.

sunnz

You can wait criterion for that.

No thanks.

There games are 100% arcade and just very different to what I mean.

I mean I want an open world racing game with semi realistic physics ( or full) , awesome, large and diverse settings and a tonne of cars.

YES YES, basically a next gen Forza: Horizon but with more cars, better environments less dubstep/ spring break crap and online free roam drive with like hundreds of people.

Think TDU basically but much better and improved.

I got that vibe with DC, until E3...

There games are 100% arcade and just very different to what I mean.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've never enjoyed the aspect of free roaming in racing games. It makes for a fun multiplayer lobby but that's about it for me.

dengatron

The feature set in this game seems pretty interesting for me. I'm terrible at online racing games so being able to contribute without winning works well. The last racing game I did well in was NFSUG2

Top Bottom