• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, what have I done.

857013_10154680459330626_7424550731622929984_o.jpg

You got me this time, Sony.

no. they got you, during the server timeout.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, Rushy was very particular when discussing rubber-banding, making sure to point out that the AI in DriveClub cannot do anything impossible like getting supernatural speed boosts to catch up you like you might find in other games.

That doesn't mean the AI won't play up to the level of competition though. But they are still limited by the car and the need to feed in driving inputs.

Not to mention driving variables change every race because the AI is dynamic and adaptive. I was watching a stream earlier where some idiot claimed there was rubber banding AI because it went from all the cars being spread out, to suddenly clumped together near the end. He completely forgot the fact that just a few seconds prior to that, he span out and and was spread out in the middle of the track, forcing the other cars to brake hard to try to avoid collision and his car, which is why they were clumped together.

People are too quick to jump to conclusions without considering the mass of other variables. Having said that, getting a few seconds more out of a lap when you're chasing someone in-front isn't altogether inaccurate, it's actually a common real world occurrence. I'm sure those who have done any track racing or karting can vouch for that.

Kumubou

Yeah, Rushy was very particular when discussing rubber-banding, making sure to point out that the AI in DriveClub cannot do anything impossible like getting supernatural speed boosts to catch up you like you might find in other games.

That doesn't mean the AI won't play up to the level of competition though. But they are still limited by the car and the need to feed in driving inputs.
So there's still a kind of AI adjustment depending on where they are in the pack, which makes some sense as you would see a behavior adjustment from even real racers when they're behind or ahead. Honestly, the AI reminds me a lot of how Project Gotham handled it's AI drivers -- there was some rubberbanding in that game but if you could beat the fastest AI profile you could smoke everyone, and if you're not good enough you'll never catch up to anyone.

I think what's worse is how aggressive the AI is toward you and no one else. I wouldn't mind the AI driving like that if they were aggressive toward everyone, but sometimes it feels like it's 11 on 1. :x

Kilau

I have never been connected to the servers, you folks that can get on what region are you in?

USA, Florida here.

Dawg

Rack 'em Up, Knock 'em Down
Beat 3 Target Times in a single Time Trial event.

I've done this a couple of times now but the trophy won't unlock :(

it was amusing that when I drove like a grandma and completed the race last by a country mile I got more "fame" points than when I was trying hardest. Because all those points for clean sectors and stuff were worth more than the points for overtaking then hitting a car or track side object.

The rubber band AI probably means you can exploit it a bit: if you drive below your ability but in the pack, then get real aggressive in the last half of the lap you can probably win a tough single player race that is hard to get 1st place driving at 10/10ths from go to end.

That's what I said, bro. They got me. But I'm honestly not concerned about it being offline at the moment. I mean, I can still play the game, right?

yeah but the stuff you earn now will they carry over to your club (when you make one once online is up)? i mean what's the point if not.

Shaneus

Yeah, the "rubberbanding" that was posted I find (personally) is distinctly different from the rubberbanding as it's referred to in relation to Motorstorm and such. Rubberbanding (I thought) referred to the speed of AI and getting boosts and such to make it more difficult to get a lead on them. In this instance, it's closer to a dynamic AI that improves its difficulty the closer you are to the front.

Which I have absolutely no problem with whatsoever. Keeps the game interesting for all involved whilst in single-player.

Anyone have the Thrustmaster T80 Wheel?

I just set mine up for the first time and am having issues. The biggest one being that the brake pedal does not respond at all in the game. Gas pedal works fine.

The second issue is the base of the pedals keeps popping up when I go to press on the brake pedal due to how forcefully I have to press my foot. Is there a way to adjust the physical sensitivity of the brake pedal?

VillageBC

The lighting in this game is annoying. Very good, but very annoying as well. Every track feels like they've deliberately put the lighting so it's constantly glaring in your eyes. Is there some track time setting I'm missing so I can lock it at noon?

Rack 'em Up, Knock 'em Down
Beat 3 Target Times in a single Time Trial event.

I've done this a couple of times now but the trophy won't unlock :(

I believe I unlocked that trophy last night or this morning (had no idea what it was to be honest)

edit #2: I just had to sync my trophies to see it...I got it today

Saberus

That's what I said, bro. They got me. But I'm honestly not concerned about it being offline at the moment. I mean, I can still play the game, right?

Yes, play the game, get points and unlock cars, the first track in drops you in is basic, kind of boring, but it lets you get a custom to the game, after a few events on that track, you can access the other parts of the game.

Anyone have the Thrustmaster T80 Wheel?

I just set mine up for the first time and am having issues. The biggest one being that the brake pedal does not respond at all in the game. Gas pedal works fine.

The second issue is the base of the pedals keeps popping up when I go to press on the brake pedal due to how forcefully I have to press my foot. Is there a way to adjust the physical sensitivity of the brake pedal?

T100 but I had the same problem. Ended up pushing the base up against my coffee table to try and prevent that. Also you can kind of hold it down with your left foot and gas/brake with the right. Feels odd at first but you get used to it

stoic-lemon

Neo Member
The Japanese store seems to work on a completely different set of rules. No pre-loading and no midnight release of the game. It's 9am on release day here and still nothing on the store.

Not to mention driving variables change every race because the AI is dynamic and adaptive
I think you're making it sound more clever than it is.

The AI is pretty simple: observe position of players car. Drive at some percentage of set maximum ability depending on whether players car is first, middle or last. Adjust by another percentage if we're too far ahead of the pack or too far behind the pack.

So the biggest influence on EVERYONE ELSE is YOUR position in the race. That by itself is completely unlike real racing, obviously.

The next biggest influence is not getting anywhere near lapping the other cars, or being lapped, in fact, if there is a pack somewhere it has magnetism. Again this is completely unlike real racing because you generally want to lead or get away from a pack because packs are dangerous, or if you are near someone a bit better, you try to copy them and stick on their tail (while they try to deny you that).

The AI is entirely built around making every player feel like they're not being dominated, or dominating, at least until some minimum lap time is reached.

nikos

Has anyone been able to connect by leaving the game on the main menu? Not sure if it keeps trying from there.

T100 but I had the same problem. Ended up pushing the base up against my coffee table to try and prevent that. Also you can kind of hold it down with your left foot and gas/brake with the right. Feels odd at first but you get used to it

Is your brake pedal significantly harder to press down than your gas pedal?

yurinka

First impressions: Just played my first 2 hours. Servers are down here (Spain). Really fun, love the gameplay, driving is great, visuals and sound feel soo good, AI and difficulty feels great (challenging but accessible, no dumb stuff) but I feel that PS4 still can improve this visually by far. Looking forward for the multiplayer, free DLC and obviously to continue the single player campaign. Servers being down is a big fail, Sony.

Not important, but character and car customization feels poor as of now. The current customization options are ok for me but I want more content (more paint/decals designs, more characters to choose).

NHale

Has anyone been able to connect by leaving the game on the main menu? Not sure if it keeps trying from there.

Both times I managed to connect was in the middle of a race. Maybe just a coincidence.

It still not working 100% because you can't see leaderboards or challenges.

"Sony fails at DRIVECLUB?"
And the video image says "Sony fails?!"

They always do this, look back at their other videos.

Xbox one killing assassins creed unity?
Kickstarter FAILS?
Everyone HATES Destiny?
Will Destiny FAIL?
Steam selling BROKEN GAMES?

They setup a straw man then hit it a bit with a stick while hedging a little too.

nikos

Both times I managed to connect was in the middle of a race. Maybe just a coincidence.

It still not working 100% because you can't see leaderboards or challenges.

Thanks! I have a feeling it only attempts to connect at the start, during, and after events.

aro52

Yeah, when I briefly connected this afternoon, I had it sitting at the main menu on Vita remote play at work. Looked over, and bam, there was my club! [for 5 minutes :/]

EDIT: Evo also said the following in their recent update:
Please be aware that the game will automatically keep trying to connect you.

arit

Boy is the car balance ridiculous. I couldn't even dream placing better than 6th on the Pro Trophy, then grinded a bit and gotthe RUF RT12R and it almost felt like an easy time trial.

Doesn't help that the ai gets all the good ones while one has to drive a piece of crap or grind.

I think you're making it sound more clever than it is.

The AI is pretty simple: observe position of players car. Drive at some percentage of set maximum ability depending on whether players car is first, middle or last. Adjust by another percentage if we're too far ahead of the pack or too far behind the pack.

So the biggest influence on EVERYONE ELSE is YOUR position in the race. That by itself is completely unlike real racing, obviously.

The next biggest influence is not getting anywhere near lapping the other cars, or being lapped, in fact, if there is a pack somewhere it has magnetism. Again this is completely unlike real racing because you generally want to lead or get away from a pack because packs are dangerous, or if you are near someone a bit better, you try to copy them and stick on their tail (while they try to deny you that).

The AI is entirely built around making every player feel like they're not being dominated, or dominating, at least until some minimum lap time is reached.

Explain how you reached to this conclusion?

Eggbok

Really glad I chose this as my first driving game. Been playing it nonstop since I bought it. The little details wow me so much. I was driving beside a car and could see my car in his side mirror; it's so cool lol!

iwrhtsBC1K5f7.png

Really glad to see so many people enjoying this game. Still waiting for the PS+ version to try it myself before I buy because I'm not a huge racing fan, but still good to hear from gaf that the game is better than reviewed.

For people asking about the servers, you don't need to quit and restart the game. I was playing at launch just after midnight, and I'd get randomly disconnected then in the middle of a single player race thr connection would come back. Evo has also stated this. So just let it do its thang

Yeah, the "rubberbanding" that was posted I find (personally) is distinctly different from the rubberbanding as it's referred to in relation to Motorstorm and such. Rubberbanding (I thought) referred to the speed of AI and getting boosts and such to make it more difficult to get a lead on them. In this instance, it's closer to a dynamic AI that improves its difficulty the closer you are to the front.

Which I have absolutely no problem with whatsoever. Keeps the game interesting for all involved whilst in single-player.

I can understand why Evolution implemented such a system, but the result is that players are constantly babied and think they are better than they really are. That will present a vastly different reality than the one players will find online as they are lapped by better drivers. If Evolution's purpose for offline mode is being a preparation for online competition, then this adaptive difficulty system results in a somewhat subpar training ground for that.

nikos

Yeah, when I briefly connected this afternoon, I had it sitting at the main menu on Vita remote play at work. Looked over, and bam, there was my club! [for 5 minutes :/]

EDIT: Evo also said the following in their recent update:

Ah, nice! Maybe I'll let it sit for a bit.

riotous

Banned
THERE IS AI RUBBER BANDING -- of some kind..

It sounds like it's the "non cheating" variety.

More magnetism as you say later than "rubber band;" which to me has always implied at times they make the cars do magical things and go super fast to catch up.

Although yeah generically it's a game that forces you to never be too far ahead or behind.. I think it does it really well I never feel like all of a sudden some car went 300 MPH to catch up to me.

Its at least trying to connect all the time for me. Its just not loading my club stats and stuff ATM. Just staring at the loading icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom