• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

I like the new tracks, but unfortunately they're very short. 01 and 02 can be easily done in less than a minute and 03 in less than 50 seconds. And that's in a "standard" sports car, not a hypercar like the Koenigsegg or the FXX. :/

That's a shame but at least it's a glimpse in to what the engine can handle, wonder if it's a memory constraint or just the planned design of the track. The things they keep throwing at the engine of this game are amazing with constant improvements and neat little touches. Amazed that it still handles a solid 30 with weather turned right up as well.

Karu

This was my one opportunity to get the first worldwide place on any given track! And all it took was a boring car/track-combination that no one would use the first time around. :) :D

Duallusion

I like the new tracks, but unfortunately they're very short. 01 and 02 can be easily done in less than a minute and 03 in less than 50 seconds. And that's in a "standard" sports car, not a hypercar like the Koenigsegg or the FXX. :/

I suspected as much. Creating quality assets for city tracks doesn't come cheap and if the time/cost budget is comparable to other tracks, city ones will probably end up being shorter on average. Just a guess though.

Mabufu

Banned
Sony should have given Evo the funds they need to create full-length city tracks. After all, it's the best racing game ever made.

I think that the biggest grip I have with the track is the fact that the track is really, really wide. I wish it was a little bit more narrow

Yeah I thought the same thing on seeing it, still the narrow tracks can be a complete pain online so I can understand them going this way. I've asked Skillet to try to reproduce the lap in hardcore mode, be interesting to see how much of a handful that Mclaren is :)

Bouniter

Oh wow this looks awesome I should be around by 10pm (gmt) if any one is still around and racing then please drop me an invite.

leng jai

This is literally the game that keeps on giving. I love how there's also a new excuse every few months to revisit the game.

Any hardcore mode impressions?

Here are my impressions: i'm absolutely, utterly terrible at it. XD
It's a great addition for anyone who wanted a more realistic handling model for sure, and at times it seemed like it would be really rewarding once i get the handling down, but for someone who never really dabbled in sim racers, i was completely out of my depth.

One interesting thing i noticed, if you crash into a wall with hardcore handling enabled, it takes several (5 or so) seconds before the car starts accelerating again, even though i'm holding down R2 the entire time. Is that a feature, or is it unintentional? Is it a thing in other sim racers as well, or perhaps it's meant to discourage people from using walls to circumvent the longer braking times?

The new tracks are awesome, but i agree about the length. It's a bit of a shame at least one of them isn't a bit longer, akin to Kobago. Still, i's great that we got 3 variants and a reverse for each, that will keep them fresh longer. I just spent an hour on them in different conditions with cars and bikes and it's an awesome feeling. I never knew i wanted city tracks, but now i already can't wait for the next ones. I love how the engine sounds echo when you're driving through a street with tall buildings on both sides, and a nice attention to detail is how the lights gradually go out in the buildings, if you start out racing in the evening and keep doing laps deep into the night. :)

xrnzaaas

One interesting thing i noticed, if you crash into a wall with hardcore handling enabled, it takes several (5 or so) seconds before the car starts accelerating again, even though i'm holding down R2 the entire time. Is that a feature, or is it unintentional? Is that a thing in other sim racers as well, or is it maybe meant to discourage people from using walls to circumvent the longer braking times?

It's a great feature imo. There's nothing better to discourage folks from hitting walls, especially since you won't be fighting for the leaderboards times in hardcore mode anyway. :) I played hardcore mode for maybe 10 minutes... looks like a nice feature, but I guess I won't be using it since I don't own a steering wheel. :)

Sirenty

Did a real quick hardcore test. I did a handful of laps on the Venom Hot Lap. It says my best is 1:14, and the best I could do in 5 laps was 1:22.7. Getting on the gas and turning actually felt easier, but braking was a hot mess. If you turn in the slightest, the car just skids with very little momentum loss. I could not get any trail braking going at any speed, which felt a bit unrealistic. So it was mostly go fast, brake WAY early and in a straight line, and then take the corner with no brakes and slowly easing on the gas. That was only a handful of laps though, so way early to judge.

I'm not sure if bikes were affected. I tried the Cat lap tour event and actually beat my time by 1.5 seconds (and almost passed Shannow until I messed up one of the final corners :) ). I need to try it again with hardcore off to test. Everything felt mostly the same though I felt I was running slightly wider in some corners.

It's a great feature imo. There's nothing better to discourage folks from hitting walls, especially since you won't be fighting for the leaderboards times in hardcore mode anyway. :) I played hardcore mode for maybe 10 minutes... looks like a nice feature, but I guess I won't be using it since I don't own a steering wheel. :)

Ah, ok. So it's just a collision penalty. I wasn't sure, because there wasn't any pop-up like when you cut a corner or crash into another car. Fair enough. :)

terrible

Banned
Any hardcore mode impressions?

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of arcade racers and I lean more towards sims, as a result I did not like the car physics prior to this patch.

I played for about 30 minutes this morning and I put some laps in with the regular C7 Corvette and the McLaren 650S. It seems like the hardcore mode makes the handling a lot more logical than it used to be. You'll lock your brakes if you aren't careful and you have to ease on the gas when exiting corners. You can catch most slides by countersteering and overall for someone like me it seems like a pretty big improvement in terms of fun factor. Maybe my opinion will change after I put more time into it but that's how I feel about it after ~30 minutes.

Sorry, is the single hardcore mode option actually disable TCS and ABS?

I wish they are optional, like the GT6. I always turn off all assists except ABS (I put it 1).

Ding-Ding

Really liking this update, with hardcore mode being a game changer. Now want to try out every car on this mode.

The new tracks are a nice addition but as others have said they are a little on the short side.

They have some nice little touches to them. At 9pm all the buildings lights are on. At 3am it presumes everyone is in bed and the lights are off.

However, 1.40 for diesel... Jesus

Vaga

Meh not sure I like hardcore mode. All the cars understeer like a mofo and brake like SUVs, much less grip in corners.

ABS is still on as well as traction control. I find stability control the most diminished apart from the brakes making the cars more slidey.

New tracks hmm not sure either. Extremely too short for my taste. But hey free content so it's all good in the end.

Vaga

Also it seems I get a lot more points in drift events in hardcore due to the fact that cars slide a lot easier and for a longer distance while maintaining speed. Managed to steal first place from a cheater this way lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's right, and factor in some de-fragmentation and you'll need a little extra space.

Gotcha!

Will remove a backlog game, and ordering a larger HDD this weekend.

Thanks Rushy! Loving the support. You all are a testament to how a developer should support it's community. Other pubs/devs, take notice.

NewDust

Consider Elite level 35 done... Most weren't that difficult, but that last challenge (fraser valley, kawa) is just designed to fuck with you. That track is rather bumpy... Go a bit to fast, you might get a little air and thus miss steering capabilities or your braking zone. Try to play it safe and due to your lower speed, you'll shift gears just before a bump, resulting in a wheelie, which lowers your acceleration and steering. But I got it.

Now on to try that new track, with a few cars.

kie25

Bummer, seems you can't use photomode in private lobbies to drive the wrong way around AHR/BHR.......Rushy?

Really? I've asked for these tracks in reverse so many times all the race tracks in reverse would add great variety, there must be a technical reason why they can't, it's like the missing variation that could be driven at Japan and chile race tracks and Canada there is a 4th variation missing, I noticed it when game came out and mentioned it. So my thinking is there is a reason why there still missing. Shame as it would add so many new tracks in reverse etc.

Denur

Tried drifting in hardcore mode and yes, now I can drift with a wheel! It makes so much more sense than in 'normal' mode.

Ainsz

My first race on hardcore on the new track. Thought we'd play it safe first off in the mighty Clios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYIev23Sl8

Loving the new update so far, hardcore mode is a lot of fun, so many more cars to try out yet and see the difference. First thing that hits you is the added sense of weight, like a tonne of brick thrown on top of the car.

Great tracks too, real nice layouts, not too short for me personally as there interesting enough. And knocking over peoples wheelie bins is fun.

Shame the photomode penalty setting doesn't seem to work on private lobbies. Tried going backwards on the track and got reset. And staying parked up prompted the warning for getting kicked out for being idle.

5taquitos

My first race on hardcore on the new track. Thought we'd play it safe first off in the mighty Clios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYIev23Sl8

Loving the new update so far, hardcore mode is a lot of fun, so many more cars to try out yet and see the difference. First thing that hits you is the added sense of weight, like a tonne of brick thrown on top of the car.

Great tracks too, real nice layouts, not too short for me personally as there interesting enough. And knocking over peoples wheelie bins is fun.

Shame the photomode penalty setting doesn't seem to work on private lobbies. Tried going backwards on the track and got reset. And staying parked up prompted the warning for getting kicked out for being idle.

Those poor trashcans, what did they ever do to you?

Nyx

Unexpectedly the option to use the photo mode filters during gameplay is the new thing I enjoy most, some of them really make the game look stylish!

The new track is nice too although I also was hoping there would be a p2p one too, maybe next time.

Anyway thanks Rushy and Evolution for another great update!

Top Bottom