• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Didn't Evolution themselves even say that they expected bad reviews?, thats not a good sign really.

This game reminds me of the first MotorStorm. Amazing looking but very little content. The only difference is that MotorStorm wasn't delayed a year.

How's it not a good sign?

They made the game for a community of players they don't see being catered to in the market, it wouldn't be the first time reviewers have scored a game low that grows a fan base.

then, right next to that, you've got your "FESTIVAL ROUTES" right next to it, offering DIRECT access to anything, anywhere. pick a location, and the list of events under that location is there for you to pick with a button.
I didn't find this menu option for a while and it really is very well laid out and couldn't be easier to start up any event from anywhere. At least the events you've already done - haven't tried to use it for untried events - as the only fast travel I believe in is four wheels and a roaring engine.

RetroStu

Banned
How's it not a good sign?

They made the game for a community of players they don't see being catered to in the market, it wouldn't be the first time reviewers have scored a game low that grows a fan base.

When the actual developers are expecting bad reviews, its not a good sign man, no matter how you twist it.

I'm playing a lot this game right now ... I can't still believe this game have a so "low" metacritic. This game is pretty excellent and despite the server issues, I hope will sell a lot.

Agreed. The game isn't perfect and has its faults but in terms of gameplay and everything that supports it the game isn't bellow an 8.

I was reminded of this old Gamasutra article playing the game: A Rational Approach To Racing Game Track Design. Specifically that many of the track designs aren't beginner friendly and geared more towards pushing lateral force and longitudinal forces on the user, add that the game does not appear to have any traditional upscaling of track design and high penalty systems I can understand some peoples criticisms even though I totally disagree and find it makes the game a hell of a lot of fun.

mujun

Meh. To me Driveclub is the most immersive racing experience on the market. I am a racing buff and I have played them all. But no racing game captures the essence of driving a high powered car like Driveclub does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRKy6saQiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9W6rQ0c8g

Check out these 2 videos I made. I am baffled at how anyone can call Driveclub soulless.

How does Driveclub capture the essence more than Gran Turismo? So much attention to detail is put into GT.

You're twisting it. What's it not a good sign of? Do you think the developers believed they'd made a bad game?

He is twisting it. A couple, let me repeat that, a couple of the devs I spoke to said they expected it to not review well. Some allusions were also made to the current vogue of open-world being the current hotness.

A couple of devs does not mean Evo.

Shaneus

He is twisting it. A couple, let me repeat that, a couple of the devs I spoke to said they expected it to not review well. Some allusions were also made to the current vogue of open-world being the current hotness.

A couple of devs does not mean Evo.
It comforts me that with the sort of criteria mainstream "reviewers" typically use to review titles, majority of the sims on the PC would be given a thrashing. Personally, hanging out to see a review from the typical sim sites like TeamVVV, ISR and SimPit. Even though it's not a sim, at least they'll review it for what it is and not what it isn't.

Kayant

So polygon updated their review downgraded to 5

DRIVECLUB REVIEW UPDATE 1

While I was impressed with Driveclub's smart social media-inspired challenges and team-up mechanics, all of these elements have one major requirement: functioning online support. While online servers worked flawlessly with the lighter load prior to launch, they have more or less ceased to function in the disastrous week since the game launched.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/7/6570539/driveclub-review-ps4-playstation-4#entry-top

If you like driving games, ignore the reviews. It's a lot of fun if you're into cars. However, if you can't tell the difference between a camshaft and a rocker arm, this may not be the right game for you. It doesn't have any creature comforts. You have to really be into nailing a perfect lap. There's not a lot of flim-flam like in GT, its all about the driving feel. If you are like that, really want to drive on the edge, then nothing else will do, you need Driveclub. If you like some driver aids, then look elsewhere.

So polygon updated their review downgraded to 5
That's fair. While I love the parts of the game that are working, I couldn't recommend it as a buy without serious disclaimers. Updating the review score is a huge caution flag.

There will be a PS+ version up whenever this crap gets resolved, so people don't quite need reviews to be 100% of the story here.

impact

Banned
Man, I feel so bad for Evo for the reviews this game has gotten :( the game is much better than the reviews leads one to believe.

Meh. They couldn't put out a working product after being granted an extra year to work on the project. I think it's a fun game but they definitely deserve all shit flung in their direction imo. I still can't play this game properly and it's been over a week.

Not sure how I feel about updating reviews. I like it in theory, but then I also feel that they should be clear about it being an ongoing review and not put a score at the bottom until the final review is ready.

It's not an "ongoing review", it's an update to an already finished one. IIRC they kep lowering the review score of SimCity until the online became functional again, in which case they pulled it back up.

The whole concept of updating reviews is to make sure the score reflects the current state of the game. If the game was fine pre-launch and the game isn't now, the score changes until it goes back to its prelaunch state. It's not that the review itself is incomplete, it's that state of the game itself changed.

Anion

Not likely.
Polygon always does this. They increase/decrease review scores accordingly. Once the servers are stable, they will most likely update it.
Its actually one good thing polygon does imo. Keeps the reviews in such a way the consumer knows what they are buying at the time they are buying it.

IISANDERII

Put in a few hours into this game[level 16] and so far not impressed but I am still very much looking forward to unlocking all the cars.

-I wonder if the devs have ever watched a motor race in their life because overtakes rarely happen when cars are accelerating out of corners yet in Drive Club it's the staple.

-The rubber banding is atrocious. Did I get through those corners with great speed and precision? I guess not if the AI is right in my asshole.

-The driving model is ok, I wouldn't call it "physics" but it's not bad.

-the first thing that stood out to me, graphically, was how the tires look awful in relation to the tarmac a lot of the time. Pull out the sideview especially in overcast weather and it looks like horrible. Anyway not a graphic whore so this bothers me very little.

-I don't get the social aspect. I don't like how unlocks are tied to club progression and so far it doesn't seem to make anything better.

I spent a hell of a lot of time criticizing GT6 but god do I miss that game now. GT5 was my most played game last gen and would've loved a GT Lite type of game... But this is not it.
By far my favourite part of GT5/6 was the online multiplayer so if that's good in DC, I could still really like the game.

JLeack

Banned
Didn't Evolution themselves even say that they expected bad reviews?, thats not a good sign really.

This game reminds me of the first MotorStorm. Amazing looking but very little content. The only difference is that MotorStorm wasn't delayed a year.

It's niche, and Evolution knew it. That's not a bad thing, but does limit its audience.

QaaQer

It's niche, and Evolution knew it. That's not a bad thing, but does limit its audience.

We need more well funded 45 person studios making niche games. They are the ones that get to do interesting things because they aren't bound by the focus-group/mock-review homogenization. The two standout things in DC that would never be in an AAA driving game are no rewind 'feature' and having the music off by default.

I really wish we could have gotten to see what Destiny was before the focus-group/mock-review inspired butchery.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Meh. To me Driveclub is the most immersive racing experience on the market. I am a racing buff and I have played them all. But no racing game captures the essence of driving a high powered car like Driveclub does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRKy6saQiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9W6rQ0c8g

Check out these 2 videos I made. I am baffled at how anyone can call Driveclub soulless.

Yeah I agree with you, I can not wee how anyone who really loves cars can call it souless. Every lap is an expirence with environment. Super clean lap at tappaca

How does Driveclub capture the essence more than Gran Turismo? So much attention to detail is put into GT.

I'd say it does and i love GT6, i think playing like 100 hours since last December. GT6 has great attention to detail [and glaring omissions lol], but Driveclub has been on record saying what they measure, like the carbon fiber weave direction and seams, the thin film reflection on lenses. Its all subtle but I've been noticing all those touches. The cockpit view with the vibrations and bumps and glare is really immersive perspective. GT has alot of love put into the menus and car information, race tracks and history, the awesome senna content, but gameplay is where Driveclub sets itself apart imo.

Also I really prefer Driveclubs damage to GT. While neither destroy the car, DC feels like really good medium for being a arcade racer with real cars. Scratches on the wheels is a killer detail IMHO. Furthermore when a car catches some air, Driveclubs physics the car behaves better, flips are way way way better. lol

Top Bottom