• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, cross post from the OT.

nib95 said:

This just further speaks to the ineptitude and ignorance of certain journalists and reviewers. Reading some of the reviews was frustrating, because I've actually been analysing the AI in different gameplay videos for the longest time, and know for a fact that so many of the comments ushered by certain journalists was false.

High speed collisions are sometimes unavoidable, especially when the sense of speed and reaction is as quick and aggressive as it is in Driveclub. But it was amusing hearing certain journalists say crap like this….

Gamespot said:
Your opponents are concerned above all else with the prescribed racing line, regardless of which car they drive, favoring the most aggressive possible speeds down the clearest, most obvious route. This lack of adaptability isn't much of a concern early in your tour, but when the cars get faster and the courses get more labyrinthine.

AI racers tend to clump up around certain curves and ignore the presence of other vehicles, including your own. AI vehicles prefer collisions to deviations from the line,

Giant Bomb said:
If the game's single-minded AI decides to slam into you.

Whilst at the same time they themselves were smashing in to opponent vehicles left and right in their gameplay videos, hands on and reviews. It's as if they expect the AI to behave in an extraordinarily pedestrian and polite way, when they themselves are not even capable of the same, sometimes not even out of intention.

This video is just further insult to injury.

There are 2 kinds of complaints when people use the "corridor racer" term in my point of view, and one of them is justified.

It's not about being confined to the racing track as opposed to an open world racer. Like you said, this is done in most of the greatest racers of all time and it has never been an issue. People complaining about not being able to head in any direction are clearly comparing apples to oranges here.

On the other hand, the problem with Driveclub is that 1) the game sells on you on a massive scale for the environments but in reality you're confined to the track, somewhat braking the illusion of freedom that the environment seems to indicate; 2) the game penalizes you for deviating slightly from the road with invisible walls and penalties; 3) the game starts a 3 second countdown everytime you put one tire off the asphalt, this being the most obnoxious thing in the game imo, cause it actually prevents you from seeing huge crashes and fighting to get back to the road, both of which are standards in racers.

Tl;dr: complaining about not being able to drive through vines is stupid, but being reset on the track everytime you miss a turn is stupider.

No it doesn't. you don't even have to buy the game to criticise but you could at least watch Twitch stream or something.

Not to say that driveclub doesnt have faults but i am dissapointed in a lot of these reviewers. Its like they havent done any analysis on the things they are criticising like the AI for example.

I realised today as I unlocked the Lotus and was playing the Amateur Cup (thrilling to feel the speed increase), that this is the most fun I've had with a PS4 game (not counting Fez, which kind of doesn't count anyway).

And it's not just me compensating for spending money on a lower than expected reviewed game. Because I couldn't get into inFamous or Killzone.

First time I can categorically say that a game has been scored lower than it actually deserves, at least according to my tastes.

So if you are unsure, try the demo whenever it comes out. You may be pleasantly surprised at the discrepancy between the press opinion and how fun the game actually is.

I love this whole star progression system. Makes things addictive, and makes the progression feel like a car version of Mario somewhat :p

Purest 78

After playing the game I can say a review of a 5 out of 10 is just laughable. I'm not saying the game is perfect but it's far from bad.

nib95

Banned
Not to say that driveclub doesnt have faults but i am dissapointed in a lot of these reviewers. Its like they havent done any analysis on the things they are criticising like the AI for example.

So many of the harshest criticisms for this game are just outright ridiculous. More so now I've put a solid amount of time in to it. Complaints about the AI, lack of open world, the menus, it not being sim enough and so on and so on. It's why there's such a massive discrepancy between the majority of gamer impressions of the game compared to so many of these reviews. Don't get me wrong, the game has its flaws, but many aren't the ones some of these journos have been most lambasting it for.

I honestly believe the skill level of some of these journos coupled with the lack of certain typical hand holding racing game measures, such as racing lines, rewind, more forgiving AI, easy difficulty settings etc, hampered the enjoyment of some, resulting in a few looking for things to slate the game for, to justify some of that frustration, and in doing so coming up with certain criticisms and complaints that actually hold little merit.

Increasingly now games are being reviewed for what they aren't, or what journalists want them to be, as oppose to what they actually are, and how well they do it.

So many of the harshest criticisms for this game are just outright ridiculous. More so now I've put a solid amount of time in to it. Complaints about the AI, lack of open world, the menus, it not being sim enough and so on and so on. It's why there's such a massive discrepancy between the majority of gamer impressions of the game compared to so many of these reviews. Don't get me wrong, the game has its flaws, but many aren't the ones some of these journos have been most lambasting it for.

I honestly believe the skill level of some of these journos coupled with the lack of certain typical hand holding racing game measures, such as racing lines, rewind, more forgiving AI, easy difficulty settings etc, hampered the enjoyment of some, resulting in a few looking for things to slate the game for, to justify some of that frustration, and in doing so coming up with certain criticisms and complaints that actually hold little merit.

Increasingly now games are being reviewed for what they aren't, or what journalists want them to be, as oppose to what they actually are, and how well they do it.

I think that last part is spot on. I don't like the tendency of some reviewers to criticize a game for what they think it should be. These games should be reviewed for what they are actually trying to do and be.

I think that last part is spot on. I don't like the tendency of some reviewers to criticize a game for what they think it should be. These games should be reviewed for what they are actually trying to do and be.
Yes. But I'm going to have to accept your word on reviewers because I have'nt read or been to an online gaming website for about 3 years, maybe longer. I tend to get the gist from GAF but I really dislike the majority of game sites since after the ME3 ending debacle and these 'journalists' calling gamers entitled babies. Fuck 'em. Have'nt been to a website since.

The AI debate is garbage. DC, hands down, has the best AI of any console racer I've played. It is fairly obvious that reviewers who criticized the AI are either to accustom to plebeian kart games, or simply lack an understanding for true racing. What quibbles I have had with the AI were most certainly the result of impropper braking or acceleration on my behalf. As I've started to memorize the point to point tracks I've really enjoyed the AI (especially at higher difficulties). The systems are both challenging and fair. The AI analysis video posted by nib, hits the nail on the head.

QuikNez

In my view, most reviewers are right, the game is about a 6-7/10. The reason I say this is that the reviewer has a much broader feel for quality and competing offerings.

I am an ex-360 gamer and I can say hands down that after sinking about 15 hours in DC, it's mediocre (graphics aside). The game brings NOTHING new to the racing genre. Those who haven't had the chance to play games like FORZA, wouldn't have the ability to compare properly. I also think that the racing drought on PS makes those who are classic PS gamers feel DC is better than it is, simply b/c PS hasn't had a decent racing game since GT6 and PS4 has none. For the record, I am a racing junkie and love the GT series.

I like DC, but it's nothing special.

Just my $.02.

Horp

Having a fairly good time with the game. Great graphics (obviously), my kind of racing feel but damn the game is dry. Some kind of intro to championships would be a start. It feels like the whole game is practice mode.
The AI is pretty shite too. I see people here defending it but I've actually went out of my way to see how it behaves and it really is bad. For example, I was going slow on purpose on a really wide road. I went completly straight. An AI came behind me from far behind (I was looking backwards) and just straight rammed into me. Cant remember a modern racing game with worse AI

Keihart

Having a fairly good time with the game. Great graphics (obviously), my kind of racing feel but damn the game is dry. Some kind of intro to championships would be a start. It feels like the whole game is practice mode.
The AI is pretty shite too. I see people here defending it but I've actually went out of my way to see how it behaves and it really is bad. For example, I was going slow on purpose on a really wide road. I went completly straight. An AI came behind me from far behind (I was looking backwards) and just straight rammed into me. Cant remember a modern racing game with worse AI

I'll quote the video again , AI is anything but bad.

Horp

I'll quote the video again , AI is anything but bad.
Saw it. Doesnt change what I've experienced for myself, did you read my post? I really try my best to not smash into other cars because thats simply not something you do in real racing unless its a vad accident. But this AI race like maniacs and smash into each other and me in a way that would never ever happen IRL.

Edit: also, the video shows that in those cases, the AI isnt woefully uber-crap, but it doesnt show its good by any standard.

Blablurn

I'm glad it leaves out all those intros with some guy talking about a certain event. Never cared about that in other games. I just wanna drive.

Loving the game so far.

That video is nothing but a bunch of ridiculous scenarios, none of which mimic what the AI does when you are actually racing along with them in their driving line.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On a side note, cross post from the OT.

It is weird to see some of the comments in the reviews, not mediocre scores (which are unwarranted anyways IMHO), but the unwarranted vitriol on areas which game reviewers should research on to give us s proper educated look at the product.

nib95

Banned
In my view, most reviewers are right, the game is about a 6-7/10. The reason I say this is that the reviewer has a much broader feel for quality and competing offerings.

I am an ex-360 gamer and I can say hands down that after sinking about 15 hours in DC, it's mediocre (graphics aside). The game brings NOTHING new to the racing genre. Those who haven't had the chance to play games like FORZA, wouldn't have the ability to compare properly. I also think that the racing drought on PS makes those who are classic PS gamers feel DC is better than it is, simply b/c PS hasn't had a decent racing game since GT6 and PS4 has none. For the record, I am a racing junkie and love the GT series.

I like DC, but it's nothing special.

Just my $.02.

This post is hilarious.

- Go with a review average that is less than the consensus - Check
- Claim the quality is inferior by means of competitor reference - Check
- Mention you're an ex Microsoft centric gamer - Well that's one way to do it.
- Claim the game is mediocre without any such further elaboration - Check
- Use the old, it's not innovative therefore it's average reasoning - Check
- Bring up Forza as a superior point of reference - Check

That's some choice cents!

QuikNez

What are the ways in which the competition is innovating?

- better online features (car clubs, sharing of liveries, setups and telemetry, building an actual online car culture, sharing and trading cars)
- as much as a lot of people dislike drivitar AI, it's innovative and having played FH2 recently, seeing proper AI that mimics your friends is impressive and enhances immersion
- customization - I'm a gear head, I want to tune and balance - at the core of it, it's all about customizing

Part of the reason GT has been surpassed by FORZA is that polyphony chose to stay static while turn 10 saw the value of being more progressive and, I'm my opinion, is now the benchmark.

Horp

This post is hilarious.

Nice, instead of using arguments you just list your own, extremely biased, interpretation of his post. Good contribution to the thread.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
- better online features (car clubs, sharing of liveries, setups and telemetry, building an actual online car culture, sharing and trading cars)
- as much as a lot of people dislike drivitar AI, it's innovative and having played FH2 recently, seeing proper AI that mimics your friends is impressive and enhances immersion
- customization - I'm a gear head, I want to tune and balance - at the core of it, it's all about customizing

Part of the reason GT has been surpassed by FORZA is that polyphony chose to stay static while turn 10 saw the value of being more progressive and, I'm my opinion, is now the benchmark.

OK, but many of these features don't apply to this game. It has its own social systems that will (hopefully) be working soon. I wouldn't penalize this game for not allowing you to share setups and telemetries. It's an arcade racer. It would be unfair for someone to punish this game for not having red shells.

Drivatar is a pretty controversial feature. I'm not sure I value innovation for innovation's sake. I care a lot more about track design.

QuikNez

This post is hilarious.

Yes my baseline is FORZA and yes it is my opinion - which I have further substantiated in my follow posts - given that you are enlightened, why don't you impart to GAF why DC is worthy of anything more than the critic average?

nib95

Banned

1. Driveclub features car clubs, club levelling up, unlocks and progression. It also features social challenges, sharing of club liveries etc.

2. Great AI is great AI, whether it's based off of countless hours of professional drivers and developers, or your friends. Frankly, the AI copying that of ordinary gamers is a somewhat troublesome thought.

3. Customisation is indeed one area Driveclub is lacking, but that isn't it's focus. It's about bringing quick, no frills, no nonsense racing, where everyone is at an equal footing, and where people don't have to worry about the advantages held by those with better tweaking or tuning knowledge.

Late Flag

- I'm fairly confident that Driveclub features car clubs. Or at least it will when the servers are working.

- I've never played a game with Drivatars, so I'll grant you that one.

- Driveclub isn't about customization. You're blaming Evolution for making a different style of game than what you would have preferred. I would rather have had another Motorstorm, but I'm not going to criticize DC for not having shortcuts or mudpluggers.

madmackem

Its not going for the sim crowd its not going for tune setups its a pick up and play arcade racer, driveatar drives nothing like my firends at all. You can share a club liveries, So you want forza this isnt forza 5 so its a bad game?.

Keihart

Saw it. Doesnt change what I've experienced for myself, did you read my post? I really try my best to not smash into other cars because thats simply not something you do in real racing unless its a vad accident. But this AI race like maniacs and smash into each other and me in a way that would never ever happen IRL.

Edit: also, the video shows that in those cases, the AI isnt woefully uber-crap, but it doesnt show its good by any standard.

In my experience , yes the ai it's not super polite, they won't crush on you on purpose but rather alaways try to win positions, so if you slow dow suddenly or take a corner too slow, bad luck for you they'll ram in to you if necessary, also one great thing about AI it's that they all don't follow the same line, they don't make imposible brakes and they compete with each other , even crushing sometimes,

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

This. And it needs to stop.

Horp

In my experience , yes the ai it's not super polite, they won't crush on you on purpose but rather alaways try to win positions, so if you slow dow suddenly or take a corner too slow, bad luck for you they'll ram in to you if necessary, also one great thing about AI it's that they all don't follow the same line, they don't make imposible brakes and they compete with each other , even crushing sometimes,
And thats the problem. When you want to win a position you do it with a planned attack, for example by tricking you opponent to block the left and then going for the right. Never seen DC's AI do anyting even close to that.
You dont just ram other cars if they go slow! If they go really slow, passing them is really easy, if they go almost as fast as you; tactics are required.
Edit: sorry for spelling errors, im on a stupid, small phone :p

Edit2:
And if ramming is actually a part of the game (as part of the arcade-y experience) then the penalties for ramming should be removed and ramming should be encouraged. Would be a worse game of course, but the game as it is needs a better AI to be more than a average-to-good experience.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's not going to stop until gamers pay equal or more attention to the reviews that score games well. These days low score, few dumb comments = lots of clicks..and sadly it works.

Yes, I know you're right and it's depressing. It's not that I think Driveclub should have scored 10s across the board but from what I've watched on Youtube and Twitch, and from what I've read in the official Driveclub thread, 8s and 9s seem more accurate, with the occasional 10. I've never seen a spit between reviewers and gamers this stark before. Is it because it's a Sony product? I'm going to wait for future games and future criticism to decide that.

Frankly I think there's been a little too much 'innovation' in the racing genre. So much so they started evolving into something barely resembling racing games. (e.g. NFS: Rivals) There are plenty of games with a hook, and they didn't fare much better than DC on the review scale anyway. But thankfully Evolution made DC for racing game fans, not the reviewers.

I realised today as I unlocked the Lotus and was playing the Amateur Cup (thrilling to feel the speed increase), that this is the most fun I've had with a PS4 game (not counting Fez, which kind of doesn't count anyway).

And it's not just me compensating for spending money on a lower than expected reviewed game. Because I couldn't get into inFamous or Killzone.

First time I can categorically say that a game has been scored lower than it actually deserves, at least according to my tastes.

So if you are unsure, try the demo whenever it comes out. You may be pleasantly surprised at the discrepancy between the press opinion and how fun the game actually is.

I love this whole star progression system. Makes things addictive, and makes the progression feel like a car version of Mario somewhat :p

I completely agree, bolded for emphasis! I actually intended to login today to tell people to at least play with the Lotus car before judging this game. The race was actually heart pounding. Pure adrenaline. I loved it!

The AI feels right too. It's aggressive in the sense they want to win the race, not sabotage you. This is the most fun I've had with a racing game in a long time.

I have a feeling the demo version will convert a lot of people into buying this.

Keihart

And thats the problem. When you want to win a position you do it with a planned attack, for example by tricking you opponent to block the left and then going for the right. Never seen DC's AI do anyting even close to that.
You dont just ram other cars if they go slow! If they go really slow, passing them is really easy, if they go almost as fast as you; tactics are required.
Edit: sorry for spelling errors, im on a stupid, small phone :p

Edit2:
And if ramming is actually a part of the game (as part of the arcade-y experience) then the penalties for ramming should be removed and ramming should be encouraged. Would be a worse game of course, but the game as it is needs a better AI to be more than a average-to-good experience.

What i meant it's that they'll drive triying to win, so if you suddenly make unespected changes, i.e. slowing down on a corner too much or suddenly breaking will make them ram in to you sometimes, that coupled with the fact that they can't brake more than you, so sometimes even if they try to adapt they fuck up, an AI that makes mistakes it's better than a perfect one in this case, i think so at least.

I find the penalties to be necesary tho, it's one of the few things keeping it kind of civil even when there are crushes.

Horp

What i meant it's that they'll drive triying to win, so if you suddenly make unespected changes, i.e. slowing down on a corner too much or suddenly breaking will make them ram in to you sometimes, that coupled with the fact that they can't brake more than you, so sometimes even if they try to adapt they fuck up, an AI that makes mistakes it's better than a perfect one in this case, i think so at least.

I find the penaltys to be necesary tho, it's one of the few things keeping it kind of civil even when there are crushes.

If it was just that, people wouldn't complain. But it's not just that. They are extremely reckless in a way that almost ruins the game for me. That's what I and many, many others have experienced. And no 7 minute video of out of context AI ABC-tests will make that go away. They didn't do a good job with the AI in my opinion, and many others opinions too.

Keihart

If it was just that, people wouldn't complain. But it's not just that. They are extremely reckless in a way that almost ruins the game for me. That's what I and many, many others have experienced. And no 7 minute video of out of context AI ABC-tests will make that go away. They didn't do a good job with the AI; in my opinion and many others opinions too.

When i'm driving well they hardly ram in to me , most times when it happens it's my fault, making innecesary drifts or slowing to much while having somebody righ behind me. I would say most players are not even aware of the cars behind them while braking, wich can make you think it's their fault sometimes whe it's not.

v0yce

If it was just that, people wouldn't complain. But it's not just that. They are extremely reckless in a way that almost ruins the game for me. That's what I and many, many others have experienced. And no 7 minute video of out of context AI ABC-tests will make that go away. They didn't do a good job with the AI in my opinion, and many others opinions too.

I think if you and others got better at the game a lot of your at complaints would go away. I only ever get smashed into when I take turns poorly. And I experience exactly what you describe about the ai feinting to one direction and passing you on the other when I try to block.

Horp

I think if you and others got better at the game a lot of your at complaints would go away. I only ever get smashed into when I take turns poorly. And I experience exactly what you describe about the ai feinting to one direction and passing you on the other when I try to block.

What the heck? I've played racing games all my life. I've played all GTs (except GT5), multiple Forza-games, and NFS games, and I haven't encountered this kind of AI before. I win the games in DC without a problem, just that sometimes i have to restart games because of the maniac-AI smashing into me in the end of a race in a way that just shouldn't happen.

Rodelero

What the heck? I've played racing games all my life. I've played all GTs (except GT5), multiple Forza-games, and NFS games, and I haven't encountered this kind of AI before. I win the games in DC without a problem, just that sometimes i have to restart games because of the maniac-AI smashing into me in the end of a race in a way that just shouldn't happen.

But then, to a large extent, the AI in those games is extremely passive. You almost always end up working your way from the back, overtaking one car after another that doesn't really make it hard for you to overtake, and then not having to worry about them coming back at you unless you plough yourself into a wall.

Horp

Having played the same games as you, I'd say that to a large extent, the fact the AI doesn't touch you much is because it doesn't really compete with you a great deal. They're easy to pass, and very rarely try and pass you back unless you make an enormous error.

So our experiences differ. Or at least how we describe our experiences. The thing is, I'm not alone on this. If nothing else, several reviews complain a lot on the AI for exactly this.

Edit:
Which means that there's at least something. Some people might think it's fine, but something is up with the AI for sure.

Frankly I think there's been a little too much 'innovation' in the racing genre. So much so they started evolving into something barely resembling racing games. (e.g. NFS: Rivals) There are plenty of games with a hook, and they didn't fare much better than DC on the review scale anyway. But thankfully Evolution made DC for racing game fans, not the reviewers.

The so called "innovation" on many of the games detract from what the game is actually about. Racing. Much of what people call innovation happened back in the early 00's and some in the 90's so most of what people call innovation now is just as played out as what they are arguing against.

I will give Turn 10 the recognition with Drivitars even though from the small time I have raced against them I wasn't that impressed, it is an actual innovation in the approach to AI and with more development could become fantastic. Whether that is a positive and adds to the experience is a different matter entirely. Evolutions approach to lighting and weather is just as innovative and I personally find to be fantastic and adds so much excitement to a race or time trial that demands you be aware.

For me Driveclub even without the servers is the most refreshing driving game since GT, Midnight Club, F-Zero-X, Wipeout, and Forza 3.

I was watching my flatmate play the game today though and it started to dawn on me why people make the complaints they have been about the game, he was moaning that the AI was too aggressive when it was clearly him cutting up the AI. I never play racing games with the HUD and he was complaining that he didn't know where to go and that the penalty for cutting corners because of this was too harsh. Also that it was too fast in certain cars. I sat down pointed out how to look through corners, how to judge a racing line, how to judge brake zones, how to use the environment design to tell where the track is going, how to use throttle control and to look at the mirrors as well as the what is in front of him and it eventually all clicked for him.

Top Bottom