• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR gameplay.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The team continued our work on DCVR whilst at Codemasters. The focus has been on our new racing IP during the past few months, but DCVR has been ongoing up until very recently.

Our future plans are now are 100% on our new game.
Looking forward to seeing that new game, Rushy!
Maybe throw in a VR mode too while you guys are at it. Would be amazing. ;)

desu

The team continued our work on DCVR whilst at Codemasters. The focus has been on our new racing IP during the past few months, but DCVR has been ongoing up until very recently.

Wow, that is fantastic. Really cool from Codemasters that allowed this to happen.

Wollan

Eurogamer posted their hands-on impressions. Sounds like a must-get: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-driveclub-vr

On the face of it, a racing game on PlayStation VR shouldn't stand a chance against a high-powered PC coupled with Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, but after playing DriveClub VR at Gamescom this week, our viewpoint has shifted. Simply put - this is the most immersive racing game we've played in VR to date. From Assetto Corsa to Dirt Rally all the way to Project Cars, it's clear that the gorgeous visual design of the original DriveClub allows the game to stand above its more technically demanding peers. It's a classic case of software design triumphing over hardware.

The weight of the car and the way this is communicated within the game gives it a feeling that genuinely took me by surprise. It feels supremely natural and really gives the impression that you're sitting in a car. I've spent a lot of time with some of the best PC VR racers and the virtual cockpit always felt 'off', a driving 'uncanny valley' of sorts, in a way that DriveClub does not.

Ooohh, I hope the new game is Motorstormy ;)

Thanks for the free tracks!

N30RYU

Ok... they sold me a Driveclub VR...

Now GAF sell me a force feedback wheel (not quite expensive please) for PS4

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sadly I don't have a wheel, and I don't like to play in cockpit view.

So DC:VR is no use for me...
I never play in cockpit view with normal racing games but in VR? It feels amazing. On a TV it just feels like your viewpoint of the track is limited whereas the scale in VR gives you the impression of being inside a car.

DCVR does have third person views and a bumper cam, though, which feel pretty awesome too.

wapplew

I never play in cockpit view with normal racing games but in VR? It feels amazing. On a TV it just feels like your viewpoint of the track is limited whereas the scale in VR gives you the impression of being inside a car.

DCVR does have third person views and a bumper cam, though, which feel pretty awesome too.

Don't know about that until now. That's awesome!

meppi

So have you gone from "no interest in VR at all" to being interested? lol

Also, you can calm down about the new tracks since they are coming to vanilla Driveclub for free.

Nah, VR is still something I'm not going for. Rez is playable on a normal screen so I have no incentive to go for it.
But after all the talk about how the game would have to be downgraded to get to the requited fps, this looks damn good.

Never expected a free update for these tracks in the original, so yeah, I'm very happy with it. Had no idea this was happening.

Great write up! You didn't happen to crash did you? Curious to know how crashes will be handled in VR.

DavidDesu

Sadly I don't have a wheel, and I don't like to play in cockpit view.

So DC:VR is no use for me...

Do you drive a car in real life? Imagine doing that with supercars on stunning tracks around the world. On your PS4, at home. Dash cam is sort of an entirely different thing when you're IN the car like you would be in real life. Try out VR if you get a chance to.

Killer app indeed, will GT Sports also support VR?

They initially said it would, but there hasn't been any updates on that for a very long time as far as I can recall. VR support isn't mentioned on the PS Store pages for the game either.

Perhaps it's still coming, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came some time after launch.

wapplew

They initially said it would, but there hasn't been any updates on that for a very long time as far as I can recall. VR support isn't mentioned on the PS Store pages for the game either.

Perhaps it's still coming, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came some time after launch.

Or become a standalone game.

Great to see DC VR get finished, its looking awesome, day one buy.

Looking forward to the new IP too, really hoping for something similar to MotorStorm but I'm sure it will be great whatever it is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Great write up! You didn't happen to crash did you? Curious to know how crashes will be handled in VR.
Ha, I actually did try crashing once and, yeah, there is kind of a lurching sensation in your stomach when that happens. Nothing too severe but you do feel it, which I thought was kind of cool in this instance. Might be worse in third person or bumper cam mode, though.

At least the bumper cam includes a small wire-frame model of the front of the car floating just in front of your view. It helps give your brain something to anchor to which ultimately aids in the prevention of motion sickness.

shaneskim

Awesome. Really looking forward to the new project.

Sebmugi

strongly the release of new circuits for normal Driveclub !!! <3

just some fresh screens

1471788058-driveclub-tm-20160821155758.png
1471788230-driveclub-tm-20160821152912.png

1471788153-driveclub-tm-20160821151931.png
1471788099-driveclub-tm-20160821154921.png

Sebmugi

Wow, what are these locations? Driveclub really is the GOTG for me. So glad, Evolution seems to have survived

this is India and Norway;) I also think that DC is a masterpiece <3
I'm thrilled that the team continue to work on VR version and is now on another project !!!

fbutron

Incredible, sold on PSVR bad thing is still not yet announced for Mexico &#128546;&#128546; will make plans for US trip in november hoping to find 1 PSVR...

Waiting also to see GT implementation on VR

Ha, I actually did try crashing once and, yeah, there is kind of a lurching sensation in your stomach when that happens. Nothing too severe but you do feel it, which I thought was kind of cool in this instance. Might be worse in third person or bumper cam mode, though.

At least the bumper cam includes a small wire-frame model of the front of the car floating just in front of your view. It helps give your brain something to anchor to which ultimately aids in the prevention of motion sickness.

Ah that's interesting about bumper cam as that's what I currently use and didn't expect them to support alternative camera positions. I'm hoping the in car view will be the way I play it though, just can't use it on TV as it feels to restricted.

Are those screens from the VR version? I thought they'd had to cut all the weather effects.

This is the game that would have sold me on getting a PSVR, but after trying it out twice at Best Buy, I can't get over how bad the quality of the screen is. Going from a crystal clean 1080p 55" OLED tv to the PSVR's somewhat blurry, pixelated text, poor looking resolution screen really seems like a step backwards and sucks you out of the illusion of vr.

Kyolux

This is the game that would have sold me on getting a PSVR, but after trying it out twice at Best Buy, I can't get over how bad the quality of the screen is. Going from a crystal clean 1080p 55" OLED tv to the PSVR's somewhat blurry, pixelated text, poor looking resolution screen really seems like a step backwards and sucks you out of the illusion of vr.

Sucks that you had such a poor experience. Seems like it was misadjusted or not clean well enough? There is a downgrade going from tv to headset.. but nothing as bad as what you make it sound.

Sucks that you had such a poor experience. Seems like it was misadjusted or not clean well enough? There is a downgrade going from tv to headset.. but nothing as bad as what you make it sound.

It was clean and adjusted correctly. The screen quality is just not that good. And to say the downgrade from tv to headset is only minimal is just not true. The whole time I was demoing it, I kept thinking this would be amazing if the screen was sharper/had better resolution.

kyser73

It was clean and adjusted correctly. The screen quality is just not that good. And to say the downgrade from tv to headset is only minimal is just not true. The whole time I was demoing it, I kept thinking this would be amazing if the screen was sharper/had better resolution.

Not going to happen until the next generation of headsets & the inclusion of Foveated rendering to enable multiple resolution display techniques to save on computing power.

The text thing is a bad design choice though - IIRC Carmack mentioned that there needs to be work done on creating VR friendly fonts as its a common problem.

I think what it comes down to it, if you're hugely into IQ you're not using a headset for at least one, possible two more generations of display. To get a VR HMD to the clarity you expect will take a 16k screen.

Amagon

Is there a recommendation for good steering wheel and or setups. Definitely would like to get something going when this game comes out.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there a recommendation for good steering wheel and or setups. Definitely would like to get something going when this game comes out.

entry wheel - T150
good wheel - T150 with better paddles
great wheel - T300
best wheel - T300 with better paddles

Saganator

Looking forward to seeing that new game, Rushy!
Maybe throw in a VR mode too while you guys are at it. Would be amazing. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Codemasters let it happen for the learning experience alone. Now they can take what they learned in Driveclub and expand upon on it for whatever game they're working on now.

entry wheel - T150
good wheel - T150 with better paddles
great wheel - T300
best wheel - T300 with better paddles
Where does the T500Rs fit into this?

Also I highly recommend a Playseat Evolution racing chair. It's expensive but you get what you pay for. It's comfortable and easily adjusted for different people.

Not going to happen until the next generation of headsets & the inclusion of Foveated rendering to enable multiple resolution display techniques to save on computing power.

The text thing is a bad design choice though - IIRC Carmack mentioned that there needs to be work done on creating VR friendly fonts as its a common problem.

I think what it comes down to it, if you're hugely into IQ you're not using a headset for at least one, possible two more generations of display. To get a VR HMD to the clarity you expect will take a 16k screen.

I had a similar experience, and I really don't feel like I'm hugely into IQ, but I still thought it was really jarring how much the downgrade was. I was really surprised at the quality and I've used an Oculus DK2 several times and felt it was worse than that.

That is amazing Rushy huge fan of Driveclub and your catalogue , cannot wait for DCVR

Top Bottom