• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub's microtransactions explained, can pay to unlock cars early

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
If there is only 50 cars I would assume they must take a while to unlock each one. At least the micro-transactions are not consumables.

Gaz_RB

Because this is not the world we live in. EA established this for racing games years ago.

I mean look NFS Most Wanted 2012 had all cars (except the Most Wanted list cars which you had to beat) unlocked from the start. You just had to drive around the city, find a car and drive it.

Even in that game they sold a time saver pack which just gave you all the spots on the map, the cars were already unlocked. Such a smart bunch the folks at EA.

You're right, and it's sad.

Except that there never has been a game where it takes 100 hours to unlock said car and there probably never will be a game like this.

Especially with Driveclub only offering 50 cars it will probably take a couple hours tops just like in every NFS title.

As I said earlier that was some shady shit though because the game was designed in a way that all cars were already unlocked from the start, you just had to find them. All the time saver pack did was to show you the cars on your map.

I do hope you are right in that it doesn't take copious amounts of time to unlock cars but then why offer the shortcut if the grind is so short anyway?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Not quite the same as Forza. As I understand it in Forza you could pay real money for a car, but you still wouldn't be able to use the car until you spent in game credits(which you can also pay real money for) to unlock it?

That's what I've gathered anyway, if I'm wrong I apologize.

Not quite. You spend real money to get tokens which you then use to purchase the cars you want. The bad part is how many tokens some of these cars require, that translates into a hefty hit on your wallet when buying tokens.

Reallink

Welp I'm out. After suffering through 30 or 40 hours of Forza 5 with 10 cars to show for it, I'm not playing any racing games that employ systems like this.

Gestault

Whether it's by choice or the situation his role in development has put him in because of the policies in play, I simply don't trust Rushy anymore. This is still a game I'm interested in, but jeez are they trying to put me off from every element of it.

For clarity, this is a further reaction to my thoughts in my earlier post about Rushy and Sony having made specific claims to the contrary re: micro-transactions to garner community affection, and now announcing the opposite. If anyone wants to make the point that this wasn't deliberately misleading through some technicality of the language, I'll point you to the reactions both on Neogaf, news outlets and Twitter to the announcement, and that the effect (and lack of clarification on their part if it wasn't the case) is indistinguishable from deliberate misleading.

If an explanation of the superficial distinction between DLC consumables in the form of game currency "consumed" to purchase a car already in the game, and paying money to unlock a car already in the game is necessary, I don't know that I'll be able to take that retort seriously.

Eh, as long as it doesn't affect the game in any noticeable way (hah!), then it shouldn't really be a problem. People can buy cars if they want, I just won't be one of them.

Do we have any idea on the kinds of prices?
I do hope you are right in that it doesn't take copious amounts of time to unlock cars but then why offer the shortcut if the grind is so short anyway?

There are probably enough impatient people with money to burn that would buy them. It's an easy way for the devs to make money.

You are wrong.
OK that's cool. If you don't mind can you please explain to me how it worked in Forza 5?
Not quite. You spend real money to get tokens which you then use to purchase the cars you want. The bad part is how many tokens some of these cars require, that translates into a hefty hit on your wallet when buying tokens.
OK, just to clarify I was mainly referring to the cars you could purchase via DLC. I remember reading somewhere that you still need to use game credits to unlock the car for use in game. Guess I was mistaken?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Soo besides the microtransactions for cars and the ps+ thing, anything about how much car customizing items, skins and tracks will cost after the initial 50 to 60 bucks?

This game man.

How is this unfair for people unwilling to pay? you can unlock everything without paying.

This is for people who don't want to spend the time grinding or don't have the time, that's unfair because people have lives? Why does it matter if i spend $20-50 to unlock everything? Does that somehow ruin your experience with the game?
So are you implying that everyone who don't like microtransactions in $60 games don't have lives? And you're the cool guy?

One more game I am not buying because of micro transaction, i don't care how optional they are they are still there.

It's not consumable, man.

It's basically a dlc to unlock stuff that is already in the game that you have others means to unlock.

I actually have no problem with this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't have any intentions of spending all my time racing to unlock every car. Not sure if I'm going to pay for any of it either.

Loudninja

How fame works.
In DRIVECLUB every action you perform, whether that’s drifting in style, reaching insane top speeds or drafting an opponent to set up an overtake, you earn FAME.

When you earn enough fame you level up and when you do you unlock new cars to race with! The same goes for you club. When your club reaches specific levels you’ll earn new cars, which everyone in the club gets immediate access to. It’s a simple and focussed approach that allows everyone to help each other to earn more and play more.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/04/30/driveclub-update-evolution-studios-2/

Lima

Because there are people out there that buy it and it doesn't cost them any money to offer this option because it doesn't take any additional development time (like a separate arcade mode would do).

I've played every NFS and it has never been an issue. You play through the career and unlock everything in a timely manner. And EA are without a doubt the worst when it comes to this stuff.

I hear what you are saying about the online part but in reality the person playing the game normally plays the career first to unlock all the cars and get familiar with the game and then hops online.

9SIGkwL.png

Reallink

I didn't play forza 5 but please tell me you are kidding.

Unfortunately I'm not. I laid out the math in a previous post based on how much you make per level and race over x# of hours. If you play through the main class circuits with a few side circuits (which is what I did, and how most people would approach the game), you can only buy a handful of cars as the last couple classes require million credit cars (which are 10 or 15 hours of play each).

Man, remember how cool it was back in the day to have cheat codes to unlock everything at the start of the game. Those were the days...

/yellsatclouds.

Of course nobody really brings that up to devs. "What happened to cheat codes? Why are they paid DLC now?"

Listonosh

I have a question for all those who said they don't mind the issue here. Ubisoft announced it would have Microtransactions for The Crew and iirc every single reply on that post there was negative, such as they won't be buying it anymore, fuck Ubisoft, etc. Why is it that in Driveclub's case, it's acceptable?

Lima

I didn't play forza 5 but please tell me you are kidding.

He is exaggerating. It was kinda bad when the game launched though. They listened and changed a lot of stuff.

OK that's cool. If you don't mind can you please explain to me how it worked in Forza 5?

OK, just to clarify I was mainly referring to the cars you could purchase via DLC. I remember reading somewhere that you still need to use game credits to unlock the car for use in game. Guess I was mistaken?

You pay for tokens and buy cars with them. That car goes to your garage. If you buy a DLC pack, cars from said pack are marked FREE when you go to purchase cars.

I have a question for all those who said they don't mind the issue here. Ubisoft announced it would have Microtransactions for The Crew and iirc every single reply on that post there was negative, such as they won't be buying it anymore, fuck Ubisoft, etc. Why is it that in Driveclub's case, it's acceptable?

Because DC looks very shiny and gave us many delicious gifs

/s

Santiako

e68a107bfebc29e82b84afdfa7c49266.jpg

?

MilesTeg

Banned

Those were performance based microtransactions. Big difference. Also the game is always online so that doesn't help it's image.

At a functional level, there's no real difference between consumables and early content unlock if all you care about is purchasing the content ( cars/tracks ) and nothing else.

At that level, it's definitely a bit disingenuous.

Performance-based microtransactions like xp boosters and what-not are complete garbage though.

Doesn't sound that bad at all really. But the era of cheat codes are long gone which is a bummer. But hey people don't mind paying for this shit, season pases, crazy dlc prices, etc. Can't point the finger at them anymore.

Pimpwerx

So...this is the new normal for racing games? I get nightmares of Real Racing's impossible grinding for cars. There's definitely room for abuse. I don't like it, but I might have to accept the fact that my racing games will hit me up for cash more than PBS. PEACE.

Lima

Because they are not the same people maybe?

God, I'm just not feeling this game...

Played it at PAX East last year and just felt like another racer, albeit a gorgeous one. Granted, that's without experiencing the social components of the game which appear to be a major focus.

Still, I wish they had gone with Motorstorm 4.

So...this is the new normal for racing games? I get nightmares of Real Racing's impossible grinding for cars. There's definitely room for abuse. I don't like it, but I might have to accept the fact that my racing games will hit me up for cash more than PBS. PEACE.
Time saving DLC has been around in many genres for years now, they just didn't post about it online so people turned a blind eye.

Servbot24

Banned

Sounds like they were being over-reactionary twats.

I hate microtransactions in full priced games. I can't believe people defend this crap. They would make you buy gasoline if they thought they would get away with it. (I think EA actually did this in iRacing 3)

Loudninja

Top Bottom