• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 Light Bars - turn them off, please

taoofjord

I really like the light bar but I think every game should allow you the ability to turn it off in the game's options menu. I don't necessarily think it should be an OS-level thing for the users since it's probably worth seeing how a game utilizes it before deciding if you want it on or off.

Blacklight has a muzzle flash pulse when you shoot that I thought was neat. I didn't play the game long enough to decide if I'd like it in other games but it was certainly an interesting addition. (Also: Blacklight kinda stinks).

LCfiner

I got a PS4 yesterday and that light bar can get pretty damn bright. I have a TV screen that's fairly high off the ground so I don't see the LED when I hold the controller normally. But it does reflect slightly off the bezel of the TV. If the TV was on a regular table, I'd see the reflection in the screen all the time.

As it is, it just lights up my crotch like a Christmas tree....... ladies

Considering the very low utility of the LED (in NFS, it's red when you're a racer and blue when you're a cop. hoo boy), I really hope they allow us to disable it soon.

Zincalloy

Banned
I think this is a bit ridiculous.
The lightbar never even shines near my TV. I play on my couch or on my bed and it never nears my TV to reflect off of it. I have a Sony XBR 929 and it's just 1 big piece of Gorilla Glass.
Also, the battery life bothers people? Seriously?
I plug in my controller at night, play all day. Plug it in before end of the night. AND if it happens to die while I'm on a gameathon, I just grab my 2nd fully charged controller that was charging in the meanwhile. What is the big deal? I think the light looks awesome too, especially when it's changing like in Killzone.

Exile20

High quality Bluetooth audio routing.

But the Wii U gamepad can last 5 hrs and it has a screen and it streams audio. That is some high quality audio there.

Looked up the DS3 and it lasted 20-30 hrs.

I wonder about the X1.

Edit: Seems the X1 last "AA batteries on an Xbox One controller "will usually last about 40 hours,"

"The rechargeable battery pack included in the official Xbox One Play & Charge Kit "lasts about 30 hours" on a three-hour charge"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
And they think it should play the following:

PS1 games
PS2
PS3
GC
Wii
Xbox OG
Xbox 360
Dreamcast

and let's not forget, people think it should come with a cartridge slot that plays the following!:

NES
SNES
N64
Atari
Gameboy
Sega Master Syatem
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Sega CD

But guess what? We will never get all that stuff. Just be happy Sony didn't make a Virtual Boy clone with 3D 1080p graphics! I have literally never seen this much bitching over one SMALL feature on a console. Goddamn.

did you really compare being able to turn off a light in the controller to being able to play every single game from every console regardless of competitor

is that thing that really happened here

Oppo

But the Wii U gamepad can last 5 hrs and it has a screen and it streams audio. That is some high quality audio there.

Right, but the Wii U gamepad battery is physically huge, and the DS4 does last 8-10 hours in my experience.

taoofjord

I think this is a bit ridiculous.
The lightbar never even shines near my TV. I play on my couch or on my bed and it never nears my TV to reflect off of it. I have a Sony XBR 929 and it's just 1 big piece of Gorilla Glass.
Also, the battery life bothers people? Seriously?
I plug in my controller at night, play all day. Plug it in before end of the night. AND if it happens to die while I'm on a gameathon, I just grab my 2nd fully charged controller that was charging in the meanwhile. What is the big deal? I think the light looks awesome too, especially when it's changing like in Killzone.

The battery life isn't as good as it should be. It's not a deal breaker, and the numerous pros of the DS4 certainly outweigh this one con, but improved battery life is absolutely something everyone should hope gets improved down the road. I don't understand why you're defending it.

And in regard to your solutions: not everyone owns a second controller and everyone is accustomed to and rightfully expects similar battery life to the PS3 and 360, which were substantially longer.

I can't believe there people arguing against making this optional. This is not something that is going to take any significant engineering time away from anything else. Really silly.

did you really compare being able to turn off a light in the controller to being able to play every single game from every console regardless of competitor

is that thing that really happened here

Careful, he's got a Bachelors Degree.

They'll eventually give the user the option to turn it off, not sure why they wouldn't

Fredrik

This thread need to be brought back to life now that the console is out in Europe too. I can definitely understand why the led light is annoying now. I have my TV quite high up so the reflection isn't noticable for me unless I'm standing up. But it's certainly draining the battery and it's completely useless since I don't even notice the light when gaming since it's pointed out of my sight so having it show low energy warning etc is the worst idea ever.

--

Sony, just let me turn it off please. Have it automatically deactivated when no camera is plugged in, it is of no use what so ever right now unless using the camera.

Eusis

I can't believe there people arguing against making this optional. This is not something that is going to take any significant engineering time away from anything else. Really silly.
Proven to eat away at battery life, perhaps after your post. And variable brightness it seems, so they should go for that at a minimum without the camera being used.

Sony, just let me turn it off please. Have it automatically deactivated when no camera is plugged in, it is of no use what so ever right now unless using the camera.

But it turns red when you're dying in Killzone!

...yeah, seriously, it needs an "off" option.

Ricker

It's funny but I see it in my TV at times but while I am playing,it doesn't bother me at all,I don't even notice it..if they can fix it to be optional or something I am sure it's going to happen...one day,kinda like the PS3 time... :p

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
I didn't see anyone post this:

enwfYbG.png

Looks like Shu is considering including a dimming option!

Dunlop

Installed my PS4 last night, it is so much worse than I thought it would be

It is glaring when I play with my basement fully lit, I haven't even tried with the lights off yet

I sit about 9 ft away, plasma screen

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Eh, dimming isn't enough. Is there any reason why they seem to be so stubborn about this?
Because it's how you identify the controllers... I think it's a bit too late for that. Sadly enough.
Perhaps the same reason we still cant change our user IDs, the genius engineers have told Yosh that it's impossible, and he took it on faith.
Can't find a good "Flip A Switch" picture.

Melchiah

The light hasn't bothered me, as I don't pay attention to it while playing, my girlfriend did notice it when she was watching me playing. I only notice it during loading screens and cutscenes, so it's not a big deal to me. Alternatively, it doesn't seem to add anything substantial to gaming either.

GG-Duo

Idea: Shake the controller to see the color. Developers can also enable it for certain screens (ie. character selection screen).
Otherwise, turn it off.

RaikuHebi

Banned
But then you'lk miss Kojima's surprise!

Jokes aside I agree. Not because the light is annoying, but because of battery life.

Bergsy

The light doesnt bother me at all the battery life on the other hand I could strangle whoever chose the weak arse battery,

My DS3 used to go for days without getting near 1 bar,

My DS4 needs charging sometimes daily.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They could leave the light on in the dashboard, if they want it for camera sign-in, just switch it off during a game/app

Satchel

Banned
Didn't play long enough to test the battery yesterday, but I'm lucky the light doesn't pose an annoyance for me and my plasma.

I have 2 controllers anyway, so battery life shouldn't be an issue.

DS3's battery life is phenomenal compared to the DS4's. Still use my PS3 and haven't charged the controller for days, DS4 needs the cable plugged in constantly.

PaulloDEC

The only thing I've actually noticed the light-bar reflected in so far is the Playstation Camera, which is kinda funny in a way.

I'm pro-options though, so the chance to dim or disable the light makes sense to me.

Kanyon

My TV is up a little and I have not noticed the light bar at all.

Minor issue really.

I love the light bar, but an option to turn it off would be ideal for those who are bothered by it.

I'm in the same situation, where I sit while playing PS4 the blue light doesn't show up on my glossy big screen TV but yes I think even just having the option to have it on or off would be great.

Does it even have an effect on battery life?

Dead Man

Because it's how you identify the controllers... I think it's a bit too late for that. Sadly enough.
Can't find a good "Flip A Switch" picture.

But if you can turn the light on and off you can still identify your controllers, and plenty of the time there is only one person using a console.

Minamu

Eh, dimming isn't enough. Is there any reason why they seem to be so stubborn about this?
Probably because every single game which uses the lightbar for something, like health in Killzone, would need to be patched to remove the functionality to avoid crashing if an off function was put in the OS.

Huggers

Evidence that people will complain about anything? I don't even notice it really and if I do I like how it looks. The only argument could be that it drains the battery faster but you just charge the things up in standby mode and voila, you're good to go

Evidence that people will complain about anything? I don't even notice it really and if I do I like how it looks. The only argument could be that it drains the battery faster but you just charge the things up in standby mode and voila, you're good to go

Good for you. So you're arguing against an option that won't affect you?

Duxxy3

I have to admit that I am getting tired of charging my controller 5 to 6 times a week. If there was an option to disable the light, along with the bluetooth audio, to get the battery life to 20 hours I would use that option. They are both cool features, but not integral to my experience.

Probably because every single game which uses the lightbar for something, like health in Killzone, would need to be patched to remove the functionality to avoid crashing if an off function was put in the OS.

More likely the signal that tells it to light up would just be ignored. Still can't believe people are arguing against an option. Amazing.

Minamu

More likely the signal that tells it to light up would just be ignored. Still can't believe people are arguing against an option. Amazing.
Why would that be more likely? I'm actually curious. I was just offering my thoughts on why they're resisting, I want it gone as much as the next person, even though it doesn't bother me personally.

Top Bottom