• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment, launching January 23

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
giphy.gif

Zambatoh

Nice. I always wanted back buttons. I hate using L3 and R3 since I always feel like I'm damaging the mechanism whenever I try to sprint or melee with them. Also the dodge button in Souls games. You can't use the camera and dodge at the same time without remapping it to another button.

waylo

Banned
The additional buttons are fine, but why does this thing need a fucking OLED screen? The battery life on the DS4 is already shit. Now we've got an OLED sucking even more juice.

Dibils2k

Adding an OLED screen is an even dumber idea than adding a light bar. How many times you're going to use it? When you set up your shortcuts for the first time?
will help with battery, as OLEDs can shut off pixels that are black, so in theory it will use less power than if you had an LED which had to be lit all times

Shifty

Good April Fool's, Sony. You're off by a few months, but we can workshop it.

Seriously what the fuck were they thinking? Just make a simple paddle addon and call it a day if you want to lean in on broadening the controller's functionality.
Adding a screen and ratcheting up the price tag because of it is on a similar level of retarded as Hyperkin doing the same for the Xbox Duke. Utterly pointless.

trikster40

Well, at least that solves the mystery of the OLED controller patent.

The screen makes sense really. You can have multiple profiles set up, so if you switch games, you don’t have e to reprogram the buttons, it’s change profiles.

Last edited:

Banned
will help with battery, as OLEDs can shut off pixels that are black, so in theory it will use less power than if you had an LED which had to be lit all times

the thing is it wouldn't need any screen at all... I mean for what purpose?

all they needed to do is release an app with it where you can change the settings, and for quick switching a button that you press and then hold the button you want to map to it.

the DualShock 4 has an embarrassingly low battery life already, now you put an OLED screen on it?

a button on the right and one on the left, hold that button, press the button you want to map, done... why a screen?

Tomeru

Jealousy is an evil thing ;)

Honestly thought, the thing is a little silly looking. First thing that came to mind is the infamous line," Squeal like a pig", line in deliverance lol. I'm actually excited for this as long as Sony prices it right.

Its priced already though?

Mega_Deth

This is actually pretty cool. I paid alot of money for a SCUF controller years ago that ended up having issues with the triggers activating on their own. I even opened it up to try and solve the problem to no avail. Because I live outside the US, shipping it back to SCUF and having to pay for shipping back to me made it too costly to repair.

I do have a Nacon Pro controller but would prefer an official Sony pro controller much like the Xbox Elite controller but they don't seem to interested in that at the moment. This attachment is almost the best of both worlds and keeps the cost down. Not too sure about the OLED screen but if it doesn't affect battery life I am so getting this.

Mega_Deth

So the paddles are happening on DS5 & this is just the prequel?

Let us hope so. SCUF would essentially go out of business if paddles are standard on the DS5. Not to mention having a big advantage over the Xbox Series X controller which is almost identical to the standard Xbox One controller.

Last edited:

xool

I want back buttons. But not like this.

Actual new inputs.

Also it probably has a Li-ion battery in it people..

xrnzaaas

It's still unnecessarily going to drain extra battery power, I suspect it won't turn off completely even when it's not needed.

Watch it eventually be copied then for many it'll be the best thing since sliced bread (here's looking at you share button ).
I don't see other companies copying the light bar idea. Actually some unofficial PS4 controllers don't have it at all.

Last edited:

Mega_Deth

Charging your Dual Shock 4 with the official Sony charging dock will not be possible with the attachment connected. Will have to come off prior to charging with the dock or use a USB cable connected to the top of the controller.

Shmunter

Cool accessibility option. DS5 will likely have this stock.

Screen is there for quick on device configuration, don’t see an issue. Oled shouldn’t be a measurable battery drain.

Will buy.

xrnzaaas

Charging your Dual Shock 4 with the official Sony charging dock will not be possible with the attachment connected. Will have to come off prior to charging with the dock or use a USB cable connected to the top of the controller.
Yep, it's going to wear down that port even faster than when only using it for docking.

Gamernyc78

Banned
It's still unnecessarily going to drain extra battery power, I suspect it won't turn off completely even when it's not needed.

I don't see other companies copying the light bar idea. Actually some unofficial PS4 controllers don't have it at all.

The draining of the battery wasnt necessarily the light bar, it was Sony cheapening out on the battery. First time Sony had issues with controllers dying out so fast I doubt we will experience tht again.

xrnzaaas

The draining of the battery wasnt necessarily the light bar, it was Sony cheapening out on the battery. First time Sony had issues with controllers dying out so fast I doubt we will experience tht again.
We'll see, I have a v2 controller as well and it's not a drastic change in terms of battery life compared to my old one (when it was new).

Mega_Deth

The light bar only uses a very minimal amount of power. I tried those so-called expanded third party batteries and the charge was even worse than standard. On a standard battery I get about 8 hours. Not great but not bad.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Is this Sony's answer to the Elite controller.? It should certainly help the already outstanding battery life of the DS4 :pie_roffles:"pie_tears_joy::pie_roffles:

No, thy don't need an over priced catch up controller. Dual shock design has already won tons of awards in its lifetime. I hope to God thy keep just iterating on it and don't change it much 😁😂😂😂

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I don't care what anyone says, this is really awesome. First it is unobtrusive and sleek and you don't need an app or to change screen to change the buttons/paddles.
Then it is transferable, so you can have one controller charging and when your first controller runs out of battery just transfer this over to the second....

Then it's really cheap... I mean you can't buy much in gaming for 30 euro (hardware).

Overall, really great making this feature accessible to millions for a small price compared to the nacon and razer I own which cost over 200 each...

DonF

I ... hmmm

Looks like a great idea. But its so unnecessarily complicated with that screen.

Its a shame that now, at close to the end of this gen, sony is finally making something like this.

Mega_Deth

I ... hmmm

Looks like a great idea. But its so unnecessarily complicated with that screen.

Its a shame that now, at close to the end of this gen, sony is finally making something like this.

I think some are thinking the screen will be on all the time and use up precious battery but most likely the screen will be dormant when not being used to switch modes/custom setups. You are right in that we could have used this a good 2-3 years ago. I like the concept as it is optional and you don't have to buy a $200 controller like a SCUF, Nacon, Astro etc. The DS5 better have these built in or it will be a real lost opportunity against the Xbox Series X.

Thabass

Based on the patents that have already come out for the controller, it seems like, officially, they're removing the lightbar.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
What's this? I don't understand the purpose/need for it. It lets you program button combos, like for a fighting game?

jaysius

Banned
They should have added 4 buttons instead of 2. Also the OLED is the dumbest thing, since it's first party they could have added icons to the OSD.

Cheaper and better looking than the altenative, I've been using my MS Elite controller on PS4 for ages with their X One, it's a great product that just works, and has a longer battery life than the DS4:nougat_rofl:(what doesn't?).

Top Bottom