• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment, launching January 23

Charging your Dual Shock 4 with the official Sony charging dock will not be possible with the attachment connected. Will have to come off prior to charging with the dock or use a USB cable connected to the top of the controller.

I have the official charge dock as well, they should of made the bottom side with the ports more flat and allowed for power passthru.

Nero_PR

Banned
If this isn’t the stupidest thing I have seen recently. UNNECESSARY! Go on and concentrate on the DS5 ffs. Like if any of us actually needs more shit to suck the fuck out the battery
I'm pretty sure that this may be hinting on what it can be a feature built-in the Dualshock 5. Maybe this is one way to maintain the Dualshock 4 relevant when the PS5 drops. It will better than leaving all the hardware behind.

Mista

Banned
I'm pretty sure that this may be hinting on what it can be a feature built-in the Dualshock 5. Maybe this is one way to maintain the Dualshock 4 relevant when the PS5 drops. It will better than leaving all the hardware behind.
Sure but if its useless and kills the battery, im sure nobody needs it.

DonF

I think some are thinking the screen will be on all the time and use up precious battery but most likely the screen will be dormant when not being used to switch modes/custom setups.
Yeah and at least it looks like a black and white oled, so it shouldn't use that much battery.

Fake

PS5 will come at the end of 2020, but Dualshock 4 is still selling pretty well for a joystick and Sony keep add many different colors, so they don't want when PS5 release to abandon Dualshock 4 because of his popularity. My guess is Sony know the Dualshock 4 will be used on PS5 and foward, maybe that explain why DS4 is geeting gadgets.
There is a possibility of this being a part of Dualshock 5 and maybe why wired said is heavy than Dualshock 4.

IMO, its not about 'nobody need its', at some point Sony just want to people enjoy PS5 even if they don't like the Dualshock 5. Maybe they want Dualshock 4 gadgets to drain battery life as a selling point for Dualshock 5 larger battery life.

Last edited:

xool

Remapping existing buttons isn't going to be a fix if the DS5 adds new paddles ...

(it won't)

Saber

Gold Member
Weird...and it comes with a led?
Lol, unecessary if you ask. I wouldn't spend a peny on it, sorry.

mortal

Gold Member
giphy.gif
Possibly meant to futureproof it for PS5 compatibility?

thelastword

Banned
Remember the writeup on Godfall, it was said they are using the power of PS5, but they are also using all the features of the DS5...….So expect some neat controller features upon reveal.....

Personally, I like that it is detachable, for some genres/games I will attach it, for others I'd rather it be off......Hope it's detachable on DS5 as well......

With next gen so soon...I don't get why such a thing isn't built in by default into say the DS5. Having this so late on PS4/DS4 is rather strange to me.

jts

...hate me...
This is a cool idea and it’s cheap I don’t know why people are losing their shit about it. You get paddles without having to buy a whole new controller.

Monochromatic OLED is cheap and common and relatively old technology, they aren’t putting an HDR display there. It serves a nice purpose, and again, it’s cheap. Little battery draw.

If it even impacts battery life or you don’t like it or whatever just don’t buy it. But you’ll lose a competitive edge if you’re into competitive games. Plus it’s nice for accessibility purposes as well.

Everyone these days is a god damn armchair product designer and marketing expert.

The only thing that bothers me is that it releases so late into PS4’s life. It would be cool if they said it’ll be compatible with the DS5 too.

I think this is a really bad marketing situation caused by the LCD and calling it a "back button" attachment. At first, I thought this was a joke, like Sony were releasing a new attachment with a giant button on the back of the controller just so you can go back to a previous menu with the press of a single giant button.

The fact is, this isn't a "back button" add-on, it's a paddle add-on, and it's a great price. This will give you two added buttons on your controller, and it's an official Sony product. I've been waiting forever for something like this. Finally, another company released a similar product about a year or two ago, and I've been using that ever since. I can't tell you how invaluable paddles are in so many games. If you don't believe me, ask anyone who has ever used a scuff controller, which costs about 4 times as much as this does.

We also don't know how much more this will drain the battery, or even if the screen will be on at all times. It's also not like the screen is going to feature a 1080p resolution on the back of a controller, on a circular button for 30 dollars. It's just designed to show you which buttons you've mapped and what profile is being used. It might not even make much of a difference in the life of the battery.

Anyhow, this is what I'm using currently, and I wouldn't ever want to play a game again without it, or something with even more paddles:

Last edited:

xool

Only 1 week to christmas though ... could this be the true inspiration behind the suprise reveal ..

Dthomp

This is a cool idea and it’s cheap I don’t know why people are losing their shit about it. You get paddles without having to buy a whole new controller.

Monochromatic OLED is cheap and common and relatively old technology, they aren’t putting an HDR display there. It serves a nice purpose, and again, it’s cheap. Little battery draw.

If it even impacts battery life or you don’t like it or whatever just don’t buy it. But you’ll lose a competitive edge if you’re into competitive games. Plus it’s nice for accessibility purposes as well.

Everyone these days is a god damn armchair product designer and marketing expert.

The only thing that bothers me is that it releases so late into PS4’s life. It would be cool if they said it’ll be compatible with the DS5 too.

I was confused by this as well. I sure as shit ain't buying a 3rd party $200 dollar controller for paddles at the end of a system gen when you know they'll have issues going into a new console. $30 bucks and I can get the same effect? I don't see the downside here. Being able to revive somebody in destiny without having to stop everything else I'm doing with my hands seems like a solid idea to me. 🤷‍♂️

Iorv3th

I think it's a great idea and a good price point. Considering the elite controller is going to cost you over 150

VertigoOA

Banned
Do hope Sony’s on board with having current controllers forward compatible.

Only a handful or arcade sticks were supported and mostly by game developers themselves early in gen.

There’s not going to be anything revolutionary replacing standard inputs and interfaces anytime soon.

Last edited:

McCheese

Someone fucked up and ordered too many watch LCDs for that Sony android watch that got cancelled didn't get they?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's interesting and I like it as an option.
But I would not want it as a standard in next controller as I personally think paddles suck ass.
Wonder if it improves headphones jack amplification or anything ?

This also probably means that ps5 will have paddles and this is their forward compatibility for the controlelr ?

Last edited:

Kagero

They doing this to throw off MS. Now Micro is going to have to add paddles to their controller, thus driving up cost of the system. In the meantime, this device will be compatible with the DS 5.

PS5 -$499
XBOX SEX- $549

Got to admit, kinda tempted to get this so I can play all the Soulsborne games without having to resort to "the claw" to sprint and move the camera around at the same time. As shown in this image below.

WVqZT2T.jpg

That screen in the middle is dumb though, just make it a switch instead.

Last edited:

Fbh

If it's ever on sale for like $10 I'd buy one, looks dumb but could be comfortable for some games.
And yeah the screen is stupid, they must be aware that battery life is one of the main complains about the DS4 right? And yet they still went "yeah let's put a screen on that thing!!!"

Last edited:

xool

WXcCNIE.jpg

Does nobody else see this thing digitally arse spreading itself, and the end of a dildo poking out. Also the name "Back Button Attachment" ..

..did they subconsciously rush out a response to the XboxSex by offering virtualized anal dildo fun.

wtf

-Arcadia-

Banned
Dafuq is right, lol. I don’t understand the screen at all.

However, I need an extra button for my set-up in Fortnite, and well... this is kind of perfect. Two is even more helpful. I really didn’t want to have to get the expensive, and possibly weird Scuf controller with the paddles, so this is pretty cool.

Well... it's prolly the best alternative to the shitty "pro controllers" from Nacon, Razer, SCUF etc that all have reliability issues.

I'll prolly get one, but the OLED screen seems kinda pointless... should've an integrated AMP for headphones instead.

onQ123

For the people asking why there is a OLED screen on this attachment I ask how would you make a programmable button attachment?

if it only replaced the triggers you could just have one button that change it from L1/R1 to L2/R2 but these paddles can replace any button on the controller so one screen/button was a better choice than having multiply switches.

Enjay

Banned
So it makes jumping and shooting easier without fucking me over on a few hundred dollars like scuf or some elite controller would. Good shit.

jts

...hate me...
The DualShock 4 is also an important 3rd party controller, with lots of officially supported platforms + unofficial ones.

If this accessory operates at a controller level, and isn’t OS-dependent, makes even more sense to have a display, since PS4 OS-level information wouldn’t be enough.

Top Bottom