• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Due to demand, Nintendo used unusual and costly air freight to ship Switches faster

Schnozberry

So they failed to gauge market demand for yet another product? When is this going to stop being a thing with Nintendo?

Maybe next time they'll dream really big and announce a product they have no intention of selling whatsoever. That seems to be the end game, according to GAF's business analysts. A product can't be a failure if it never makes it to market.

Kouriozan

Ooooh, that explains the new scalpers price!

GdtZ85B.png

It came her in a plane!
(Yes, Amazon.fr is so f*cked with stock availability)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Nintendo releases some info about unorthodox shipments in March due to being being caught off guard by demand and now criticism of Nintendo's handling of product distribution is just "lol memes" or conspiracy nonsense now? I wasn't expecting this to be a reaction.

Reminds me of a quote Reggie gave to Time(?) after it was announced Tatsumi Kimishima would be president. Something about Kimishima finding ways to supply more and more Wiis amidst that console's heyday.

liquidtmd

Banned
Pffft. You OBVIOUSLY don't understand how businesses work.

You actually make MORE money by not having product around to sell! What's so difficult about understanding that? Nintendo knows this and this is why they've maintained artificial scarcity since its playing card days!

1) Create an in-demand product.
2) Make it easy for scalpers to buy, but not customers.
3) Keep shipments small, so that no product is on the shelves.
4) Sit back and RAKE in the CASH!

It's as plain as the nose on my face, man!

Sarcasm, but I still don't know what they were thinking with the NES Classic.

Simps....SOUTH PARK DID IT!

latest

f@luS

More than a member.
how can air transport can cost that much ?
Sometimes I have tickets around 50-60€ to travel accros Europe and I'm the size of a dozen switch boxes and it doesn't include my luggage

tebunker

Banned
Pffft. You OBVIOUSLY don't understand how businesses work.

You actually make MORE money by not having product around to sell! What's so difficult about understanding that? Nintendo knows this and this is why they've maintained artificial scarcity since its playing card days!

1) Create an in-demand product.
2) Make it easy for scalpers to buy, but not customers.
3) Keep shipments small, so that no product is on the shelves.
4) Sit back and RAKE in the CASH!

It's as plain as the nose on my face, man!

Sarcasm, but I still don't know what they were thinking with the NES Classic.

Love the sarcasm! You perfectly encapsulated Gaf in every business thread.

But Seriously every time I open a thread about Nintendo business decisions I am immensely disappointed with how little people here and in general understand how businesses, specifically large multinational, publicly traded corporations.

It takes like 5 minutes to google search some of the topics and get a base level understanding. I am not talking about high level macroeconomic shit either, but the methods that companies use to make decisions.

Its not worth even getting in to anymore. Most of you guys should start with working capital and follow the path from there. Almost every business decision is based on what is the best return based on a limited pool of working capital.

Love you guys, you'll be a lot happier when you stop worrying about the esoteric accounting and financial rules Nintendo uses in their decision making processes.

how can air transport can cost that much ?
Sometimes I have tickets around 50-60€ to travel accros Europe and I'm the size of a dozen switch boxes and it doesn't include my luggage

Well, cargo space ain't cheap. Plus airlines typically have different service levels that give priority to cargo at higher levels (meaning it won't get bumped)

Tack on fuel surcharge.

Plus cargo is charged on either actual weight or dimensional weight

Using air freight isn't "unusual" in logistics. Heck, in my experience Japanese companies prefer air freight. Nintendo's just cheap. Source: I worked in logistics for six years doing imports and customs brokerage. Worked at a Japanese firm for a year. Nintendo's just reeeally cheap and penny pinching. Fun fact: Sony air freights Vita memory cards ffs. I've personally cleared them into the country. A single skid of Vita cards is worth just over a million dollars too.

In Sydney, I've been seeing stores with huge signs advertising whenever they got Switches back in stock.

And forget the fucking accessories. Those things have been out of stock ever since the Switch came out to market

Very true. Very hard to track down red or blue joy cons at the moment. Have only seen a few Mario Kart 8 games and a small amount of Zelda as well.

Might pick up the Lego game when I see a copy because it's pretty scarce atm.

Great to see it going so successfully though. This is like Wii scarcity, but this time I'm actually following the stocks of the Switch unlike the Wii. lol Bodes well for the future.

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
The day of the switch launch, the package delivered late as hell, about 15 minutes past the latest time of 7 pm. When I talked to the guy, he said something along the lines of "I hear this [package of botw] got flown in today!" So this doesn't really surprise me. Still pretty cool though, having so much flown in.

Peltz

Nintendo releases some info about unorthodox shipments in March due to being being caught off guard by demand and now criticism of Nintendo's handling of product distribution is just "lol memes" or conspiracy nonsense now? I wasn't expecting this to be a reaction.

It's always been conspiracy nonsense. Like... since the 90s with their Pokemon/GBC shortage. Or even since the 80s when Super Mario Bros 2 USA was impossible to find for months.

This is nothing new people. Nintendo's console hardware either bombs or explodes in popularity and Nintendo shoots for a middle ground in their manufacturing projections for it.

RootCause

Demand for the product must be very encouraging. Any guess for how many units they're building per month?

I always felt like Nintendo was overly optimistic about selling 2 million units in the first month, and the vast majority of GAF thought the Switch was DOA. So I don't think really anyone expected demand to be this high out the gate.
A stupid prediction thread doesn't =/= the vast majority of gaf. It's always the same thing with some of you.

Using air freight isn't "unusual" in logistics. Heck, in my experience Japanese companies prefer air freight. Nintendo's just cheap. Source: I worked in logistics for six years doing imports and customs brokerage. Worked at a Japanese firm for a year. Nintendo's just reeeally cheap and penny pinching. Fun fact: Sony air freights Vita ffs. I've personally cleared them into the country. A single skid of Vita cards is worth just over a million dollars too.

It's almost like they have profit margins to maintain...if they can use alternate means of transportation that are slower, but cheaper, that doesn't make them penny pinchers, just economical

Well, cargo space ain't cheap. Plus airlines typically have different service levels that give priority to cargo at higher levels (meaning it won't get bumped)

Tack on fuel surcharge.

Plus cargo is charged on either actual weight or dimensional weight

This, plus I'd imagine Nintendo isn't a regular customer so they'd have a premium price compared to the longer term + regular contracts their usual customers would hold.

Simplified:

Nintendo uses a short-term contract for this shipment. = premium price

Usual customers have a long-term contract. = discounted price

tebunker

Banned
Using air freight isn't "unusual" in logistics. Heck, in my experience Japanese companies prefer air freight. Nintendo's just cheap. Source: I worked in logistics for six years doing imports and customs brokerage. Worked at a Japanese firm for a year. Nintendo's just reeeally cheap and penny pinching. Fun fact: Sony air freights Vita memory cards ffs. I've personally cleared them into the country. A single skid of Vita cards is worth just over a million dollars too.

Actually it is unusual and costly for companies to use air freight. Maybe you've had experiences with some companies who have no issues, especially with smaller things, but my company imports a ton of product from China and we do everything in our power to avoid air freight.

Air freight should usually be used in emergency situations. The cost of Air can sometimes be 10-15 times that of putting a container on a ship.

Yeah Nintendo is cheap, or cost efficient, but Air freight is far from the norm or everyone would use it on the reg.

Not using air frieght does mean your supply chain has to be pretty awesome top to bottom though bc one missed shipment or you miss a forecast and its 8-12 weeks to fix it if you can't spend for the Air freight.

koss424

Are those numbers really accurate? I can send a package from Germany to China via air freight at about the same price. Businesses should be able to get better deals.

when you ship one item you are sharing a plane with other shippers and passengers with a destination already planed. When you ship thousands of items you are renting the plane for your use.

Speely

Banned
Actually it is unusual and costly for companies to use air freight. Maybe you've had experiences with some companies who have no issues, especially with smaller things, but my company imports a ton of product from China and we do everything in our power to avoid air freight.

Air freight should usually be used in emergency situations. The cost of Air can sometimes be 10-15 times that of putting a container on a ship.

Yeah Nintendo is cheap, or cost efficient, but Air freight is far from the norm or everyone would use it on the reg.

Not using air frieght does mean your supply chain has to be pretty awesome top to bottom though bc one missed shipment or you miss a forecast and its 8-12 weeks to fix it if you can't spend for the Air freight.

Yup yup. My company imports in bulk from china (to the US) as well, and we have pretty much never used air freight because it's crazy expensive compared to ship freight.

Demand for the product must be very encouraging. Any guess for how many units they're building per month?

There was a WSJ article a few weeks back which said they are doubling their FY17 production from 8m units to 16m units. If that's true, I'd say about a million or slightly less per month with an extra 4-5 million units built and shipped specifically for the holiday period.

Hope the supply and demand keep up so they can keep selling these.
I believe Nintendo did this with amiibo in the past.
I would've hoped conspiracy theories of "Nintendo under shipping" would've died down when Nintendo announced it was the fastest selling console they've released meaning it's the most amount of units supplied in the same amount of time.

Hope the supply and demand keep up so they can keep selling these.
I believe Nintendo did this with amiibo in the past.
I would've hoped conspiracy theories of "Nintendo under shipping" would've died down when Nintendo announced it was the fastest selling console they've released meaning it's the most amount of units supplied in the same amount of time.

That didn't stop those same claims from surfacing during the Wii shortages.

I do wonder what the profit margines for this thing are. I imagine shipping the Switch is rather cheap due to how small it is. I'm pretty sure Nintendo was aiming to make money from every unit.

It sure is amusing listening to people with no expertise in logistics talking about air freight not being cheap. Domestic air freight isn't cheap. Interational is like 8x more

Is it really that hard to buy a Switch right now? I ordered one on Friday just past and got it the next day through Amazon. Bought MK8D without a preorder too on release.

I still don't understand Nintendo. Literally everything they put out, even initially (WiiU), sells out and they don't have enough stock and they said they were surprised by the unusually high demand. Stop being surprised and just make enough before launching the damn systems, happened with Wii, WiiU initially, NES Classic, Switch now. How can literally everything be shocking.

I still don't understand Nintendo. Literally everything they put out, even initially (WiiU), sells out and they don't have enough stock and they said they were surprised by the unusually high demand. Stop being surprised and just make enough before launching the damn systems, happened with Wii, WiiU initially, NES Classic, Switch now. How can literally everything be shocking.

The Wii U did not sell out. It had massive shipments to retailers but those shipments did not sell through such that they were sold out.

The fact that they shipped so many Wii U's initially is why they were so conservative with the Switch too. It was a disastrous launch.

zelas

I don't know, they got it right with WiiU and 3DS, now they are back with their artificial scarcity... Right?
They didnt get it right with the Wii, the Classic, amiibo, and all kinds of software and accessory releases. And are you really gonna ignore the various 3DS retailer stock issues they've had as recently as a few months ago?

I didn't say they NEVER get it right. It happens often enough to be a thing.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They didnt get it right with the Wii, the Classic, amiibo, and all kinds of software and accessory releases. And are you really gonna ignore the various 3DS retailer stock issues they've had as recently as a few months ago?

I didn't say they NEVER get it right. It happens often enough to be a thing.

Neogaf said the Switch was going to be DOA, and Nintendo listened

Top Bottom