• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Due to demand, Nintendo used unusual and costly air freight to ship Switches faster

Nanashrew

Banned
I couldn't even tell....this gif...doesn't work
I was wondering the same thing lol. Not sure what it's supposed to be saying .

It's a Miku version of this

sp69kMj.gif

Cipherr

I mean the salt is predictable. The same thing happened to a bunch of posters when the PS3 started to sell decently after being a punching bag for the first half of the generation, and also back when the Wii first took off.

Having an previous easy target start doing well fucking with fanboys something terrible.
KuGsj.gif

Plum

So they're helping to destroy the environment, but who cares if people get their game console that plays ports from an older game console faster. SMH

Will you post something similar when all the developers, press and publishers who don't live an hour or so from the LA Convention Centre start arriving at E3? Yes, climate change is the biggest issue of our time, but to play that card now is just strange.

Shahadan

Some of these people don't actually understand a lick of logistics, but talk like they have a full grasp on the subject.

Truly amazing

What is there to understand. Don't they just press a button while yelling "JUST MAKE MORE UNITS!!!" and it's done and on shelves in about a day?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If anything, it's a good sign that the narrative has moved from "let's wait a year to see if this launch is actually successful!" to "they should have manufactured 5 million units for launch!" We've advanced from denial to anger. Can't wait for the bargaining phase.

I thought people were already doing it with "I won't get one until x price".

Why is that confusing you?

I mean no one commented on "take off"

Tubie

They're going to have to cancel the Pokemon Stars reveal at this rate. They've got public safety to think about.

Shit, you are right.

A Pokemon game on this thing would just make the world a more dangerous place.

We would have mom wars in front of walmarts in december.

PS: don't sleep on Minecraft, and that's coming out this month...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If they make too many consoles, like Sony did with the PS3 or Nintendo with the Wii U its all "lol dead system, bargain bin pls"

If they dont make enough, then its some conspiracy theory because they dont want to make money.

You cant win with some people. Hopefully this helps.

Shiloa

This is a bit of a non-story

It's really common for airfreight to be used for console launches. MS does it I know for a fact.

samn

Will you post something similar when all the developers, press and publishers who don't live an hour or so from the LA Convention Centre start arriving at E3? Yes, climate change is the biggest issue of our time, but to play that card now is just strange.

excellent point, yes they really do have to get their act together.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This was Nintendo being flexible for once and completely undermines any artificial scarcity talking point.

Yes it's important to get the most sales while customer interest is high and for the console support. they obviously didn't expected it to do that good but what they did is so un-Nintendo.

Great.

I must confess, this is actually a brilliant little bit of PR too, as well as an interesting insight into the logistics of creating and shipping a product like this.

Because there's two points with this:
A) It's an assurance to consumers that Nintendo is trying everything they can to get the product onto shelves. It both deflects accusations of artificial scarcity, but also paints the company in a positive light for taking an apparent hit to their profit margins for the sake of doing the right thing.
B) It hypes up the system as an in-demand product. That it's so popular, they need a more expensive method of shipping just for the sake of keeping up with demand. It adds to the notion that those who can get their hands on a Switch right now should consider themselves lucky to do, and jump at the opportunity if it should arise.

And dammit if I can't help but fall for both those points. It's staggering how this thing is proving such a seller for Nintendo, where the Wii U fell flat after launch.

Celine

So they used air flight to deliver faster Switches in US and Europe but then keep them in warehouse to create artificial scarcity?
What a stupid company.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In Sydney, I've been seeing stores with huge signs advertising whenever they got Switches back in stock.

And forget the fucking accessories. Those things have been out of stock ever since the Switch came out to market

Makes me feel super lucky for having got day 1 from Nintendo UK online shop (technically it arrived a day late ;)).

llien

There is something I don't quite follow in this story.
So expectation was 2 million consoles in March, but isn't the first month the "sold out" and hence "you sell whatever you can manufacture and deliver to shops" month anyhow?

And if so, what's the point of using air transport in March, but not in April? (or at all)

So does ships, or any other method of transportation.

Large ships is nearly as economical as it gets, as means of transporting goods. (bar the fact that you then need to transport it from the port). Followed by railway, followed by trucks, followed by airplanes.

Basically it costs more because it isn't economical.

Celine

So expectation was 2 million consoles in March, but isn't the first month the "sold out" and hence "you sell whatever you can manufacture and deliver to shops" month anyhow?

And if so, what's the point of using air transport in March, but not in April? (or at all)
Because Nintendo could trump the PR card of "Switch had the the best-selling launch of any Nintendo console ever" to create hype.

And if so, what's the point of using air transport in March, but not in April? (or at all).

Didn't Nintendo state they would increase production based on preorders?

I must confess, this is actually a brilliant little bit of PR too, as well as an interesting insight into the logistics of creating and shipping a product like this.

Because there's two points with this:
A) It's an assurance to consumers that Nintendo is trying everything they can to get the product onto shelves. It both deflects accusations of artificial scarcity, but also paints the company in a positive light for taking an apparent hit to their profit margins for the sake of doing the right thing.
B) It hypes up the system as an in-demand product. That it's so popular, they need a more expensive method of shipping just for the sake of keeping up with demand. It adds to the notion that those who can get their hands on a Switch right now should consider themselves lucky to do, and jump at the opportunity if it should arise.

And dammit if I can't help but fall for both those points. It's staggering how this thing is proving such a seller for Nintendo, where the Wii U fell flat after launch.

Agree. This statement is enough to counter the artificial scarcity nonsense while also letting potential consumers know if they want one they better pick it up if they happen to see one available.

Top Bottom