• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch journalist: Guerrilla IP "is RPG", shown during Sony Conference

cjp

Yeah he wrote fallout: new vegas iirc

Obsidian writer huh? Now I'm interested, I was worried about guerrilla games writing an rpg tbh

He also co designed the Nemesis System in Shadow of Mordor.

Lead Designer, Narrative
WB Games
March 2011 – August 2013 (2 years 6 months)Greater Seattle Area
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Created main story of Talion and Celebrimbor (the Wraith), and co-developed major NPCs and side quests. Wrote all cinematic scripts for Celebrimbor's visions (his recovered memories). Co-designed the Nemesis System, leading design of its intricate AI-driven dialogue, and wrote or edited 12,000+ lines of Orc showdowns, death taunts, and more. Collaborated extensively with realization, audio, design, and cinematics staff on other features and assisted direction during voice recording.

https://nl.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez

Red from Transistor
Default Femshep
Claire from RE Revelations 2
Lightning if you include pink as redhead.

A decent chunk of the female protagonists are redheads..too bad it's still a tiny fraction of short brown-haired male leads.

One of the Giana Sisters had red hair too!

Guess I should post what was learned in the concept art leak thread

- Red-haired female protagonist
- 3rd person open world
- John Gonzales (Lead Writer for Fallout: New Vegas) is working on this.
- They hired CD Projekt Red quest designers and other experienced RPG developers.
- It has co-op (not sure if Shinobi ever made a follow-up post saying if it was local, online, or both.)

Want.

Since 2010? Damn. I wonder how many reboots it has gone through.

In the first place, because of the nature of new IPs, we don't know how long of the game development process is generally spent just deciding what the heck they want to do. I mean, Neil/Bruce probably wasted some months on Jak 4 before deciding 'fuck this shit.'

And with Guerilla, they didn't have some 'grand creative vision' in place, since they went with the group pitch and selection model, quoted below by IGN 3 years back.

Jan-Bart van Beek didn't say if the PS3 stuff was supporting Killzone 3 with downloadable content or a new entry in the franchise, but he did talk about how the team decided on its new IP. Basically, interested team members pitched the next game they'd want to make -- 32 entries to start with -- and the group narrowed it down to four.

Now, Jan-Bart van Beek didn't say if these were the final four types of games, but he did list zombies, werewolves, steampunk and Ghost in the Shell as pitches. Apparently the steampunk one didn't win out, but it did get iterated on. Eventually the team morphed the idea from being a Steampunk Sherlock Holmes taking on monsters like Frankenstein to a retro-futuristic '70s-punk title called Dark Science. Players would be Jake Crowbar, a Dirty Harry type, who takes on all sorts of monsters.

Again, Dark Science didn't pan out and Jan-Bart van Beek openly stated it won't be Guerrilla's next game, but it was interesting to see the pitch's path.

Tldr; New IPs are hard because you can spend a ton of time just effing around with ideas.

Alo0oy

Banned
Amsterdam, from what I can infer, is probably similar to ND.

2 creative teams, Steven der Heide ( Shadowfall) and Mathis de Jonge (KZ2/3/Liberation/Horizon), with largely one pool of resources dedicated to one game's full-production.

Cambridge is it's own team.

GG has 270 employees, almost twice the size of ND, I think they're more of a two studio team, & not ND's "one full team, one pre-production team". I doubt 270 are there to do KZ games while Naughty Dog has 150 & Polyphony has 120. Right now they're Sony's second biggest studio only behind Japan.

while Naughty Dog has 150

Once upon a time.

They're at least 265+ now. And if their latest job videos are any indication, there's a strong vibe that they want to really scale up their team.

ybin3fn.jpg

Alo0oy

Banned
Once upon a time.

They're at least 265+ now. And if their latest job videos are any indication, there's a strong vibe that they want to really scale up their team.

ybin3fn.jpg

Wow, I actually think they might have a full second team now. The last time I checked it was early 2014 I think & it was still 150.

Guess I should post what was learned in the concept art leak thread

- Red-haired female protagonist
- 3rd person open world
- John Gonzales (Lead Writer for Fallout: New Vegas) is working on this.
- They hired CD Projekt Red quest designers and other experienced RPG developers.
- It has co-op (not sure if Shinobi ever made a follow-up post saying if it was local, online, or both.)

Going to keep my expectations in check incase it's all wrong but all that sounds awesome.

Grimløck;167531190 said:
mechasaurs pls

dinoriders.jpg

pls

Loved Dino Riders as a kid. Would love a game based on that.

v1ncelis

That's pretty big studio, maybe biggest Sony owned studio in Europe since UK studios went trough tons of layoffs in recent years.
Anyways, all rumours surrounding this new ip sounds too good. Can't wait for Monday. Ready to be blown away like when I saw Killzone 2 for the first time lol

Drackhorn

These guys have a terrible trackrecords as far as predictions go.
On the other hand they have friendly relations with Guerilla so who knows.
E3 is close enough.

Ivan

Can't wait. That art style is so beautiful.
It has to be action heavy rpg with good mechanics , it's guerrilla after all.

This is gonna be amazing. Guerrilla are already tech wizards, great at crafting superb gameplay and now they've got the former Obsidian writer behind this. So hyped.

Now im intrigued, that was one of my bigger grip with Guarilla they have the tech but ingame killzone felt a bit empty with obsidian writers behind this game this might change
greatly consider me hyped for the reveal.

Man

Uncharted 4 is their huge spring release. They are *also* releasing Morpheus VR in spring.
This is absolutely destined to be their big 2016 Xmas game.

Christ, they also have Gran Turismo 7 next year and likely Media Molecule's new IP.

UrbanRats

Anyone else think the robot dinosaurs are a red herring? It's just too crazy.

In the game, all of that happens outside of your character's office window, what actually do, is very dry data entry, for a nameless company.

Spreadsheets to fill, using your analog sticks to move a slow mouse cursor around and operate an on-screen keyboard, and where "space" and "backspace" aren't tied to a face button, but you have to actually select the keys.

Alo0oy

Banned
I wonder how much money Sony pumped into this, probably their most expensive game to date, 6 years in development with around ~150 employees on the project, probably a lot of VAs recording a lot of lines, Sony must have a lot of faith in the project & GG in particular.

I wonder how much money Sony pumped into this, probably their most expensive game to date, 6 years in development with around ~150 employees on the project, probably a lot of VAs recording a lot of lines, Sony must have a lot of faith in the project & GG in particular.
Especially with the people they added to the team. I think it's a game GG really wanted to make. I can't wait. I'm not sure who the senior art director is on this game (hoping for Misja Baas). But i'm sure it will be amazing.

RPGCrazied

I hope its Star Wars related. Aren't there several developers working on Star Wars games? We already know about dice and battlefront.

Depends on your views of "medevial", eh?

So I'm guessing this is some post-post apocalypse scenario where mankind has regressed in technology?

Man reading this thread and the information about some of the devs Guerrilla recruited to make this game really has me hyped to see this game at E3.

Top Bottom