• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucreto

Which games did they release in 2012?

Sports Champions
Ico Collection
Jak Collection
Twisted Metal: Black
MLB 12: The Show
Journey
Starhawk
Ratchet & Clank Collection
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
MotorStorm RC
PixelJunk 4am
Sorcery

Not all are first party titles but all Sony owned IP's

Sid

I like how you specifically mention Kratos rather than SSM. :)
Well SSM does collaborate often on external projects.....

Sports Champions
Ico Collection
Jak Collection
Twisted Metal: Black
MLB 12: The Show
Journey
Starhawk
Little Big Planet 2
Ratchet & Clank Collection
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Most of them aren't from their first party studios....LBP 2 released in 2011 BTW

thuway

You heard anything interesting about this E3? Like some secret insider stuff?

Nope. I don't do that anymore, and you most likely won't hear anything like that from me again. I'm just here for the ride.

I hope not. Sony's studios should be getting ready to show off their new games after releasing games in 2012 and 2013. Sony usually have a 2 or 3 year cycle and that should be coming around now and next year.

GamesCom is a bigger deal for Sony and they do divide their exclusives over 3 conferences or 4 like last year.

Sony knows this, but I think the larger issue SCE faces is establishing PS4 as the premiere place to play. Third party juggernauts will help reinforce that to the masses. As sad as it sounds, I think Joe Six Pack cares more about COD DLC than he does about the Last Guardian.

I'm not saying Sony won't have any exclusives. I think you'll see Ratchet, Street Fighter V, and one or two more notable second party // timed parternships, but I doubt you'll see wall to wall SCEA 1st Party Announcements. 2009 E3 is still close to my heart.

I like how you specifically mention Kratos rather than SSM. :)

SSM is working on the new Fat Princess title which is 4 Player Co-Op, and looks so goooooooood.

Circinus

I hope not. Sony's studios should be getting ready to show off their new games after releasing games in 2012 and 2013. Sony usually have a 2 or 3 year cycle and that should be coming around now and next year.

GamesCom is a bigger deal for Sony and they do divide their exclusives over 3 conferences or 4 like last year.

I wouldn't say they have a 2 or 3 year cycle. They're pretty consistent I think.

And no Gamescom is not a bigger deal for them. E3 is the most publicized event of the year within video games, of course that's more important for the big publishers.

Which games did they release in 2012?

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Gravity Rush
- LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
- Wipeout 2048
- Journey
- Everybody's Golf 6 / Hot Shots Golf
- Super Stardust: Delta
- Unit 13
- Starhawk
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
- Jak & Daxter Collection
- MotorStorm RC
- The Unfinished Swan
- Sound Shapes
- Escape Plan
- Tokyo Jungle
- Sports Champions 2
- Sorcery
- Twisted Metal
- Ratchet & Clank HD Trilogy
- Jak & Daxter HD Trilogy
- ModNation Racers: Road Trip
- Little Deviants
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force

I'm playing PS All Stars Battle Royale right now; it's amazing. ^.^

LordofPwn

anyone else expecting a GT7 trailer

it's a toss up. could see it more at gamescom than anything else. GT is huge over there. but as i've said before i think they should tease things that they'll show off at Gamescom and TGS. Like a logo trailer and release window and then actually show gameplay at the more appropriate shows

Sid

I wouldn't say they have a 2 or 3 year cycle. They're pretty consistent I think.

And no Gamescom is not a bigger deal for them. E3 is the most publicized event of the year within video games, of course that's more important for the big publishers.

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Wipeout 2048
- Journey
- Everybody's Golf 6 / Hot Shots Golf
- Super Stardust: Delta
- Unit 13
- Starhawk
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
- Jak & Daxter Collection
- MotorStorm RC
- The Unfinished Swan
- Tokyo Jungle
- Sports Champions 2
- Sorcery
- Twisted Metal
- Ratchet & Clank HD Trilogy
- Jak & Daxter HD Trilogy

Please read the comment to which I was replying to,most of the games you listed were not made/re-released by their first party studios

Did they lose the marketing or MS didn't want to pay the money?

I find the latter narrative that they somehow no longer wanted COD laughable. COD has become so intrinsically linked with XB as a platform that when they debuted the XBox One Call Of Duty had it's own slot in that presentation. Yet somehow, if the rumor is confirmed, MS suddenly decided they don't want the exclusive marketing? If they have lost the marketing here's my theories as to why.

1. Activision saw that despite XB exclusive marketing both COD Ghosts and AW sold more on PS4 worldwide and offered Sony the Marketing rights.

2. Activision adjusted the price for exclusive marketing for XB to compensate for the losses they'd incur by selling exclusive dlc to a smaller audience first and XB *division* couldn't afford it.

3. Activision wants that worldwide PS4 install base and decided to market the game themselves for fear of a backlash but make the PS4 the lead console platform.

Taking into account everything I've seen recently, that tweet from Phil Spencer about "focusing on first party" @E3. Or perhaps more importantly how 95% of multiplats have PS4 marketing I personally think this XB new focus on first party is because third party devs and publishers are going where the larger instal base is. And as a result, MS has little third party content to showcase.

Yes ms has The Witcher 3 and The Division but those marketing deals were signed before this generation started to play out as it has been. I'm not sure about recent ips like Mad Max and Just Cause 3 but I'd be willing to bet they have exclusive PS4 content too.

thuway

I find the latter narrative that they somehow no longer wanted COD laughable. COD has become so intrinsically linked with XB as a platform that when they debuted the XBox One Call Of Duty had it's own slot in that now infamous presentation. Yet somehow, if the rumor is confirmed, MS suddenly decided they don't want the exclusive marketing? If they have lost the marketing here's my theories as to why.

Or maybe it was time to roll the dice? Perhaps Microsoft is confident the consumer relationship Xbox and Call of Duty have is strong enough to endure a PS4 DLC/marketing contract. It's a bold move if true, but the effects could be negligble or profound depending on just how long the DLC contract actually is.

Sid

My perfect E3 conference would open with an Uncharted,a 'souls' game in the middle and end with a God of War,2009 was damn close

thuway

My perfect E3 conference would open with an Uncharted followed by a 'souls' game in the middle and end with a God of War,2009 was damn close

:'( , I remember marking out so hard for that ending stretch of The Agent, Gran Turismo, The Last Guardian, and God of War. It was glorious.

Lucreto

I find the latter narrative that they somehow no longer wanted COD laughable. COD has become so intrinsically linked with XB as a platform that when they debuted the XBox One Call Of Duty had it's own slot in that presentation. Yet somehow, if the rumor is confirmed, MS suddenly decided they don't want the exclusive marketing? If they have lost the marketing here's my theories as to why.

1. Activision saw that despite XB exclusive marketing both COD Ghosts and AW sold more on PS4 worldwide and offered Sony the Marketing rights.

2. Activision adjusted the price for exclusive marketing for XB to compensate for the losses they'd incur by selling exclusive dlc to a smaller audience first and XB *division* couldn't afford it.

3. Activision wants that worldwide PS4 install base and decided to market the game themselves for fear of a backlash but make the PS4 the lead console platform.

Taking into account everything I've seen recently, that tweet from Phil Spencer about "focusing on first party" @E3. Or perhaps more importantly how 95% of multiplats have PS4 marketing I personally think this XB new focus on first party is because third party devs and publishers are going where the larger instal base is. And as a result, MS has little third party content to showcase.

Yes ms has The Witcher 3 and The Division but those marketing deals were signed before this generation started to play out as it has been. I'm not sure about recent ips like Mad Max and Just Cause 3 but I'd be willing to bet they have exclusive PS4 content too.

4. They got the Rock Band 4 marketing instead. :p 10 minutes of people playing plastic instruments.

Mad Max was at Sony's E3 last year so they would have the marketing.

Adachi

Banned
If the "hats" are really just exclusive DLC then that's super boring, if they are moneyhatting something they could at least make the whole game a (timed) exclusive, then we'd at least get a decent internet meltdown, assuming it's a bigger game.

Still expecting GT for PS4 and Horizon at the conference, plus the already announced Level 5 RPG, so there'll surely be a lot of cool stuff, even though there's some doubt going around right now. Lol

Or maybe it was time to roll the dice? Perhaps Microsoft is confident the consumer relationship Xbox and Call of Duty have is strong enough to endure a PS4 DLC/marketing contract. It's a bold move if true, but the effects could be negligble or profound depending on just how long the DLC contract actually is.

True. For now it's just all speculation but it's tweets like this from Phil Spencer that make me think that the XB division budget is an issue.

Jy11C1P.jpg

If the "hats" are really just exclusive DLC then that's super boring, if they are moneyhatting something they could at least make the whole game a (timed) exclusive, then we'd at least get a decent internet meltdown, assuming it's a bigger game.

Still expecting GT for PS4 and Horizon at the conference, plus the already announced Level 5 RPG, so there'll surely be a lot of cool stuff, even though there's some doubt going around right now. Lol

Horizon seems to be what they need urgently for the conference.
Level 5 seems to be a better fit for TGS or GamesCom.
GT leaves me cold. Project cars looks so good that this would be just another car-driving-game.

Thinking on it Sony profits are up and the business is compressing, with the Gaming business being the top focus for the business now. So basically, they went full circle back to 2000 when the Playstation division at one point was 60% of the whole of Sony.

Which means, they have a ton more money to throw around for everything involving gaming. Thats first party productions, third party collaborations, exclusives, marketing, research and development for future products and various other things. So, " lots of hats " is not surprising to me.

I'm most looking forward to what Level 5 has in store for the PS4. Outside of things we already know about.

thuway

Lol what value does the deal add to her gaming experience?

People have teams they root for. Trying to dissect psychology or devalue someone's investment in a brand is silly. The console war is a meta game in and of itself. Besides, if you want enthusiasm at it's finest, I suggest you talk to any Chelsea fan. :)

What's silly about studying one manifestation of human psychology?

person buys expensive product
person likes expensive product
person defends expensive product in competitive market

not much to dissect really. add 20 years of brand history with some people, and you have the making of a " console warrior "

Chobel

LOL, MS is not in a position to feel confident.

thuway

LOL, MS is not in a position to feel confident.
I am not implying Microsoft is confident in Xbox One or treating COD complicitly. I am merely suggesting they are "confident" in the relationship the Xbox consumers and the COD brand have garnered over the years. Enough at least to withstand a DLC parternship with the competition.

What's silly about studying one manifestation of human psychology?

You got me, I kind of learned to accept people will treat E3 like a Superbowl game. I'm not a big sports fan, but I've been around enough to see just how emotional people can get about something they have no control over. I think its absolutely healthy as long as isn't affecting their day to day interactions with people.

Yeah. I would say Gamescom feels more 'fresh' for Sony, because it's their defacto show where they get to play to their unique strengths, and SCEE is simply way better at pacing than SCEA, but E3 is still the bigger show for Sony.

Where was Bloodborne announced? E3. Ratchet? E3. Official unveil of Uncharted 4? E3. No Man's Sky (maybe timed) exclusivity? E3. LBP3? E3.

The stuff announced at Gamescom stick to the mind more because they're often times unique, but when you list them out, stuff like Until Dawn, Rime, Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Rapture, etc are games that are lower in the 'SCE Marketing Budget' list compared to the stuff they announce at E3.

*list of gaems*

Don't you know Vita hasnogaems? /s

Adachi

Banned
Horizon seems to be what they need urgently for the conference.
Level 5 seems to be a better fit for TGS or GamesCom.
GT leaves me cold. Project cars looks so good that this would be just another car-driving-game.

Yeah, I'm really interested in Horizon, hope it turns out well
Really depends on the game Level 5 is making, considering that they are revealing it at E3 I'd say that they are making the game with a global audience in mind, so E3 might be the place to go.
And I'm not a Gran Turismo guy either, but you can't deny the popularity of that franchise, having that at E3 this year would mean a lot, even more if they magically managed to get the game out by christmas.

For me Bloodborne DLC and a western Persona 5 release date that's 2015 (Atlus said they had an RPG to show at E3 right?) are also things I'm hoping for.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
person buys expensive product
person likes expensive product
person defense expensive product in competitive market

not much to dissect really. add 20 years of brand history with some people, and you have the making of a " console warrior "
As if human psychology was so easy with no complications.

If you don't think that there is any value in looking at the motivations behind people's statement or just let everything said stand unchallenged then be my guest.

Just don't call it silly.

Portugeezer

True. For now it's just all speculation but it's tweets like this from Phil Spencer that make me think that the XB division budget is an issue.

Jy11C1P.jpg
I guess it is speculation... but the press was playing it on PS4's, albeit, it was a private event so maybe they chose their best version to show. Strange nonetheless.

Lol what value does the deal add to her gaming experience?
Maybe she reaaally wants the DLC early.

thuway

Yeah, I'm really interested in Horizon, hope it turns out well
Really depends on the game Level 5 is making, considering that they are revealing it at E3 I'd say that they are making the game with a global audience in mind, so E3 might be the place to go.
And I'm not a Gran Turismo guy either, but you can't deny the popularity of that franchise, having that at E3 this year would mean a lot, even more if they magically managed to get the game out by christmas.

For me Bloodborne DLC and a western Persona 5 release date that's 2015 (Atlus said they had an RPG to show at E3 right?) are also things I'm hoping for.

Atlus is confirming a game for E3? So that means we could potentially have an Atlus game, a Level 5 game, and a Square JRPG all in Sony's conference :)?!

Adachi

Banned
Thinking on it Sony profits are up and the business is compressing, with the Gaming business being the top focus for the business now. So basically, they went full circle back to 2000 when the Playstation division at one point was 60% of the whole of Sony.

Which means, they have a ton more money to throw around for everything involving gaming. Thats first party productions, third party collaborations, exclusives, marketing, research and development for future products and various other things. So, " lots of hats " is not surprising to me.

I'm most looking forward to what Level 5 has in store for the PS4. Outside of things we already know about.

Yeah over the next years Playstations budget should see a decent growth (unless they fuck up with Morpheus and it turns into a huge money sink), I hope some of that growth will be reflected in their studios as well, so games getting higher budgets and maybe a new AAA studio being added to Sonys Worldwide Studios.

Circinus

Gaming business is not their top focus. Being a conglomerate, they have a variety of core businesses (mostly electronics and entertainment)

Also, there's no way that PlayStation has ever been 60% of Sony. (whether you look at number of employees / size or revenue or profit) Show me the receipts, because that sounds incredibly unlikely.

Also no, companies always want return of investment, it isn't jusy throwing money around.

Adachi

Banned
Atlus is confirming a game for E3? So that means we could potentially have an Atlus game, a Level 5 game, and a Square JRPG all in Sony's conference :)?!
Well honestly I have no idea if they'll be at any conference, but I read that they're bringing a PS4 RPG to E3 among others.

http://personacentral.com/atlus-to-show-off-a-playstation-4-rpg-at-e3-2015/

Are you talking about an announced Square RPG or a new one? Haven't heard anything about that, especially since Square now has their own conference.

thuway

Well honestly I have no idea if they'll be at any conference, but I read that they're bringing a PS4 RPG to E3 among others.

http://personacentral.com/atlus-to-show-off-a-playstation-4-rpg-at-e3-2015/

Are you talking about an announced Square RPG or a new one? Haven't heard anything about that, especially since Square now has their own conference.

I just imagine Square Enix will show up with some video clips of Star Ocean, Kindom Hearts, or FFV to E3. The hunger for a true next gen JRPG (and no I don't count Type-0) is at a fever pitch. It's an easy crowd pleaser to show off.

thuway!

Good grief! I am new here but would like to say a huge thank you for all your insight and info you have provided. I had to do a double take!

But back to the topic lol If it's a destiny type dlc deal I predict a few meltdowns. If it's a month or so then I honestly don't see the point in it.

Adachi

Banned
I just imagine Square Enix will show up with some video clips of Star Ocean, Kindom Hearts, or FFV to E3. The hunger for a true next gen JRPG (and no I don't count Type-0) is at a fever pitch. It's an easy crowd pleaser to show off.

They can always throw the PC version of FF VIII on the PS4, that should definitely get some reactions. :D

thuway

thuway!

Good grief! I am new here but would like to say a huge thank you for all your insight and info you have provided. I had to do a double take!

But back to the topic lol If it's a destiny type dlc deal I predict a few meltdowns. If it's a month or so then I honestly don't see the point in it.

I am no one worth admiring. I am a punished parrot and forever branded. Your heroes are in another castle.

On topic:
I don't think this will be a Destiny type DLC offering - for one explicit reason- COD makes too much money on Xbox as a brand. I can imagine DLC exclusivity for a few weeks, a "the only place for 1080p/60 fps" statement, and some random skins/guns- and that's it.

They can always throw the PC version of FF VIII on the PS4, that should definitely get some reactions. :D

As dumb as this sounds, and Duckroll shut me up about this once- I think it would be really cool for Square Enix to go back to the vault and find unreleased JRPGs like Terranigma, or the last Seiken Denetsu on SNES--- and port them over to the Vita/PS4. It would be a megaton for someone like me. #BUILDTHELIST :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom