• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA lets slip: 19 million Xbox One units sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

neclas

Xbox One: ~19 million units
Playstation 4: ~36 million units

Lifetime Xbox One sales have reached 19 million units—at least if EA's CFO is to believed. During a financial call last night, Blake Jorgensen said the combined install base of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 had hit an estimated 55 million units, a mere two years into the life of the current generation.

While Microsoft has long stopped reporting on the absolute number of Xboxes sold, Sony continues to push out its own figures. Most recently, Sony revealed it has sold an impressive 35.9 million PS4s, which—when deducted from EA's 55 million figure—leaves around 19 million units for the Xbox One.

Source: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/01/ea-lets-slip-lifetime-xbox-one-and-ps4-consoles-sales/

Squalor

19 million consoles sold at this point sounds pretty damn successful to me.
Not when your competitor is sitting at a 1.8:1 ratio that's constantly growing.

We can sit here and compare this generation to the last all we want, but the Xbox One isn't competition against the PlayStation 3 or the Xbox 360.

Toxi

Banned
Not when your competitor is sitting at a 1.8:1 ratio that's constantly growing.

We can sit here and compare this generation to the last all we want, but the Xbox One isn't competition against the PlayStation 3 or the Xbox 360.
Money is money. The competition aspect matters mostly to the internet dweebs like us. Could MS be more successful? Yes. Does that means they're unhappy with 19 million units sold? Probably not.

I think in terms of the initial reaction of the Xbox One, that's a pretty damn good turn around.

God knows how much they've made with that, XBL Gold monies and there share of game monies.

Kerm 1

I hope the gap widens further. Perhaps that will encourage Microsoft to release a properly powered console sooner rather than later. That's assuming it's fully BC with the Xbone of course.

Lyriell

The healthier all console makers are the better off we all are.

Let's not focus on sales differences between platforms in a fanboy like manner and instead wish everyone more sales.

Curufinwe

Money is money. The competition aspect matters mostly to the internet dweebs like us. Could MS be more successful? Yes. Does that means they're unhappy with 19 million units sold? Probably not.

If they were happy with it they would release their own sales numbers.

I highly doubt they're 'happy' being outsold nearly 2:1.

There's a reason Microsoft hasn't been giving out XB1 numbers.

Lyriell

I hope the gap widens further. Perhaps that will encourage Microsoft to release a properly powered console sooner rather than later. That's assuming it's fully BC with the Xbone of course.

Or, you know... it might encourage them to leave the market which would be bad.

Madness

Or they decide the home console market just isn't worth it and leave altogether.

Also, it's just the way the industry is. All console makers have gone for low end specs this gen. I doubt they really want to go for the days of cutting edge high end specs again, especially when consumers only expect $299-$399 price points.

Squalor

Except they aren't happy, so your point is invalid.

I'm guessing the software sales mirror this too so you can see why Dec's and publishers are happy to take the sony "money hats" is what the Internet calls it, right?

So games should be selling twice as much on ps4 dang what a flip flop this gen

Great numbers by Sony but nearly 10 million a year ain't terrible by any stretch

Papacheeks

Banned
Or, you know... it might encourage them to leave the market which would be bad.
Or would it? instead of them making a box, maybe all their IP's and properties come to the windows ecosystem.
Imagine the next halo on PC. Mind=Blown.
Imagine gears of war running on Unreal 4 DX12. I would jizz all over my screen.

Nintendo would be able to pick up the slack, and from the ashes of microsoft, my pipe dream of Sega getting back in the ring would come true!!!.
In all seriousness, they are looking at the numbers for sure, but since it's out pacing 360 during the same time period I think for the most part it's something that is manageable. They wouldn't have opened so many new studios lately without thinking ahead.

The xbox brand will stick around, it just may or may not have a actual dedicated hardware.

The healthier all console makers are the better off we all are.

Let's not focus on sales differences between platforms in a fanboy like manner and instead wish everyone more sales.

I do think it's interesting to understand the why in this situation.

It's a costly lesson for Microsoft that ignoring and insulting your market to pursue bigger more lucrative ones can backfire badly.

Lettuce

19 mil is pretty good, but the PS4 figure is just ridiculous. In any other situation 19 mil would be a winning figure....just not in this case

Lyriell

I do think it's interesting to understand the why in this situation.

It's a costly lesson for Microsoft that ignoring and insulting your market to pursue bigger more lucrative ones can backfire badly.

I think the why is well known by now.

That being said, I would have really liked not to have to swap my discs in all the time.

Damn. Xbox really is only truly successful here in the states now.

As someone who owns both, I think the XB1 has had better exclusives (if you're not on PC) than PS4. The PS4 plays Multiplats better, but it's not enough to make up for what I feel are better exclusives.

GWG has been better than PS+ too? Maybe?

GWG: Rayman, Massive Chalice, Ground Zeroes, TONS of 360 games
PS+: Rocket League, Injustice, Ground Zeroes, Infamous FL, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy... I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two from both lists that I liked a lot.

EA Access is amazing too. I randomly had it for two months to play Battlefield 4 and Madden 15 before 16 came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom