• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

Boke1879

Ugh, as lame as this sounds, that bolded part in the OP has me just as depressed as knowing folks lost their jobs. And what market research/testing? Nobody ever asked ME. :(

Mass market. Your average consumer is the reason why publisher are going with a GaaS model for theirl games.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Now I'm worried about Bioware, Respawn and Criterion. Although one could argue Criterion has been dead for a long time now.
Bioware is making a game that from a concept standpoint is pretty much guaranteed to sell copies.

For as much shit I give Ubisoft, at least they aren't as bad as EA when it comes to managing their properties.

EA is just the worst of the fucking worst.

Marcel

Now I'm worried about Bioware, Respawn and Criterion. Although one could argue Criterion has been dead for a long time now.

EA is committed to a Titanfall 3 apparently. Now if THAT fails then you should expect Respawn to go into the EA mass grave.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

BioWare is EA's Rare. It lives on in name only.

I think Respawn still has another chance, but they're probably fucked as well.

Crawl

This closure makes me wonder what will happen to the future of Dragon Age 4. Does dragon age now have to have loot boxes or some persistent online world?

This is what "Games as a Service" has wrought. You know it's truly a blight when an industry once capable of regularly delivering compelling single-player content now shifts away from it almost entirely.

Screw this wretched trend, and screw the (apparently) hundreds of thousands players who addictively lap it up without realizing they've been manipulated into drinking poison designed to separate them from their money both regularly and impulsively.

I'm not sure there are any ways left for this industry to disappoint me.

TreIII

Like I was saying in the other thread...even as a guy who was more into the prospect for Respawn and Stig's game than I was Hennig and Visceral's, this is just sad.

Probably the only saving grace for Respawn and Stig is that there was likely going to be Jedi/Sith action game that was going to have a multiplayer segment that ties into EA's wishes, anyway, instead of needing to be "re-branded" to fit their scope.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Dead Space 1 and 2 were amazing horror action games. Loved them both. Of course, EA made the franchise into a coop dudebro shooter with microtransactions. It killed the series. Shock.

Z3M0G

This sucks... hard... but I was surprised by all the Dead Space sorrow... I didn't realize a 4th game was even anticipated. Were there rumors of one?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This closure makes me wonder what will happen to the future of Dragon Age 4. Does dragon age now have to have loot boxes or some persistent online world?
It'll likely stay the same, base game, with story expansions releasing overtime.

Think about this. Every large scale single player game you can think of is 1st party only or Bethesda (who after recent sales failures I can assure you are changing their model)

You have a Witcher icon and you couldn't think of that, which doesn't fall into either? =P

Was trying to think of major publishers and what single-player games are upcoming. There's only really Sony with Days Gone, TLOU2, Detroit, God of War and Spider Man that seem to be interested in making them these days. Very sad for people that want that kind of experience. Bethesda have released several this gen too but to varying degrees of success.

Yeah, as much as I love Sony as a publisher (we also got Horizon Zero Dawn this year) for these kinds of experiences, they're really standing on their own surrounded by the GAAS models and lootboxes and microtransactions where they just don't need to be.

If you're annoyed about the loss of story driven AAA experiences, just remember, this is where the microtransactions led. You can't monetise AAA stories, you can monetise coloured armour and pay to win boxes. This was inevitable.

strafer

This sucks... hard... but I was surprised by all the Dead Space sorrow... I didn't realize a 4th game was even anticipated. Were there rumors of one?

Nah, they just said they hadn't forgotten the Dead Space series and its near and dear to them and would love to do another, no game was in development.

kurahador

EA is committed to a Titanfall 3 apparently. Now if THAT fails then you should expect Respawn to go into the EA mass grave.

Respawn isn't under EA I think. I'm guessing they'll go the Ninja Theory route if EA drops them.

Wow they basically said fuck single players only games.

Yeah...it's like they didn't even look at Battlefront player numbers. Fuck you EA!!!!!!

HardRojo

The thought of finally getting an Uncharted quality game based on the Star Wars IP was the main point of interest for me, if this won't be that kind of game anymore then I don't give a shit, I hardly play MP games other than Fighting games and we already got several MP focused games...

Gartooth

AAA single players games are basically dead, right?

Sony and Nintendo are really the last ones still keeping it together.

RDR2 is a big one but I can see it being the last single player heavy Rockstar game after the success of GTA Online. Bethesda is sticking in there too but a lot of their single player games haven't done too hot...

Kaizer

Banned
I don't like the sounds of the "revamp" for Amy Henning's Star Wars game. Sounds to me like they're saying, "yeah we need to put more loot boxes in it & not make it a mostly SP game". Ugh.......

Gamezone

Gold Member
EA and Star Wars has been such as mess. One terrible Battlefront to this point. Where are all the cool titles?

Tiktaalik

... listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.

Yeah basically linear, story driven AAA games are dead and every game needs to be a "platform" now. Welp!

jelly

Respawn have a deal with EA, they don't own them. Respawn are safe as long as they can fund games themselves or with whoever.

kmax

It's all about loot boxes, online connectivity and microtransactions now.

I can see the corporations salivating.

Xiao Hu

Respawn is a private company. EA has nothing to say about their where-abouts except if they're equity partners/Respawn's investors.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
And where is the evidence that she told EA to cancel the game?
What? That's stupid, I'm just popping in to say that it's not entirely unfair to bring her name up here. Obviously EA is the one now calling all the shots, but we all the probable downsides that would come from giving an exclusive license to EA.

yuraya

Whats with all these hot takes of GAAS = PUBG/Destiny?

Anthem is already acting as EA's Destiny. Why do they need another? And how would PUBG Star Wars even work?

Because those type of games bring hundreds of millions for a very long time. Those singleplayer games will sell 3-4 million copies and they are pretty much dead. Meanwhile PUBG, Destiny, FIFA, and the Battlefronts of the world continue reeling in $$$ through microtransactions, lootboxes, full priced expansions etc. Every big publisher is going to position themselves to have a large library of GaaS games. Its gonna be the most profitable approach in the coming years.

MikeBison

Still don't know why focus so much on it being 'Amy Hennigs' game. She is one person. Much more concerning is an entire, very talented studio now needing to look for work and some great franchises either dead or will have to be made by other studios.

I mean, how are we going to get a futurecopLAPD sequel now?

I swear to god if EA shuts down Criterion one day, I will never buy an EA game ever again, or at the very least, I will buy it used so they don't profit from me.

Aters

Even Nintendo's lastest two shiny ips are multiplayer based games-as-a-service wannabe, though.

Yeah. Look at Switch's lineup: Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon. Nintendo is riding the GaaS train high, and will be even higher when they release Smash.

Sony is the only one left behind, and I'm afraid they are gonna pay for it.

Top Bottom