• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

early Man of Steel impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
when a director becomes too succesful, a purging backlash is inevitable and natural.

It's just that the more people see their films, and the more films they make, the more obvious their flaws are.

Some people blow those flaws out of proportion, but whaddya gonna do?

I love how NeoGAF suddenly did a 180 on Nolan.

I don't think it was SUDDEN, although it definitely reached critical mass around last July/August.

Htown said:
It's just that the more people see their films, and the more films they make, the more obvious their flaws are.

Some people blow those flaws out of proportion, but whaddya gonna do?

Exactly. Basically, after Inception - people started really piecing together the shortcoming's in Nolan's storytelling. You could draw direct lines from weak spots in movies like Insomnia and Dark Knight and Prestige.

At which point, criticism became shorthand, shorthand became memes, and even people WITH valid complaints about Nolan's storytelling (needless plot complications, empty female characters, unclear action) ended up having their insights homogenized and used as brickbats by others.

i'll put it in spoiler as well, but really, unless you're super sensitive, you should be okay with reading my post, it's like a meta² spoiler
he's talking about something that is not in the movie

I'm really not sure how people can consider this MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER.

Yeah it's really not that big a deal I thought it was a huge easter egg leading to a sequel or something.

It was more in response to what was deemed Nolans blind following. The praising became loud, so the detractors had to become louder. Genuine discussion was always lost in the shitdump that was the threads.

Hell check out the Effects thread, people are blaming Nolan for the special effects lol

It was more in response to what was deemed Nolans blind following. The praising became loud, so the detractors had to become louder. Genuine discussion was always lost in the shitdump that was the threads.

Yeah, that's also an aspect: There's a fair amount of people who's awakening to the deeper aspects of storytelling in film came hand-in-hand with their viewing of films like Inception and Dark Knight. You always fall in love with your first, right? So you had a bunch of over-enthusiastic people who suddenly thought just because they know a little something, they know a LOT, and are eager as hell to proselytize about it.

Those guys caught in a feedback loop with the guys who have now only been conditioned to knee-jerk react to a checklist of Nolan negatives? Tough place to be in if you actually just wanna talk about a movie.

I saw this about two weeks ago, by accident pretty much. Had to sacrifice a sneak peek at something else, but glad to say I don't regret it. I'll keep my impressions as spoiler free as possible.

I'm not a comic fan just so you know. My exposure to Superman is from the original Donner movies, then the Justice League cartoons. Also, he's still a pussy, This movie doesn't change that!

The movie is good, and entertaining. I don't think I'll use hyperbole of calling it the best movie of the year two months in, but it's a top five, if not top three, superhero movie. I imagine Superman fans are going to really love this, unless somehow people don't like this characterisation of Clark Kent/Superman. Which if you don't, then I don't know what to say. I think this is the best live action version of Superman and it does a great job of making him feel relatable. Just so you know, I consider Batman Begins the cream of the crop and the best superhero movie.

For fans of the Nolan Batman trilogy, you'll take to this quite quickly, like I did. It has a very similar feel to a Nolan movie. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since Nolan was involved, but I thought his involvement wasn't that great supposedly. Either way, it does genuinely feel similar in style when it comes to the storytelling. The one it holds most similarity to is Batman Begins. Not too much of a surprise since it's also an origin story, but it's also tightly told which is the key point. It doesn't move as swiftly as Batman Begins did, but it's still really nicely paced. Like Batman Begins, it's a reserved and more character focused tale, but it also has comic elements. I'd say it's just slightly less serious/grounded than that movie.

The story is simple, and executed better for it. You're basically presented Clark Kent as a boy/man going through changes and having an internal conflict about his identity. This character arc has a two step resolution.
The first is him coming to terms with his role as a potential protector of humanity, a conflict fueled by various events in his life, which brings us the first amazing and climactic point of the movie with the birth of Superman. The second is the reality of the existence of Superman on humanity and him coming to peace with what that means for him and how he is perceived. This obviously brings us the major climax of the movie, supported by an ass whooping.

The action is great in the movie. There is fair bit of it. It feels like The Matrix. By that, I mean it's quite over the top. This is good because it's Superman. There are a lot of little touches that are shown by Henry Cavill which give more gravitas to the vulnerability of Superman. Moments where he's shaken or staggered. They're just cool moments. The action is both slow and fast which gives an effect of something superhuman occurring. In terms of action,
there are about four major setpieces. Then there are a lot of little action moments in between.
It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action. There is one moment near the end where you will go, this is fucking Superman. It's basically the climactic moment. I'll have to re-watch Avengers, but I think I enjoyed the action in this movie more than any other superhero movie because it just had a lot of weight behind it.

You want Superman to succeed.

Henry Cavill is Superman to me now. I like his take on the character. I don't really care necessarily how Superman/Clark Kent is in the comics. But Henry has a really good performance and brings a new Superman for the modern era. One who is powerful, strong, and inhumane in ability, yet also relatable and earns our sympathy. Also, he looks so much more awesome with the beard. It would be amazing having a Superman with a beard. Let him be clean shaven as Clark Kent, but then when he goes all manly and turns into Superman, he grows a beard instantly too. You get used to seeing Cavill without the beard, but it's so weird. Like he was born to have that beard.

Also, damn Zod is badass. Too badass. He comes out with some next level quotes. I don't even--

The weakest aspect of this movie is the Lois Lane/Clark Kent/Superman relationship. I don't think Amy Adams turned in a bad performance, but in a movie which is quite tight and focused, this aspect was the weakest link. It kind of sticks out. The character on her own is fine, and her little crew are a very pleasant addition, but I think they could've stopped going Hollywood and left a little of the relationship development to a second movie.

Supporting cast is strong. Kevin Costner is really cool. The My-Cocaine of this movie. He's not in it very long, but maybe I like those father figure characters. Also, Morpheus being all Morpheus and being pretty cool again.

The music is very nice. At times slow and emotional, and at others sweeping and epic. The new theme is good. Different, but good. It fits the Man of Steel.

I think I chose to compare this to Batman Begins for a few reasons. It feels similar, it's also character focused, and it does a fantastic job of making you anticipate the next movie. There is a nice blend of serious character focus, and lighthearted humour in the movie. The villains for the sequel are somewhat hinted, and this is a really strong first outing. I'm definitely curious to see what happens with the sequel. They could make an amazing movie like The Dark Knight, or like Iron Man 2, turn out a pile of crap after a solid first movie. Who knows, but as it stands, there will be hyperbole when people see this move. I'm sure of it. That's because it's good, and one of the best superhero movies. More importantly, it's brought Superman from being that little pussy who is always in the shadow of the Goddamn Batman, to more of an equal standing.

Also, MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT READ UNLESS YOUR HEART IS READY BECAUSE YOU MAY REGRET:

There is no JGL in this movie. The most relief I've experienced when watching a movie. Why? Because fuck John Blake. He's a shit character. Those rumours had me very wary.

I think Warner Bros. has a hit on its hands. I don't think another billion grossing movie is out of the question if word of mouth is good like I think it will be. If this movie bombs, we may as well not bother with Superman in the future. This is pretty much as good as it gets for a foundation laying movie.

Also, I am more convinced now than ever that WB should not focus on the Justice League.

Batman and Superman is where it's at. Do not waste time with the others. It's time to reboot Batman and bring a team-up movie with these two. The universe of Man of Steel has a nice mix of fantastical elements that we could get Batman with his full rogue gallery in it. This movie would be ridiculously huge. Most importantly, with a Batman/Superman movie, you can still bring what both Batman Begins and Man of Steel do better than any other superhero movie, which is earning your emotional engagement. There is a chance of a great movie with a solid story and some amazing action.

I will begin hoping now.

Sound pretty great.

Regarding the blacked out MAJOR SPOILER in that cold-read reaction:

That John Blake didn't show up in a post credits stinger, or even as a quick scene tagged at the end of the movie proper, doesn't necessarily mean it still isn't planned: Sometimes those things are withheld from preview screenings specifically. Or in the case of the Avengers and the Shawarma scene, aren't even SHOT until just before prints/DCPs are about to be cloned and shipped out to theaters.

That's not to say it's absence means nothing. That rumor could have been, in fact, nothing but a rumor.

Yeah, it not a spoiler whatsoever, more like an anti-spoiler. Thought it was going to be something amazing like
the shadows of the justice league members appear after the credits
, but nah.
As someone who has worked a little with DC lately, not having too much exposure to its vast history before, and now having a really good time discovering it im pretty hypes for the man of steel.
I really, really want that after the credits they hint the justice league in some form.

DieH@rd

Banned
I saw this about two weeks ago, by accident pretty much. Had to sacrifice a sneak peek at something else, but glad to say I don't regret it. I'll keep my impressions as spoiler free as possible.

Thanks for the impressions. I will try to remain spoiler free for this movie. :D

After reading Verendus's post, I must say my hype for this movie is pretty much through the roof. Thanks for posting some solid thoughts on your early screening of the movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
Interesting all this attention to Nolan even though Snyder directed.

Anyway, more hype is fine for me!
As said before. Nolan will get all the fanboy credit if the movie delivers, Snyder will get all the blame if it does not.

Simo

I'm not a comic fan just so you know. My exposure to Superman is from the original Donner movies, then the Justice League cartoons. Also, he's still a pussy, This movie doesn't change that!

The movie is good, and entertaining. I don't think I'll use hyperbole of calling it the best movie of the year two months in, but it's a top five, if not top three, superhero movie. I imagine Superman fans are going to really love this, unless somehow people don't like this characterisation of Clark Kent/Superman. Which if you don't, then I don't know what to say. I think this is the best live action version of Superman and it does a great job of making him feel relatable. Just so you know, I consider Batman Begins the cream of the crop and the best superhero movie.

For fans of the Nolan Batman trilogy, you'll take to this quite quickly, like I did. It has a very similar feel to a Nolan movie. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since Nolan was involved, but I thought his involvement wasn't that great supposedly. Either way, it does genuinely feel similar in style when it comes to the storytelling. The one it holds most similarity to is Batman Begins. Not too much of a surprise since it's also an origin story, but it's also tightly told which is the key point. It doesn't move as swiftly as Batman Begins did, but it's still really nicely paced. Like Batman Begins, it's a reserved and more character focused tale, but it also has comic elements. I'd say it's just slightly less serious/grounded than that movie.

The story is simple, and executed better for it. You're basically presented Clark Kent as a boy/man going through changes and having an internal conflict about his identity. This character arc has a two step resolution.
The first is him coming to terms with his role as a potential protector of humanity, a conflict fueled by various events in his life, which brings us the first amazing and climactic point of the movie with the birth of Superman. The second is the reality of the existence of Superman on humanity and him coming to peace with what that means for him and how he is perceived. This obviously brings us the major climax of the movie, supported by an ass whooping.

The action is great in the movie. There is fair bit of it. It feels like The Matrix. By that, I mean it's quite over the top. This is good because it's Superman. There are a lot of little touches that are shown by Henry Cavill which give more gravitas to the vulnerability of Superman. Moments where he's shaken or staggered. They're just cool moments. The action is both slow and fast which gives an effect of something superhuman occurring. In terms of action,
there are about four major setpieces. Then there are a lot of little action moments in between.
It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action. There is one moment near the end where you will go, this is fucking Superman. It's basically the climactic moment. I'll have to re-watch Avengers, but I think I enjoyed the action in this movie more than any other superhero movie because it just had a lot of weight behind it.

You want Superman to succeed.

Henry Cavill is Superman to me now. I like his take on the character. I don't really care necessarily how Superman/Clark Kent is in the comics. But Henry has a really good performance and brings a new Superman for the modern era. One who is powerful, strong, and inhumane in ability, yet also relatable and earns our sympathy. Also, he looks so much more awesome with the beard. It would be amazing having a Superman with a beard. Let him be clean shaven as Clark Kent, but then when he goes all manly and turns into Superman, he grows a beard instantly too. You get used to seeing Cavill without the beard, but it's so weird. Like he was born to have that beard.

Also, damn Zod is badass. Too badass. He comes out with some next level quotes. I don't even--

The weakest aspect of this movie is the Lois Lane/Clark Kent/Superman relationship. I don't think Amy Adams turned in a bad performance, but in a movie which is quite tight and focused, this aspect was the weakest link. It kind of sticks out. The character on her own is fine, and her little crew are a very pleasant addition, but I think they could've stopped going Hollywood and left a little of the relationship development to a second movie.

Supporting cast is strong. Kevin Costner is really cool. The My-Cocaine of this movie. He's not in it very long, but maybe I like those father figure characters. Also, Morpheus being all Morpheus and being pretty cool again.

The music is very nice. At times slow and emotional, and at others sweeping and epic. The new theme is good. Different, but good. It fits the Man of Steel.

I think I chose to compare this to Batman Begins for a few reasons. It feels similar, it's also character focused, and it does a fantastic job of making you anticipate the next movie. There is a nice blend of serious character focus, and lighthearted humour in the movie. The villains for the sequel are somewhat hinted, and this is a really strong first outing. I'm definitely curious to see what happens with the sequel. They could make an amazing movie like The Dark Knight, or like Iron Man 2, turn out a pile of crap after a solid first movie. Who knows, but as it stands, there will be hyperbole when people see this move. I'm sure of it. That's because it's good, and one of the best superhero movies. More importantly, it's brought Superman from being that little pussy who is always in the shadow of the Goddamn Batman, to more of an equal standing.

Also, MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT READ UNLESS YOUR HEART IS READY BECAUSE YOU MAY REGRET:

There is no JGL in this movie. The most relief I've experienced when watching a movie. Why? Because fuck John Blake. He's a shit character. Those rumours had me very wary.

I think Warner Bros. has a hit on its hands. I don't think another billion grossing movie is out of the question if word of mouth is good like I think it will be. If this movie bombs, we may as well not bother with Superman in the future. This is pretty much as good as it gets for a foundation laying movie.

Also, I am more convinced now than ever that WB should not focus on the Justice League.

Batman and Superman is where it's at. Do not waste time with the others. It's time to reboot Batman and bring a team-up movie with these two. The universe of Man of Steel has a nice mix of fantastical elements that we could get Batman with his full rogue gallery in it. This movie would be ridiculously huge. Most importantly, with a Batman/Superman movie, you can still bring what both Batman Begins and Man of Steel do better than any other superhero movie, which is earning your emotional engagement. There is a chance of a great movie with a solid story and some amazing action.

I will begin hoping now.

Well all sounds awesome but...is this legit? Sorry, I only ask because given the "early screenings" and the likes of Nick Jones jr that others in the "biz" are calling BS it's hard to figure out whats real or not.

ReiGun

As said before. Nolan will get all the fanboy credit if the movie delivers, Snyder will get all the blame if it does not.
Yup. Been saying that from day one.

I don't see how Nolan could possibly get much credit or blame for this movie... At least none that could be taken seriously.

It's going to be a success though.

All the hype surrounding the movie as far as production as been due to Nolan's involvement -- "Superman gets the Nolan Treatment" and all that. Would not be surprised if most people don't even know Synder's directing.

Well all sounds awesome but...is this legit? Sorry, I only ask because given the "early screenings" and the likes of Nick Jones jr that others in the "biz" are calling BS it's hard to figure out whats real or not.

I doubt it, its all vague superflous gleaning you could get from the trailer. "The action is so slow... but fast" "the music tender but at times, epic" "the tone is serious but also comic-booky". It told us nothing.

BadAss2961

All the hype surrounding the movie as far as production as been due to Nolan's involvement -- "Superman gets the Nolan Treatment" and all that. Would not be surprised if most people don't even know Synder's directing.
Nolan's name carries a lot of weight and helps to market the film, but he has little to do with the movie itself.

Man of Steel will still have to be a pretty good movie for it to be the kind of success that people are hoping for.

So power suit? I guess ILM has some free time.

Luthor will most likely be in the next film, if there is one.

When i said "story of superman" I asumed superman was getting the batman treatment and would be given 3 films. Of course there can be a superman film without him, but Luthor not showing up at all would suck.

Cocaine

Banned
Post 3D conversion is the dumbest thing to happen to this movie.

How Christopher Nolan is allowing this to happen is beyond me. The guy is adamant about his 3D hatred.

I'd rather IMAX screenings.

I know the story won't be that great, but I think it'll be well acted and the action should be good.

Disappointing about CG cape. I just hope they don't go crazy with that. Some Visual Effects teams can make some pretty convincing stuff nowadays though.

Verendus's post has me masterbating furiously. I want to believe.

But then again, of course Snyder and Nolan team would make a fucking brilliant Superman film. I don't get the shock.

Sound pretty great.

Yeah, it not a spoiler whatsoever, more like an anti-spoiler. Thought it was going to be something amazing like
the shadows of the justice league members appear after the credits
, but nah.
As someone who has worked a little with DC lately, not having too much exposure to its vast history before, and now having a really good time discovering it im pretty hypes for the man of steel.
I really, really want that after the credits they hint the justice league in some form.

The absolute best thing they could do for an after the credits scene
Have Superman landing at his house/apartment whatever late on a cloudy night,
camera pans to a building across the street.
Dark silhouette on the roof.
Flash of lightning.
Batman

Verendus

Banned
Yup. Been saying that from day one.

To be fair, I think this kind of Superman wouldn't exist if not for the Nolan Batman trilogy. The existence and success of those movies certainly allowed a movie like this to happen. However, I don't think he will be given credit for this movie turning out like it is. I can see people saying it was influenced by and inspired by Nolan, but for the most part, I think credit will be given to the rightful people. That is the writing team and Zack Snyder.

The movie will come down to whether people like the character arc. A lot of the movie hinges on that. Whilst Zod is cool, he's a normal villain, and whilst there is a lot of good action, it's elevated by your investment in the character. If people like this version of Superman/Clark Kent, they will really like this movie.

For me, I'll be honest, I didn't have massive expectations. I had next to none. When I heard Snyder was directing, I wrote this movie off. My experience with him has been Dawn of the Dead , Watchmen, and Sucker Punch. And I really have a low opinion of Sucker Punch. When I saw the teaser, it built some good interest, but it didn't necessarily make me hyped.

To give an example, I had very high expectations of The Dark Knight Rises. There had been a set precedent of two great Batman movies. I felt TDKR should be the best one yet because it had enough elements for it to happen. But, whilst the movie was good, I'm extremely critical of it and still somewhat disappointed that there were some obvious mis-steps. So, I may not be as forgiving with that. With Man of Steel, I had no expectations. There hasn't been a Superman movie like this. And whilst the original Donner Superman is good, that was ages ago. This is, for all intents and purposes, the first Superman of its kind. Maybe that kind of expectation helps with the level of satisfaction too.

I certainly think this movie will benefit from the fact that there hasn't been a decent or good Superman movie in ages. Then the fact that they're using Nolans name, and it does feel similar to Batman Begins (or is that the colours?!), and there is potential there for this to be a solid foundation.

For me, the top tier of superhero movies is stuff like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. On the tier below it, you have stuff like X-Men 2 and Iron Man. Then below that come the average and crappy movies. Whilst it is tough for me to make a proper quality call on the movie off just one watch, and in an awkward environment on top of that, I think I can say it's on a similar tier to Iron Man and X-Men 2. I remember having a good impression of Iron Man, and I've seen X-Men 2 enough times to consider it a good superhero movie. Everyone has their preferred methods for watching a movie. Me, I prefer them at home. But, it's always a good thing if I leave a movie satisfied. I did leave satisfied with Man of Steel and thinking it was a good experience.

When I watch it on blu-ray in seven months time, it'll likely be a different experience and my opinion of it will be probably get stronger. I'll have a stronger eye for the flaws, and maybe, I'll really begin to hate that Lois Lane/Superman relationship aspect. But, I can't imagine it dropping from a good movie, to a crap movie. That is a little extreme.

It's always a silly idea to go into a movie with crazy levels of hype, I guess, but I don't think it's wrong of people to expect a good movie. I imagine there will be more positive than negative when it's all said and done. Batman Begins is an anomaly in my eyes. First movie in the franchise, and it sets an extremely high bar. I don't think it's fair to compare this to Begins in quality, in which case all superhero movies fall short, but it carries a similar atmosphere and a similar level of character drama.

It's a good foundation. If this movie clicks with you, then you'll rightfully be hyped about what the second movie will bring.

Brofield

• Screening was complete minus the 3D conversion with the finished score and somebody asked how it was and about the theme and he only replied with "2 words" Hans Zimmer" which again...good I guess?

No. Awful. Bad. Far from good.

I'm not even sure of a slightly catchy Batman theme that could have been somewhat serious used for TDK (NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA DARK KNIGHT!), but John Williams made the score right the first time.

This is as bad as those numbskulls who tried to 'change' the Harry Potter theme from the most recent of the films since John Williams was replaced/stepped down.

Because a Hans Zimmer score, while respectful for grand sweeping ambient sounds, is the absolute worst for themes.

Superheroes have themes, and require theme songs. I've been iffy on Zimmer since he was doing it, and this just reaffirms it.

The absolute best thing they could do for an after the credits scene
Have Superman landing at his house/apartment whatever late on a cloudy night,
camera pans to a building across the street.
Dark silhouette on the roof.
Flash of lightning.
Batman

This, however, I am totally okay with.

It's probably legit because focus test/early screening for summer movies are going on right now. I can't walk around the mall or campus without meeting someone giving out tickets to Summer flicks.

Simo

It's probably legit because focus test/early screening for summer movies are going on right now. I can't walk around the mall or campus without meeting someone giving out tickets to Summer flicks.

We've known they've screened the film since the beginning of February on the WB lot to friends, family and crew members along with some critics and a screening in London for crew members who worked on the FX. just wasn't familiar with Verendus or his past posts so I wasn't sure if it was legit or not given the only other person who's posted about attending a screening has been vague at best, like saying the score was a combination between Gladiator and Batman Begins and there's lots of action in it....

At least Verendus had a few more details that makes it sound credible and hopefully is true. Hopefully if WB is happy with how the screenings are going they'll actually begin to, you know, show us something...new poster, stills, TV spot...ANYTHING! lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No. Awful. Bad. Far from good.

I'm not even sure of a slightly catchy Batman theme that could have been somewhat serious used for TDK (NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA DARK KNIGHT!), but John Williams made the score right the first time.

This is as bad as those numbskulls who tried to 'change' the Harry Potter theme from the most recent of the films since John Williams was replaced/stepped down.

Because a Hans Zimmer score, while respectful for grand sweeping ambient sounds, is the absolute worst for themes.

Superheroes have themes, and require theme songs. I've been iffy on Zimmer since he was doing it, and this just reaffirms it.

This, however, I am totally okay with.

Gladiator, which this sounds like it is going to ape, has some of the most stirring and memorable themes in recent memory.

When did that happen? "Hedwig's Theme" carried over to every film after Williams stepped down.

The problem w/ keeping the Williams theme is that you can't move forward from it. IT absolutely ties you, cinematically, to the Donner films, including Superman Returns, which is a pseudo-sequel to a director's cut of a Donner film. Yeah, it might be the single best theme he ever created, and it absolutely is one of the most identifiable things about Superman at this point: But it had to be changed. The look had to be changed, the style had to be changed, and the music had to be changed.

I'm still nervous/apprehensive as to what Zimmer came up with, but going back to the Williams well for this film would have absolutely been the wrong call. The only way having Williams music would have worked would be to have asked Williams to write a completely new score, with a completely new theme.

Dommo

I've noticed this, too.

Why?

I can't speak for the rest but I think very highly of Nolan based on his previous work, but Rises was a pretty lame effort and deserves no more discussion or praise than an average Marvel film. So while I'm certainly not saying 'Nolan is a hack and I want to see him gone,' I am voicing my displeasure with him where I wouldn't have been doing so in 2008 or even 2010.

Cocaine

Banned
I can't speak for the rest but I think very highly of Nolan based on his previous work, but Rises was a pretty lame effort and deserves no more discussion or praise than an average Marvel film. So while I'm certainly not saying 'Nolan is a hack and I want to see him gone,' I am voicing my displeasure with him where I wouldn't have been doing so in 2008 or even 2010.

Exactly how I feel.

It's pretty sad how much truth there is in this post.

Are you serious? Just look at this thread, it's full of people just shitting on Nolan when he is barely involved in making the movie.

Any thread where Nolan is even mentioned is just filled with shit from people trying to make him out to be the biggest hack director of all time.

Why the hell is this thread all about Nolan anyway? It's a superman thread.

Edit: I have no problem with people not liking his movies, everyone's tastes vary. My problem is the way that discussion is always ruined by this same old crap in every thread. Makes it difficult to actually talk about his movies.

Action directors who use slo-mo frequently in their movies:

John McTiernan
James Cameron
Michael Bay
Edgar Wright
John Woo
Tony Scott
Ridley Scott
Peter Jackson
Sam Raimi
Kathryn Bigelow
Michael Mann