• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #243 - Halo 4

Dennis

Banned
Terrible month for games I see.

Halo 4......reborn..............really?

I am excited for the game but it definitely looks like more of the same.

Oxx

I remember in the pre-broadband age when waiting to read Edge's E3 write-ups was one of the highlights of the year in terms of videogame media.

It's not really the same these days.

Obviously not sure, but Dust 514 would be a good bet for the teaser. The phrase sounds similar to many that have been used in EVE promotional materials/trailers.

Zia

Gauge is a fantastic game.

Also, does EDGE not receive prerelease copies anymore? They're always way behind, even in comparison to other print mags. Guess maybe it's just their editorial schedule?

I remember in the pre-broadband age when waiting to read Edge's E3 write-ups was one of the highlights of the year in terms of videogame media.

It's not really the same these days.

Mmm, Edge's E3 articles on the press conferences were pretty great this year, and the first site to state how bad they really were.

From what we've seen I don't think it's more of the same. The atmosphere certainly makes this game feel more alive than its predecessors.

Detox

Have future said when print subscribers are going to get iPad access? I don't want to pay for it twice...

I don't think they will do that, the best we can hope for is a discount although I'm not sure if Future does that for their other magazines. I may cancel my subscription and go for the iPad one as it is cheaper.

Reclaimer

You are shooting guns at aliens. How different do you expect it to be.

"You are _________. How different do you expect it to be."

You could overgeneralize and say that kind of shit about anything. Halo, Mass Effect, Super Metroid, XCom, and Space Invaders are all games where you are "shooting guns at aliens", and are quite different.

If you are going to make cynical disparaging comments, at least be a bit more specific.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
They probably just love Halo and gush over it. They gave the series two 10s.

For the amount of stuff that is in the game, I probably would have as well. I think that we can go back and give games like Ocarina of Time a 10 until the world ends but Halo 1 and Halo 3 were 10's in their timeframe. When Halo 1 came out, it was far and away the best FPS game, it made everyone finally stop playing Goldeneye. Halo 3 was built to last, at least the framework of it all. Halo 3 is very feature rich. Not the greatest of stories but the gameplay is super fun and online was a blast and a great departure away from Halo 2 where if you didn't dual wield, you were dying. Both 10s, in my opinion were deserved, for that time period.

Not going at you, just talking aloud :)

EagleBurn

Banned
The Cortana flood level stands out as being particularly awful.

I have to agree that the Cortana mission has to be the worst in the series, but that was 1/9 missons. The campaign wasn't CE, but it was still a blast to play, especially 'The Storm' and 'The Covenant'.

TheOddOne

For the amount of stuff that is in the game, I probably would have as well. I think that we can go back and give games like Ocarina of Time a 10 until the world ends but Halo 1 and Halo 3 were 10's in their timeframe. When Halo 1 came out, it was far and away the best FPS game, it made everyone finally stop playing Goldeneye. Halo 3 was built to last, at least the framework of it all. Halo 3 is very feature rich. Not the greatest of stories but the gameplay is super fun and online was a blast and a great departure away from Halo 2 where if you didn't dual wield, you were dying. Both 10s, in my opinion were deserved, for that time period.

Not going at you, just talking aloud :)
Stop making sense, man.

Halo 3 had some fantastic open levels like "Tsavo Highway", "Floodgate", "The Ark" and "The Covenant".

see5harp

Reborn could also be a reference to the new development team. In the campaign, the new enemy types will certainly play a role in changing up encounters and making things fresh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I fail to see how Halo 4 is Halo reborn. It's not like Halo disappeared for 10 years, and now it's finally back. We had a Halo game 2 years ago.

Halo 3's campaign is one of the best.

It's really not. Halo 3's campaign is just kinda okay. it's better than Halo 2, so I guess that's saying something. It has 4 player, which is pretty cool, but I thought it was merely okay.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I fail to see how Halo 4 is Halo reborn. It's not like Halo disappeared for 10 years, and now it's finally back. We had a Halo game 2 years ago.
I think it's clear that though 343 is staying true to the feel of Halo they are taking the franchise in a direction that Bungie never would have on many levels.

Out of?

Halo CE campaign is superior. No bullshit evil plant, no pretentious alien politics, just a simple man vs the unknown story that works in favor of excellent and sandboxy gameplay.

Halo 3's encounters are far more dynamic and "sandboxy" than any found in Halo 1. When it comes to gameplay, Halo 3 stands head and shoulders above the rest.

dcBDF.jpg

60KM7.jpg

Half of Halo 1's campaign is an average to mediocre corridor shooter, and half of it repeats itself but worse (T&R -> Keyes, PoA -> The Maw). Halo 1 will always be better in certain ways – atmosphere, story – but Halo 1 is also outdated in some ways, like the very repetitive level design.

Overdoziz

Banned
Halo 3's encounters are far more dynamic and "sandboxy" than any found in Halo 1. When it comes to gameplay, Halo 3 stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Half of Halo 1's campaign is an average to mediocre corridor shooter, and half of it repeats itself but worse (T&R -> Keyes, PoA -> The Maw). Halo 1 will always be better in certain ways – atmosphere, story – but Halo 1 is also outdated in some ways, like the very repetitive level design.
Halo 1's gameplay is more fun. Simple as that for me. The encounters in Halo 3 are definitely better but just playing the game is more fun in Halo 1.

Danis

Neo Member

New Characters, new story, new setting, new enemies, new lore, new gameplay, new weapons (new weapon style, not just new guns), new so-op, new structure to MP, new abilities, new company at the helm...

How the hell would you define "reborn"?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think it's clear that though 343 is staying true to the feel of Halo they are taking the franchise in a direction that Bungie never would have on many levels.

Great, but it's not reborn. Something has to die for it to be reborn. Halo didn't wane in popularity. It's been popular this whole time.

It's the start of a new trilogy, developed by a new company, featuring a new storyline, new adversary and completely revamped multiplayer.

'Halo reborn' seems fitting to me.

I don't think you know what reborn means.

New Characters, new story, new setting, new enemies, new lore, new gameplay, new weapons (new weapon style, not just new guns), new so-op, new structure to MP, new abilities...

How the hell would you define "reborn"?

Reborn in the context for a game? Taking something that was waning in popularity, had a dying community, and bringing it back to life. Halo hasn't waned in popularity at all. We had a Halo game 2 years ago.

That's not rebirth at all. That's a new iteration.

Halo 1's gameplay is more fun. Simple as that for me. The encounters in Halo 3 are definitely better but just playing the game is more fun in Halo 1.

I can definitely see that, and I think that having every weapon be useable on its own certainly helps with it. I wish Halo 3 had that for its weapon sandbox. In addition to what I said earlier, I have a hard time adjusting to CE's campaign because I feel like I have to be very careful. I feel so restricted in the game, in comparison to 2 or 3 (and in some ways ODST).

Yeah, this. Also, lol at people drawing serious comparisons to metroid prime, because I definitely did not get a vibe of exploration from E3.

GhaleonEB

Agree to disagree. I haven't even gotten halfway through Anniversary, in part because I know the game so well, and in part because I find the game play well below that of Halo 3. Mission and encounter design, the expanded sandbox, the vehicular brawls, the brilliant pacing, the moment to moment combat. I think the only things Halo 1 does better is establish some great moods, and simpler, superior story telling. This is not a rip on Halo 1: it's a brilliant game and still very fun. I just have found it doesn't hold up to 3 in most respects.

Looking forward to the Edge article, it should land in my mailbox in, three weeks. Sigh.

I enjoyed Halo 3s campaign, much more than the first Halo. Then again I'm one of the crazies that liked Halo 2's campaign, but I wouldn't call them any shining beacon of game design. However the graphics in Halo 3 good God. Good God were they bad, that is when I knew the Xbox360 was finished as a console, when that was the best one of their flagship titles could muster. I still get nightmares from Johnson and most of the human characters, and the textures Oh God the textures, why did the game look so sterile and bad?

Top Bottom