• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #243 - Halo 4

Overdoziz

Banned
Agree to disagree. I haven't even gotten halfway through Anniversary, in part because I know the game so well, and in part because I find the game play well below that of Halo 3. Mission and encounter design, the expanded sandbox, the vehicular brawls, the brilliant pacing, the moment to moment combat. I think the only things Halo 1 does better is establish some great moods, and simpler, superior story telling. This is not a rip on Halo 1: it's a brilliant game and still very fun. I just have found it doesn't hold up to 3 in most respects.

Looking forward to the Edge article, it should land in my mailbox in, three weeks. Sigh.
I think it's partly because I find Halo 3 a lot less challenging than Halo 1. Trying to get through Truth and Reconciliation with only a Plasma Pistol and 1 bar of health left was so amazing. So satisfying when I finally managed to complete it. Halo 3 is a breeze compared to it. I recently played through it again and I think I only died a handful of times on Legendary solo.

Also, the final battle at the end of Two Betrayals is my favorite battle of all Halos.

Yeah, this. Also, lol at people drawing serious comparisons to metroid prime, because I definitely did not get a vibe of exploration from E3.
Oh I did. It was more of an ecological thing than a tribal thing. But I suppose everyone has a different understanding of what Metroid and Halo is.

GhaleonEB

I think it's partly because I find Halo 3 a lot less challenging than Halo 1. Trying to get through Truth and Reconciliation with only a Plasma Pistol and 1 bar of health left was so amazing. So satisfying when I finally managed to complete it. Halo 3 is a breeze compared to it. I recently played through it again and I think I only died a handful of times on Legendary solo.

Also, the final battle at the end of Two Betrayals is my favorite battle of all Halos.

That I generally agree with. I think Halo 1, 3 an ODST are the only games to really nail Legendary difficulty, but 1 was tougher while still also being fair. Some of it has to do with the expanded combat sandbox, and access to a BR or Carbine at all times helped Halo 3 be a bit easier. That said, toss on Thunderstorm and Catch and it all balanced out.

Vire

By the way, for the Non-Halo GAF Alumni, here's some stunning new screenshots of the map Longbow 343 put out:

image.axd

image.axd

image.axd

Hi-Res:

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/image.axd?picture=2012/6/28/LongbowScreenshot1.jpg

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/image.axd?picture=2012/6/28/LongbowScreenshot2.jpg

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/image.axd?picture=2012/6/28/LongbowScreenshot3.jpg

Amazing stuff, makes me wish I was there.

Kibbles

Aside from the trees, which look hideous.

So what's new about Halo 4 in this EDGE article?

RooMHM

Guess even EDGE is baiting its readers and falling into pityful hype ... "gunning for legendary status" ... ok.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

A METALLICA GAME!!!!

I cannot get 'Through the Never' out of my head when looking at a few of those words.

That's it too. All Halos since just have this constant regenerating health as an overshield now whereas the first one the shield didn't really do as much. It was just more of a "Hey, I can block one or two shots, then you're on your own buddy" kind of feeling. Now it feels more like "Oh, I almost died, I'll just wait behind this overturned Warthog and wait for my shields to build up".

Don't get me wrong, each game is enjoyable for their own reasons. I myself haven't gone back to the original because I played it to death back in the day and I am worried that I will see its downfalls today regardless if its new lick of paint.

Halo 3's encounters are far more dynamic and "sandboxy" than any found in Halo 1. When it comes to gameplay, Halo 3 stands head and shoulders above the rest.

http://i.imgur.com/dcBDF.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/60KM7.jpg[IMG]

[B]Half of Halo 1's campaign is an average to mediocre corridor shooter[/B], and [B]half of it repeats itself but worse[/B] (T&R -> Keyes, PoA -> The Maw). Halo 1 will always be better in certain ways – atmosphere, story – but Halo 1 is also outdated in some ways, like the very repetitive level design.[/QUOTE]
If I wasn't shaking my head in pity, i'd be laughing my head off at how ridiculous the bolded statements are. But to each their own. Nothing has even come close to matching Halo:CE's campaign for me. I am immediately bored, jumping into the campaigns of 2, 3, and Reach. And I started to post a long winded diatribe at how dumb it is to throw in level repetition as a reason to bash Combat Evolved (it's such a weak argument), but then I decided it wasn't worth it. You either liked the game or you didn't. The repeat level excuse is just people trying to throw extra mud on the game for other reasons or motives.

Gui_PT

If I wasn't shaking my head in pity, i'd be laughing my head off at how ridiculous the bolded statements are. But to each their own. Nothing has even come close to matching Halo:CE's campaign for me. I am immediately bored, jumping into the campaigns of 2, 3, and Reach. And I started to post a long winded diatribe at how dumb it is to throw in level repetition as a reason to bash Combat Evolved (it's such a weak argument), but then I decided it wasn't worth it. You either liked the game or you didn't. The repeat level excuse is just people trying to throw extra mud on the game for other reasons or motives.

Well the backtracking is rather dull

But hey, opinions, calm down mah brotha

DeMeester

To me Halo CE still has the best campaign of the whole series, but 3 and Reach are doing a nice job on their own as well. The only thing that I didn't like that much on the later two campaigns is the 4p co-op. Beforehand I really thought that would be the ultimate Halo experience, but after playing them for a while with friends a couple of times I think that in 2p co-op the games are better balanced. I've just had more fun in Halo 3, ODST and Reach playing just with one buddy.

I'm not sure if it's the AI's fault (I really love Halo's AI) or if there aren't enough enemies on screen. When Halo 3 arrived I thought Bungie still had to work a bit on the 4p co-op design, but even after Reach got launched it didn't feel any better to me. Maybe 343 Industries can do a better job in this department. Not that Bungie did a bad job (far from it).

I also hope for 4 that the Prometheans aren't going to screw up the combat system too much. In the E3 demo they looked like nice adversaries, but I'm not sure if they can stand up against the fun factor of the covenant.

EagleBurn

Banned
To me Halo CE still has the best campaign of the whole series, but 3 and Reach are doing a nice job on their own as well. The only thing that I didn't like that much on the later two campaigns is the 4p co-op. Beforehand I really thought that would be the ultimate Halo experience, but after playing them for a while with friends a couple of times I think that in 2p co-op the games are better balanced. I've just had more fun in Halo 3, ODST and Reach playing just with one buddy.

I'm not sure if it's the AI's fault (I really love Halo's AI) or if there aren't enough enemies on screen. When Halo 3 arrived I thought Bungie still had to work a bit on the 4p co-op design, but even after Reach got launched it didn't feel any better to me. Maybe 343 Industries can do a better job in this department. Not that Bungie did a bad job (far from it).

I also hope for 4 that the Prometheans aren't going to screw up the combat system too much. In the E3 demo they looked like nice adversaries, but I'm not sure if they can stand up against the fun factor of the covenant.

4-player co-op has always been a somewhat "off" experience in Halo. The maps simply aren't big enough to support 4 players in one battlefield. It always feels cramped and overkill on the enemy. Hopefully, 343 can find a way to fix this and make it fun for 2-4 players cooperatively.

The majority of the interior combat in CE takes place in tight corridors (PoA, and T&R). Compare that to the interior combat in Halo 3 that has stuff like the Brute hallway and the barracks in Crow's Nest, and the combat inside the cartographer in the The Ark or the towers in The Covenant, and you should see why the former isn't all that engaging. Hallway (corridor) combat can never be that engaging because how restrictive it is to player movement, and the game makes it worse later on by repeating them and adding Flood monster closets (Keyes, The Maw).

The repetition comes off as lazy, and after a while, it gets exhausting, even boring. Sure, it can succeed in some areas, like some aspects of AotCR -> Two Betrayals, but after playing it so many times, the majority of the repetition feels like unnecessary drag. It's why I don't place AotCR ahead of The Ark or The Covenant any more – too many rooms.

Call it whatever you want – throwing "mud on the game for other reasons and motives" – but that's not what I'm doing. Liking a game or disliking a game can't be as black and white as you described. I love Halo: CE, but I do acknowledge its serious flaws. The game is a flawed masterpiece like most Halo games.

You're talking about games that that have a six-year gap, and is two games later.
Can I not compare an older game in a franchise to a newer one? I'm not knocking Halo: CE because it didn't have the technology to throw two Scarabs at me. I'm saying because Halo 3 did what it can do, and as result, its encounters are more dynamic, is why I prefer it. It's why I feel like Halo: CE is limiting when I go back and play it. People compare Halo: CE to the other Halo games when saying it's their favorite, why I can I not do the same in reverse?

Besides, the complaints – level design, Flood monster closets, repetition – I have leveled at CE in this thread are not technologically limited.

NekoFever

Anyone tried out the new interactive iPad edition that just came out? You can get this issue for half price (£1.99/$2.99) through Newsstand and it's pretty slick. I never paid much attention to digital mags but I'm tempted to get a digital sub now.

PaulLFC

Anyone tried out the new interactive iPad edition that just came out? You can get this issue for half price (£1.99/$2.99) through Newsstand and it's pretty slick. I never paid much attention to digital mags but I'm tempted to get a digital sub now.
Tried to, very disappointed so far though. I bought it, downloaded it twice now and both times it's got an error decompressing or something like that, and restarts the download. That's made even more annoying by the fact the app appears to have the slowest download speeds since the appearance of broadband, and takes hours to download an issue when other apps and browsers are as fast as ever.

Edit: Not to mention the app randomly closes itself every few % of the download so you have to keep checking the iPad and restarting the app to carry on the download.

There's also no way to cancel a download after you've started it, I sent this to them as feedback and their response was "restart your iPad or delete and reinstall the app", in other words "we can't be bothered to put in the functionality to do it properly."

Definitely recommend avoiding it until they can design an app that actually functions.

Top Bottom