• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 249: Dark Souls II. To be more "direct," "straightforward," and "understandable"

Eusis

Skyrim came at a time when every single publisher was telling everyone that you have to stick multiplayer and social elements into every fucking game or else they won't sell and if they do, they'll get traded in so you need that online pass. Then it killed it in the marketplace and everybodys like "oh wow"
That probably helped, but it seems like it's indicating a growing trend of the industry becoming narrow sighted. It's not like there weren't copycats or industry leaders before, but either it's being taken to a new extreme or they're showing it more than before.
Skyrim sold over 10M copies (and it's old data!). It's the genres Modern Warfare now.
Guess that makes sense, even matches with the fact Call of Duty was a fairly successful franchise before, but then it broke the dam and defied expectations what you could do with the genre (NOT BE SET IN WWII FOR-FUCKING-EVER).
King's Field Returns.
That'd be amazing. And being a hardcore first person RPG would also get the Elder Scrolls audience, perhaps more of that which felt the series became too accessible.

the cover is amazing.

isn't the previous director still working on the game? just not as the director?

Also, how is this new director? has he made some good games in the past?

Two new directors, entirely new to the Souls series, are taking the helm from the previous director of the Souls games.

Jex

We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls

What if I don't agree? Because I don't.

I mean, we're far too far out to judge, but in all honesty I would be happy with 'more of the same'. Understandably they have greater ambitions then that, which is fine, but with statements like that one has to be concerned that they're going to fundamentally undermine what made their series so popular and interesting to begin with.

jimi_dini

we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls.

Uh Oh

No, I don't want bad combat in a souls game. And I also don't want a buggy as hell engine.

Eusis

As much as I like Dark Souls, things like the weapon stats page, or crafting system could have been explained better. Luckily I had the strategy guide, but I think it's stuff like that which turns people away rather than the difficulty or pace.
I have to admit, if they kept "more accessible" more to smartly explaining systems and only being overly blunt about how to get into covenants then I wouldn't mind too much. I didn't fully grasp Demon's Souls stats until I got into Dark Souls, and covenants would benefit from as many people as possible knowing and getting into them.

Game direction would, ideally, be left to a character you can go back and talk to, so players who want to be more hardcore can just poke around the world, while those wanting explicit instructions can somewhat easily get them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As much as I like Dark Souls, things like the weapon stats page, or crafting system could have been explained better. Luckily I had the strategy guide, but I think it's stuff like that which turns people away rather than the difficulty or pace.

Yeah, a Souls game with an easier to digest menu system would be fine.

Also no game starting items with completely false descriptions. :p

Jex

I'd also have to agree with everyone's comments about menus, covenants etc. It's great to leave some systems a mystery, but basic stuff like that was far too opaque.

Always interested in the EDGE Awards, I usually agree with them and they have some fun categories every year.

Probably a Kickstarter related one too, that has to be the defining gaming trend of 2012 to say the least.

Erethian

the cover is amazing.

isn't the previous director still working on the game? just not as the director?

Also, how is this new director? has he made some good games in the past?

Yui Tanimura doesn't show up on Mobygames and Tomohiro Shibuya's only previous work I can find is as a designer for Digital Artist Guild (working on Capcom games) as a CG designer.

Neither of them were in the credits for Dark Souls.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm happy for them to make the menus and such more accessible. But don't lose what makes it what it is. I worry that he says he likes to be more direct. I hope they don't try to bog us down with a story

It's true though. I played Dark Souls for 60 hours and I never quite grasped some of its systems. There's no benefit in leaving this stuff unexplained.

I'm not usually the guy the goes for these kneejerk reactions, but those statements in the op.... I really really hope they know what they're doing.

Foffy

Banned
I don't mind DS2 being more accessible once it's in the right way .

Many companies fail on doing this in the right way. What franchises open themselves up for new players and keep all of the core features in a state of quality that older fans liked? There's a reason people are a bit up in arms about this...

Accessibility doesn't mean lack of complexity or depth. "More straightforward" in terms of plot and whatnot is too bad but whatever. In Miyazaki I trust.

Hypron

I wouldn't mind the game being more accessible, as long as the changes stay reasonable and don't affect the depth of the gameplay mechanics. I loved Dark Souls mainly because of its completely and utterly awesome gameplay, its magnificent scenery and the quantity AND quality of unique equipment, spells, enemies and bosses you find throughout the game. Dark Souls 2 can do all that while being more accessible. Some stuff in the first game was really cryptic and would have stayed forever hidden to me hadn't I used the wiki during my subsequent playthroughs of the game.

UrbanRats

“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls.

This makes me shit my pants, frankly.
Bad omens.

Accessibility doesn't mean lack of complexity or depth. "More straightforward" in terms of plot and whatnot is too bad but whatever. In Miyazaki I trust.
That's implying Miyazaki is not a puppett supervisor, though.
You know, to appease the fans.

Taruranto

We already have dozens of games with quest compass, dumb exposition, tutorials fucking everywhere.

Please, just leave us Dark Soul.

Eusis

Accessbility? That can't be good!
Sarcasm? It wouldn't be so dreaded if it didn't usually coincide with series becoming less interesting and if it were less prevalent nowadays. Probably the best examples come from series that may've had kinda dumb, pain int he ass systems anyway: I don't think there was that much love for the class system Elder Scrolls had before Skyrim for example.

fushi

So now 2 RPGs series are after that Skyrim cake:

-BioWare with Dragon Age 3
-FROM with Souls 3

We all know how this very chase ended for FPSs games chasing dat Call of Duty pot o gold...
Would you please read the article again and take note of the fact that TES was referenced by the author, not by the FROM guys?

The negative hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous.

Forkball

Here's my wishlist for Dark Souls II:

Easy mode
Regenerating Health
Minimap
Combat to feel like God of War with QTEs
Romance options

... but seriously, there are a lot of amazing design decisions in Dark Souls. The combat is fantastic, the armor and weapons are all unique and varied, the levels are well designed and thoughtful. But also some that need to be improved upon. Inventory is a big one. The game is also extremely obtuse. It actually compliments the story telling, but sometimes can hinder the gameplay. Let me give you an example. There's a ring called Covetous Gold Serpent that boosts your magic find, and it is extremely useful. Here's how you get it. In one level, there's these rolling boulders you have to dodge. There are several tracks with these in it, and they eventually fall off into somewhere or go on another track. Well on one random track, if you sit there for a while, the boulders will eventually stack up, thus allowing the next one to bust through the wall, where you can grab the ring. Who in the blue hell would just randomly think about waiting at that specific spot to see something that was never shown or even implied possible to get an extremely useful item?

There are some other pretty wild ones, like
attacking Gwenevere to make Anor Londo turn dark, giving 30 humanity to someone and then kill some random enemies to save Solaire, finding that pyromancer lady in the swamp etc.)
. You can also screw yourself out of some things. For example, I messed up boosting my pyromancy because I accidentally hit one of trainers, and then the other literally got himself killed like an idiot because of something trivial I said. The game can be punishing, but it shouldn't throw points of no return at you all the time.

I would also like them to revamp the humanity system so you can summon someone at all times. I loved playing with other phantoms, and didn't want to have to farm and waste rare items to do so.

I think a lot of people need to think about what exactly they like about Dark Souls. I like the challenging but fair combat (minus TotG), the worthwhile rewards, the openness of exploration etc. As long as it has these things, I will be content, and enjoy whatever added stuff they throw at it.

FACE

Banned
The words from the new director made my heart heavy. I hope they deliver.

Many companies fail on doing this in the right way. What franchises open themselves up for new players and keep all of the core features in a state of quality that older fans liked? There's a reason people are a bit up in arms about this...

Only game I can think of is The Witcher 2.

UrbanRats

on-screen markers and compass.
detailed on screen minimap with red dots to signal enemies.
qte prompts to free yourself from enemy grappling you and avoid traps.

john tv

Downloading Edge #248 right now just to check the last page that says when #249 comes out. :p Does anyone know the release date?

Top Bottom