• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Part II Remastered [Review Thread]

Does it have a 40hz mode???
Don't think there's one, but I think DF has their video up so wait for someone to make a summary with all the changes/options in that specific thread.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Playing this day one. One of my favorite games of all-time

Two time Platinum?

Star Trek Yes GIF

As long as your old completed Platinum saves are still on your hard drive, you should auto pop the new Plat once you fire up the remaster. Worked beautifully for stuff like the Tsushima directors cut.

Looking at this game I truly think the only mistake was putting Remastered in the title.

The new game modes are the best feature for me.

Topher

Gold Member
As long as your old completed Platinum saves are still on your hard drive, you should auto pop the new Plat once you fire up the remaster. Worked beautifully for stuff like the Tsushima directors cut.

Eh......that kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?

Tsaki

ND still got it I guess; can't wait for their new IP.
My first world problem now is, since I don't have the platinum on the PS4 version I'll have two Part 2 lists on the trophy page if I upgrade and the trophies carry over, and I'm definitely not going back to the PS4 version to finish it. So getting the PS4 platinum first is of priority.

RCXYRCC.jpg

GHG

I do wish this was a PC release on the same day though (or that they enabled mouse and keyboard support on console).

I really dislike having to play any game with shooting elements on a controller, it's so unintuitive.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Eh......that kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?

I mean, it's not like you dont need to not play through it again, but it certainly saves some time, at most a replay after that first run.

I think its convenient as all hell. I personally dont want to to look for all of those cards and coins again.

Last edited:
It was already 60fps through a PS5 patch. Seems like a pointless cash in if I'm honest.

It's fun to play but completely fucking miserable from the word go basically. I enjoyed my first playthrough but I can't see why anyone would want to sit through multiple playthroughs lol.

saintjules

It was already 60fps through a PS5 patch. Seems like a pointless cash in if I'm honest.

$10 is pretty much coins. Especially when the announcement of the release was 2 months ago. If people can't come up with $10 measly bucks in 2 months, then they may want to consider a different hobby.

Uncapped framerate if you enable 120hz + VRR is another solid reason to jump in if you have the TV for it.

It's fun to play but completely fucking miserable from the word go basically. I enjoyed my first playthrough but I can't see why anyone would want to sit through multiple playthroughs lol.

I guess the same could be said for other games. For example there's been people touting that they have played Persona 5 3+ different times at 100+ gameplay hours/ea. I couldn't see the reason either lol.

dnZBeeF.jpg
This is all I wanted. whoever approved of the one in the left needs to be fired. It’s like a different model than the rest of the game. Has a whole uncanny valley vibe to it too.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Looking at this game I truly think the only mistake was putting Remastered in the title.

The new game modes are the best feature for me.

The game looks 99.999% the same as the PS4 game running on the PS5. This is the most ludicrous use of the term remaster I've ever seen. This would have been a regular game patch everywhere else, but because this version of the game was compiled for PS5 instead of PS4 it's a paid upgrade. Fucking ridiculous. Sony and Naughty Game should be ashamed of themselves.

The game looks 99.999% the same as the PS4 game running on the PS5. This is the most ludicrous use of the term remaster I've ever seen. This would have been a regular game patch everywhere else, but because this version of the game was compiled for PS5 instead of PS4 it's a paid upgrade. Fucking ridiculous. Sony and Naughty Game should be ashamed of themselves.

Nah the game is great and worth it for sure. Just a poor name.

Should name it based on the biggest selling point.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You're kidding right?
Oh yeah, a vid I saw.

Well, tell me. What should they have added? From where I'm sitting, the game only saw minor changes from the original 2018 video (most notably, the torch lighting — hence why I asked you for specifics). Guess I expected too much. :nougat_rofl:

The final release (which even DF noted) was close enough and still looked ridiculous. Maybe they could have added back some of those affects, but then, as a Remaster, I only ever expect a cleaning up of current materials/shaders/resolutions.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, a vid I saw.

Well, tell me. What should they have added? From where I'm sitting, the game only saw minor changes from the original 2018 video (most notably, the torch lighting — hence why I asked you for specifics). Guess I expected too much. :nougat_rofl:

The final release (which even DF noted) was close enough and still looked ridiculous. Maybe they could have added back some of those affects, but then, as a Remaster, I only ever expect a cleaning up of current materials/shaders/resolutions.
I don't disagree the retail release looked and still does in some respects amazing but to deny the downgrades is disingenuous to say the least. Its far more than torch lights but then I posted the video so at least watch it all and then tell me what you think?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't disagree the retail release looked and still does in some respects amazing but to deny the downgrades is disingenuous to say the least. Its far more than torch lights but then I posted the video so at least watch it all and then tell me what you think?
There were minor reductions in lighting and effects (which include the torch, but that was the biggest standout).

The problem is a Remaster doesn't usually fix stuff like that, because it's just an adjustment to the original materials/etc. I agree that the 2018 build looked a little better (although as a 3D artist, I can tell you that a lot of changes are nothing more than changes, rather than downgrades).

Exhibit A

b-No-Do-F.png

Effects added (DoF, fog, particle lighting)
c-Do-F-Cooler.png

Not saying that there were no downgrades at all, but sometimes, just a slight artistic change can make a notable difference and it may have very little to do with system capabilities.

*Images rendered on my home PC.

Yup. The DF one is also fucking retarded. They are using the performance mode to show fidelity changes instead of the actual fidelity mode, you cant make this shit up.

I think SlimySnake SlimySnake made a thread a while ago calling them out for doing the same thing on another game

That’s absolutely retarded

TLOU part 1 is best played in Fidelity mode. The upgrade in resolution is extremely noticeable

I expect the same here for part 2

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
$10 sounds good. Haven’t played this since it released, but it’s a damn good game. It’ll be nice to play it at 60+ with VRR.

Muffdraul

I've already re-played TLOU2 so many times, usually a fresh new file, NG+ with cheats unlocked is only fun for a little while imo. My last re-play was probably almost a year ago, I really doubt I'd be wanting to replay it again any time soon.

But god damn it, my body is ready for a remaster.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I've already re-played TLOU2 so many times, usually a fresh new file, NG+ with cheats unlocked is only fun for a little while imo. My last re-play was probably almost a year ago, I really doubt I'd be wanting to replay it again any time soon.

But god damn it, my body is ready for a remaster.

The new improved visuals are a game changer. It's just incredible how far Naughty Dog was able to push the PS5... I won't be able to go back to the PS4 version. That $10 upgrade price is a steal for what we're getting! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

gwchlns.jpg
Iy6oeC6.jpg
0KnxQru.jpg

Top Bottom