• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #278 - Bloodborne

"don't dare criticize the critics! you're being defensive"

Last time I checked, expressing an opinion on a review was a perfectly legit thing. Critics can be subject of criticism exactly like the developers some seem to be growing more and more fond of bashing.

People aren't criticizing the critic, they're questioning the validity of their opinion based on a number and nothing else.

aly

I think gamers as a whole have got way more time and entertainment arguing over The Order's scores than the actual game itself.

lol I agree. In a way you could say The Order has actually provided an entire month of entertainment.

I had a feeling this was gonna be an Order thread, but it's still baffling that some seem to be actually surprised by the score. In EDGE magazine of all things too.

This is why I can't take people seriously on Neogaf.

Borrowed it the weekend after it was released because my friend was done with it by then.

That game is anything but fantastic. It the most mediocre to average game to be released this generation. Maybe I wouldn't give it a 4, but I wouldn't go higher than 5.

I don't care how many people have deluded themselves into thinking it was worth $60.

Absolutely incredible graphics though. that's always nice.

I cannot take you seriously. Youre posting on Gaf. Wait...

Abriael

Banned
People aren't criticizing the critic, they're questioning the validity of their opinion based on a number and nothing else.

Which is, again, perfectly valid criticism. On a scale from 0 to 10, even using the lower numbers, 4 is a gravely insufficient score. The Order simply does not deserve that score.

entremet

EDGE has always rated using the full scale, yet people are surprised The Order--a game that has been almost universally panned by the common media outlets--got a 4?

I don't get it.

Which is, again, perfectly valid criticism. On a scale from 0 to 10, even using the lower numbers, 4 is a gravely insufficient score. The Order simply does not deserve that score.

Reviews aren't objective. They're subjective.

Borrowed it the weekend after it was released because my friend was done with it by then.

That game is anything but fantastic. It the most mediocre to average game to be released this generation. Maybe I wouldn't give it a 4, but I wouldn't go higher than 5.

I don't care how many people have deluded themselves into thinking it was worth $60.

I'd give the most average or meh title to Watch Dogs, and I have a hard time believing The Order is worse than Killzone Shadowfall, that game was boring as fuck

The Chef

Playing The Order right now and I just have no earthly idea how anyone could possibly justify that score.

*shrug* ah well, I dig it.

SUPER excited about Bloodborne though.

Abriael

Banned
You haven't even read the review.

So? I didn't know that, having played the game, not having read the review (aside from the final blurb, and that's already nonsensical enough) removed my ability to criticize a score based on a known grading range.

Oh wait, it doesn't.

MrHoot

Looking at story and gameplay, it's lucky that it has the score that it has. Also there's an OT already for The Order

Anyway, Bloodborne HOIPE. Saw the scans, i'm generally positive of what i've read. It seems they took the route of trimming a lot of unnecessary fat (useless stats, too many different weapons with effectively the same mechanics) to tighten the design instead and focus on the essential of what made the experience good.

Damn only 2 more weeks

So? I didn't know that, having played the game, not having read the review (aside from the final blurb, and that's already nonsensical enough) removed my ability to criticize a score based on a known grading range.

Oh wait, it doesn't.

It sure does. You can disagree with it, sure, but criticizing it makes you a crazy person.

In that respect, you're actually right. It doesn't remove your choice. You have the choice to look dumb. People are just saying that you probably shouldn't.

Fbh

I'd love the read the whole Article about Bloodborne. But just the summary of core ideas in the other thread have me really hyped up

Do people sincerely believe that this is how it works?

Didn't you hear? There are no bad or average exclusives on Ps4

The Ps4 has only 2 types of exclusives:
- Masterpieces
- Masterpieces that got unfair reviews

Ferrio

Banned

Oh wait, it doesn't.

Fine fine, it's 10, but the review still says it's a big pile of turds? Happy?

Abriael

Banned
It sure does. You can disagree with it, sure, but criticizing it makes you a crazy person.

I don't think "crazy" means what you think it means.

It surely doesn't mean "I see a score from 0 to 10. I played the game, and I believe that giving it a 4 is absolutely ridiculous."

Hoje0308

Banned
Exciting news about Bloodborne and, presumably, all the games listed in the Hype section, and yet this has become another review thread for The Order.

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

If we get a Bloodborne for every The Order, I would be fine with that.

Then what do we get for Knack?

entremet

Oh wait, it doesn't.

This is how people get tags lol.

edit: Too soon apparently.

TomShoe

Banned
Or they honestly just didn't like it perhaps? It's hard to tell without reading the actual review, but I wouldn't be shocked if they gave actual legitimate complaits of the game, like a number of reviewers who disliked it have, just like Destiny recieved. There's no point in disregarding actual criticism because the game didn't fit the reception you think it should have.

They should use the whole scale and rate it lower, it's still an overrated game. Everything wrong with aaa game production.

One bad review?

This has to be a joke.

Make no mistake, some of those scores given are unjustifiable. Like Digital Trends.

EDIT: Just saw what happened to Abriael. Given the 10 point rating scale, I feel some of the scores given are a poor representation of the game itself. I understand not liking a game, but only games that are buggy messes should be given scores that low.

angelic

Banned
People want the whole scale used, but then are upset when someone does. It got 40%..that is respectable for a 4 hour QTE cover shooter.

It probably REALLY looked like a 4/10 game when compared to 40 hours of Bloodborne, and then factor in the same price and The Order looks like a very bad deal indeed.

autoduelist

4 means absolutely broken based on current review standards. Is it absolutely broken? I don't know, because I haven't played it. Games aren't rated in a vacuum, and no matter how much some people want to claim '5 means average' it simply isn't true today.

Short, terrible, somewhat broken budget-feeling games like Homefront and Brink have a 70 metacritic, higher than The Order.

4 means ridiculously broken, and so, yes, giving a game like The Order, which by all accounts is beautiful and unbroken, even if not what everyone wanted, a 4, is misleading at best.

Short games get passes all the time. Broken games (FO, anyone) get passes all the time. Some games go through the ringer and get piled on, and The Order is one of those games. I have no idea if it's deserved or not, but it's doubtful when you compare it to other games getting similar scores.

yurinka

I don't agree them this time, The Order doesn't deserve this score at all, I really liked it.

I'm really excited for their Bloodborne impressions mentioned in the other thread, and looking forward to get the full version of Resident Evil Revelations 2 (I don't want to play it until I can get the retail version).

fushi

4 means absolutely broken based on current review standards. Is it absolutely broken? I don't know, because I haven't played it.

But short, terrible, somewhat broken budget-feeling games like Homefront and Brink have a 70 metacritic, higher than The Order.

Games aren't rated in a vacuum, and no matter how much some people want to claim '5 means average' it simply isn't true in our current review climate.

4 means ridiculously broken, and so, yes, giving a game like The Order, which by all accounts is beautiful and unbroken, even if not what everyone wanted, a 4, is misleading at best.

If you call a game
do u even EDGE?

Orayn

4 means absolutely broken based on current review standards. Is it absolutely broken? I don't know, because I haven't played it. Games aren't rated in a vacuum, and no matter how much some people want to claim '5 means average' it simply isn't true today.

Short, terrible, somewhat broken budget-feeling games like Homefront and Brink have a 70 metacritic, higher than The Order.

There are no "current review standards" that apply to all outlets. All review scores are equally arbitrary.

Ferrio

Banned
I really need to read that memo that states where games rated under 5 points must be broken beyond repair. It's actually quite depressing that's what people honestly think nowadays.

Top Bottom