• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #278 - Bloodborne

They gave Mirror's Edge a 5. I think a lot of people disagree with that too, myself included.

Not saying they're wrong on The Order, just that Edge is pretty notorious for giving out controversial review scores and this is no different. And, given the scores it's received elsewhere, this isn't even that controversial.
Mirror's Edge getting a 5 is perfectly understandable, and this is coming from a fanboy. I'm not going to flip about in every thread bemoaning some review score as if it was my baby, like many people have been doing here in any thread related to The Order 1886. It had flaws with flow because of the cramped confusing level design for a game about selling parkour to you and ill-designed combat scenarios even if it was doing a lot of cool new things that would become influential over the years.

Here, I found the review to EDGE's review of Mirror's Edge in issue #196, and I'll transcribe:

Mirror's Edge is like a piece of Scandinavian furniture, picked for its perfect blend of form and function, discovered on receipt to have the wrong pieces in the box, ambiguous instructions and too few tools to make it come together. Its showroom lustre is undeniable, and from day one it has seemed a great fit for Swedish studio DICE - the kind of laser-sculpted marvel that years of Battlefield have kept locked in the warehouse. But alas, the package is far from ideal.

Those expecting a style-focused, seductively open parkour game like Rebellion's Free Running are in for the biggest shock: this is more about basic environmental puzzling and rehearsing linear routes. Inspired by movies like The Matrix and District B13, it ups the ante by setting the dogs on you - in this case black helicopters, men with guns and ninjas in hockey masks. To help you on your way, it daubs most of your escape routes in striking red, the idea being to take pipes, walls, jumps and ledges in your stride. Attackers, or 'Blues' in the game's lingo, can be overcome with punches, kicks and button-press disarms - but engagement is discouraged.

Still a great premise, perhaps, elevated by a viewpoint reminiscent of Breakdown, Namco's trapped-in-firstperson beat/shoot/drive/vomit 'em up for Xbox. Heroine Faith, furthermore, is a striking lead - as outwardly hip as the courier bags she collects for Achievements or Trophies. But the game makes a fool of her. It is a Portal-style puzzler or a breathless steeplechase; an Orwellian parable or freeform Olympics? Unable to decide until it's left the springboard, it tries to be all of them but manages none.

Its story is so ethereal you barely know its theme, and when you do you wish it wasn't. Its puzzles scarcely evolve beyond the obvious, its combos beyond sequences its levels can't sustain. Attempts to infuse the recurring, utilitarian environments with something - anything - dynamic produce disastrously signposted boss battles, bumbling arcade sequences and the gross indulgence of Faith's lesser-known talent: turning valves.

But the real tragedy of the game, with its dedicated time-trial modes and leaderboards, is its failure to capture anything of what populated parkour to begin with. There's no freeform or empowerment in constantly failing to make a predefined jump hemmed in with dead ends. Nor is there sustained momentum, nor any real sense of verticality beyond what passes beneath your feet. The game's Unreal Engine 3 implementation is incredible, able to render everything from the rooftops to the street - but it ferries you between them in elevators. The flight-not-fight ethic of its combat, meanwhile, hides an inconvenient truth: it's more enjoyable when taken at your own pace.

Aptly enough, there are two opposite ways to view Mirror's Edge, ours obviously being the less forgiving one. Its ostensible break from the norm, its sparkling monoliths and its Nordic skies perform some kind of counterbalance, but there is simply not enough depth or reward to the realisation of parkour that lies beyond that sheen. [5]

EDGE has always rated using the full scale, yet people are surprised The Order--a game that has been almost universally panned by the common media outlets--got a 4?

I don't get it.

Reviews aren't objective. They're subjective.

An average of 65 with 82 reviews is hardly "almost universally panned". It's at worst polarizing. You people need to lay off the hyperbole. Sure the game is not the best game ever but it was a good first effort that was entertaining with flaws. Made by a company that previously only made games on a handheld. a 4 is 2.5 points below the average, and might I add imo should be reserved for games that are just broken, which the order is certainly not. I wish I could say the say for many games this gen that were released broken and got much better scores.

I'm not defending the game as I think it is probably between 6-7 if I had to score it but it has plenty of potential for a sequel, and if they are allowed to make it I would think they would learn from their mistakes and make a better game.

Ouch at The order score.

Shouldn't be much of a surprise, outside of the incredible graphics, the game does have a ton of shortcomings unfortunately, the thing I really worry about is whether the folks at RAD really understand good third-person action gameplay, I don't think they have a good idea of action stealth, and I don't think they have a sense of what would be updated third-person controls, it's like they haven't played anything else since Gears of War 1. Still I feel sad that the game is getting hammered so badly.

Mirror's Edge getting a 5 is perfectly understandable, and this is coming from a fanboy. I'm not going to flip about in every thread bemoaning some review score as if it was my baby, like many people have been doing here in any thread related to The Order 1886. It had flaws with flow because of the cramped confusing level design for a game about selling parkour to you and ill-designed combat scenarios even if it was doing a lot of cool new things that would become influential over the years.

Here, I found the review to EDGE's review of Mirror's Edge in issue #196, and I'll transcribe:

Mirror's Edge is like a piece of Scandinavian furniture, picked for its perfect blend of form and function, discovered on receipt to have the wrong pieces in the box, ambiguous instructions and too few tools to make it come together. Its showroom lustre is undeniable, and from day one it has seemed a great fit for Swedish studio DICE - the kind of laser-sculpted marvel that years of Battlefield have kept locked in the warehouse. But alas, the package is far from ideal.

Those expecting a style-focused, seductively open parkour game like Rebellion's Free Running are in for the biggest shock: this is more about basic environmental puzzling and rehearsing linear routes. Inspired by movies like The Matrix and District B13, it ups the ante by setting the dogs on you - in this case black helicopters, men with guns and ninjas in hockey masks. To help you on your way, it daubs most of your escape routes in striking red, the idea being to take pipes, walls, jumps and ledges in your stride. Attackers, or 'Blues' in the game's lingo, can be overcome with punches, kicks and button-press disarms - but engagement is discouraged.

Still a great premise, perhaps, elevated by a viewpoint reminiscent of Breakdown, Namco's trapped-in-firstperson beat/shoot/drive/vomit 'em up for Xbox. Heroine Faith, furthermore, is a striking lead - as outwardly hip as the courier bags she collects for Achievements or Trophies. But the game makes a fool of her. It is a Portal-style puzzler or a breathless steeplechase; an Orwellian parable or freeform Olympics? Unable to decide until it's left the springboard, it tries to be all of them but manages none.

Its story is so ethereal you barely know its theme, and when you do you wish it wasn't. Its puzzles scarcely evolve beyond the obvious, its combos beyond sequences its levels can't sustain. Attempts to infuse the recurring, utilitarian environments with something - anything - dynamic produce disastrously signposted boss battles, bumbling arcade sequences and the gross indulgence of Faith's lesser-known talent: turning valves.

But the real tragedy of the game, with its dedicated time-trial modes and leaderboards, is its failure to capture anything of what populated parkour to begin with. There's no freeform or empowerment in constantly failing to make a predefined jump hemmed in with dead ends. Nor is there sustained momentum, nor any real sense of verticality beyond what passes beneath your feet. The game's Unreal Engine 3 implementation is incredible, able to render everything from the rooftops to the street - but it ferries you between them in elevators. The flight-not-fight ethic of its combat, meanwhile, hides an inconvenient truth: it's more enjoyable when taken at your own pace.

Aptly enough, there are two opposite ways to view Mirror's Edge, ours obviously being the less forgiving one. Its ostensible break from the norm, its sparkling monoliths and its Nordic skies perform some kind of counterbalance, but there is simply not enough depth or reward to the realisation of parkour that lies beyond that sheen. [5]

I read this review then and read this now. I rate this review a 4/10. Way too pretentious and obnoxious with some stupid analogies, not to mention comparing to movies that was not once on my mind when I played the game.

For the most part Edge reviews tries way too hard to be "edgy" and it suffers for it. It's clear the writers are of higher quality than most gaming sites but they just can't get out of their own way. I almost always add 1 or 2 points to edge scores to account for my own taste.

An average of 65 with 82 reviews is hardly "almost universally panned". It's at worst polarizing. You people need to lay off the hyperbole. Sure the game is not the best game ever but it was a good first effort that was entertaining with flaws. Made by a company that previously only made games on a handheld. a 4 is 2.5 points below the average, and might I add imo should be reserved for games that are just broken, which the order is certainly not. I wish I could say the say for many games this gen that were released broken and got much better scores.
I'm not defending the game as I think it is probably between 6-7 if I had to score it but it has plenty of potential for a sequel, and if they are allowed to make it I would think they would learn from their mistakes and make a better game.

If 4 means just broken, what do 1, 2 and 3 mean? 4 means a little below average when using a 10 point scale. If you read the review, the scores are justified. It's not as if they give it a good review and lump a 4/10 at the end. Read back in the thread and you'll see I've bullet-listed their biggest complaints. You might disagree with them but to say the score is 'wrong' means that their opinion is objectively wrong, which given that it's an opinion, can't really be the case.

An average of 65 with 82 reviews is hardly "almost universally panned". It's at worst polarizing. You people need to lay off the hyperbole. Sure the game is not the best game ever but it was a good first effort that was entertaining with flaws. Made by a company that previously only made games on a handheld. a 4 is 2.5 points below the average, and might I add imo should be reserved for games that Brownare just broken, which the order is certainly not. I wish I could say the say for many games this gen that were released broken and got much better scores.

nycgamer scale:
6.5 - polarizing
4 - broken

one can only imagine what 3,2,1 represent. I'd imagine 1 is reserved for "directly responsible for the death of a family member"

Percy

Banned
I'm pretty sure anyone that rushes out to buy any game on launch day has already decided they will have a blast with it. Especially when it's critically panned and those day one buyers can't bring themselves to step back a tiny bit. That goes double for exclusives.

It would be one thing if the Order was part of a series that has had good games in the past. Maybe even if it came from a developer that was known for their third person shooters. An established fan base is one reason to ignore just about every review out there. That's understandable. A brand new exclusive IP that people rush out to buy when every sign points to it being a poor game? Then those people says it's a blast and that it's fantastic? Sorry, but no.

Yeah, opinions. Everyone gets to have one, but not everyone has a good one.

I'll be getting Bloodborne on day one. I hope it's good, but I just don't know. Especially since while I loved Dark Souls 2, the first game seemed better. A lot of people here have already decided it's going to be the best game ever. Exclusives tend to have that effect.

Wow, what a blowhard.

Account gets approved and the first thing you choose to do with it is throw insults at anyone who likes a game you don't.

You'll last.

It's kinda hard to criticize a review you haven't read.

Maybe you don't actually have to have read the review to know how bad it is! Would be somehow fitting for this game.

But yeah, discussions about Order reviews have become tiresome to read on all sides at this point. Sick of hearing about it in unrelated threads... though I guess this one isn't totally unrelated... oops.

NekoFever

I really need to read that memo that states where games rated under 5 points must be broken beyond repair. It's actually quite depressing that's what people honestly think nowadays.

A truly terrible game, not fun, offensive stereotypes for characters, less than an hour long, intrusive DLC, but no technical problems. 6/10.

iceatcs

Holy shit, 4/10. That is very bad, even Edge's standard.

It seem The Order 1886 is completely shit game, very bad un-game. I'm curious why they released it, but at least it ain't unplayable otherwise 1 or 2/10.

autoduelist

itt: people who don't know edge uses the whole review scale

4 is below average i guess. that's the order all over.

There are no "current review standards" that apply to all outlets. All review scores are equally arbitrary.

Except there are. A couple outlier outlets that use the 'whole scale' are only farking with metacritic values, which in turn can affect sales and developers.

I totally understand that some review outlets 'use the whole scale'. That doesn't change the fact that when they give a game a 4, it hurts the game just the same as any other 4 since metacritic and most people who see it don't know nor care that they are using the whole scale.

Besides, the order's metacritic makes it pretty clear it got piled upon when it reviewed worse than some of the famed 'broken' games of last gen.

Nibel

I mean

The text review isn't even out yet. What if the reviewer raises good points? What if the reviewer raises bad points?

I read this review then and read this now. I rate this review a 4/10. Way too pretentious and obnoxious with some stupid analogies, not to mention comparing to movies that was not once on my mind when I played the game.

For the most part Edge reviews tries way too hard to be "edgy" and it suffers for it. It's clear the writers are of higher quality than most gaming sites but they just can't get out of their own way. I almost always add 1 or 2 points to edge scores to account for my own taste.

I think it was an excellent review. It was specific and articulate. Comparing a game to movies I never considered once is the reason I read reviews - I want to read a thought I hadn't had myself.

Pretentious is such a terrible word. I give it a 4/10. It's utterly broken and used in the worst ways. Edge would probably give the word a 1/10, but I know better than them.

Except there are. A couple outlier outlets that use the 'whole scale' are only farking with metacritic values, which in turn can affect sales and developers.

I totally understand that some review outlets 'use the whole scale'. That doesn't change the fact that when they give a game a 4, it hurts the game just the same as any other 4 since metacritic and most people who see it don't know nor care that they are using the whole scale.

Besides, the order's metacritic makes it pretty clear it got piled upon when it reviewed worse than some of the famed 'broken' games of last gen.

This only proves that that Metacritic is flawed, not the outlets using the scale for whatever they want.

People could see a game they like inside of a broken experience. There's plenty of justification for various scores. My favorite one: scores are arbitrary, made-up simplifications of opinions.

This has been said many times but the onus on the repercussions from Metacritic do not fall on the critics but publishers if that affects their relationship with developers in negative ways. That 85 developer bonus crap has to go. Plus, Metacritic blows.

I mean

The text review isn't even out yet. What if the reviewer raises good points? What if the reviewer raises bad points?

It is out. And the reviewer raises points. I haven't played the game so can't say whether they are good. They seem valid based on what other reviewers have said.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think gamers as a whole have got way more time and entertainment arguing over The Order's scores than the actual game itself.

By tomorrow it will take longer to read this thread than it will to play through all of The Order.

mclem

Surely the logical conclusion to this is "Therefore, Metacritic's algorithm is inadequate"

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I never really got into Edge, but the Feb issue had a feature about arcade gaming collectors, written by a friend and featuring interviews with 2 friends of mine so I'll have to check the mag out some more... The Alexander O Smith article sounds pretty interesting in particular.

Aces&Eights

I believe any Souls lover out there couldn't give a rat's ass what score Bloodborne ends up getting by the critics. This game is looking to be the epitome of what Miyazaki has envisioned for his franchise and I think it is going to be one of the greatest games ever created.

The wait is so painful.

wow...how do they justify the 4/10 Order score?

Edge is not needed, has the biggest ego that Big Ben of London.

For me give 4 to play as the order only has two reasons. The first trolling. The second have no idea videogames.

A game that has a 10 in graphics,10 of sound an equal solid gameplay that other shooters can not have a 4. It is a bad joke.

Hasney

For me give 4 to play as the order only has two reasons. The first trolling. The second have no idea videogames.

A game that has a 10 in graphics, sound and a 10 on an equal solid gameplay that other shooters can not have a 4. It is a bad joke.

For me it has a 4 story and 5 gameplay. Damn you, opinions!! Especially those boiled down to a numerical score!

King_Moc

Banned

A game that has a 10 in graphics,10 of sound an equal solid gameplay that other shooters can not have a 4. It is a bad joke.

The gameplay is worse than the almost 10 year old game that it apes. The cutscenes are intrusive and boring. The amount of gameplay in it it terrible value for money. Luckily I only lost £2 on it after I sold it.

The Order does have 10 in both sound and graphics. It also has solid gun play but it's just not used right. It's wrong to make The Order as a scapegoat to point out what's so wrong with these type of games but it has to be done for the sake of future games imo.

Truant

Neato Edge gave The Order a score I can agree with.

Based on Edge's policy that 5/10 is a medocre game, I'd argue 4/10 is rather nice of them.

The Order is the first time I've actually felt cheated buying a digital game. I'm never doing that again.

Pezus

This is why I can't take people seriously on Neogaf.

Borrowed it the weekend after it was released because my friend was done with it by then.

That game is anything but fantastic. It the most mediocre to average game to be released this generation. Maybe I wouldn't give it a 4, but I wouldn't go higher than 5.

I don't care how many people have deluded themselves into thinking it was worth $60.

Absolutely incredible graphics though. that's always nice.

Problem is that the average game gets 7/10 nowadays, not 5/10 as it should.

AkuMifune

Banned

I also thought they said the score was coming today.

There's no score. 40 hours with the full game but we won't be putting a number on it until next month.

Edit: Oh. Damn.

Problem is that the average game gets 7/10 nowadays, not 5/10 as it should.

The other problem is that reviewers only use the whole scale on The Order. I don't really disagree with the low scores, but pretending they're consistent is silly.

Josh7289

"Pretentious" is not a synonym for "well-written".

The gameplay is worse than the almost 10 year old game that it apes. The cutscenes are intrusive and boring. The amount of gameplay in it it terrible value for money. Luckily I only lost £2 on it after I sold it.

Make it boring for you does not mean it is for others. Matter of taste.

The Order does have 10 in both sound and graphics. It also has solid gun play but it's just not used right. It's wrong to make The Order as a scapegoat to point out what's so wrong with these type of games but it has to be done for the sake of future games imo.

¿For the sake of future games imo? LoL

Yes, it is much better draw 3 clonic games like COD that innovate greatly. Then we complain that the studies do not dare to do anything different. Hopefully some learn to differentiate own tastes with real game problems.

Auctopus

Holy shit, 4/10. That is very bad, even Edge's standard.

It seem The Order 1886 is completely shit game, very bad un-game. I'm curious why they released it, but at least it ain't unplayable otherwise 1 or 2/10.

I feel sorry for you that you're so easily swayed by other people's opinions. You should probably experience something yourself before calling something 'completely shit'.

Learn this kid.

Gameplay > Graphics

Always.

Good gameplay can make an ugly game play good.
Bad gameplay can make a beautiful game bad.

The Order evidently focuses on just one of them, and by Edge's score is evident they think on my line of tought.

Sushi Nao

Yep 1 grammar error totally invalidates reviews.

It shows failure at several levels. The writer in the first place, the writer's proofreading, and the review editor's quality control.

It doesn't invalidate the review, but it's also not acceptable to publish at that standard.

Learn this kid.

Gameplay > Graphics

Always.

Good gameplay can make an ugly game play good.
Bad gameplay can make a beautiful game bad.

The Order evidently focuses on just one of them, and by Edge's score is evident they think on my line of tought.

Learn this kid.

The sum of the sections of a game make this a good game. The gameplay of the game is just as solid as in other shooters. That you not like the proposal it has also many cinematics, does not make the action parts of the game that this is bad.. You've learned something new.

Pezus

The other problem is that reviewers only use the whole scale on The Order. I don't really disagree with the low scores, but pretending they're consistent is silly.

YEah that's exactly what I mean. The Order's scores would make sense if most games didn't get such inflated scores.

Top Bottom