• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

Not going to pull up and read the Skyward review, but I can see a particular player feeling that the control fidelity, dungeon design, soundtrack, and quite excellent characterization could maybe warrant a 10 there. I wouldnt quite agree, but eh

Not going to pull up and read the Skyward review, but I can see a particular player feeling that the control fidelity, dungeon design, soundtrack, and quite excellent characterization could maybe warrant a 10 there. I wouldnt quite agree, but eh

I'm not sure I'd give it a 10 myself, but I'd certainly consider it. It's a fantastic game and I loved almost everything about the 85 hours I spent with it.

Ninja Dom

Serious Question:

Edge (presumably) got their Switch machine and review copy of Zelda on Tuesday, like all the other press and website outlets.

Is that enough time by Saturday morning to play through, analyse and write a review of Zelda and objectively come to that '10' review score?

Fredrik

Well well, Zelda BOTW getting a 10 from Edge, not bad, not bad at all.
And a 9 to Horizon is fantastic too, Edge can get grumpy for the weirdest things.

oti

Banned
Yeaaaah I need to spend money on Dandy Dungeon. This game is too charming to not give money to the developers.

I haven't played Skyward Sword, but the amount of people in this thread writing off BOTW's 10 because of it is kind of amazing. I mean let's forget the rest of the games that Edge has given a 10 and let's focus on this one point of division, that's the gaf way.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Serious Question:

Edge (presumably) got their Switch machine and review copy of Zelda on Tuesday, like all the other press and website outlets.

Is that enough time by Saturday morning to play through, analyse and write a review of Zelda and objectively come to that '10' review score?
They went straight to ganon

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like some people still think that a 10/10 means it's a perfect games or that everybody has to love it... That's not how it works.

If I don't like the genre the highest reviews won't do shit for me. Bloodbourne got 10s as well but many gamers couldn't care less about that type of experience.

Serious Question:

They didn't receive final hardware until after this issue went to print. They played using Nintendo UK's hardware. Don't know the conditions or time frame.
I'm a new subscriber starting with this issue, when can I expect to get this in the post?
If you're postie is good today, if not early next week.

Serious Question:

They more than likely got it ahead of time which is print magazine protocol.

They employed the good strats.

GZEEEJ.gif

Serious Question:

I actually wondered this myself. My best guess is that printed press maybe got their copies a lot earlier , or a reviewed a close to finish build.

gizio

Man, this year is smth really special, so many good games in a short span of time: Gravity Rush 2, RE VII, Yakuza 0, Nioh and now these glowing reviews for HZD and Zelda BOTW .... and in a few weeks ME Andromeda, Nier Automata and Persona 5. Glad to witness such a fantastic start for 2017.

silva1991

I have been agreeing with EDGE alot for the past few years

TLOU, Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne and The Last Guardian were all my GOTY in their years.

BoTW is gonna be awesome.

jb1234

Was reading the Edge wiki article and noticed this:

The 20th anniversary issue (E258) published in August 2013 carried a feature called "The Ten Amendments", in which the following seven games' scores were retrospectively adjusted to ten-out-of-ten. A rationale was provided for each.

GoldenEye 007 (N64)
Advance Wars (Game Boy Advance)
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube, PlayStation 2, Wii, Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
Drop7 (iOS, Android)
Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Arcade)
Dark Souls (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows)

Hard to argue with those.

Serious Question:

There's a full interview and article on the making of the game. I'd wager EDGE went over to Japan and got some hands on time. It wouldn't be the first time. They have an enviable relationship with the industry at times.

JonCha

Cool score but why did tbey give Skyward Sword a 10? The game, while good and great in many ways, has obvioua flaws on first playthrough. Definitely not a 10.

Their review basically said that it was the full realisation of the Wiimote - and they were right. I seem the be the only person that agrees with them; I loved how that game played.

score01

Seems like some people still think that a 10/10 means it's a perfect games or that everybody has to love it... That's not how it works.

We know that but for a publication that rarely gives out 10/10 it a great sign and confirmation that the game is going to be mega.

The hype of an Edge 10/10 is greater than any other review site around.

I take it the same person didn't write the Horizon and Zelda reviews? Metro's preview has an interesting quote:
"Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda"
http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-l...the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

I'll be getting around to Horizon a little later (Switch is occupying March and Persona 5 is occupying April) but I'm excited to play it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Man, this year is smth really special, so many good games in a short span of time: Gravity Rush 2, RE VII, Yakuza 0, Nioh and now these glowing reviews for HZD and Zelda BOTW .... and in a few weeks ME Andromeda, Nier Automata and Persona 5. Glad to witness such a fantastic start for 2017.
Yes! I have played so many fucking good games in the last 2-3 months. March will be incredible.

skypunch

Banned
They're not going to like the new character artstyles I feel. There's negativity towards it.

Did they give points off of Tales games for their character designs? The only people moaning about the designs are people who spend too much time on gaming forums.

Speely

Banned

It's crazy. So many good games already, soon, and a little ways off. Might be a milestone year.

I gasped when I opened my mail and saw this months cover design. Seriously the last few months of Edge has been stunning, what with Nier and Little Nightmares.

Always a special moment to see an Edge 10, especially when it's one of the first reviews for a game and it can go either way. Last time like this I remember was with The Last of Us, where I called up my Edge subscriber buddy as soon as I saw it to share our collective Edge 10 hype.

Never die Edge magazine.

They didn't receive final hardware until after this issue went to print. They played using Nintendo UK's hardware. Don't know the conditions or time frame.

If you're postie is good today, if not early next week.

Awesome! Fingers crossed. Really pleased to have finally made the commitment, great magazine.

Skyward Sword did its job with the Wii remote. It worked great for me and I loved it. I can understand why it wasn't a 10 for people, but Edge probably had a great experience and it justified the Wii remote and motion controls.

T.O.P

Banned
Was reading the Edge wiki article and noticed this:

The 20th anniversary issue (E258) published in August 2013 carried a feature called "The Ten Amendments", in which the following seven games' scores were retrospectively adjusted to ten-out-of-ten. A rationale was provided for each.

GoldenEye 007 (N64)
Advance Wars (Game Boy Advance)
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube, PlayStation 2, Wii, Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
Drop7 (iOS, Android)
Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Arcade)
Dark Souls (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows)

Hard to argue with those.

Good adjustments, still no Metroid Prime tho :|

Withnail

Why's that? Besides them giving past Zelda titles perfect scores, anyway.

Just that I expected Edge to be quite picky about the writing and characterisation in Horizon. I'm surprised in a good way that they've given it a 9, and it means I'll be picking it up sooner rather than later.

Zelda BotW is clearly going to get very high review scores across the board.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We know that but for a publication that rarely gives out 10/10 it a great sign that the game is going to be mega.
I know. I was more talking about to people going out of their way to prove that the score isn't legit because of past scores they didn't agree with. At the end of the day it means that one person, really liked the game... Not that it's perfect or everyone will feel the same.

pringles

Chill out. I'm buying the game, but it's naive to think brand name doesn't influence its score.
If the majority of Zelda games have not been 10s, despite most of them being fantastic games, what does the brand name influence? Imo, OoT/MM/WW/SS/ALBW/ALttP/LA are all 10/10 games. Seems like Edge is way harder on Zelda. A 10 for BotW is fantastic from them.

I'm not sure we know if it's the same reviewer who gave SS a 10 either?

Top Bottom