• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

Yes, totally. I don't like the game so it's clearly not deserving of a high score. Must be bias towards the franchise.
/s

Only two Zelda games on that list. Skyward Sword was a controversial game for sure, but it was a stellar experience for some.
Exactly this. It's a 10 for me, and I can say that about very few games. Doesn't mean it's not flawed, but I also enjoyed every single second of it, and on the whole, that's the score I would give it.

I know it sounds odd but I'm more impressed with Horizon's 9. Great praise, especially from Edge.

9 means its an amazing game. The difference between a 9 and a 10 is basically a feeling thing. "This game is special - does it make us feel like we did when we played game x". Yes it does. 10/10.

Fredrik

Serious Question:

Edge (presumably) got their Switch machine and review copy of Zelda on Tuesday, like all the other press and website outlets.

Is that enough time by Saturday morning to play through, analyse and write a review of Zelda and objectively come to that '10' review score?
No idea. But have you never said that a game is a 10/10 before completion? In my opinion you know what you want to score a game after just a few hours, especially if it's a 10 because those games just oozes of quality from the very start. I knew Uncharted 4 was a 10 after like 1 hour, maybe 5 hours of Witcher 3, probably 2 hours of Skyrim. I've gamed since the early 80s and I don't think I've ever played a great game that turned bad by the end, not even Mass Effect 3.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
These review scores suggest that 2017 continues to be a crazy year for games. I really hope it finishes strong because this first quarter is setting a pace that would make this one of those special years people remember.

I gasped when I opened my mail and saw this months cover design. Seriously the last few months of Edge has been stunning, what with Nier and Little Nightmares.

Always a special moment to see an Edge 10, especially when it's one of the first reviews for a game and it can go either way. Last time like this I remember was with The Last of Us, where I called up my Edge subscriber buddy as soon as I saw it to share our collective Edge 10 hype.

Never die Edge magazine.

Yeah i just went on their twitter and saw their double page spreads they do on new games. It looks gorgeous. I might pick it up a copy when i out next. You can't beat a well laid out magazine, Cyclist and British journal of photography are awesome too.

tolkir

Skyward Sword did its job with the Wii remote. It worked great for me and I loved it. I can understand why it wasn't a 10 for people, but Edge probably had a great experience and it justified the Wii remote and motion controls.

I'm still waiting for an adventure game with motion controls better than Skyward Sword.

And Red Steel 2 even with its flaws

Milennia

I have literally all of Tuesday and Wednesday as well as most of Thursday to finish horizon before the Zelda rush, save me

ASIS

Why is the BOTW getting a 10 upsetting people or downplaying it? It's a very good score. You should be happy.

Previous Edge 10s for comparison:

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne

I did not enjoy skyward sword at a all. Resr i am okay with.

Yukinari

Skyward Sword did its job with the Wii remote. It worked great for me and I loved it. I can understand why it wasn't a 10 for people, but Edge probably had a great experience and it justified the Wii remote and motion controls.

Id play a Skyward Sword with the more precise control that the Nintendo Land Zelda game had.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
9 means its an amazing game. The difference between a 9 and a 10 is basically a feeling thing. "This game is special - does it make us feel like we did when we played game x". Yes it does. 10/10.

I mean I was half-expecting a 7. Edge aren't easy to please, and can be very stern in their scores sometimes (which I appreciate, really). A new IP in a new genre from a less than favourable developer (Shadow Fall got a 6) was ripe for another 'low' score.

Basically;

Same here. I'd have sooner imagined them being kind of 'meh' about it. Seems to be a really special game.

I like Skyward Sword, but it has pacing issues that really hold it back for me. However, the rest of that list is pretty justifiable, outside of maybe LittleBigPlanet and Rock Band 3.

Salex_

Nioh, Horizon, and Zelda taking all the wins. Damn, how stacked has 2017 been already? I hope there's still some left for the rest of the year

In the remaining first half alone Mass Effect, Nier, Persona 5 (definitely), Tekken 7, and maybe Yooka-Laylee & Crash trilogy has a chance of being as well received as those games. This is shaping up to be one of the strongest first halfs.

If the release dates for announced titles line up, the rest of the year could be even better.

I take it the same person didn't write the Horizon and Zelda reviews? Metro's preview has an interesting quote:
"Having just completed it, we couldn't help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda"
http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-l...the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

I'll be getting around to Horizon a little later (Switch is occupying March and Persona 5 is occupying April) but I'm excited to play it.

If they wanted to mention both games, I'd hope for a more detailed comparison. They're doing completely different things in the open world RPG genre. One is in the realm of TW3 but actually has great combat, and one is focused on providing a sandbox experience. What that reviewer mentioned should be obvious when you're dealing with the kind of physics you see in BOTW.

Mafro

Why is the BOTW getting a 10 upsetting people or downplaying it? It's a very good score. You should be happy.
You should check out the preview thread. People were getting annoyed at the unanimous positivity. It's weird.

watershed

Banned
Serious Question:

Edge (presumably) got their Switch machine and review copy of Zelda on Tuesday, like all the other press and website outlets.

Is that enough time by Saturday morning to play through, analyse and write a review of Zelda and objectively come to that '10' review score?
No review is objective ever. Take this review for what it is: they played it, loved it, and think it is a 10/10. That's subjective like any review ever.

Ninja Dom

No idea. But have you never said that a game is a 10/10 before completion? In my opinion you know what you want to score a game after just a few hours, especially if it's a 10 because those games just oozes of quality from the very start. I knew Uncharted 4 was a 10 after like 1 hour, maybe 5 hours of Witcher 3, probably 2 hours of Skyrim. I've gamed since the early 80s and I don't think I've ever played a great game that turned bad by the end, not even Mass Effect 3.

Oh I'm not doubting the quality of BOTW.

Knowing a game is a 10 after only an hour is a bit too quick. Many games start on such a "high" but fail to maintain that "high" throughout to the end.

I was just under the impression that reviews had played the majority of the game (or completed the game) before giving out a final score.

Previous Edge 10s for comparison:

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3 (I guess you can't innovate much more on this genre, I've not played it so I won't question the 10)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne

It's a solid list with the exception of the two I bolded. Little Big Planet is such a strange game to give a 10, the platforming just isn't great and while the creation tools are vast the UI isn't brilliant.

BeeDog

Awesome about Horizon. Sucks that I didn't get my copy on Friday, and review scores like these make the wait harder.

Zelda getting a 10 feels like a no-brainer. Awesome for Nintendo, too bad I will never be able to play the game. :)

Mr. Sam

My issue arrived this morning and looks to be packed with lots besides the Zelda review. And, FYI, they claim to have played it to completion (for the "How can you give a game a 10 without finishing it?" crowd).

Top Bottom