• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #308 - Far Cry 5

Totakeke

For a high 70s metacritic, ARMS has a good number of reviews that really love the game. A number of the non-scored reviews adore the game as well. For people that the game actually clicks with, the game is amazing. But there's probably also an equal amount of reviewers who find little merit in the game. So the 9 from Edge isn't surprising to me.

KodaRuss

For a high 70s metacritic, ARMS has a good number of reviews that really love the game. A number of the non-scored reviews adore the game as well. For people that the game actually clicks with, the game is amazing. But there's probably also an equal amount of reviewers who find little merit in the game. So the 9 from Edge isn't surprising to me.

It is a little light on content. Hopefully the free dlc really fleshes it out.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Edge scores are a joke, as always.

giphy.gif

Someone please post the "Nintendo Salt" GIF.

😂😂😂

GOTY season & holiday sales numbers are going to be really hard on some folks

Edge scores are a joke, as always.

You can't just say the scores are a joke when you haven't probably played all of these games or, at least, read the reviews to see how the reviewer came to this conclusion.

You're just assuming based on a number, not the content of the review. A review's score matters less than the content of the review in my opinion, which is probably not an opinion that some people have. :p

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks like the old guard can't keep up with the newer competition. I'm glad Edge doesn't hand out scores based on the perception of fanbases.

A six for Tekken 7 is completely fair based on its anemic single player and broken online mode (on PS4). The character endings are pathetic and the story mode is less than 2 hours and not very good. That being said, if you ding tekken for content, ARMS deserves the same treatment, maybe less harsh due to the better functioning online.

They had more fun with Arms? People here axts like it was done by a inexperienced developer when it is made by the same team that made MK8.

Ah, those developers. The ones who put no single player content in MK8 and got 10's while Tekken is held to a different standard.

I'm pretty much a Nintendo fanboy these days but the favoritism is a bit too transparent sometimes.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So happy for ARMS scoring a 9. Well deserved, haven't had this much fun with a fighting game for a long time.
It's a cool game, I'm finding grandprix 4 an exercise in misery and pain though...

Also somewhat interesting I got a Garmin watch a few days back, playing arms elevates my resting heart rate of 75 to up round 105 while playing. Arms is quite literally not 'sitting on your ass playing videogames'

Edit: I'm very happy nintendos sudden storm of being amazing at multi is continuing

BigEmil

ARMS a score:9 but Tekken 7 a score:6?

You got to be joking me

EDGE review scores are always Nintendo biased gives them extra scores

Chauzu

Ah, those developers. The ones who put no single player content in MK8 and got 10's while Tekken is held to a different standard.

I'm pretty much a Nintendo fanboy these days but the favoritism is a bit too transparent sometimes.

I do agree that I get annoyed that no single player in MK8D was totally fine but suddenly in ARMS its a big issue that forces score to cap at 8 for the same reviewers.

The truth is probably something in between I feel... Single player being poor in multiplayer games should be noted but in the end multiplayer experience should be the by far most judged.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's not like every game needs extensive single player to get high scores or the opposite. It's always been an exrremely silly argument or are now going to complain why reviews don't dock off points for shitty multi player gameplay with no life and player base.

The question is whether the content there is enough and of huh quality to justify itself, not whether it reaches some non-existent barometer of enough single player of multi player content.

I do agree that I get annoyed that no single player in MK8D was totally fine but suddenly in ARMS its a big issue that forces score to cap at 8 for the same reviewers.

The truth is probably something in between I feel... Single player being poor in multiplayer games should be noted but in the end multiplayer experience should be the by far most judged.

Mario Kart doesn't need single player because critics can win at multiplayer.

Fighting games need single player because critics can't win at multiplayer.

Sad truth.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm sure you played all these games that only just came out to come to this balanced conclusion.

He has a point when metacritic has arms at 77 and they give it a 9. Actually if you look at a lot of high profile Nintendo games from Edge they barring a few they give high scores for. They gave splatoon a 90 according to metacritic when that game took a while content wise to get to where it is now.

He/she has a point. Tekken is in the 80's on metacritic and a 85 for PC version.

So it feels like it's more of a personal opinion on the game than subjective on it's actually content which it's super light on and has weird unlocks that are set by difficulty and players level.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
He has a point when metacritic has arms at 77 and they give it a 9. Actually if you look at a lot of high profile Nintendo games from Edge they barring a few they give high scores for. They gave splatoon a 90 according to metacritic when that game took a while content wise to get to where it is now.

He/she has a point. Tekken is in the 80's on metacritic and a 85 for PC version.

So it feels like it's more of a personal opinion on the game than subjective on it's actually content which it's super light on and has weird unlocks that are set by difficulty and players level.

isn't that literally what a review is

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

"Every reviewer need to give the same score as everyone has already given the game" dude, come on. Also seriously stop with this crap about reviews not supposed to being subjective, it's seriously some of the dumbest shit I see on gaf. Reviews are inherently personal opinions about games.

Chauzu

I mean, in retrospect, I think most would agree more with EDGE's score rather than the Metacritic score for Splatoon.

Papacheeks

Banned
isn't that literally what a review is

Yes it's your impression but looking at the over all scores for arms and looking at Edge being kind of pro Nintendo since they are based in UK isn't hard to see.

Every fair reviewer out there has at least talked about Arms lack of content, and weird difficulty that locks other modes behind the level of the player.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yes it's your impression but looking at the over all scores for arms and looking at Edge being kind of pro Nintendo since they are based in UK isn't hard to see.

Every fair reviewer out there has at least talked about Arms lack of content, and weird difficulty that locks other modes behind the level of the player.

@ the bolded, are you literally making shit up as you go or something? lol

Top Bottom