• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #309 - Super Mario Odyssey

Three Four covers this month, Dino Mario, Goomba Mario, Koopa Mario and Chain Chomp Mario.

Features
Super Mario Odyssey [Nathan Brown]
The battle to own video gaming's largest and fastest-changing PC-games market: China [Simon Parkin]
The making of... Edith Finch [Chris Schilling]
Studio Profile: 4A Malta [Edwin Evans-Thirlwell]
Time Extend: Patapon [Edwin Evans-Thirlwell]

Previewed
39 page spread of E3 previews.

Reviewed
Nex Machina [9]
Valkyria Revolution [3] / PS4
Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood [8] / PC
Ever Oasis [6]
Black the Fall [7] / PC
Monument Valley 2 [7]
Micro Machines World Series [6] / PS4

subscription info / scores archive

TI82

Banned
I cannot wait for this game, Nintendo has four GOTY contenders this year that is insane and it's only the switches first year.

I need to start Nex Machina again, such a fantastic little game.

I cannot wait for this game, Nintendo has four GOTY contenders this year that is insane and it's only the switches first year.

I doubt we'll see a repeat year for Nintendo, anytime soon.

Sadly goty's and not too much else.
also, im counting 2 with botw and mario. what are the rest?
also if mario is as good as it looks , then the combo wont be back for years

King_Moc

Banned
Sadly goty's and not too much else.
also, im counting 2 with botw and mario. what are the rest?
also if mario is as good as it looks , then the combo wont be back for years

Splatoon 2 will definitely be one. I assume they meant Arms for the other, but I don't see how anyone can say that's on a par with Zelda tbh.

oti

Banned
super-mario-odyssey-edge-cover-2.jpg

cute!

I doubt we'll see a repeat year for Nintendo, anytime soon.
At the moment we've got Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Metroid listed for 2018. Add to that a possible Animal Crossing, Smash Brothers and it's looking pretty good so far.

Spla2n and ARMs

I mean if ARMs matches up to BOTW and mario standards somehow then im sure well get goty's every couple of weeks, no offence lol
and Splatoon honestly could go either way,its not even out, i dont think it or arms will get too many goty's, i dont think either is nearly as exceptional looking as botw or mario, call it nintendo raising the standards or their own or whatever

Zia

I need to stop putting off Nex Machina. Crazy that Jeff Minter and Eugene Jarvis are working on games in 2017 as good as anything they've released.

Also, shame about the lack of reviews for Splatoon 2 and Pyre. Especially the latter as last month they said there would almost certainly be a review this.

TI82

Banned
I mean if ARMs matches up to BOTW and mario standards somehow then im sure well get goty's every couple of weeks, no offence lol
and Splatoon honestly could go either way,its not even out, i dont think it or arms will get too many goty's, i dont think either is nearly as exceptional looking as botw or mario, call it nintendo raising the standards or their own or whatever

Oh yeah BOTW and Mario are definitely top quality, just different genres and tastes. I also love love love Splatoon so there's that

Pachael

The China article could be interesting, but I thought Tencent has it pretty sewn up between itself, Riot, Supercell and its stakes in Epic and ActiBlizz.

Anything interesting in the Mario Odyssey preview?
The cap mechanic is so core to the game that if you try to play it like 64 or Sunshine you won't get far apparently. This has allowed the level designers to get more creative. A lot of the appeal is throwing your cap at something and the results being something you have never done in a a Mario game before.

Each world has its own currency. You can buy souvenirs with the currency to decorate Mario's ship or buy outfits. They didn't come away impressed by the co-op (Cappy getting stuck in some areas, struggling to keep up) but it does make some of the challenges easier.

Spla2n and ARMs

ARMs isn't a GoTY contender. While it is subjective, objectively speaking, that game isn't going to be held in anywhere near the same high regard as Zelda or Mario will be when it comes to voting at the end of the year outside of GAF and other Nintendo-centric sites.

The cap mechanic is so core to the game that if you try to play it like 64 or Sunshine you won't get far apparently. This has allowed the level designers to get more creative. A lot of the appeal is throwing your cap at something and the results being something you have never done in a a Mario game before.

Each world has its own currency. You can buy souvenirs with the currency to decorate Mario's ship or buy outfits. They didn't come away impressed by the co-op (Cappy getting stuck in some areas, struggling to keep up) but it does make some of the challenges easier.

So many people are going to hate this game then just as they did with BOTW just because it's different...

So many people are going to hate this game then just as they did with BOTW just because it's different...
Nathan's preview was very much coloured by his experience of playing BOTW and he discusses that with Koizumi. However this game has a very intricate, densely packed level design rather than a sprawling open world.

I'm prepared to be disappointed based on what I've seen. But it still has something appealing [to me] that 3D World didn't.

Moose84

The Wii U had five GOTY contenders back in 2014: Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Smash, Shovel Knight and DKC Tropical Freeze

Ridley327

The Wii U had five GOTY contenders back in 2014: Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Smash, Shovel Knight and DKC Tropical Freeze

That's kind of his point, though. It took two years for the Wii U to resemble anything like firing on all cylinders, whereas the Switch is doing that in its first nine months.

Top Bottom