• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #309 - Super Mario Odyssey

Amazing to see how one little comment of someone loving some Switch games gets taken so personal by people here.

Guys, you don't have to take someone else's love for something as an insult. It's ok, he likes different things then you. /condescension.

TI82

Banned
Ah yes, how could I forget critical darling, global phenomenon and game of the year candidate...

...Arms.

Bye Persona 5. Bye Red Dead Redemption 2. Hello...

...Arms.

Persona 5 is superb, red dead isn't even coming out this year, and arms is great. No need to be rude they aren't even in the same categories.

Servbot24

Banned
Persona 5 is superb, red dead isn't even coming out this year, and arms is great. No need to be rude they aren't even in the same categories.

Every game competes in the same category when it comes to GOTY. Forgot that RDR2 was delayed, but there are still at least 20 games coming this year more likely to win than Arms.

That said I'm coming from the perspective of where critical consensus and GAF voting will land, in which case Arms will not be close to a contender, but it if it's your personal fav that's cool of course.

Zia

Ah yes, how could I forget critical darling, global phenomenon and game of the year candidate...

...Arms.

Bye Persona 5. Bye Red Dead Redemption 2. Hello...

...Arms.

ARMS has done really well among the respected outlets. Would also bet cash money on it landing on EDGE's GotY list over Persona 5.

Servbot24

Banned
ARMS has done really well among the respected outlets. Would also bet cash money on it landing on EDGE's GotY list over Persona 5.

It's done respectably, but I don't know that "look at the reviews" is the best way to stand up for the game being the best game of the year, given that reviews are fairly middle of the road. No idea about the personal preferences of writer's for Edge magazine, but I don't doubt there are people whose opinions differ from the norm.

Anyways this is all off topic so I'll leave it at that

Greenymac

That's kind of his point, though. It took two years for the Wii U to resemble anything like firing on all cylinders, whereas the Switch is doing that in its first nine months.

I wouldn't exactly say that. Only game I have on Switch so far is mk8d. I'm waiting for more games.

Servbot24

Banned
That's kind of his point, though. It took two years for the Wii U to resemble anything like firing on all cylinders, whereas the Switch is doing that in its first nine months.

I hope this is not Switch firing on all cylinders. Would be a bit disappointing to only get 3 games per year on it... though it would save me some money I guess, lol.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
EDGE, gamesTM, Official PlayStation, Official Xbox, Games Master, PC Gamer, Retro Gamer and seemingly about 5 different magazines dedicated to Minecraft.

Man...

I remember when there used to be at least 6 or 7 seperate playstation mags available let alone all the others.

I hope this is not Switch firing on all cylinders. Would be a bit disappointing to only get 3 games per year on it... though it would save me some money I guess, lol.

3 games ?

BOTW, Marko Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Oddessey, Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade 2, Pokken Tournament, Rocket League, and Nba2k18. I am sure I missed some too but that's way more then 3 games...

EmiPrime

Man...

I remember when there used to be at least 6 or 7 seperate playstation mags available let alone all the others.

At least the Official PlayStation mag is now top quality (god, it used to be dreadful some years), no dedicated Nintendo magazine is the saddest absence. :(

budpikmin

How come Edge is the only magazine that gets threads like this?

Edge's brilliant articles imo keep in relevant in an online age where other publications feel pointless. Couple that with their well written reviews and scores that are usually lower than elsewhere and you have a magazine with a unique level of prestige.

Fiendcode

If all 3 games are legit goty level classics I will certainly be okay with it, but that's unlikely to be the case, just because of how difficult it is to produce masterpiece level games consistently.
Zelda clearly is, Mario likely will be. Only question is up the 3rd (Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2).

Nitty_Grimes

Yeah, I have the last official nintendo mag and the unofficial one too.

Thing is, as we know, they are so out of date with the advent of the internet, its not a no shit sherlock comment either.

I mean Edge are doing their E3 review in this issue for example, everyone knows what was at E3 by now.

Yeah, when it comes to GOTY talk, I don't think ARMS is going to get much of a look in. With Edge it will since they gave it a 9, but in general? Nah. Especially not in a year like 2017.

Nitty_Grimes

Yeah, when it comes to GOTY talk, I don't think ARMS is going to get much of a look in. With Edge it will since they gave it a 9, but in general? Nah. Especially not in a year like 2017.

True, haven't even considered an Arms purchase.

The cap mechanic is so core to the game that if you try to play it like 64 or Sunshine you won't get far apparently. This has allowed the level designers to get more creative. A lot of the appeal is throwing your cap at something and the results being something you have never done in a a Mario game before.

Interesting, reading that at first made it sound like it would be a point of criticism but it seems they like that decision. This is going to be another game about discovery it seems, so hopefully they don't show too much before it releases.

Servbot24

Banned
Zelda clearly is, Mario likely will be. Only question is up the 3rd (Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2).

Yeah, this year is looking good. The question is if they will repeat year after year. At some point the big games in a year will be Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing and Donkey Kong. Now those are all games that I'm actually quite interested in playing, but others would look at it and be very disappointed and find it to be a dead year.

This is the problem that Nintendo tends to have. If you want to play every game they make, you'll be okay. But many people don't want to just play every game they make, they would like some options to choose from. I don't care about multiplayer games, so Switch is basically stored away for me until Mario.

You guys treat GOTYs with as much bureaucratic overanalysis as a general election, jeez.

It's video game enthusiast forum.

sanstesy

Interesting, reading that at first made it sound like it would be a point of criticism but it seems they like that decision. This is going to be another game about discovery it seems, so hopefully they don't show too much before it releases.

Why would it indicate a point of criticsm? That's like saying power-ups are a criticsm towards the Galaxy and 3D games. They just never appeared as organically as they did in Odyssey.

Fiendcode

Yeah, this year is looking good. The question is if they will repeat year after year. At some point the big games in a year will be Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing and Donkey Kong. Now those are all games that I'm actually quite interested in playing, but others would look at it and be very disappointed and find it to be a dead year.

This is the problem that Nintendo tends to have. If you want to play every game they make, you'll be okay. But many people don't want to just play every game they make, they would like some options to choose from. I don't care about multiplayer games, so Switch is basically stored away for me until Mario.
Well next year has Metroid, Pokemon and Fire Emblem among it's potentials already. We'll have to see year to year but Nintendo pretty consistently puts out a ton of software annually, in nearly every genre, and now that's being consolidated on a single platform with Switch.

3rd parties are relatively light this year but I'd also expect that to change in the future the way Switch is selling. I'm not too worried about future software selection on the system.

It's video game enthusiast forum.
So that's why it has to be boring? Why do you only care about the general consensus of GOTY winners? Whenever anyone is talking GOTY contenders, they usually mean their personal picks. Not this tactical voting thing like an election where all the lists will look the same.

Servbot24

Banned
Well next year has Metroid, Pokemon and Fire Emblem among it's potentials already. We'll have to see year to year but Nintendo pretty consistently puts out a ton of software annually, in nearly every genre, and now that's being consolidated on a single platform with Switch.

3rd parties are relatively light this year but I'd also expect that to change in the future the way Switch is selling. I'm not too worried about future software selection on the system.

I hope so, but I've owned every Nintendo console other than NES and that has basically never been the case. I know Switch is supposed to be different, but I'm still going to have to see it to believe it. The idea of significant 3rd party support basically feels like a wild fantasy rather than a looming reality.

So that's why it has to be boring? Why do you only care about the general consensus of GOTY winners? Whenever anyone is talking GOTY contenders, they usually mean their personal picks. Not this tactical voting thing like an election where all the lists will look the same.

I actually care much more about individual choices rather than the consensus. However in some conversational contexts, such as when talking about a system's place in the industry, the consensus does matter.

Servbot24

Banned
That nex machina score is dead on. Bravo to Housemarque.

Also Why has this thread become a GOTY discussion?

Yeah, Nex Machina is great. Awesome to see it recognized.

And I guess just because it's an open thread more or less, there's not really a specific topic to it.

How come Edge is the only magazine that gets threads like this?

Because it's the only magazine of its kinda really, a properly grown up games magazine which has a lot of focus on games design and industry issues. People focus on the reviews because its a trusted magazine, but we all know that it's the big six page spreads about some interesting independent developer that we'll be enjoying the most when we pick up the magazine.

Also- Edge is British, and focuses on UK devs and industry a lot, which gets lost in the US dominated online world.

But Edge is just generally the best IMO. It's like for music you read The Wire, for film you read Sight and Sound, for games you read Edge.

Yeah, Nex Machina is great. Awesome to see it recognized.

And I guess just because it's an open thread more or less, there's not really a specific topic to it.

Well it's about the recent edge, with no mention of GOTY.

Meanwhile the sadness of Sega guiding such a promising series as Valkyria Chronicles into oblivion is being largely overlooked 😔

Fiendcode

I hope so, but I've owned every Nintendo console other than NES and that has basically never been the case. I know Switch is supposed to be different, but I'm still going to have to see it to believe it. The idea of significant 3rd party support basically feels like a wild fantasy rather than a looming reality.
You can have significant 3rd party support without it being dominant 3rd party support. Sega consoles and Nintendo handhelds are pretty good historical examples of that. Even some Nintendo consoles after they hit their rut (post-SNES, not really NES as you said) varied to some degree with Gamecube and Wii still getting pretty decent 3rd party support in spite of the circumstances against them.

Of course at this point I've lost sight of the goalposts. Mario Odyssey GOTY potential -> Switch firing on all cylinders this year -> Switch firing on all cylinders every year -> Switch getting significant 3rd party support. Where would you like to go next?

Why would it indicate a point of criticsm? That's like saying power-ups are a criticsm towards the Galaxy and 3D games. They just never appeared as organically as they did in Odyssey.

I just mean the way it's written makes it seem like they were going to criticize the reliance on the capture mechanic, but they seem to recognize that it allows for much more creative level design. Which is a good thing.

My subs copy just arrived.

Congratz, but foreign delivery sucks though :( I've contacted EDGE myself why myfavoritemagazines.co.uk makes such a mess of this. It is a widespread and ongoing problem according to EDGE.

They're not joking. I haven't received the subscribers editions of EDGE 304/305/306/307/308 and probably won't get 309 either. I did get the replacements copies after contacting them, but for a long time subsciber and magazines collector ( almost 14 years EDGE sub ) this is a fucking nightmare.

I love reading EDGE, but this is getting on my nerves.

Servbot24

Banned
You can have significant 3rd party support without it being dominant 3rd party support. Sega consoles and Nintendo handhelds are pretty good historical examples of that. Even some Nintendo consoles after they hit their rut (post-SNES, not really NES as you said) varied to some degree with Gamecube and Wii still getting pretty decent 3rd party support in spite of the circumstances against them.

Of course at this point I've lost sight of the goalposts. Mario Odyssey GOTY potential -> Switch firing on all cylinders this year -> Switch firing on all cylinders every year -> Switch getting significant 3rd party support. Where would you like to go next?

DS is probably the one console where I was quite happy with 3rd party support. In general I buy Nintendo consoles fully aware I'll only get a couple games a year and it's more of a supplement to PlayStation. But it still kind of nags at you, like... ack, what if Nintendo could do a better job at sustaining these.

Conversation isn't a competition, I'm not trying to score goals here. :p

Fiendcode

DS is probably the one console where I was quite happy with 3rd party support. In general I buy Nintendo consoles fully aware I'll only get a couple games a year and it's more of a supplement to PlayStation. But it still kind of nags at you, like... ack, what if Nintendo could do a better job at sustaining these.

Conversation isn't a competition, I'm not trying to score goals here. :p
Even without 1st party support I'd say most Nintendo platforms were worth owning. The only ones that weren't were probably N64 and Wii U. And Pokemon Mini if that counts. I guess we can get into the weeds on what "significant" actually means but it's not mutually exclusive with "supplemental" either.

Top Bottom