• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Van Bur3n

Is TW3 too low or should it not be on the list? Can go either way with GAF lol.

Bruv, it should be at the very top. Right up there with Fallout New Vegas and the rest of my favorite games. Motherfucking above that list of shit that's ranked above it. Far Cry 4. Far Cry 4? Who in the fucking fuck cares about Far Cry 4? I sure don't, lemme tells ya.

i have played neither farcry4 or witcher 3, but it seems that putting fc4 above w3 is kind of insane if you are trying for an objective list.

also putting starcraft 2 ahead of broodwar is insance, especially considering bw actually has the a bigger community than sc2 even after 20 years.

and botw is no good for number 1. objectively it should obviously be last of us

TSM

The entire top 5 is games from the last decade? That's just ridiculous.

Frankly the inclusion of those particular classics in the top 20 of the list looks more like an attempt to legitimize the list than a list by people that have played enough older games to make an all time list.

pablito

Bruv, it should be at the very top. Right up there with Fallout New Vegas and the rest of my favorite games. Motherfucking above that list of shit that's ranked above it. Far Cry 4. Far Cry 4? Who in the fucking fuck cares about Far Cry 4? I sure don't, lemme tells ya.

tumblr_mum757G5wq1rkiuhro1_500.gif

Van Bur3n

Jesus Christ, there isn't even a Deus Ex game on this list.

Goodness me. I will not acknowledge this list further. It does not exist anymore. It does not. I don't know what any of you are talking about in this thread because you're talking about something that isn't real.

Terrible list (IMO) no FFVI, FFIX, Chrono Trigger, Resident Evil 2 or Remake, Silent Hill 2, etc etc. The top 10 is terrible ( RE4, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Ocarina deserves a spot) Metroid Prime and Castlevania are too low, Breath of the Wild is not even in top 3 Zelda games ( for me).

Kyoufu

It's sad XII is on the list when it's a middle of the road game. FFVII or FFIX should've been on there.

Edge are big fans of XII (with good reason) and since their rules state they can only list games that hold up today, I'd say XII is a very strong choice.

Again, opinions.

DxD

Banned
Edge are big fans of XII (with good reason) and since their rules state they can only list games that hold up today, I'd say XII is a very strong choice.

Again, opinions.

But all the SNES games hold up today...Sprite based games are released every day.
I can play CT and FF6 right now and the graphic still looks good.

But yeah...They keep making up rules, but they don't even follow them.
Majority of the list is just Zelda and Mario.

silva1991

Hey man, it's a different Link each game.

(I got nothing). Also there's two Fire Emblem games as well. Strange

Really strange. Just because those Zelda and Mario games aren't part of two big series's

Final Fantasy games are even less related due to different characters and stories entirely.

Van Bur3n

Where's Halo 1?

I know the halo franchise is terrible these days. But the first still holds up well.

Now, now. Halo 3 took its spot. Only one game per series. The rules are the rules. Unless it's Zelda. We have a hard on for that one so we're going to word our rules just a bit to allow all of them Zelda games.

Oh yeah, this list still isn't real by the way. I only speak of a theoretical list with shitty rules and poor taste.

Majmun

Zelda BOTW isn't even a top 10 game in 2017 for me.

Uncharted 4 and Horizon are way too high. Don't even know what they're doing there. And too many classics are missing

List is shit. But so is probably mine according to many. Lists never win.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I can't remember the last time I agreed with Edge on anything.

Phediuk

Terrible list. It's like they just put the first games that came to mind from the last couple of years along with some classics for street cred.

correojon

The purpose of this list is to have it change from year to year and keep it alive, instead of having an immovable top 100 made of games protected by nostalgia or industry influence. As such, it makes perfect sense for the game that best reviewed in the last 20 years to take the top spot.
There's no conspiracy, BotW is an incredible game. Tropical Freeze not making the list is what everyone should be criticizing, it's the best 2D platformer since SMW and deserved a spot. Modern 2D platformers are severely underrepresented.

redcrayon

Top five all happening to be from the last decade is ridiculous.

Lots of recent games listed throughout, I suppose that's what the audience wants to see, or maybe it just generates more discussion than seeing a list of games we've talked about for decades already. No idea what Fire Emblem: Fates is doing on there, and I'm a big fan of the series.

Timeaisis

As much as I love the games on the top five, they are way too recent. Not that they are not good, but there are others better

Uncharted 4 in the top 20 is a joke. Super Mario 64 is too low. So is Metroid Prime. MGS3 being absent is a huge oversight, at least in my opinion.

Other than that, the list is... Safe but good? I'm surprised at the top 5. Not disappointed, just surprised.

Edit: oh no Chrono Trigger is missing completely...uh.

Phediuk

Why do they say there's only one entry per series allowed but then put a bunch of Mario and Zelda games in? Are those exempt for some reason?

DxD

Banned
The purpose of this list is to have it change from year to year and keep it alive, instead of having an immovable top 100 made of games protected by nostalgia or industry influence. As such, it makes perfect sense for the game that best reviewed in the last 20 years to take the top spot.
There's no conspiracy, BotW is an incredible game. Tropical Freeze not making the list is what everyone should be criticizing, it's the best 2D platformer since SMW and deserved a spot. Modern 2D platformers are severely underrepresented.

Nah. Awful way to create a list.

This would mean that Justin Bieber is the best songwriter ever, beaten out the "old" generation like Mozart.
While Vanilla Ice is a top 20 artists because it is still fresh.

redcrayon

Why do they say there's only one entry per series allowed but then put a bunch of Mario and Zelda games in? Are those exempt for some reason?
It's 'straight-up sequels' that are disallowed. Generally AAA games that release every other year are far more similar than, say, Breath of the Wild and Link to the Past releasing 25 years apart.

ryseing

Fates is better than Awakening lmao.

No. No, it isn't. And don't come at me with the "but Conquest has interesting maps mid-late game" crap.

Fates doesn't even have a name for the continent it takes place on. Considering how crucial world building is to Fire Emblem...

Awakening at least has interesting ties to the earlier games that Echoes expanded on quite nicely.

If a Fire Emblem is going to be on a top 100 of all time list it should be 7. I'd fight for Radiant Dawn but it doesn't work without its prequel.

Oh god DKTF should be in there because I think it's the greatest 2D Platformer ever. Too bad the media lashed out against it.

City 17

Compared to their 2015 list (at OP), their Top 15 hasn't changed one bit, bar the inclusion of BotW.

QFhvmJk.jpg

The rest see more changes, but the base seems to be the same.

Van Bur3n

Zelda BOTW isn't even a top 10 game in 2017 for me.

Uncharted 4 and Horizon are way too high. Don't even know what they're doing there. And too many classics are missing

List is shit. But so is probably mine according to many. Lists never win.

There have been good lists before. I recall IGN surprisingly making a pretty good list of top 100 RPGs, that fucking trumped Game Informer's list of 100 RPGs that was coincidentally going on at the same time as IGN's list.

Sure there will be a few things that will be pointed out, but a good list with an overall consensus of good games going for it is possible. As is possible for there to be a utterly terrible list. Especially when your lists sets ground rules it doesn't even follow.

Fucking "each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance", yet Earthbound is fucking on there. Not saying Earthbound ain't playable these days, but there are many classic games that are playable today that are absent here. Absent in exchange for some random fucking games that no one (again, Far Cry 4, fucking random as fuck) cares about. And I'm going to be honest here. I like Super Hexagon. It's a fun little game to play for a few minutes when you're bored. But they're telling me that is one of the top 100 games ever over so many great classics that are still very playable today? Eat my ass.

Oh, theoretically, of course, if such a terrible list were made by some terrible magazine.

Top Bottom